• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash And Grab - Roy Breakdown

xzx

Smash Lord
Roy is a pretty stupid and OP character. He's faster than Marth and stronger than Ike. Like... what the? Why? It doesn't make any sense. Nothing in Smash 4 makes any sense anyway...

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Roy is a pretty stupid and OP character. He's faster than Marth and stronger than Ike. Like... what the? Why? It doesn't make any sense. Nothing in Smash 4 makes any sense anyway...
you don't seem very experienced if you're making assumptions like that.

Roy's strength rivals Ike only when he's up close to his target, and while he runs faster than marth, the fact that he falls faster make him vulnerable to getting juggled.

the tip of Roy's sword is much weaker, whereas Ike's sword does the same the entire blade, so while his attacks are slower, he has greater range than Roy... and this goes without saying, but a skilled marth can easily keep Roy at bay if they can frequently land tippers.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Roy isn't OP, if he is giving you a hard time then you should practice against him a little bit more, maybe even play as him once in a while. I would describe Roy in terms of statistics as a Captain Falcon with a sword.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I hate that opening. It makes it kind of seem like that Melee (in general) is inferior to Smash 4.
More so that Roy is pretty bad in Melee compared to his Smash 4 self.

I think you are reading a little too far into it if you think it was a stab at Melee.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
You don't know what you're talking about, at all.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
I like the format of the video, very well put together.

I don't like the extremely obvious advice though "Jab is fast, after you Jab you can do stuff"

Like... come on. This is just clickbait. There is no real advice in this video unless you just started playing smash.

Lack of advanced options makes smash 4 guides quite boring in general.
meh i partially agree with what you are saying

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
More so that Roy is pretty bad in Melee compared to his Smash 4 self.

I think you are reading a little too far into it if you think it was a stab at Melee.
Agreed. This tutorial isn't a stab at melee it was making fun of the fact that Marth was SO much better than Roy in melee and that now Roy has his revenge because he's better than marth in smash 4.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Agreed. This tutorial isn't a stab at melee it was making fun of the fact that Marth was SO much better than Roy in melee and that now Roy has his revenge because he's better than marth in smash 4.
Marth, and even Lucina, win pretty convincingly against Roy.

He did get better though, that's for sure.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I know, I know. It'd be cool to see it actually give information beyond what you could figure out in training mode on your own. Stuff like what % to stop crouch cancelling and when to crouch cancel with Roy.... or movement options in general... just something a little bit more in depth than "You can jab with A. You can also jump"

And as always, remember that you MUST recover! :)
I will do a Roy guide fairly soon which should be for advance level play. Just finished her majesty episode 2 with sheik needle combos incorporating perfect pivots and have the Little Mac advanced stuff up as well. Will be trying to get through most of the cast to show some fun stuff. Hope u enjoy!!!

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Marth, and even Lucina, win pretty convincingly against Roy.

He did get better though, that's for sure.
I disagree. Roy beats Marth/ Lucina. Iono where this convincingly comes from. His neutral is better and get a far better reward from grab ( something they very much lack. He also has an overall better edgeguard presence and his up b OoS gives him an amazing OoS kill option among his other good tools lol. But thats just those MUs

However Roy has an overall better MU spread lol.sooooo iono where this convincingly argument is coming from.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
However Roy has an overall better MU spread lol.sooooo iono where this convincingly argument is coming from.
We have yet to establish the complete MU spread of characters that have been there since day 1, and you claim Roy has a better MU spread 1 month after he has been released.

You probably understand my skepticism on the matter.

Last edited:

Antrolos

Smash Rookie
NNID
AHD_Antrolos
Don't get me wrong. Obviously I tried him out, like all the other players and he turned out to be hella fun to play and extremely satisfying, but compared to Marth or Lucina, Roy is just a better version. There is no kind of balancing between them, except the jump height... That's why, to me, Roy is just cheap. If you want to show skill, play Marth or Lucina. If you just want to play Roy, because he's better, you're a tryhard. Nothing wrong with that but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Antrolos

Smash Rookie
NNID
AHD_Antrolos
I would describe Roy in terms of statistics as a Captain Falcon with a sword.
So... like this one incredibly fast character with endless combo tools and stupidly strong kill moves? Yep. It's also concidered broken, but hey ;)

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
So... like this one incredibly fast character with endless combo tools and stupidly strong kill moves? Yep. It's also concidered broken, but hey ;)
Ever thought of the possibility that the problem wasn't the character, but you?

No, that would be ludicrous.

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Don't get me wrong. Obviously I tried him out, like all the other players and he turned out to be hella fun to play and extremely satisfying, but compared to Marth or Lucina, Roy is just a better version. There is no kind of balancing between them, except the jump height... That's why, to me, Roy is just cheap. If you want to show skill, play Marth or Lucina. If you just want to play Roy, because he's better, you're a tryhard. Nothing wrong with that but it just doesn't feel right to me.
What about the people who loved his game? I play Shulk because I loved Xenoblade, and I look forward to playing Roy (lol cant afford him) because I really loved The Binding Blade as well, Roy being my end-game carry with the Sword of Seals, two shotting the tru final boss and all :p

tl;dr not all roy players are tryhards

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Captain Falcon isn't broken either, you simply lack the experience in his matchup. If you think he is that OP you still have ways to go.
As a community we can't go complacent and start calling everything broken on the first sign of trouble. Learn your character and learn your opponent's character as well.

Last edited:

Antrolos

Smash Rookie
NNID
AHD_Antrolos
I play Shulk because I loved Xenoblade, and I look forward to playing Roy (lol cant afford him) because I really loved The Binding Blade as well.
If you play Roy because you like him I can understand that. I wanted to main Shulk at the beginning of Sm4sh, too because I really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles but soon I noticed that he was just too good and stopped playing him. Maybe it's just me wanting to keep it fair with the characters wich also was the reason why I tried maining Palutena for a while...
BTW I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, too :)

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
If you play Roy because you like him I can understand that. I wanted to main Shulk at the beginning of Sm4sh, too because I really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles but soon I noticed that he was just too good and stopped playing him. Maybe it's just me wanting to keep it fair with the characters wich also was the reason why I tried maining Palutena for a while...
Shulk is nowhere near "too good". Maybe you should stop bothering about how broken (even though you're terribly wrong) characters are and just play what you enjoy playing.

Last edited:

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Shulk is absolutely not too good lol, but that's your way of playing the game.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
What's the music that plays when Roy and Marth first start talking?

Antrolos

Smash Rookie
NNID
AHD_Antrolos
...but that's your way of playing the game.
It is indeed. I want to be fair. Right now my main is Lucas though because I already mained him in Brawl. Hate me whoever thinks Lucas is OP.

Last edited:

Antrolos

Smash Rookie
NNID
AHD_Antrolos
Shulk is nowhere near "too good".
The problem I have whith Shulk is that he is so easy to pick up (except Monado art cancelling. That's pretty though actually) and has such incredible range, aerial game, damaging, speed, kill options etc. Compare him to Ike for example. Shulk is faster, has better range, recovery, and so on. Like Roy, for me Shulk is really fun to play but it just doesn't feel right, because he's so easy AND strong...

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
The problem I have whith Shulk is that he is so easy to pick up (except Monado art cancelling. That's pretty though actually) and has such incredible range, aerial game, damaging, speed, kill options etc. Compare him to Ike for example. Shulk is faster, has better range, recovery, and so on. Like Roy, for me Shulk is really fun to play but it just doesn't feel right, because he's so easy AND strong...
Funnily enough, Ike has much faster moves overall, and hits much harder without having to stance dance. More than half of his moves kill much more reliably than Shulk. Ike has a great recovery. Challenging Aether is stupidly dangerous, and Quick Draw is nothing to scoff at either. Shulk's recovery *can* be better at comvering more distance, but definitely not safer. Ike also doesn't have to put itself in an obvious stance (Smash stance : watch out, I'm going for the kill) and therefore is much harder to read.

Roy is a scrub killer. He deals great damage if you can't space properly against him.

The problem is that you yell OP and you probably haven't scraped the surface of the character, or have minimal game knowledge overall.

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
But he has one thing that absolutely kills him as a good character.

Terrible frame data. His kill options are actually limited with the high startup on kill moves and having no kill setups, his recovery is easily gimpable since it doesn't snap to ledge., etc.

Shulk is far from a good character.

Top Bottom