• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash And Grab - Roy Breakdown

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Roy's return to the Smash Bros series as a DLC character hasn't gone unnoticed. The character has shown great potential in the competitive community and the Smash And Grab team highlights what sets him apart from the rest of the Fire Emblem cast in a detailed tutorial video.

Much like their previous Robin tutorial the video is laced with witty character dialogue in classic Fire Emblem style. The video dives deep into the character and helps to showcase what sets Roy apart from his counterparts Marth & Lucina. If you're looking to advance your game with Roy then this video will give you all you need to know with a running time of over ten minutes.

I was glad to see Roy return in this game and am glad he has a fighting chance! If you would like to speak with me about Roy or anything else please feel free to follow @XiiviZV on Twitter. -Xiivi

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Still putting Marth as an asshole huh?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I like the format of the video, very well put together.

I don't like the extremely obvious advice though "Jab is fast, after you Jab you can do stuff"

Like... come on. This is just clickbait. There is no real advice in this video unless you just started playing smash.

Lack of advanced options makes smash 4 guides quite boring in general.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
I like the format of the video, very well put together.

I don't like the extremely obvious advice though "Jab is fast, after you Jab you can do stuff"

Like... come on. This is just clickbait. There is no real advice in this video unless you just started playing smash.

Lack of advanced options makes smash 4 guides quite boring in general.
Maybe someone is newer and wants to pick up Roy, he made it this way for a reason, just because we're more advanced doesn't mean someone else is bro.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Maybe someone is newer and wants to pick up Roy, he made it this way for a reason, just because we're more advanced doesn't mean someone else is bro.
I know, I know. It'd be cool to see it actually give information beyond what you could figure out in training mode on your own. Stuff like what % to stop crouch cancelling and when to crouch cancel with Roy.... or movement options in general... just something a little bit more in depth than "You can jab with A. You can also jump"

And as always, remember that you MUST recover! :)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
'I never had the finese to use down air like you can...so I borrowed Ike's'

Still only a semi-clone though :p

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
As in, tricky for your opponent to deal with, not tricky to execute. Or crafty, or what have you.
It's really not though. I guess if your opponent sucks. But the point of getting good at smash is to beat good players, not bad ones.

I guess this video is good for someone who, as I said, just started playing smash and wants to beat up on his friends. It's not good if you're looking to actually learn Roy on a competitive level.

M2k had a good segment on his twitch stream about how to use Roy in ssb4 and he covered a lot more than this video. Check that out if you wanna main Roy.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Wow... That's some of the worst sprite animation I've ever seen. Srsly it doesn't even qualify as animation.

THIS on the other hand....

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I thought Roy's Counter does more damage and less active frames. I've tested the damage part in Training. The active frames... online. Anyways, this is a decent guide for anyone looking to pick up Roy as a character.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
It's really not though. I guess if your opponent sucks. But the point of getting good at smash is to beat good players, not bad ones.

I guess this video is good for someone who, as I said, just started playing smash and wants to beat up on his friends. It's not good if you're looking to actually learn Roy on a competitive level.

M2k had a good segment on his twitch stream about how to use Roy in ssb4 and he covered a lot more than this video. Check that out if you wanna main Roy.
Got any links to the specific stream?

Flubz

Smash Rookie
I know, I know. It'd be cool to see it actually give information beyond what you could figure out in training mode on your own. Stuff like what % to stop crouch cancelling and when to crouch cancel with Roy.... or movement options in general... just something a little bit more in depth than "You can jab with A. You can also jump"

And as always, remember that you MUST recover! :)
I might be misunderstanding something here, but you can't crouch cancel in Smash 4.

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
And im sitting here waiting for a ryu Guide!!!!

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
"True combos" that last for two hits.

Welcome to Smash 4.
Calm down. 2 hits is a bit too hype.

Lets just focus on that jab. I mean, it jabs you. You win automatically with port priority if you jab.

What I love about smash 4 is how at the top level every stock goes to like 20000% due to all these tr00 combos. Dat war of attrition tho

Thank you so much @ Xiivi Xiivi for bringing my favorite Smash character and one of my favorite FE characters to the front page! Hopefully this gets at least a few more people to buy Roy's DLC.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Wow I never you you could jump out of fair before it lands. I always thought it was just a decent edge guarding option. Nice work.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Charging neutral b in the air.

"tricky aerial movement"

lmao.
Not quite. What they were describing was something called B-reversing, which lets switch momentum in the air, which in turn serves as a movement option to mix up your landings. "Charging neutral b in the air" is a huge misunderstatement.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I hate that opening. It makes it kind of seem like that Melee (in general) is inferior to Smash 4.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well, there were certainly some stuff about Roy I honestly didn't know. I mean I knew jabs were good combo tools, but I didn't think you could take it this far. I'd say, good work! Very interesting guide (kind of funny dialogue as well :p).

I hate that opening. It makes it kind of seem like that Melee (in general) is inferior to Smash 4.
Because it is...
Can we please not start another game vs. game topic? Thank you.

:4roy:"Remember when I was your boy?"
Nope.
:4roy:: Neither do I.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
certainly a well done basics video on Roy, though I did find the conversations a bit hokey when they brought up smash terminology.

using Bairs tip for a reset was an interesting idea, but I dunno how reliable that looks in practice.

Top Bottom