• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bag: January 12, 2008

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
What's up with third parties? Is Olimar a strange character choice? And who all is unlockable, anyway?

Third Parties

Why do people think there will only be 3 third party Brawl characters? I Think a more realistic number would be 5-7. Think about it. the "3" statment was made a LONG time ago. The demand for 3rd parties has increesed since then, and evidence suggests there WILL be more! I believe there will be ATLEAST 5.
-platnum
Mic_128: Well when Sakurai was answering emails a while back, SamuraiPanda translated this snippet.

#31-40: Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"

Yes, he did say this ages ago and he could have added more third parties, but I'd be inclined to say no. And as for any evidence to their being more 3rd parties, I haven't seen any at all, if anything, evidence against more, with Megaman's creator not long ago saying that Nintendo hasn't approached him about it., I personally think that it's just going to be Sonic and Snake. The facts are Sakurai said maybe 1 or 2 more after Snake, and that's all we've heard about more third parties.
Chill: Personally I'd say this is the biggest unknown at this time. Sakurai may have said 3 but that was some time ago so it could be a solid number or something that has changed. To address Mic's answer, SEGA reps also said Sonic was not being considered for Brawl shortly before his reveal.

We can't forget that companies like to release information at specific times and will deny a rumor even if it is true. That's not to say that Megaman is definately in Brawl, but you can't take everything you hear at face value.
RandomGuy42: The "1-2 more" statement is basically the only word we've ever gotten on the subject of third parties, and many people seem to have clung to that statement like the Ultimate Truth. It probably isn't realistic to expect many third-parties though, given the process Nintendo has to go through to get one when they have an incredibly diverse selection of their own to choose from. While it'd be awesome to see Bomberman and other third parties as well as Snake and Sonic, it just doesn't seem likely it's going to happen.
Misto-Roboto: I think it is pretty safe to say that Nintendo, and I'm sure Sakurai himself, don't want to stray to far away from what makes Smash Bros what it is. The reason Smash has worked so well for Nintendo in the past is because all the characters they have ever introduced before were their own and thus no arm twisting from other companies was really necessary. Sure Sonic and Snake are a great addition to the Brawl list no doubt, but Snake and Sonic both didn't make their start with Nintendo. They didn't get their big name with Nintendo, they got it through SEGA and Sony respectively. I'm sure the demand might be there, it just isn't realistic to be expecting more than three.

Captain Olimar

Today, Captain Oilmar & his Pikmin were announced for Brawl. Now come on guys, you have to admit that pikmin is one of those.... strange and not very-well known games. I'm not pushing down Pikmin or anything, but this really tears town the theory that a game has to be well-known to put it in brawl. What character choices does this put up? I really don't know. Personally, I'd like to see the Elite Beat Agents in Brawl, but who know. Well, Thanks for reading my submission to the smash bag!
-andymyersrocks
Chill: It's true that Pikmin is no Mario but it's not quite as niche as some character suggestions like Stafy. The series is significant for a number of reasons. First, this game was created by Miyamoto. In my book that's reason enough for it to get a rep for smash.

It was also the only new IP released by Nintendo on the gamecube. This offers a chance to bring new characters to smash that aren't 3rd party or incredibly obscure. Pikmin has been released worldwide and has sold quite well. I like EBA as much as the next guy but the're not even in the same league.
RandomGuy42: Pikmin isn't really as obscure as other people think. It was the new Nintendo franchise for the GameCube, and it also sold quite well. Although really, we knew that a game didn't have to be "popular" and "well-known" before this. Ice Climbers certainly didn't make it in on those criteria. One theory this does seem to poke a hole in is that characters have to be either "current" or "retro" for them to secure a spot, seeing as Olimar hasn't had a sequel for a few years. Hopefully we'll see some other franchises like this see representation *coughgoldensuncough*
Misto-Roboto: Well, actually considering how well it sold worldwide and the fact they were ready to make a sequel so quickly gives me the notion that it has gained quite a following, at least in Nintendo's eyes. This does bode well though for characteristics of characters like Luigi whose only game to date was Luigi's Mansion (Mario's Missing doesn't count, it was still a Mario sprite).

I personally hope they bring characters who have already been hinted at in other Smash games such Lip from Panel de Pon, but I of course am just being bias since I'm a huge fan of the Panel de Pon series.
PilotEvan: When Pikmin was first released, I felt it could be one of Nintendo's bigger franchises. Nintendo already had just about every genre covered by it's major franchises (platforming, action-adventure, first-person shooter, RPG), but we haven't seen a successful real-time strategy game on a Nintendo console since Starcraft 64, and even that wasn't 1st party. Unfortunately, it wasn't as widely known as it should have deserved, considering it's critical acclaim, but anyone who's played the game and savored it would probably agree that it left it's mark in Nintendo's history. Though not as big as The Legend of Zelda series or Super Mario series, but a mark nonetheless.

This mark is, in my opinion, the most important aspect that Sakurai looks for when he considers the inclusion characters. Popularity is one thing, but the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch in Melee sure weren't popular enough to justify their inclusion in the game. But Ice Climber was a starting point for a few of Nintendo's biggest staff members, and the Game and Watch games were Nintendo's first handheld devices. Pikmin is a bit modest in the popularity department, but it was one of the most original games of the Gamecube's lifespan and completely re-worked the real-time strategy genre.

As for Elite Beat Agents, it's important to note that it wasn't developed by Nintendo. Though it probably wouldn't be too difficult for them to put them in Brawl, I wouldn't expect them as characters. Assist Trophies would be much more likely and probably more favorable; I think they could be one of the funniest and most entertaining Assist Trophies in the game. I believe they could have a pretty high possibility of being in the game (considering it's amazing reception) if iNiS doesn't mind lending them.
Secret Characters

Okay, I've heard from loads of people saying characters announced on Dojo (like Olimar) are secret. BUT I've also heard that they are not.
I don't know who to believe !
Has Sakurai ever mentioned this on the site?
-Panduh
Chill: We really don't know who will and won't be secret. The only information we've been given is that third party characters will be hidden and even this is subject to change.

The thing you need to remember is that most people are only expressing their opinion and are really just as clueless as the rest of us.
RandomGuy42: Honestly, we really don't know the status of starters/unlockables at this point in time. The only ones we know for fact are that Snake and Sonic are unlockables, thanks to the recent CoroCoro magazine. There's definitely other characters that seem like obvious starters, like Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu, but we just don't know for certain yet.
Misto-Roboto: Nope and you should take unofficial sources at their face value. There really isn't anyway for anyone to know until the game releases to know what the starter characters will be. Besides, do you really care when within probably forty hours of playing the game you'll most likely unlock them all anyways.
Xsyven: I think, with the exception of Snake and Sonic, that those announced on the Dojo already will be starters. Sakurai claimed way back in the day that third party characters will be unlockable, and a recent scan from the CoroCoro article confirmed it. As for the non-third party characters already unveiled on the Dojo, I think they're you're starting roster. When Melee was released, they unveiled the starting roster before the game came out, and then proceeded with the secret characters after it was released. I think history's about to repeat itself. Because let's be honest here-- do you really think Sakurai will stop at 24?

To explain why Snake and Sonic have been unveiled on the Dojo, only one word comes do mind: Hype.
If you have a question or comment that you'd like to see here, send in your message to the Smash Bag.

Link to original post: [drupal=435]Smash Bag: January 12, 2008[/drupal]

e319

Smash Apprentice
That's a good point you brought up, I hope Mega man is in, but you know what other man would be cool? PAC-MAN!:psycho: (I know it's an insane idea, but it COULD happen you know...)

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Brawl certainly could throw out a few more 3rd parties and keep it under wraps until launch time, but wouldn't that be highly, HIGHLY unlikely? I mean, Snake and Sonic being announced, both 3rd parties that are in (Which we know of) and they were revealed right then and there. Snake wasn't even requested (I could be wrong), was he? Brawl dished that one out to us seemingly out of left field. Then the requests started. Soon, Sonic was revealed after a few months of requests from everyf*ckinglivingsoulonearth. There's no way any other 3rd party could topic Sonic, even Snake, why would it be kept hidden? Shock value?

Simply put, IMO there won't be any more 3rd party characters.

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
ya i agree i want issac in for golden sun rep prob my most wanted char after that i saw ridly i dont really care after that
on the secret charecters i dont see why everyones all worked up the starting roster...unless your deffinatly maining game&watch and have to wait 20 hours to get him i dont see the big deal
for third parties im saying 4 sonic,snake,megaman and black mage or some1 from kingdom of hearts

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Thing is, a character from Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy (Which would actually have much more of a chance than any character in the KH series) will probably NEVER make it into Brawl, much less, a SSB game.

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
I really hope that Sakurai just hasn't revealed the third 3rd party character cause he has enough"hype" going for the game right now and wants people to be extremely surprised when playing the game and actually seeing the "WARNING CHALLENGER APROACHING!" screen and people be like "Wha-? That looks like Megaman! WTF?? I thought he was deconfirmed!?!? Holy- It is!!!" I mean if you think about it that would be "fun" to find out that way and I could see the developers pulling a stunt like that.

Though personally I would really hope he chooses A WTF character for his 3rd party...anyone remember Marina Liteyears from Mischief makers? Though I believe that no one really knows if she is 3rd party or not or if nintendo even has the right to use her.

YoshiAngemon

Smash Cadet
If Inafune said that MegaMan was de-confirmed for Brawl, then maybe he's just telling a lie to cover up the truth, and that we'll end up seeing the Star Force MegaMan (Geo Stelar + Omega-Xis), with the Tribal King Transformation being his Final Smash! KAISER DELTA BREAKER!

link_uzer01

Smash Rookie
Look!!!!!!!!!

i think the answer is right in front of our eyes....
LOOK AT THE COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is your starting roster just like melee

Smasher 102

Smash Cadet
ive heard that there wil be 32 characters in the gamee yet that is just a rumor from youtube.
according to everything just said:
1. should be more than 24 characters
2. chances are more than 3 third party characters
3. all third party characters not confirmed are back on subject
4. final fantasy/kingdom heart barely a chance of third party glory
5.people want more retro characters
6. no one even thinks about rayman:(:(
7. Olimar was a shoe in because of Myamoto
8.Elite Beat team wanted as assist trophys
9. last but not least starting character roster finally confirmed of of the game case
Yet one question?

have they shown the back of the box art if so I want to see

ilix

Smash Rookie
on http://brawlcentral.com/- third pic down from the (World Hobby Fair 2008 Impressions )
on the right is the number 8, on the left of the 8 is a pic of somthing that looks abit like it might be megaman. IS IT MEGA MAN ?:ohwell: Some have said it looks abit like ballon fighter but why would they put someone who is not even important on a big billboard. either way its someone i have not seen on the dojo yet!:confused:

I am Lucario

Smash Rookie
That's a good point you brought up, I hope Mega man is in, but you know what other man would be cool? PAC-MAN!:psycho: (I know it's an insane idea, but it COULD happen you know...)
Pac-Man + Nintendo = ???
(I heard that if that DID happen, Nintendo/Pac-Man Inc./BOTH would explode!)

B

Brandon123

I could beat up Sandbag. he is easy to beat up. (i have all the brawl characters)

Top Bottom