• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Card Game

Pythagoras

Smash Rookie
Looks really interesting dude! I hope this goes well and you get some recognition!
I checked out the website and it seems like a neat game :)

RogerBidon

Smash Cadet
Wow! Impressive work! I'll definitely give it a try for christmas with my family.

If I can do an early suggestion, you could put an example of game proceeding in the rules. It is pretty standard in card games rules-book and really helps figuring the meaning of rules.

Gruntydance

Smash Rookie
Wow! Impressive work! I'll definitely give it a try for christmas with my family.

If I can do an early suggestion, you could put an example of game proceeding in the rules. It is pretty standard in card games rules-book and really helps figuring the meaning of rules.
I really want to do this, I just lack the means to do it currently. I've been trying to get a friend of mine to help me out, but he's always busy.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Looks VERY interesting. Hopefully Mr. Game & Watch makes it in. I am pleased to see this happening. :)

Gruntydance

Smash Rookie
Looks VERY interesting. Hopefully Mr. Game & Watch makes it in. I am pleased to see this happening. :)
Mr. G&W is actually leading the current polls on the facebook group! I lack the ability to work on the project currently, but he should be in the works within the next two weeks or so.

RogerBidon

Smash Cadet
I am back, having played your game during the holiday, here are my thought on it. As we only played simplified "For fun" rules and never even read advanced ones, all the following is only about these rules.

The game was nice to play, we particularly loved your main mechanic of showing your hand turn by turn, then playing one card from it. I never saw that system and is fertile for thinking like “I should play that, but he will counter with this, let's play something else, except if he counters...” à la David Sirlin.

We also noted the troubles we had, if the list is long it is only because we played a lot, not because the game is bad.

It would have been handy to have premade decks to print. As I had to print cards before reading the rules in detail, I printed two of each card. Later I discovered that we were forced to terribly break deck building rules since we had only two shields each but lots of attacks. Having premade decks for beginners would avoid that, and allow to simplify the rules by replacing deck building with “go with the premade deck for your character.”

Rules for losing a stock were not clear. We decided that going offstage was immediately losing a stock and returning to neutral.

Stage banning for the selection is too complex for what it brings in “For fun”. I'd suggest something along the lines “do rock-paper-scissor, the winner chooses the stage”. Anyway we went for the only one I printed and ignored special rules.

In “Trading & Stalemate”, the rules do not state what happen if one player does nothing. In our case, we went for “doing nothing versus shield resets phase to neutral”, but only after extensive arguing.

In “Combos”, on the last point “This is repeated until...” What is repeated? We understood it as repeat from “5 cards are drawn”. Re-reading the rules it seems that only the last point is to be repeated.

Another things in “Combos” is that it is written like the defensive player may have something to say (we suspect a leftover from the advanced ruleset). Especially, there is no actual need to show three cards, get it back to hand, then play it freely. We simply went with “play up to three cards freely”.

Once again, your game is great. Thank you for the impressive work done and for sharing it.

Gruntydance

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the late response. I don't check here very often. The rules have been dramatically updated within the last month, so if you check back again, things should be a lot more clear. If you do have any more questions, the easiest place to catch me is on the Facebook page www.facebook.com/groups/smashbroscard game. I'll usually respond within the hour. If you are having trouble understanding the rules, it would be very helpful to me to have a discussion with you and figure out how I can reword things to make it more understandable. Thank you for giving my game a shot! I'm glad you liked it.

Top Bottom