• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 5: Will it even happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
This is something that's been worrying me especially with people that keep claiming "Inklings/Some other character will only be in Smash 5". ...The thing is: I don't think Smash 5 will even happen: Sakurai already claimed this is more than likely going to be his last game due to his arm condition. And Nintendo hasn't really made a Smash Bros game just by themselves which makes me even more worried. And so far Sm4sh is the big one in the franchise that has had the most love and support put into it: And they are still doing it with DLC and all... It only makes me more worried... What if the next one doesn't have any of the 3rd party characters like the "big 4"? What if it doesn't get made at all?

It really doesn't help that we had large gaps for Brawl and Sm4sh after Melee which came out in 2002: The original being 1999. I'm sorry but the thought of this only scares me: Even I think the most they will do after this game is just port it to Virtual Console for future consoles.

Please tell me your thoughts... I really cannot stress this enough and I really don't know how to think... And I'm rather worried for the Inklings chances, thanks to all of those "decomfirming" them... *sigh*

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I feel like if there's going to be a Smash 5, Nintendo better have quite a few new IP's in the next few years, because I feel most of the major Nintendo characters have been used in Smash already and there isn't that many characters left to use, unless they mostly use obscure characters from games that are not that well known. More new IPs and franchises would mean more new characters to use.

Other than the Inklings from Splatoon, maybe Captain Toad, maybe a new Pokémon from a new game in a few years, maybe a new Fire Emblem representative from the next game, maybe Dixie Kong, maybe a character from Xenoblade Chronicles X, maybe obscure characters like Mike Jones, Takamaru, Mach Rider, who else is there really left to use?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
'Course it will. It's one of Nintendo's most popular (and lucrative) series; even if Sakurai steps down, they're not just gonna let Smash die when there's still so much public interest.

Last edited:

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Yep, it's probably going to happen in logically 2020-2021 as they did every 6-7 years for some Smash Bros, Brawl and Melee had 7 years of difference and Brawl and Sm4sh had 6 years of difference. :p

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Yep, it's probably going to happen in logically 2020-2021 as they did every 6-7 years for some Smash Bros, Brawl and Melee had 7 years of difference and Brawl and Sm4sh had 6 years of difference. :p
...Welp, No way I am going to be able to wait that long ((And Splatoon would in fact be forgotten by that time if that happens which makes me worry about their chances even more.))

We're ****ed.

I'm still somewhat doubtful considering I've seen even the mighty fall in terms of gaming franchises.

Last edited:

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
...Welp, No way I am going to be able to wait that long ((And Splatoon would in fact be forgotten by that time if that happens which makes me worry about their chances even more.))

We're ****ed.

I'm still somewhat doubtful considering I've seen even the mighty fall in terms of gaming franchises.
Don't worry 'bout Splatoon. Seems like an IP they'd bring to their next console for next gen, whenever that may arrive. The Inklings will likely make their way in.

finalark

SNORLAX
And so far Sm4sh is the big one in the franchise that has had the most love and support put into it:
I think Brawl beats out Smash 4 in the love an support category. They couldn't stop putting things into Brawl. This one feels a hell of a lot more matter-of-fact than Brawl does. Brawl was a hugely hyped event while Smash 4 was hyped, but mostly through small videos here and there. Not daily updates and constant press.

Most of us here did the six-seven year wait twice. Trust me, it's not that bad.

Anyway, obviously Nintendo will be making a Smash 5. Probably for the NX. Smash makes money and even if Nintendo doesn't strongarm Sakurai into making another it doesn't mean that they can't just put together a new team or get help form third parties again. And given how much these games sell it's not a matter of if, but when.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I can't imagine any reason why a fifth game wouldn't come around. The series is success and the fans are definitely going to be asking for more as time goes on, it would be silly if Nintendo didn't deliver. I'm looking forward to that when it comes around, but I'll happily enjoy this one for years to come.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd imagine it would get made regardless of Mr. Sakurai's desire, since it's a cash cow. The only thing that actually scares me is when it will be released, which with the NX in development I can see it happening as early as 2018, which is a bit too early for me. I hope we'd have to wait a bit, because, I can't see the roster coming back without many cuts if the next ones that soon. Hopefully it would come out later than what I'm thinking, because I'd like to see all the characters in this make it back in some way. Only things worse in my eyes than having a ton of characters cut in my book would be Jigglypuff being nerfed back to her brawl days, or shield regeneration time becoming even shorter than it is now, so I think it's pretty obvious how much I'd like to see everyone come back. I think we will get our Smash 5 though, I'm just a bit worried about what it will be like.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Plenty of times a stuido/game loses a key member and goes on.

Whether it is successful or not could be a different story.

There will be a smash 5... but probably won't be for 5-7 years which is good.. this series stands out to me in large part because it hasn't gone down the Call of Duty push them out like they are disposable.

I cant remember if it was brawl or melee but one of them was started without sakurai.

It wasnt until later that he was asked to head the project and he did.

Nintendo has already shown its willingness to have smash with or without sakurai. This will be no different.

Soul.

It's obvious there will be a Smash Bros. 5, just not now. Maybe when the new console and handheld are out they could be talking about a new Smash game, or even make two versions like they did with Wii U and 3DS; the latter was well-received and is selling well, proving that Smash can work on a handheld just fine. Nevertheless, console Smash will still be a thing.

I do think it's too early to think about a new Smash Bros. game though.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I do think it's too early to think about a new Smash Bros. game though.
Pretty much this. Smash 4 isn't even a year old yet. The game is getting consistent patches and DLC, fans are still discovering new things about the game constantly and the competitive scene is young and enthusiastic. Now is not the time to be thinking of the future.

D

Deleted member

We'll see another Smash game, with or without Sakurai. Smash is one of Nintendo's best sellers and I doubt Nintendo would pull the plug because the director of every game didn't lead the project once again.

But yeah, it's a bit too early now. We'll see what happens down the road.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly doubt were getting Smash 5 until the 10th generation of gaming (which is the generation after the NX) seeing as Smash 4 will have a long life cycle with DLC and that Sakurai is tired from doing all this. At best, we could see an NX port of Smash 4 that includes the IC's and a SSE mode to fill the long gap between Smash 4 and Smash 5.

Sakurai deserves a long break after working on Smash 4 for a long time. Nintendo forcing him to work on a new Smash Bros game only 2-3 years after finishing Smash 4 is unjustified really.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sakurai deserves a long break after working on Smash 4 for a long time. Nintendo forcing him to work on a new Smash Bros game only 2-3 years after finishing Smash 4 is unjustified really.
Doesn't mean that they won't make him do it, or that they won't push ahead and make a new one without him.

We're probably going to get a Smash game for the NX, but it probably won't come out until we're around the middle of the console's life cycle. Assuming the NX hits shelves in 2017 I'm guessing we won't see Smash 5 until 2020. And at that point in time Smash 4 will be six years old.

Unless Nintendo thinks that the NX needs a new Smash game to push NX's ASAP. In which case we'll likely get it around 2018, in which case Smash 4 will be four years old.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Other than the Inklings from Splatoon, maybe Captain Toad, maybe a new Pokémon from a new game in a few years, maybe a new Fire Emblem representative from the next game, maybe Dixie Kong, maybe a character from Xenoblade Chronicles X, maybe obscure characters like Mike Jones, Takamaru, Mach Rider, who else is there really left to use?
Why do people always say this? There are tons of beloved, classic Nintendo characters that haven't debuted in Smash Bros. yet, from obvious fan favorites like King K. Rool and Ridley to big franchise players like Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong, Ganon, Tetra, the other three members of Star Fox, a high-profile Grass-type Pokémon like Sceptile, someone from Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing, the Inklings, Chibi-Robo, and even major third-party characters that have a history with Nintendo (Simon Belmont, Banjo and Kazooie, someone from Dragon Quest, and so on). I hope to see more new Nintendo IPs in the near future too, but the Smash Bros. well is far from dry.

As for the actual topic, Smash Bros. is too much of an institution / money-printing machine and there is no way Nintendo is going to let it die. I'm actually looking forward to the day Sakurai calls it quits and puts someone else on the job, because his character choices are... esoteric, to say the least. (Mr. Game & Watch? R.O.B.? Wii Fit Trainer? Greninja? They've all turned out well, but not a single Ninendo fan would have selected them before Toad, King K. Rool, or Ridley.)

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I feel like if there's going to be a Smash 5, Nintendo better have quite a few new IP's in the next few years, because I feel most of the major Nintendo characters have been used in Smash already and there isn't that many characters left to use, unless they mostly use obscure characters from games that are not that well known. More new IPs and franchises would mean more new characters to use.

i can see more than this:
Mario: Daisy, Geno, Toad, Paper mario
Zelda: Tetra, Impa, Ganon, Skull kid:younglinkmelee:
DK: King k. rool, Donkey kong jr., Dixie kong
F-zero: Black shadow
Mother: Ninten
Fire emblem: Lyn, Chrom
Metroid: Ridley, Dark samus
Pokemon: Mewoth :pt::squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee:Grovyle (PMD), Zororark, Deoxys, Sceptile
Star fox::wolf:Krystal
Kirby: Gooey, Bandana dee, Doroach
Retro::popo:Sukapon,Takamaru, Prince sable, Exitebike, Mach rider, Netser, Mike jones, Lip
3rd Party: Slime, Black mage, Alex kidd, Dig dug, Bomberman, Simon belmont:snake:Rayman, Banjo-kazooie, Earth worm jim, Crash bandicoot
Other: Ray MK, Isaac, Captain rainbow, Marshal, Chibi-robo, Andy, Inkling

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Again? People worried whether we would get SSB3... we got Brawl... people worried whether we would get SSB4... we got Wii U and 3DS... now people are worrying about whether we would get SSB5? I guarantee we will get a new Smash game for the next Nintendo console.

New Nintendo IPs I can see getting characters in SSB5...

The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Takamaru)
Mole Mania (Muddy)
Chibi-Robo! (Chibi Robo)
Rhythm Heaven (Chorus Kids)
StreetPass Mii Plaza (Wandering Heroes)
Pushmo (Mallo)
Splatoon (Inkling)
Captain N: The Game Master (Captain N... the new surprise character after :4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt:)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If Smash 5 is a guarantee, then it's gonna be hard trying to make it as phenomenal as Sm4sh is now. The wait was damn well worth it.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Again? People worried whether we would get SSB3... we got Brawl... people worried whether we would get SSB4... we got Wii U and 3DS... now people are worrying about whether we would get SSB5? I guarantee we will get a new Smash game for the next Nintendo console.

New Nintendo IPs I can see getting characters in SSB5...

The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Takamaru)
Mole Mania (Muddy)
Chibi-Robo! (Chibi Robo)
Rhythm Heaven (Chorus Kids)
StreetPass Mii Plaza (Wandering Heroes)
Pushmo (Mallo)
Splatoon (Inkling)
Captain N: The Game Master (Captain N... the new surprise character after :4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt:)
Captain n doesn't have a game I see Nintendo picking Nester from Nintendo power before him

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Captain n doesn't have a game I see Nintendo picking Nester from Nintendo power before him
Doesn't matter... Captain N is still owned by Nintendo... and he's pretty well known in the gaming community and has a place in Nintendo history.

I can just picture the news media and social media getting hyped over the main character from that old Nintendo cartoon from the 1980s unexpectedly getting in Smash. I saw that hype when the dog from that old NES game unexpectedly getting in Smash.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Doesn't matter... Captain N is still owned by Nintendo... and he's pretty well known in the gaming community and has a place in Nintendo history.

I can just picture the news media and social media getting hyped over the main character from that old Nintendo cartoon from the 1980s unexpectedly getting in Smash. I saw that hype when the dog from that old NES game unexpectedly getting in Smash.
If ash ketchum didn't get at least a trophy in smash why do you think captain n would? He should appear in a game first or at least a cameo

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If ash ketchum didn't get at least a trophy in smash why do you think captain n would? He should appear in a game first or at least a cameo
Well, Sakurai can always BS a story where that kid in the Melee intro is retconned to be Captain N and that the person with the NES Zapper in Duck Hunt's trailer is retconned to be Captain N. :troll:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Well, Sakurai can always BS a story where that kid in the Melee intro is retconned to be Captain N and that the person with the NES Zapper in Duck Hunt's trailer is retconned to be Captain N. :troll:
My pet theory is that the "mysterious sharpshooter" that helps out Duck Hunt is actually Snake. So he's not really gone.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
If Kirby can still be good without Sakurai's involvement, so will Smash. Just because a creator of a series isn't involved anymore, that doesn't mean that series will stop (unless it's something like Earthbound). Smash will still continue on. We just won't be seeing another installment until the NX. Besides, Smash 4's still a fresh new game.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I feel they will port it and make a somewhat different smash 4 with 5 or more new characters. I feel it's going to be like Street Fighter 4 in that it's going to last long but a few updates will come here and there then a sequel will come after a long wait. It feels like in this generation it's necessary because making a fighting game from scratch with an even bigger character count, stages and mechanics is going to be way to much work and a huge amount of money so we have to wait until tech advances a lot. I might be one of the few with this opinion but almost every other fighting game franchise does this and it would be smart to make this smash have a longer life than the others through updates.

iAmJokerz

Smash Rookie
Nintendo similar to any other business, likes money so smash 5 will happen for sure. Probably in quarter 4 2020.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Technically, yes, Smash Wii U is the fifth game, but I don't think it's a stretch to consider 3DS and Wii U to both count as the fourth installment since they're the same essential game with slightly different features. It's akin to how the Pokemon games are all considered within generations and grouped together because they're the same game with minor alterations.

And besides that, I think it's pretty obvious what was intended by the thread whether or not you want to see Wii U as the fifth game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom