• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Update 1.10 - More Info!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I think Sakarai is releasing costumes of characters people like but ones he will not be adding. Lloyd would be another sword user and a harder one to make (dual wielding), so making him would be welcomed but also annoying. He is pretty popular too, but far from unique. Making his moveset would be so slashyslashy that even Lucina would be unimpressed.

King K Rool's size, to be accurate, would have to be bigger than Bowser since King K Rool is x1.5~x2 the size of DK. So he is almost in the same boat as Ridley except Ridley is just RIDICULOUSLY huge.

So all in all, this is actually the best outcome that appeases some fans, leaving room for other characters. Sakarai clearly wants the same attention to detail and accuracy for all the characters in terms of looks (which is especially apparent with the likes of Ryu or Mario). So downsizing King K Rool to actually fit in the game would probably be against the basis for creating a character for Sm4sh.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
It's been brought up a few times. But let me simply ask you this, if King K. Rool or Lloyd had enough ballots in the vote, do you really think Nintendo wouldn't make them characters just because there is a Mii costume?

While the costume may imply that Nintendo has no planned DLC for them, the ballot is not planned out. Furthermore, these costumes more then likely were decided upon before the game, and definitely before the ballot, was even out. Especially when you consider Chrom, Lloyd, and K. Rool where all very popular before the game released (Chrom with the leaks, Lloyd before Pac-Man was announced, and K. Rool has always been popular). So it is unlikely the costume kills a characters chance in the ballot.
"If I'm wrong, feel free to call me out... because I'll be thrilled if somehow K. Rool still manages to make it!"

Yes, I do think they wouldn't create the characters even if the ballots voted them the highest. What if Ridley got the most votes? King K. Rool has been wanted since before Melee even came out, so maybe there is a reason we don't know about (similar to Ridley's reasons) that Sakurai feels K. Rool simply doesn't fit the Smash Bros character criteria.

But like I said, seriously, feel free to say "I TOLD YOU SO" if I'm wrong! lol. I would love to be wrong about this.

Eureka

Smash Ace
"If I'm wrong, feel free to call me out... because I'll be thrilled if somehow K. Rool still manages to make it!"

Yes, I do think they wouldn't create the characters even if the ballots voted them the highest. What if Ridley got the most votes? King K. Rool has been wanted since before Melee even came out, so maybe there is a reason we don't know about (similar to Ridley's reasons) that Sakurai feels K. Rool simply doesn't fit the Smash Bros character criteria.

But like I said, seriously, feel free to say "I TOLD YOU SO" if I'm wrong! lol. I would love to be wrong about this.
I honestly don't think it's all that crazy that King K. Rool hasn't gotten into Smash Brothers yet. Yes he has a lot of fans, but outside of those fans there wasn't much going for him. I think the recent campaign to #krocthevote has shown a lot of people, including myself, the virtues (as a playable character, because KKR doesn't have any virtues personalty wise) of having him in Smash.

And I was kinda trying to call you out, let me try again.

HEY YOU! YEAH YOU PUNK, YOU'RE WRONG! THIS COSTUME DOESN'T MEAN DIDDLY SQUAT FOR KING K. ROOL'S CHANCES! NOW GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN HOW TO BE RIGHT BECAUSE YOU'RE WROOONNNGG!
Kappa
But I guess we can't get any full call outs until the ballot is over. I'm sure there will be a lot of call outs if King K. Rool does get in though.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I honestly don't think it's all that crazy that King K. Rool hasn't gotten into Smash Brothers yet. Yes he has a lot of fans, but outside of those fans there wasn't much going for him. I think the recent campaign to #krocthevote has shown a lot of people, including myself, the virtues (as a playable character, because KKR doesn't have any virtues personalty wise) of having him in Smash.

And I was kinda trying to call you out, let me try again.

HEY YOU! YEAH YOU PUNK, YOU'RE WRONG! THIS COSTUME DOESN'T MEAN DIDDLY SQUAT FOR KING K. ROOL'S CHANCES! GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN HOW TO BE RIGHT BECAUSE YOU'RE WROOONNNGG!
Kappa
But I guess we can't get any full call outs until the ballot is over. I'm sure there will be a lot of call outs if King K. Rool does get in though.
LMAO!!

Well I meant you should call me out AFTER we know for sure that I'm wrong, but well done. Very well done.

So who did you vote for anyway, @ E Eureka ?

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
LMAO!!

Well I meant you should call me out AFTER we know for sure that I'm wrong, but well done. Very well done.

So who did you vote for anyway, @ E Eureka ?
I personally voted for Blaziken, I've loved the flaming karate chicken since I was 7, and it would be a dream come true to have him playable. It's a long shot, but I can try. In terms of more likely characters I'd like to see Isaac be playable and Wolf to make his return. Honestly though, I would be amazed if Wolf doesn't make it in as DLC before the ballot.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So at the time of this posting, it appears to be 4:00am, 7/31 in Japan. I didn't realize they were 11 freaking hours ahead of us lmao

This means that update could be dropping at any time, honestly, huh?

AceStone

Smash Rookie
Lloyd would be another sword user and a harder one to make (dual wielding), so making him would be welcomed but also annoying. He is pretty popular too, but far from unique. Making his moveset would be so slashyslashy that even Lucina would be unimpressed.

King K Rool's size, to be accurate, would have to be bigger than Bowser since King K Rool is x1.5~x2 the size of DK. So he is almost in the same boat as Ridley except Ridley is just RIDICULOUSLY huge.

So downsizing King K Rool to actually fit in the game would probably be against the basis for creating a character for Sm4sh.
Lloyd would have a VERY much different set than any other sword user. All his techs will play different. Demon Fang, Tempest, Rising Falcon/Phoenix, Beast, Sword Rain, Falcons Crest, etc, etc. They could also incorporate his tech system in the game where his moves become combinations. His Smash attacks could also incorporate his techs. Tilts might share possible similarities. But Lloyd, overall, has a good selection to make him different. They input SF's system for Ryu, they could do the same with Lloyd. Except, Lloyds would be much easier for button input.

Bowser is much bigger than mario. He was resized. Olimar is the size of Marios toe. Resized. Pikachu is the size of Marios shoulder. Resized. King K. Rool won't be an issue. Ridley is different, though. I agree there. It's not his body that's the problem. It's his wings and tail. But, hey, if Sakurai shoots our theories into the ground, great. Lol

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
All of these Mii costumes are cool, but can we get some alternate costumes for the other playable characters, too? I feel like most of us would be a lot more willing to spend money on something that made our mains look cooler than more costumes for characters that don't see much use.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
All of these Mii costumes are cool, but can we get some alternate costumes for the other playable characters, too? I feel like most of us would be a lot more willing to spend money on something that made our mains look cooler than more costumes for characters that don't see much use.
Agreed 100%. Mii costumes are pretty cool, but you can't use them online, so their appeal is pretty limited. Give us costume packs of maybe one or two alternate costumes for actual characters and I'd purchase those in a heartbeat.

Protoman, Metal Sonic, Outset Island Toon Link, Ms. Pac-Man, Mr. L, Dry Bones Bowser, the list goes on and on.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
That Lloyd costume will most likely be the only costume I ever buy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So is this update dropping today? It said AM in one of the tweets so does that mean it can be released anytime between 6PM and 11PM EST?

Also, is this update exclusive to Japan?

Eureka

Smash Ace
Yeah, but shouldn't Lloyd have two swords?
He does, it's just that he has one sheathed. Then again, they couldn't really make it work as a swordfighter skin if he had two swords.
So is this update dropping today? It said AM in one of the tweets so does that mean it can be released anytime between 6PM and 11PM EST?

Also, is this update exclusive to Japan?
2 A.M. EST if what I've been told is true. Also no, this update is not Japan exclusive.

Last edited:

ShadowPlumberX

Smash Rookie
NNID
RedTheElite
3DS FC
5343-7610-4165
Ehh, not a big Mii guy. I'm not dropping anymore dough on some more costumes.

Dan

Smash Lord
So why exactly is Sakurai paying homage to Winnie the Pooh...?

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I personally voted for Blaziken, I've loved the flaming karate chicken since I was 7, and it would be a dream come true to have him playable. It's a long shot, but I can try. In terms of more likely characters I'd like to see Isaac be playable and Wolf to make his return. Honestly though, I would be amazed if Wolf doesn't make it in as DLC before the ballot.
Not much of a Blaziken fan myself, but I was 9 was when I played Pokémon Red for the first time, so my heart has always belonged to Charizard... as a person who loves what reminds me of my childhood, I can totally appreciate that nice sentiment towards Blaziken. It would make a unique fighter for sure. I also completely agree that Wolf will be making a comeback, with or without roster votes.

My vote went towards Impa... We're in need of another unique Zelda-rep, and I really fell in love with Impa in Skyward Sword & Hyrule Warriors. (If not Impa, I want Dixie Kong the most... then King K. Rool)

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
As mentioned before, it's sad that we can't use Miis Online to show this awesome costumes. I would love to purchase a set of alternate costumes of the main cast, like 8 new colors; it's very weird/unfair that Little Mac have one but not the rest of the cast.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Oh bother.

Well he can still be an Assist Trophy when Sora gets in, right?

Sora does not belong in this game I love SSB but people really need to stop trying to steal Sony characters, the main games of the series came out on Playstation, they already stole Snake because of one GC game this is getting out of hand with these cameos and requests.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sora does not belong in this game I love SSB but people really need to stop trying to steal Sony characters, the main games of the series came out on Playstation, they already stole Snake because of one GC game this is getting out of hand with these cameos and requests.
I was just making a joke.

He's a dream addition but I am not actively rooting for him. I may put a vote in for him though.

There are literally as many Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo as there are on Playstation, though. And you can't say they aren't main games since they are all important to the story and the series has not bothered with a numerical sequel for years.

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool is not from the Mii Plaza.
Obviously but people are saying Meta Knight has a mii costume so king k rool having a costume still means he can come in, though the meta knight costume was easily transferred from Mii Plaza along with the other hats

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
Technically the metal gear series started on the nes, not meaning to be rude just a small correction

Eureka

Smash Ace
Technically the metal gear series started on the nes, not meaning to be rude just a small correction
It actually started on the MSX2 PC, although yes the first console Metal Gear game was a NES port. Then again that port was of... suspect quality.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So why exactly is Sakurai paying homage to Winnie the Pooh...?
He was quite bothered that he wasn't in Smash in some form. He didn't want to be seen as a Somebody-I-Don't-Know. He also wanted Smash Bros to represent honey in some form.

---------------

So any news on when exactly this update drops? (preferably a UK time)

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Guys remember SSF2. Sora is already playable. In fact, such as the case for Megaman, it's hilarious to see Samurai try to avoid making new characters function too closely to their SSF2 versions. It probably isn't true, but I got a giggle out of contemplating whether Megaman's moveset is so weird in SSB4 because Samurai is too proud to allow the "official" moveset to resemble a fan concept. Even then, it has striking similarities.

Also, the dev team isn't even releasing HD versions of the past stages but they're still charging us for it. PMDT is putting more work into Smash stages than Samurai's dev team ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also if I'm reading this correctly, is it dropping in Japan tonight at 11pm PST?

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I'm just honestly mad that the development team clearly doesn't give a **** about Mii Fighters as legitimate characters (based on how they aren't available online and don't count toward challenges like clearing something with all characters and don't even have default movesets to choose without creating a custom character), yet clearly puts more effort into their customizability and cosmetics than any other character.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
I think that if Snake, Wolf, and Isaac don't have Mii costumes by now, they must be fighters. There has been too many of these costumes to not have at least one of them get one.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
If we are getting more 3rd party costumes I would honestly love to see a NiGHTS themed costume

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
I was just making a joke.

He's a dream addition but I am not actively rooting for him. I may put a vote in for him though.

There are literally as many Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo as there are on Playstation, though. And you can't say they aren't main games since they are all important to the story and the series has not bothered with a numerical sequel for years.
Yea they have 3 is coming out but it takes time to make a good game, btw those DS games are on Playstation remade.

Last edited:

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Be that as it may no one really cares about those games or even know they exist he's not really a Nintendo staple who is widley recognized as such, the MGS series on the PlayStation is what made him big. these days they are just reaching for anything remotely related to Nintendo to add to this game.

NipahAllDay

Smash Cadet
NNID
NipahEveryDay
3DS FC
1932-5500-1950
Lloyd ;_; I hope this doesn't mean he's not going to be a official character.

Top Bottom