• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Box Reaches Kickstarter Goal

Do you think the Smash Box should be tournament-legal?

• Yes

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 57 39.6%

• Total voters

On March 29, the arcade stick-like Smash Box controller, designed by Hit Box, passed its Kickstarter goal of $50,000. With less than three days to go, 241 backers came together to ensure the creation and distribution of the Gamecube controller-alternative would see the light of day.

Though there is still some time before the Smash Box will see a large-scale release, backers who donated $400 or more will receive an alpha build of the arcade-style controller, including a new curved button layout. Backers who contributed $200 will receive the final build, along with a t-shirt and button.

The legality of the Smash Box is still quite a hot topic in the Smash community. The new controller has polarized both top players and commentators, with some pushing for the future of Smash in the form of the Smash Box, while others find it to be too advantageous versus the classic GameCube controller. With a high entry point, the Smash Box is not as readily accessible as the GameCube controller, but it is hard to deny its versatility.

Let us know in the comments what you think about the Smash Box!

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew "Rikutsu" Hernandez

Comments

Since many tournaments uses an arcade stick for fighting games, why not let Smash Bros have this too?

Seems legit. There are some people who loves to mash buttons, and this might as well be the answer for those folks. Don't exactly see a reason as to why it shouldn't be legal as of yet.

This is like saying: "Well cars have 4 wheels let's [attempt to] improve them by giving them 5 wheels!"

If it ain't broke don't... well, you know.

Right...it's a decent concept, but am I the only one that thinks it appears awkward and otherwise bulky to use relative to the Wii U Gamepad?

Yeah...I'll be sticking with a Gamecube controller, thank you.

I see nothing wrong with it being legal. Using this thing proficiently at a high skill level is really impressive, so if you're getting your Ass beat by a guy using this, Either, A: You suck. or B: That guy rely knows how to use it.

I just don't like the "high entry point" part of it. This thing costs more than the CRTV, Gamecube, and game (Melee) needed to use it. In the case that this becomes a common controller, only the top players that can afford this thing will be able to effectively use it, giving them even more of an edge because obviously there are advantages.

They apparently aren't going to make any significant changes to the controller layout-- hax basically said that it's painful to use efficiently and within minutes of use the buyer would regret the decision to buy the product, and would be extremely uncomfortable to use. I guess we'll see, right?

I had genuinely hoped this could help players with arthritis and carpal tunnel and act as a way to let people with hand problems still compete or even play at a casual level. But it's sadly turned into a circus show of both does it offer advantages over a gamecube controller and the whole smashbox vs b0XX drama. More likely than not both sides probably ripped off from each other and the people will be the ones to suffer.
It will be sad for those that donated hundreds of dollars to use one in tournament then have it be deemed not legal.

Ok its cool that it can make hax$ come back but thats it if we lettin people have an advantage we might as well turn handicap on

In all honesty, I dont think it should be tournament legal. I understand its meant to help out people who normally have trouble using the controllers (like myself). However, we would have to think about everyone as a whole too. How would it benefit them as well?

Well, it is broke. This would help top level players avoid hand injuries by a noticeable amount.
I wouldn't say that is a definite flaw because it's purely circumstantial. Not everyone who plays competetive Smash with a GC controller will have hand problems as a result. If it was all-around a 100% certainty, then yes.

However, it seems more like an appealing alternative to those who do have hand problems as you mentioned, rather than just something everyone else should/could use.

Last edited:
Is there a reason looking at this makes me feel weird? Like half terror, half disgust? And maybe that this would be unfair or something?

I believe it should be legal. Nothing's stopping everyone else from using the same controller if they think it's so much better than GCC. Similar argument goes for the CSS: if you think the other guy's character is so much better, nothing prevents you from choosing it as well.

A lot of people here don't seem to know about some of the things that make it controversial and put it in the spotlight of legal or no.

One of the many things that could be talked about is that every thing is digital. With the GameCube controller not all the inputs are digital. This is what allows you to do things like make your shield bigger aka light shield along with things like shield tilting.

Another is that the digital input allows you to dash and do other things a frame earlier. Of course that won't give you a complete edge in everything but in case of two Fox's or a Falco shining at the same time, that could be the difference between who's move comes out first.

I may be a little off on some of these things but there is more to it than just having the buttons in a different layout and I encourage the people who are voting on whether it should be legal or not to go research and educate yourself on it so you aren't blindly voting.

I believe it should be legal. Nothing's stopping everyone else from using the same controller if they think it's so much better than GCC. Similar argument goes for the CSS: if you think the other guy's character is so much better, nothing prevents you from choosing it as well.
One problem with this example. It doesn't cost 400$ to main a top tier.

Last edited:
The legality conversation has to move over for the vs B0XX drama. Speaking of which, smashbox has to catch up to Hax's arguments

The legality conversation has to move over for the vs B0XX drama. Speaking of which, smashbox has to catch up to Hax's arguments
Why should legality conversation stop? If the poll on this article is any indication, there is still plenty of us who feel the controller isn't fit for tournaments. The fact that once learned the smashboxx is a direct upgrade from the Gamecube controller is enough to warrant a ban from tournaments.

I just don't like the "high entry point" part of it. This thing costs more than the CRTV, Gamecube, and game (Melee) needed to use it. In the case that this becomes a common controller, only the top players that can afford this thing will be able to effectively use it, giving them even more of an edge because obviously there are advantages.
A fair point. I would like to see the demand of this controller in the future and how it's price will change as a result.

Top Bottom