• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Abramovici

Smash Rookie
Ike. His Forward special is a nice horizontal recovery and up special has good priority. He was considered really strong at the start but people realized they can just throw themselves into his F-special to prevent him from coming close. He has no projectiles or long ranged attacks.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It's Ike. If you make big mistakes fighting against Ike, you'll get owned. If you make mistakes playing as Ike, you'll get owned. I should know since I main him along with Mario.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
For some reason, I am thinking Olimar. I really hate playing against him, he has trouble with fast characters, his teather recovery was thought to be a great mind game but isn't considered good anymore, The only part that throws me off is the projectile thing.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
I could see Pit, ike all fits except the recovery, and i could see lucarcio as well

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
id say olimar... hes a great char overal, his grab game and throwable pikmin force the opponent to run/camp/space really well and be desperate to gimp him

ofc, he can turn the game fast since he racks sick damage and his grab game is just way too sick

but, i dont see why theres so much trouble vs speedy ones

ike is very possible too though

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, when is it coming out?

It used to be that it would be updated on late sunday nights.

It keeps getting pushed back and I just can't handle the suspense |:<

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
id say olimar... hes a great char overal, his grab game and throwable pikmin force the opponent to run/camp/space really well and be desperate to gimp him

ofc, he can turn the game fast since he racks sick damage and his grab game is just way too sick

but, i dont see why theres so much trouble vs speedy ones

ike is very possible too though
Has anyone been intimidated by Olimar's recovery ever?

Kilut

Smash Cadet
Its pit, he looked liked he had the best recovery in the game at first, but now... not so much, and arrow spamming gets people angry, but its also fun to do.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I think they're delaying it a few days to get us on the monday/late tues update schedule.

The cockteases.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
and arrow spamming gets people angry
"This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games"

I think he meant this character has difficulty against characters with spammable projectiles. Pit can reflect them with 2 of his specials =S

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Update #10: ?????

After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week. This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games. This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes. Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
Its absolutely DDD. He has trouble with some of the faster characters. Also, characers with stronger projectile games give him a lot of trouble because its hard for him to avoid everything using just his Wdee's, because hes enormous. His recovery has great distance, and SA in the beginning so he almost always gets back. But "to punish sometimes," It doesn't mean gimped, But DDD's opponent can easily punish the lag when he lands if he's in the right position. And because he's so powerful, and can DDDcide the game can turn around instantly, not to mention he can just WoP or hit you with one of his ridiculous attacks. He's probably one of the most fun characters to play with, but nobody ever looks forward to getting chaingrabbed.

It's so obviously DDD

Adapt

Smash Lord
I don't really mind if its delayed, I just wish that they wouldn't say it will be ready tonight and then 3 days later it's not up

Hombre Amigo

Smash Rookie
"After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week. This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games. This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes. Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against."

This week's hint can describe a few characters reasonably well. However, it's a few minor details that lead me to assume that this week's character is Ike, for sure.

Obviously, the whole description describes Ike pretty darn well, but I bolded the parts that I feel really drill the point that it's Ike. It's all in the clever wording of the hint.

1. "Difficulty with some of the faster characters"
Ike has difficulty with "some" of the faster characters. Ike's Jab attack is a godsend for him against faster characters. It allows him to fight back against quick, aggressive, close-range characters like the spacies (if played aggressively.) However, against characters like Marth, his jab isn't as effective. Marth can nair Ike mid jab sometimes. This is why he has difficulty with "some" of the fast characters, and not just fast characters in general.

2. "Quite Intimidating"
Referring to his recovery, the word "intimidating" is perfect. When the game was first released, who had a more intimidating recovery than Ike? Throwing up his sword, then lunging up after it with a thundering warcry, before landing back down like Neo dropping from the skies of the the Matrix. That's intimidating.

3. "Punish sometimes"
Ike's recovery is easy to punish, sometimes. Sometimes it's very easy to knock him out of it. Almost, too easy. Othertimes it's not easy at all. It's entirely situational and character dependent. Some characters can get caught in it and easy nair him out of it to his death. Other characters have no options against it.

2. "Quite Intimidating"
Referring to his side b recovery, it is also quite intimidating. Knocking him off, only to have him begin a charging stance mid-air and soaring back onto the stage and amazing speed and landing in a slide for excellent defensive options. Quite intimidating the first time you see it.

3. "Punish sometimes"
Also, referring to his side b recovery, sometimes you can easily block his side b with your bare man-chest to take one for the team and score the KO. Other times, not enough time. I think that pretty much covers the "sometimes" part of the hint.

4. "Don't react fast enough"
Most of Ike's moves can KO as insanely low percents. Do, in part, to the fact that that are so slow that when you make contact with them they are fresh and not stale at all. Getting killed by Ike in a way that would turn the match around obviously refers to his strong, slow moves. You can not combo someone into them, nor can you cleverly create an unavoidable scenario to successfully land one. The only way to land them is to have your opponent "not react quick enough." Technically, to get hit by such a slow move by Ike is all your fault for not reacting quick enough.

5. "Fun to play with, but rarely fun to play against"
Playing as Ike is, indeed, a lot of fun. What's more fun than playing defensively and successfully landing a devestating attack to destroy your opponent at low percents? Actually, a lot of things are more fun, but it's still quite fun. Biding your time for that one chance is very fun. However, playing against someone who bides their time for that one chance is not very fun at all. It's like beating around a dummy for an hour, only to have him fall on your nuts and crush them when you are not paying attention. That, in my oppinion, is not fun.

I'm putting my money on Ike. However, I'm broke.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Hotgarbage is a troll!
I know because Im awesome and made an analysis many pages back why Dedede fits better.
Oh, and that Mia told us all ;D

TROLL

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
metaknight... his downsmash is very good. it's by far his best killing move and there is nothing wrong with it. it out beats his foward smash easily. i think he's fine on the ground as well as in the air. when ur next to someone dsmash dodge dsmash dodge dsmash dodge is the way to go.

thisismatt

Smash Cadet
I know everybody's saying it's either Ike or Dedede, and it probably is one of the two of them, but I'm still saying it could be a dark horse that nobody expected, and I think it could be Jigglypuff. I can't believe I'm the only one who thinks so...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I know everybody's saying it's either Ike or Dedede, and it probably is one of the two of them, but I'm still saying it could be a dark horse that nobody expected, and I think it could be Jigglypuff. I can't believe I'm the only one who thinks so...
I can't believe nobody thinks its Olimar.

P.S. - His recovery was very intimidating until the game came out and we realized it could be edge-hogged.

MECH

Smash Rookie
Lol. I just found this thread, but as far as quality, it's great. You can see a small list of pros and cons and see a few strategies being formed.

My guess for update 10, Lucas.

Top Bottom