• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 updates from PAX last week (note: E3 build version of the game)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I'll give updates from the E3 Build, which i played at PAX last week for a few hours (mostly 2 min item FFAs waiting in long lines). These are obviously not the most recent build of the game, but I'll give updates for those curious in case a lot of these were the same

-ZSS seemed the best.
-SH aerials autocancel, and she has low landing lag in general
-Safe range
-Down throw combos to Uair or Fair which is amazing
-Uair combos to basically anything
-Bair is pretty strong
-Jumps and double jumps very high/very fast
-you can Air dodge into a Zair and have no landing lag (but the majority of characters, who do not have a Zair, have to suffer ~20? frames landing lag, making characters that can Zair really good since you can do it even the frame before you land if you want and be fine). Her Zair does 3% and will probably be effective vs tall characters.
-Down B is really good evasively as it's hard to catch her. You can be shielding, then jump and down B and escape to a new position quickly. It's useful in almost any situation to get to a new position fast and safely.
-Up B OOS (out of shield) is very good if they are hitting your shield at close range and I got KOs at 90 with it.

-Bowser is good due to weight + power.
-never loses FFAs
-SH Fair/SH Bair both Autocancel. But you cannot double jump out of it
-Forward smash and Bair hit REALLY hard
-throws far
-very heavy
-koopa klaw is a very fast grab but not a ton of range
-up B OOS still works and is easy to hit with but does a lot less damage than before also, and you can't fall off platforms with it
-Down B hits twice (a 2nd hit upon landing) and can break shields if both hits hit

-Kirby feels good.
-Bair is good like usual
-Kirby's landing lag is small
-you cannot DI Dair it seems
-Dair combos to other moves
-Up tilts combo into itself easily at low %

-Pikachu's SH Nair and SH Fair both autocancel. Nair landing without autocancel is kind of laggy though.
-Uair does 5% and combos to Nair for 17% combo iirc. Good move.
-Neutral B does 6% and has low lag but low hitstun compared to previous games
-Thunder feels overall faster but less powerful as well
-Up smash to thunder still works
-Pikachu releases from the ledge [grab] faster than other characters by a lot it seems.

-Marth's can SH Fair to a Double Jump Fair before landing. Fair is laggier in the air and has a lot more landing lag, so you may not want to land with it as often as in Melee/Brawl unless you are confident it will hit. A good strategy with marth would be to run at someone then do a rising Fair in place (or moving backwards) since rising Fairs are still solid damage. You could also in theory just land without an aerial (if they're waiting for landing lag of a fair or landing lag from an air dodge) to mix good players up, since you'll land without lag that way.
-Marth's counter hits a lot harder now

-Mario's aerials have very tiny lag in all possible ways, and quick autocancels
-Mario's down smash is pretty weak

-DK's Cargo to Uair still seemed to work for me

-Sheik has low landing lag
-Sheik is weak and lacks range. I only played Sheik 1 FFA game though since the 3ds line was long.

-Greninja/Wii fit also felt weak but i only played them 1 game each and it was just FFAs

link/toon link/samus/zss can all Zair and have no [noticable] landing lag. The difference with Brawl Zairs is that Brawl landing lag was like 2-4 frames or so ALWAYS (regardless of if it's air dodge landing or zair landing), but NOW if your character DOESN'T have a Zair, (most characters), then the air dodge will just be a third of a second landing lag or so (approx guess. A lot of these are just approx guesses without any true testing). This means you can air dodge a move (like an enemy's Uair), Zair like the frame before you land or few frames before you land [you lose your invincibility when you start the zair obviously) and have nearly no landing lag where the majority of the cast must suffer a lot of landing lag since they can't Zair-cancel. I think I should call this tactic "zair-cancel". Just theorizing atm. Zair cancel will basically be what normal Brawl was it's just the majority of the cast now has to suffer tremendous air dodge landing lag. Air dodging will be a worse option for most of the cast by far in comparison to Brawl due to the landing lag. Empty landings without any attack will have almost no landing lag so this could be an advanced mixup vs players that like to shield grab landings (since landings in smash 4 are laggier than other smash games).

-Dash Dance shield still works but not as well as it did in Brawl. Felt decent with ZSS/Pikachu at least.
-The first ledge grab has regular invinciblity (but you're stuck on the ledge for a third of a second before you can move it feels like) but the 2nd ledge grab has no invincibility (this may or may not have been changed? idk?)
-Dash away to F tilt didn't seem very useful to me but maybe I need a character with more range to try it with like DK or a swordsman maybe.
-DI is in the game, but only like a third? as pronounced as it was before
-Smash DI seems to not be in the game
-shield dropping is back

This is all my updates. It may not all be 100% true but that's the updates I told you guys I would give.

In semi-related news, I'm having 2 websites soon relating to smash 4 (neither are ready yet but will be in upcoming weeks and updated constantly). mew2king.com I will upload anything relating to me at (where I'm streaming, what stream(links to it every day), tournaments, blogs, guides, older archives, etc, random things), and I'm having another site for many other things which I won't name yet with a focus on Smash 4. I am hoping everyone will join my upcoming site. If you want these updates, follow my social media (in my signature below). I plan to do a LOT of work for Smash 4 for both myself and the community.

I am hoping you guys will want to check these sites daily (might be released in a week or two at best case scenario), as it will be updated and improved every day.

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Do you still attach to the ledge from unreasonable distances, like in Brawl?

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Marios Down Smash is weaker than it was in Brawl? What? That sounds ridiculous. Does he have any other solid kill options though?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Marios Down Smash is weaker than it was in Brawl? What? That sounds ridiculous. Does he have any other solid kill options though?
I think it did like 11%? But mario is way better in smash 4 than he was in brawl, although a similar design but felt way better like he could win for sure. Bair is really good. Uair feels good. Nair too. Nair/Bair have very tiny landing lag. Bair/Uair end very fast in general also. Down throw Dair/Uair i THINK works but I'm not 100% sure but I got it a bunch of times. Did a lot of combos as Mario.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Thanks for the analysis M2k! I'll be looking forward to your stream of the full version of the game when you get it. Hopefully I won't be too busy with class work.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Something peeps seem to forget about Zair landing is that characters with this trait also have to deal with having bad tether grabs. I think it's cool they have something that balances it out, hopefully it's not too powerful in the context of the games mechanics.

Last edited:

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Ah alright, don't worry about it then. So overall, are you satisfied with what you played? And who seemed like "main material" to you?

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mew2King. Did you try out Sonic? Is he good? Also will you be playing against fans online in Smash 4 3DS and Wii U?

ryd33n

Smash Rookie
Does this look like something which might have more tourney/competitive potential than Brawl ended up having?

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
forgot to test glide tossing. I probably should have made a list of things to test but I just went in yolo instead
In the newer Pax build many characters got buffs since E3. For example, Greninja is much more powerful but his down air isnt as spammable.

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
In the newer Pax build many characters got buffs since E3. For example, Greninja is much more powerful but his down air isnt as spammable.
What other changes have you noticed?

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I remember I was watching the 3DS tourney and the Bowser was like caught under the battlefield ledge or something and he STILL grabbed the ledge somehow. I'd say it's even worse.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Does the large amount of lag only apply when you airdodge, or does it make you lag with just a regular emtyjump too?
Also, who seems to have the most impressive backair?(low lag, big hitbox)

Kixar

Smash Rookie
Bowsers up-b can't go off platforms? What the hell? So can he at least go off stage with it? Or whatever ground he's on he will just be stuck unless you direct him in another direction?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
SDI was in the E3 demo, it's just like 1/4? of Brawl, aka near-useless. Are you sure it was completely removed at PAX?

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Who are u gonna abuse & break that's gonna make noobs want 'em banned?

:017:

Last edited:

LeafB

Smash Rookie
This doesn't really answer the question, but Sakurai said this in a previous Pic of the Day in January:
"-Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
-Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage."

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
Glad to hear Super Mario got a general buff from his Brawl counterpart . Thanks , Mew2King .

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Now the 3ds version is getting better and better.

Oatmealski

The Hero of Oatmeal (and chin beards too).
3DS FC
1821-9353-4818
If you had a Pseudo-Tier list for this build, what would it be, M2K?

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
Hey, @ Mew2King Mew2King

Between your experiences playing the game and the recent influx of information concerning the final build, what are your thoughts on Smash 4's competitive viability?

Are there any characters you want to main?

What do you think are the best and worst things about Smash 4?

And I appreciate your contribution to the community!

Silver Sama

Smash Rookie
NNID
Absolutezero77
I heard Marth was pretty badly nerfed in the new games. That's such a shame, did you feel slightly weakened or ungodly whilst playing as him? I hope he is different, if only slightly, in the final build of the game coming out in a few months.

Top Bottom