• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 5/Switch might be more like melee...

RiverNet

Smash Rookie
Take a look at the Super Smash Bros. title after the inklings cinematic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFna-Z1MjU). They way Super Smash. Bros appears on the screen looks pretty much the same as melee (im not sure if in any trailer for smash 4 or brawl we saw something like this, but on smash 4's title screen thats not the way it goes). What do you think?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do not want the next Smash to use Melee mechanics. The mechanics in Smash 3DS / Wii U are good enough, especially the way the Autolink Angle works now, though some will probably argue that the rage mechanic needs to be nerfed.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Highly unlikely. The mechanics for Sma5h might be different than Sm4sh, but we'll have to wait and see. Melee felt nothing like Smash 64, and Brawl felt nothing like Melee. However, Sm4sh does feel somewhat similar like Brawl, but with far more improvements. It wouldn't surprise me if Sma5h felt like Sm4sh.

Now, will we get Classic Mode as we all remember it being before Sm4sh changed it? No idea. Hopefully. Will Adventure Mode return? That would be awesome, but I imagine it would be difficult to accommodate each series being represented in the game by throwing in worlds that belong to them. Someone on this site did make an interesting way of settling that, but I don't think Nintendo will go out of their way to create levels based on difficulty settings if this game is coming out in 2018. If they brought back Break the Targets and Board the Platforms, that would be cool. But again, making those like how it was in Melee would be too much. I'm not hyped for this game, but I think when we start to see more, I will be.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Considering most of the advanced tech in melee was accidental and Sakurai didn't add it back into the next two games, I seriously doubt it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know. I get that what we have to go on now is more than we've had to go on in like, years, but a logo is just a logo guys. I don't think there's any other implication that the logo means anything else besides that there's a, sort of, logo for the next Smash. Port, or new. Smash 4-2, or Melee-2. There's no implications in the logo.

The game is coming out this ****in year and E3 is a little over 3 months away. You'll have all your answers then.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don’t see why the idea that this game will be like Melee should even be entertained, honestly. It’s incredibly evident that Sakurai wants nothing to do with any sort of competitive gameplay. We’ll be lucky to even get a real ranked mode.

RiverNet

Smash Rookie
I understand what all you people have said and i gotta agree, i doubt too they will go back to melee, I just hope it doesnt look too much like Sm4sh.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Melee's mechanics with Ledge Trumping would be dope.

But this time remove random tripping, or make certain attacks always guarantee a trip.
It was annoying how, in Smash4, certain characters attacks had a chance to make the opponent trip.
Either make it trip 100% of the time or none of the time.

Last edited:

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
I think there will be changes to the game that will trap us in endless discussions about how Smash 5 is "more like Melee".
These changes will actually be simple stuff like more speed or hitstun, while much bigger changes away from how Melee worked, like Smash 4 ledge changes, will be glossed over.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
As long as Sakurai is at the helm, there won't be another game like Melee. I thought we learned this from Brawl? A faster game like Melee is possible but things like wavedashing and such will not come back.

Morbi

Scavenger
I highly doubt it, but at the same time, if it is like Smash 4, that would be a bit redundant. In general, Sakurai is more or less against tech gaps and that is realistically one of the only substantial differences.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's too early to be making such extreme guesses without anything more than a CGI trailer and a logo.
:061:
I do not understand. Premature speculation is exactly for what the Smash community is known.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I had a dream once that Brawl got an HD Port to Switch with some Wii U characters.
Could this be a premonition? Hopefully not. Brawl's mechanics were bad. I'd prefer a Smash Switch where every character is buffed to be broken like Bayonetta, ie made with combos in mind. Beyond that, Smash 4's mechanics are perfect. Maybe bring back gliding and give Mario a glide with his Super Mario World cape, making Cappy his new side-B. Functionally the same, though.

Top Bottom