• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

tibs7

Smash Champion
Yeah ricky come down with Kira please!

I also think 2 stock is how it should be. 3 stock we will go until midnight x_x

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
You don't have to try everything to see if you like it.

We never ban tested items, and we never will.

I think you kinda missed the point of my last post; less stocks more games allows greater comeback potential. While it has more filler in terms of downtime, it has less filler in terms of wasted time playing matches that are already decided.

I'll make a larger post transferring this when I get on a computer.
The difference between 2/3 stock and items is that the community is not unanimously in favour of 2 stocks. You may have made up your mind on the issue without needing to try the alternative, but not everyone else has. The point I am trying to get across is not that 3 stocks is a superior format and that you should switch to it, but rather that you should give your community a chance to decide on this issue.

If the Melbourne community had given both formats a try and decided on two stock, or if there was zero interest in the Melbourne community of giving 3 stocks a try, we would not be having this debate. From what I have inferred so far, it seems that no trial has been done, and that there is a not insignificant number of people in the Melbourne community who would be interested in giving 3 stock a try.

I figured I'd bring the issue up since it was mentioned that you'll now have more time, but it seems as though the issue being brought up by someone outside the scene has just been counter-productive, so I apologise for that. I agree that pools are probably more important to most people than 3 stock, so definitely try that first. After that, the scene might appreciate a 3 stock trial if it won't make tournaments run overtime. Just don't assume the scene as a whole is against 3 stock without giving them a chance to voice their opinions.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Sometimes being 'democratic' is a terrible idea. Has anyone checked out our government recently?
Democracy also lead to the customs era dominating the first 6 months of the meta.

It was pretty obvious customs were bad from the start, but we let the people have what they want.

And I think we all know how that turned out...

Tempest

Smash Cadet
Not a fan of 3 stock matches. In smash 4, I find them boring and they drag on the match for that much longer than necessary.

You know what I'm sick of? People from other states trying to change Melbourne's smash scene. Worry about your own scene and that's it. Quite frankly I couldn't give two ****s about the rule sets other states have, so I don't know why other people are concerned about it. I feel like this is Déjà vu all over again with people from other states trying to push for Melbourne to run customs.

A lot of people in Melbourne are actually comfortable with the 2 stock ruleset, and right now running pools is much more of a priority over anything else.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Timing out in this game is definitely no where near as easy as Brawl and you know it.
It's not about trying to actively time out.
Some of the exchanges where both characters are trying to space for damage and fish for a kill can take so long in this game, and can sometimes barely ever actually convert. In Brawl, if you actually did get hit a bunch, a stock can often go pretty fast.

I got timed out today (although the timer was 6minutes) and I thought both myself and my opponent were playing pretty aggressively the whole time.
I suck, but the tournaments are open to everyone, the ruleset isn't just to ensure a good experience for the high end of the game, but something that caters towards an average level of play. and tbh i think it only gets worse if you're a better player dealing with certain MU's or if you wanna be like Attila

Last edited:

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
Okay guys we have the schedule for Smash 4 on the Saturday 26th all ironed out.
There will be no pre-registering for Smash 4 day, due to there only being two events on offer pre-reg won't really cut down on the time it takes to get through people.

10am - Doors open
10:30am - Doubles signups close
11am - Doubles bracket begins

1pm - Singles Signups close
2pm - Wave 1 Singles Pools (Pools A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H)
4pm - Wave 2 Singles Pools (Pools I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P)
6pm - Top 32 Singles Bracket

If we do not have enough setups the schedule will look like this
2pm - Smash 4 bracket starts
7:30pm - Smash 4 Tris / Quads / random free event (Undecided on what this will be yet)

I absolutely STRESS the importance of being on time. If you are late at all for signups, you will NOT be getting into bracket. No. Nada. Nothing. Sort out your money in advance before reaching the venue instead of hitting up the ATM at the last minute and aim to get there thirty minutes before what you are signing up for closes. This way if you or your method of transport is late (Train delays, stuck in traffic etc) you will still have enough spare time to get to the venue.
We will have a lot of people to process on the day. Making, seeding, double-checking and placing people into bracket/pools takes a lot of time. The event will only progress as fast as the slowest pool and the slowest match, IE the slowest pool/match holds up everyone else. If you are not in the building when your bracket or pool starts, you will be DQ'D after five minutes once you are identified as not being there. We cannot afford to be doing things last-minute, or we will run overtime. I will not, repeat, WILL NOT be merciful on the day to people who are late for any reason.

I know I sound like a massive ass, however it is important that the event runs smoothly due to how demanding our time constraints are. If the event goes overtime, we will not be running pools in the future.

There is one, brief exception to the above - For entering doubles, if you or your doubles partner have signed up but you/your doubles partner is not at the venue when signups close, as long as you/your partner show up and pay BEFORE the bracket begins, you will still be allowed in bracket, otherwise the team will be DQ'D or given a replacement partner if one exists.

PS - If you are being given DQ warnings on the microphone, please come to the front desk to let us know you are in the venue doing what you need to be doing, send someone to let us know on your behalf. We do not magically know if you are in the venue or not and it would be a shame to DQ someone who is actively playing and progressing their matches.

Phew. I hope to see you all there and I hope you make it more tolerable for us in making this the best monthly in Australia!

Tempest

Smash Cadet
1pm - Singles Signups close
2pm - Wave 1 Singles Pools (Pools A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H)
4pm - Wave 2 Singles Pools (Pools I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P)
6pm - Top 32 Singles Bracket
I like the new schedule but I couldn't help but wonder why is there a hour between when signups close and when wave 1 of pools start? If it would be possible, (assuming things go smoothly) could Wave 1 pools start at 1:30? I don't think people would want to do 1 hour of playing friendlies, and I think it would be better in terms of time constraints for pools to start ASAP.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to the day.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I like the new schedule but I couldn't help but wonder why is there a hour between when signups close and when wave 1 of pools start? If it would be possible, (assuming things go smoothly) could Wave 1 pools start at 1:30? I don't think people would want to do 1 hour of playing friendlies, and I think it would be better in terms of time constraints for pools to start ASAP.

Doubles bracket starts at 11am.

It's not going to be finished in 2 hours.

DD_

Smash Journeyman

"TO Yoself b4 u rek yoself" - Darren "Dreadtech" Taing, 2015

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet

Seeding and making pools will take almost an hour if we wanna do it properly unless you want me to just shuffle random people into groups regardless of seeds.
Dread is beating to me to it! I need to make shorter responses...

We have to seed top 48 (1st 2nd and 3rd seed for each pool) at minimum for Pools to work without being a mess, which we cannot know for 100% certain until signups close. You could argue that pre-reg allows us to do this in advance but a fairly substantial amount of people who pre-reg don't actually show up on the day and the only way we could fix this is by forcing mandatory paid pre-reg only which is almost entirely never going to happen as a monthly. Then we have to make the pools, transfer the names onto each pool sheet and print them off, then make sure the head of each pool knows who they have in their pool and decide which setups belong to each pool based on what the community has brought and which setups should remain as friendly-only setups.

We've sometimes struggled to get a bracket together in half an hour, which takes far less work.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
People who pre-reg get a venue fee discount (i.e. the current venue price?), extra costs justified due to increased admin / accounting.
While I'm sure there are good things that money could be put towards, you'd send the message home if people who pre-registered get partial refunds from the abundance of those who didn't :p
Discounts for equipment bringers is also communal minded that people like.

You guys do have a pre-reg indicator already I'm guessing through the facebook events. Are the people who say yes/maybe too flaky on average to trust it?
Is there a lack of correlation to a person's name and their tag?

Once upon a time, AiB (now nintendojo or whatever) let you set up a tournament with individual events people could pre-reg for. It was pretty useful in helping me pre-make pools / brackets and registration before the day, but it was grueling and annoying to get people to stay consistent with it (lack of care / average laziness within the scene though :()

Grading people ahead of the time helps, if you're looking at 3 seeds per pool then you should have 3 lists with about 50% excess players (for the amount of pools you want to run / bracket size). If it's predone and generally agreed upon than the confusion of seeding properly on the day involves minor pushes up and down for last minute entrants. To be really extensive I'd also keep tabs on names of people who have fought recently in early stages of brackets (people on average get more upset that they're playing Attila first round all the time over being always up against a different top seed)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@ Shaya Shaya

Because people don't lose anything by not preregistering, they cbf doing it.

So we always end up with way more people than the list would predict. This is normally OK, but it really makes making pools difficult.

Splice

Smash Hero
its not hard to make pools in an hour

dont do mandatory pre-reg, it'd make it way harder to herd new people to tournaments for me
heaps of people don't commit til the night before

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hey, just wondering if there's any new melee/PM schedule announced?
There is.
Dreadtech said:
Schedule for MELEE +PM on the 27th September

Melee + PM Ranking Battle Scedule

11am - Melee Doubles

12pm - SIGN UPS FOR MELEE SINGLES CLOSE (Sharp)

1pm - Melee Singles Groups 1 - 8 (2 Hour Block)

3pm - Melee Singles Groups 9 - 16 (2 Hour Block)

4:30pm - PM SINGLES (Double elim)

7:00pm - Top 32 Melee Bracket

With the introduction of pools for Melee we have to be more strict on signup cutoffs and DQ's. No Exceptions. Please get someone to sign up for you if you cannot make it. Plan yourselves accordingly. Pre sign up is no longer a thing

We may be the smaller community compared to what smash 4 is at this point but we're running more events. This means that it is imperative we run on time.

As for PM Doubles...I see no point in running something that will only get 8 teams. Literally none. I'd like to ask the community to garner interest for me to run it. Make a petition sheet. do a poll, something that shows me it's worth it to run PM doubles. If I get good response, then we run it the next month.

Last edited:

Drizzy J

Smash Rookie
Hey peepz I'm looking to get a doubles partner for this month in Melee, I've only started playing Melee a few months ago so if anyone with a bit of experience who can give me some tips and help would wanna partner that would be sweet, might be a bit of a long shot but if anyone would be happy to then please hit me up

S.D

Smash Master
Hey peepz I'm looking to get a doubles partner for this month in Melee, I've only started playing Melee a few months ago so if anyone with a bit of experience who can give me some tips and help would wanna partner that would be sweet, might be a bit of a long shot but if anyone would be happy to then please hit me up
If you don't get a response here you'll likely be able to pair up with someone on the day who is also looking for a teammate.
Good luck and enjoy :)

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
Now that we are free from the tyranny of adopting the ruleset of upcoming majors we can do our own thing, so for the upcoming Smash 4 Ranbat this is our ruleset.

We will be trialing Mii Fighters default size, all moves. When a Mii is first picked in a set, they pick their moves at the same time. After this, a Mii Fighter may not swap their chosen moves for the rest of the set.

We are going with 2-stock 8 minutes, with seven stages this time, with two bans in a Bo3 and one ban in a Bo5, featuring Modified DSR - You cannot pick the last stage that you won on.

Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville
Dreamland

Counter picks
Halberd
Lylat Cruise

Last edited:

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
Yo I just want to make a small message to all the people on the fence about bringing a Wii U to next weeks CouchWarriors Event.
If you can bring a Wii U please consider doing so. Pools will not only make the event incredible for us established players, but I'm sure it will also help retain new players and grow our scene even more. Having too many Wii U's is never a problem, not having enough is quite a dire one.

MapleDialga

Smash Rookie
NNID
DialgRe
3DS FC
4811-7170-7397
No Smash 4 on the same day as PM?

Guess I'll try Sunday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom