• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Boards App?

Should Smashboards.com have a mobile app?

• Yes (Both iOS and Android)

• Yes (iOS only)

• Yes (Android Only)

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

[] SUND4NCE []

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6661-2927
I barely get a lot of time to check on here on my desktop, and i'm curious if there is a smashboards.com app on the Apple app store or the Google Play store? I have a Smash Bros Amino account as well, but i'd like to be able to access this site without having to go onto my browser every time on my phone. It would help with management among other things, and i'd be able to access the site more with my daily schedule.

If there is a smashboards.com app, could someone tell me where to look in a reply to this thread?
If not, i'd like to propose the idea of developing a Smash Boards app in the future, preferably on Google Play, if not both.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't see why not. It's a good idea!

...when it's not Crashboards :troll:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There's no SmashBoards app right now.

Seems like an interesting idea to me. Considering the hours I spend on the site each day, an app would definitely simplify it. Although I wish it would work with tapatalk (inb4 it does)

:231:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've moved the thread here since I feel it fits better here than in the NintenZone. :p

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I would honestly love an app, but I think I can get along just fine with the mobile web version.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
An Smashboards app might be a cool idea. It could be much easier than using the web version of the site.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I want a smashboards app because my ipad always logs me out of my account, even when I just switch tabs for too long. I'd assume an app wouldn't log me out.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
There's no SmashBoards app right now.

Seems like an interesting idea to me. Considering the hours I spend on the site each day, an app would definitely simplify it. Although I wish it would work with tapatalk (inb4 it does)

I had mention this to @Flight before, but he had pointed out that the app might have a chance to get removed by Nintendo.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I had mention this to @Flight before, but he had pointed out that the app might have a chance to get removed by Nintendo.
Unless it is not on app store and download by website very similar to gba4ios on ios devices, and movie box for android.
EDIT: Though with the gba4ios situation going around, an iphone update may swoop in and the app could no longer be supported because it is not app store downloaded

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is no Smashboards application available at this time. This site heavily revolves around discussion surrounding a Nintendo franchise, so you'd have to ask Nintendo of America for permission if you want to use Nintendo characters for the application, because otherwise, it wouldn't be a Smash-related application any longer. I know this because the forum site I came from tried to launch an application on both iOS and Android (plus Kindle devices), and ultimately failed to do so thanks to that reason. Should you avoid asking NoA for permission, you'll most likely end up recieving a cease and desist letter from them ordering you to take it down.

That being said, I wouldn't be against an application, as long as it does things right, and if it's an overall improvement over the mobile version of the site.

Well, Tapatalk is apparently compatible with XenForo, so it should.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
An app would be nice considering I'm on the mobile version. But I don't really think were going to get one.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
There is no Smashboards application available at this time. This site heavily revolves around discussion surrounding a Nintendo franchise, so you'd have to ask Nintendo of America for permission if you want to use Nintendo characters for the application, because otherwise, it wouldn't be a Smash-related application any longer.
Would this be due to the advertisements on the site or what? Surely a free app that just pulls data from the already existing servers wouldn't be a cause for alarm. I can't possibly imagine how an app like that would be any less legal than the site itself.

Are you assuming the app would come packaged with data other than code to display on the device? It would be easier on bandwidth if the site's images (main background, premium posts' backgrounds, icons, etc.) came with the app installation, I suppose, but they could also just be downloaded and stored once the app is launched. The main background is ~574KB, and the premium post backgrounds are likely all less than 100KB (based off of checking yours, which is ~74KB). I'm not entirely certain as to how app development would work, but I would assume it could download premium post backgrounds when needed, and remove them when they're no longer in the page you're viewing. There are a lot of them, so I would imagine it would be best to do it this way (or better yet, give the user an option to load them all upon launch and keep them around or to only load them when needed).

Maybe I'm missing something, though. I've always figured there was no app because there was "no need." Browsing on my phone, however, is a bit of a hassle as often times the page will load entirely, only for all of its content to then disappear. I've tried spoofing a desktop device as well, but it doesn't help. Browsers in general are pretty heavy on resources, too, so I personally would really enjoy a lightweight alternative. I can assure you that if there was a Smashboards app available, I would be spending a lot more time reading up on characters and posting like an idiot. Again, I don't quite understand the problem with development. If you can fill in any of the gaps I have, please do so. I've been wanting an app for a while now.

at the very least give me a black market app please i am desperate

Last edited:

[] SUND4NCE []

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6661-2927
There is no Smashboards application available at this time. This site heavily revolves around discussion surrounding a Nintendo franchise, so you'd have to ask Nintendo of America for permission if you want to use Nintendo characters for the application, because otherwise, it wouldn't be a Smash-related application any longer. I know this because the forum site I came from tried to launch an application on both iOS and Android (plus Kindle devices), and ultimately failed to do so thanks to that reason. Should you avoid asking NoA for permission, you'll most likely end up recieving a cease and desist letter from them ordering you to take it down.

That being said, I wouldn't be against an application, as long as it does things right, and if it's an overall improvement over the mobile version of the site.

Well, Tapatalk is apparently compatible with XenForo, so it should.
My only issue with that is, "There's a Smash Bros Amino App in the Google Play Store". Would Nintendo of America have to had approve this app during development, and would it be possible for Smashboards.com to be able and partner with the app?

There could be a feature that allows for the user to link their Smash Amino profile to their smashboards.com account, and share posts from their Amino page onto their Smash Boards page, and vise versa.

(Again, these are all just ideas. I'm not entirely certain if they would be possible or not.)

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Off Topic/Spam
FIGHTER PASS 2
  • Minmin
  • Steve and Alex
  • Sephiroth
  • Falcom Character or Dante
  • Kat
  • 2B

Top Bottom