• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Documentary?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Obviously you've never heard of MAME and what people are doing with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8t54KCr5iU

Check out this MAME cabinet.

Back on topic: a good Smash 64 documentary would cover every facet of the game including on-line.
Obviously you just ignored the fact that the competition is still using the original hardware for ssf2t at freaking EVO.

I know about all kinds of emulators you jackass, don't act all condescending about it. It doesn't change the fact that original hardware is the best way to play the games and there's no reason for hardware to die out unless it has a compete lack of maintenance.

Annex

Smash Ace
VC drops frames which makes it unfit for competitive play, and by the time 64 hardware becomes scarce enough where it's impractical for a tournament setting people will just emulate because VC drops frames

I wouldn't wanna play competitive matches on that VC ****

That **** drops frames

But seriously though

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
VC drops frames which makes it unfit for competitive play, and by the time 64 hardware becomes scarce enough where it's impractical for a tournament setting people will just emulate because VC drops frames
You're not seeing the big picture. If people don't have easily accessible ways to play Smash 64 then the competitive scene will die from lack of interest long before Nintendo 64's become hard to find. Remember that Smash 64 is competing with a lot of other games for people's valuable time. Thankfully, as it stands now anybody can download a SSB64 ROM and start getting themselves up to speed with respect to becoming competitive in the future.

If a Smash 64 documentary didn't cover all the various aspects of the game including the fact that dedicated fans are still competing on-line then it probably wouldn't be a documentary worth watching.

As for the Virtual Console version of Smash 64, if it sparks someone's desire to one day become competitive then isn't that a good thing? Consider SSB64VC the equivalent of touch football after school while the console version is the NFL. See how they can peacefully coexist and even support one another?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
There's probably still room for a comprehensive Super Smash Bros. documentary since the most notable one so far centered primarily on Melee. Look to this documentary on Street Fighter for inspiration on a future Smash doc.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
he's alive
I revive myself every now and then when something interesting comes up. I might start playing again soon too, depending on internet / controllers.

Obviously you just ignored the fact that the competition is still using the original hardware for ssf2t at freaking EVO.

I know about all kinds of emulators you *******, don't act all condescending about it. It doesn't change the fact that original hardware is the best way to play the games and there's no reason for hardware to die out unless it has a compete lack of maintenance.
Some things never change.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
When I was an adolescent growing up I always heard that marijuana is a "gateway drug" which would eventually lead to harder stuff like cocaine and heroine. Well, I kinda look at Smash 64 as a gateway that can potentially lead to other Super Smash Bros. games. For this reason Super Smash Bros. 64 deserves its own documentary tracing the game's humble beginnings, through the tournament & on-line present, to ultimately where it might go in the future. As long as Nintendo is still selling this game, which they are via the Virtual Console, there's bound to be a future. Right?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
If Nintendo made their virtual console version not suck and made an easy way to use 64 controllers I'd have no issue buying their newest console just for that. But this is Nintendo we're talking about, so not happening.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
If Nintendo made their virtual console version not suck and made an easy way to use 64 controllers I'd have no issue buying their newest console just for that. But this is Nintendo we're talking about, so not happening.
Your off-putting demeanor is probably just going to end up driving people to other Smash games. Is that what you're after?

Back on topic: I love watching well made documentaries! One of my favorites is this one about my boyhood idol Bruce Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_xs40Rv-k

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Your off-putting demeanor is probably just going to end up driving people to other Smash games. Is that what you're after?
How is what I said being off putting? It's called being realistic. Nintendo does not care about showing support towards anything n64 related. They haven't bothered to release new versions of what could be considered their most easily degradable controller and when they released ssb on vc they couldn't even be assed to make sure it ran properly. Nintendo hasn't even shown support for melee besides ALLOWING melee tournaments to exist (ROFL).

Pure delusion is what you call to expect anything different from Nintendo.

Annex

Smash Ace
Idt I've ever seen emoblaster ever not be right, I've just also not ever seen him argue and not get mad

The Star King

Smash Hero
I've seen blasty not be right and I've seen him argue and not get mad. Have I seen it all? :3

Last edited:
Top Bottom