• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Box Art Comparison

Smash 64 Box Art preference N.A./EU or Japan?

• N.A./EU!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Japan!

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
smash64boxart.jpg

The U.S. and Japanese versions of the Smash 64 box art are both pretty awesome. Looking at the two through several discussions, it's hard to decide which one is the best - Especially since Smash 64 has some awesome illustrations.

Here's the box art for the game released in Japan:

Box-Art-JP-Nintendo-64-Super-Smash-Bros.jpg

With enough added panels, someone could add captions or even make a story out of this box art. I've been searching, but unfortunately I've had no luck. Meanwhile,

Super_Smash_Bros._(NA)_boxart.jpg

The U.S./PAL Box Art is also pretty neat. What's interesting about it is the omission of Yoshi and Donkey Kong but the inclusion of the bob-omb here is interesting. It's also cool how the characters are interacting. Kirby clearly isn't focused on the fight, and Link is seeing something that we can't see?

Author's Note: Which do you prefer? The U.S./PAL Box Art or the Japan box art for Super Smash Bros. 64? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

if I recall, that slightly off-panel pic of Link in the international boxart is actually him staring, confused, at the fan replacing his sword.

Japanese boxart definitely looks like it could have easily come out of a comic book, although I find it amusing how it looks like DK got censored for some reason.

Last edited:
if I recall, that slightly off-panel pic of Link in the international boxart is actually him staring, confused, at the fan replacing his sword.

Japanese boxart definitely looks like it could have easily come out of a comic book, although I find it amusing how it looks like DK got censored for some reason.
DK didn't get censored. It only looks like that, but you can closely see that he is smiling.

Funny how Kirby is the only character in the Japanese boxart to not be inside a panel and is instead in the foreground. Guess Sakurai bias was already a thing back then right? :kirby:

DK didn't get censored. It only looks like that, but you can closely see that he is smiling.
I said it "looks like he was censored" to begin with, I already know he wasn't actually... i just found the happenstance amusing, that's all...

Last edited:
Top Bottom