• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 vs Ultimate, which Kirby do you think is better?

R O F L

Smash Ace
The game has been out for over two weeks, which Kirby do y'all think is better so-far? And if he's looking worse than he was in Smash 4, what buffs do you think he should receive?

Last edited:

Kayakoscep

Smash Rookie
smash 4, He was more playable in smash 4, even with all the "buffs" he got, all the other characters got massives buffs, honestly kirby in smash ultimate is total garbage

Last edited:

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
Sadly, Kayakoscep is right. In a vacuum, Ultimate Kirby would be better, but because of how heavily everyone else got buffed as well as how the engine of the game is compared to Smash 4, he's just straight up trash. His air speed is just atrocious for his weight and his range is bad too. He also lost his easy down-air > down-smash kill confirm and while that was thankfully replaced with landing fair 1 > f-smash/up-smash, it just wasn't enough. He might just be the worst character in the game.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Smash 4. Kirby being bad seems to be a joke among the developers so I guess we'll have to accept that he's a seriously disadvantaged fighter. Definitely bottom 10. Although it's nice to see Dedede and Meta Knight rising on the tier lists.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Can't say for sure at the moment but I would say that he is looking better in this game for the most part. He got reduced landing lag on his aerials but so did everybody else. His Up throw's knockback got nerfed and his Stone is slightly worse at breaking shields, sadly. He did get some range in his smash attacks but the weaknesses he had in Smash 4 are still there.
Something that does annoy me is that he seems to lose his copy abilities more often than before, but I need further confirmation on this.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Kirby is undoubtedly better in a vacuum compared to his Smash 4 counterpart, but compared to everyone else, he ultimately (pffffttt) feels worse overall, mostly because other bottom/low/middle tiers got so much bigger buffs (i.e. Zelda, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Roy, etc.) than he did, whether it was direct buff or changes to the game's mechanics; it also doesn't help that swordies are the big thing currently, which do give Kirby quite a hard time >~<

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kirby is undoubtedly better in a vacuum compared to his Smash 4 counterpart, but compared to everyone else, he ultimately (pffffttt) feels worse overall, mostly because other bottom/low/middle tiers got so much bigger buffs (i.e. Zelda, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Roy, etc.) than he did, whether it was direct buff or changes to the game's mechanics; it also does help that swords are the big thing currently, which do give Kirby quite a hard time >~<
Kirby just doesn't have enough approach or retreat options which doesn't play well with him being super light. In order to win as Kirby you need to both have the read and be unpredictable.

K=RB2

Smash Cadet
This thread aged well.
Kirby is without a doubt better than his Smash 4 incarnation.
He is not a bottom 5 character.
He has niche matchups against Palutena, Lucina, and Fox.
His nair/uair have waaaayyyy better utility.
His results outweigh his Smash 4 ones.

So Ultimate.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
The game has been out for over two weeks, which Kirby do y'all think is better so-far? And if he's looking worse than he was in Smash 4, what buffs do you think he should receive?
It was a hard choice for me and I had to think about it ever since Ultimate (the game I dreamt of in my childhood) came out, but I eventually decided on Ultimate's Kirby. We have Melee dash attack (pure awesomeness), playing him is almost like returning to the Smash 64 glory days of when Kirby was freaking broken (as well as Pika Pika), he's not bottom 5, but still D-Tier like in Smash 4. But overall, I think Ultimate's Kirby is better because you can do the combo I found in Super Smash Flash 2 (yes, that's still a thing): Back Air to Upward Special.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Ultimate is better by far. Almost every character got better in the transition between Smash 4 and Ultimate -- they got more options, their gameplan got cleaned up, etc. Is Kirby further behind the curve in ultimate? Perhaps, but he definitely still trounces Smash 4 Kirby

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Ultimate is better by far. Almost every character got better in the transition between Smash 4 and Ultimate -- they got more options, their gameplan got cleaned up, etc. Is Kirby further behind the curve in ultimate? Perhaps, but he definitely still trounces Smash 4 Kirby
I approve of your avatar and what you had to say, good sir.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I love how the first half of these posts said Kirby was nerfed but the other say he's buffed. Anyway :ultkirby: is better hands down.

Top Bottom