• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Worldwide: 1600+ Sign Ups, $1000 Prize Pool, And A Record Breaking Tournament

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
On Sunday January 18th, Hypest and E2C are hosting Smash 4 Worldwide. Previously covered on Smashboards, Smash 4 Worldwide has come a long way since the original article now having amassed over 1600 sign ups for the event, easily making it the largest online Smash tournament of all time and breaking the record for largest Smash 4 tournament as well.

The worldwide in the title is not an exaggeration either. While a majority of players are entering from North America due to time zones, this tournament shows off international talent on a phenomenal scale. With entries from places like Saudi Arabia, Russia, Egypt, Israel, Singapore, and Guam you can expect to see talent from places you may never have seen Smash from before. You can see this previously released chart to see how many players have entered and from where, but entry levels have increased since it was released so it will not cover them all.

Note: This does not cover all 1600+ Entrants

It's not just the places people are entering from that have large amounts of variety either. Players upon entering the tournament are polled as to which character they main and the results show that you can expect to see some amazing variety in terms of characters at the event.

One of the big draws for the event is the prize pool. RTGN.TV is offering up $1000 dollars in prize money and the event is free to enter making it a highly attractive event for anyone who wants to compete. With this much money and the ability to compete from the comfort of their home many players are jumping on the opportunity to sign up.

Smash 4 Worldwide Payouts
1st Place: $500
2nd Place: $300
3rd Place: $200

It will not be an easy road to take home the grand prize however. Players will have to fight their way through large and cruel double elimination pools where only the top 2 players move on to the final bracket. Every pool is incredibly stacked and with all signups before checkins begin able to compete you can expect the competition to continue to grow in its ferocity. The brackets are available for preview here. For those who may not follow the scene outside of USA here are some names to watch for:
  • Mr. R :4sheik:: Famed Brawl Marth main from the Netherlands
  • Alphicans :4littlemac:: Top Canadian Smasher and a serious threat in any bracket
  • Villyness :4villager:: One of the best players in Australia. She is known for her potent Villager.
  • Raziek :4robinm:: Nova Scoatia TO and Player, known for his Brawl Marth and Smash 4 Robin
  • Miidas :4rob:: A R.O.B. Main out of Norway, a major threat online and ranked highly on Anther's Ladder
  • eltoNNNNNN :4villager:: 4444 (If you don't get it, you have already lost.)
  • Nikes :4yoshi:: A Yoshi player from South Australia, he has placed 2nd at SXC in Adelaide, and 3rd at Miles Warehouse, hosted in Victoria.
  • Bijou :4bowserjr:: A long-time Pit main from Brawl. Even with scarce tournament attendance top players know him to be quite good. He dabbles with Bowser Jr. and Sonic.
  • Greward :4megaman:, Tsunayoshi :4yoshi:, Cyve :4diddy:, and Sodrek:4shulk:: European threats all of whom competed in Perfect Stalker's Invitational.
  • Luisfer :4diddy: and Galespark :4falcon:: Names to watch out for from Central America
  • RoboLuigi :4rob:, El Bardo :4dedede:, LionMan :4falcon:, and Marcbri :4pit:: All major threats from Spain

It's not just the international community that has come out to represent with some of their best players. The United States has provided some notable competitors as well. There are also many "wifi warriors" that should not be slept on, some have taken games off of top pros while others have consistently placed high in all other online events:
  • ZeRo :4diddy:: The one and only ZeRo, famed Smash player who has taken MANY Smash 4 events by a landslide
  • Nairo :4robinm:: Famed Brawl player who placed 1st at Apex 2014 and has been a strong Smash 4 threat
  • MrConCon :4luigi:: Famed Luigi Brawl Main, winner of the Hypest Smash Wii U Release Tournament
  • Kodystri :4ness:: Known for his Ness and Mii Gunner, Kodystri is one of the most consistently top placing online smashers with several 1st Places under his belt.
  • Schmerpin :4peach:: A Peach main who has placed high in many events and generally sweeps the competition. Also known in the world of Super Smash Flash 2 as a serious threat.
  • iiGGYHo3 :rosalina:: A strong player from Texas, you may have seen him on the Tourney Locator stream or seen him placing high in online events. He was also a top threat in PSASBR.
  • t1mmy :4kirby: and t0mmy :substitute:: the famed twins and Melee low tier players (Kirby and Pichu) and known Brawl players in the Oregon scene.
There are many other seeded online players as well that are consistently high placers, and who knows what what hidden bosses may also be entered in the competition as well with Challonge accounts that do not match their known tags or new players who will make a splash debuting at this tournament. Only 32 of all of them will move on for the final double elimination brackets and a chance to win the big prizes, so they must give it their all!

All signups made before the 6 hour checkins begin will have guaranteed entry into the tournament while those who sign up later will be placed if possible. For those interested in signing up for the event, check out the tournament listing on Smashboards for more information. The East Asia/Oceania brackets will begin on Jan. 17th at 11 PM CST, and the rest of the pools begin on Jan. 18th at 1 PM CST. The finals will be streamed by RTGN.TV, with CLASH Tournements, Hypest, E2C, and 15+ other streamers and players confirmed thus far to show various matches throughout the day. Do not miss out on seeing this record breaking event!

SmashCapps is incredibly excited to be one of the tournament organizers for this event and is stoked to see who might win. Follow him on Twitter and give him some top 5 predictions for the event!

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
There really were just too many big names in the online scene to get them all to fit in the article. For those really interested, here's some more names to watch out for:

Roosteron, Fishbait, Captain_Clutch, Figglypuff, KhalJesus, Marsss, lacoot, InfernoOmni, Troyfullbuster, Spirst, Lazyboredom, Mins, Neely, Genoblob, Hub5, BlackCharmeleon, FlashTheSentry, dreamcastfan, Regralht, Jerm, Raffi-X, EZKiller101, Phuzix, Hippo_Knight, Maple, RedPanda_Killinator, Bo X7, Alphamew17, MrDowner, mallow45, RegiShikimi, Chompy, Gyo4vnn, Kurelp, Spire, Chazo, Lasifer, JollyOllyMan5, Cacogen, NiceGuyRy, Galespark, MrNuclearPumpkin, and 15.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
So hype for this. I myself am in this tourney and hope to not get 0-2'd! XD

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
There really were just too many big names in the online scene to get them all to fit in the article. For those really interested, here's some more names to watch out for:

Roosteron, Fishbait, Captain_Clutch, Figglypuff, KhalJesus, Marsss, lacoot, InfernoOmni, Troyfullbuster, Spirst, Lazyboredom, Mins, Neely, Genoblob, Hub5, BlackCharmeleon, FlashTheSentry, dreamcastfan, Regralht, Jerm, Raffi-X, EZKiller101, Phuzix, Hippo_Knight, Maple, RedPanda_Killinator, Bo X7, Alphamew17, MrDowner, mallow45, RegiShikimi, Chompy, Gyo4vnn, Kurelp, Spire, Chazo, Lasifer, JollyOllyMan5, Cacogen, NiceGuyRy, Galespark, MrNuclearPumpkin, and 15.
JJ ROCKETS should be on that list

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
1600+ entrants? How long will this last? Will it go without a hitch?
It's divided into DE brackets, then the top 2 in each of those will go on to the final DE bracket. So it should only be the length of a normal tourney that takes pools. Likely 4-6 hours.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
It's divided into DE brackets, then the top 2 in each of those will go on to the final DE bracket. So it should only be the length of a normal tourney that takes pools. Likely 4-6 hours.
If this goes anything like Smash 64 online tournaments, there will likely be quite a few hiccups.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I just registered, but where do we go to find matches? Will it be on Challonge? Cause I don't see the tournament on Challonge.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm pretty excited for this tournament. I'm still waiting to get my conformation though. It will be the first time I'll really be able to put my Mii Brawler to the test.

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
Is there going to be something like this for Smash 3ds? I only have a 3ds and not a wii u :(

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm going to be streaming my progress through the ranks, and then hopefully follow along with the big name in our bracket. I hear other streamers will have their links posted to Events2Compete website, so look for us!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Is there going to be something like this for Smash 3ds? I only have a 3ds and not a wii u :(
You know this is a good question. Maybe at some point in the future we can try to run something large for 3DS as well, it all depends on sponsorships.

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii

I'm pretty sure I saw Izaw trying to join from facebook too. Might want to add him to the post.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
t1mmy and t0mmy?! Awesome!

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I entered, yet I am much more focused on Melee. Probably too focused.
Welp, see you guys in the losers bracket!

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Heyo, I'm one of the fellow 15+ streamers who will be following some of the games in the North American bracket! Find me at twitch.tv/inflatablethor! :4dedede:

Last edited:

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster

Hey looks my name is there lol nice

MMSK786

Smash Rookie
NNID
MMSK786
3DS FC
1504-5801-6001
I hope they do one for the 3DS version also in the future since I don't own a Wii U. Plus, the timings according to my timezone are 00:00 19th Jan :/.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Had no clue all these players were in, almost wish I never knew lol. I'm under a tag I use elsewhere for anyone curious.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Jesus, I didnt ever think Falcon was this loved in Smash 4. And here I was thinking people would complain that it's going to be like Brawl Falcon and end up sucking.

Player2

Smash Rookie
I might enter for the hell of it since it's an ONLINE TOURNAMENT! Hell yeah! :)

MMSK786

Smash Rookie
NNID
MMSK786
3DS FC
1504-5801-6001
Also, does somebody know if anyone of the players is from Pakistan? I think I'm the only one here who knows about Smash Bros.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I signed up weeks ago! So much practice! hope to do well and at least put up a fight. (As long as I don't get 3 stocked or die to lylas ledges, I'm fine losing)
EDIT: *SPITS OUT TEA* WHAT SCHMERPIN IS A WELL KNOWN PLAYER?!? I FACED HIM IN A TOURNEY BEGINNINGS OF JANUARY WHERE HE WRECKED ME. No wonder..

Last edited:

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
First Smash tournament of any kind ever for me. The best I can hope to do is make my opponent work for it. If I win even a single match I will have exceed my expectations and that would be an accomplishment.

Top Bottom