• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's official now. AR Man is the next Impa.

Much like Diddy made me hate Impa, BluePikmin has turned me against AR Man.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
People have gotten TWO WTF characters already. Sakurai isn't a fool. He knows well that that people don't want another WTF character and that he shouldn't toy with gamers' expectations.
Well you can't expect anything surprising to the regular Smash fan later in the months, After WFT was revealed, I felt that there was going to be another surprising character, immediately thought of AR Man.
Also we're you talking about Villager and WFT? I think Villager was expected.

splat

Smash Lord
There's plenty of original moves AR Man can have using the Augmented reality gimmick. It's like the Sim assist trophy in a nutshell.
(Again I just made a complete move set for him in his thread, did you even go through reading it?)
Also, I won't be using technical logic anymore, since someone ends up finding something and prove I'm wrong)

I have read your moveset, yes, and I repeat my previous statements. Nothing you listed on there connects to AR Man (whose name isn't actually AR Man but Mr. AR, you might want to know the name of the character your supporting) but moreso to AR Games in general. The thing that would make him stand out - altering the stage - is only used twice, the rest the moveset more or less is "AR Man summons cards and does this". The only move that would make sense for Mr. AR to use a card in is his entrance, because it's the only interaction the character has with the cards.

Also, saying a character concept could be condensed to an assist trophy concept from Brawl just proves it's a ****ty concept.

That being said, GY will not add it to the chart for good reason, I'm done discussing.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well I did my best to make the move set unique to Mr. AR (I'm used to saying AR Man though).
Also being a *%%%ty concept is not a good reason to tell why AR Man should not be on the chart. What should you know is that everyone who saw WFT was generally either confused, nagging, or surprised in a good way. After a while everyone realized she might be a fun character to play as, I do think AR Man has potential to be a fun and surprising character.

D

Deleted member

I really don't have to do **** in terms of other characters on the chart just because the character you want is not on it.

D

Deleted member

I've already explained.
And what I didn't go into detail, others already have.

So knock the **** off.

D

Deleted member

It's not my opinion Mr. AR isn't considerable, it's a damn fact backed with logic.

-The only reason you go on about him (and before that, "Mr. Hanafuda") is just so you show support for an unexpected character FOR THE SAKE of being unexpected.
However, we already got an unexpected character. Her title is "Wii Fit Trainer". And she is not an invitation for other random character ideas.

-Using WFT as a comparison is not a good one.
Wii Fit is a modern series that makes a crapton of money. "AR Games" is an obscure app for the 3DS.
Wii Fit Trainer is a prominent character in the franchise. Mr. AR makes mere cameos in his own game.
Wii Fit Trainer is actually feasible as a fighter. Mr. AR is not. (And before you bring up your moveset for the umpteenth million time, that means nothing; I could make a moveset for a Face Raider but that wouldn't make one any more feasible.

-Drawing comparisons to Gooey and Tamagon are also bad.
Gooey doesn't need arms or legs; he's got an amorphous body and a long tongue, as well as the copy abilities from Dream Land 3 much like how Kirby uses various copy ability attacks.
Tamagon has a mouth and feet (and depending on a design route for a modernized take on him, he could be given feet that can grab, not unlike Mike Wazowski's original concept from Monster's Inc.).
Mr. AR? Just tiny legs. That's it.

You wanted a lengthy explanation? You got one. Now shut up.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Oooh you removed the spoiler tags. Looking great!

I must agree that Sepia or a red cross would be better for denied characters.
Balloon fighter currently doesn't stand out at all and it's difficult to tell that there's anything different about him.

I really hope Sakurai gets some sort of DOJO like news feature going. Otherwise this whole thread idea is going to waste.

Cantplaythesolo

Smash Rookie
Just joined to suggest you add Simon Belmont from Castlevania and Amaterasu from Okami to the list.

Otherwise I think you pretty well have it covered.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While I can see a potential case for Simon Belmont, I highly doubt Amaterasu will make it. Sakurai said that Mega Man getting in was a really special case, and that "not every character" could pull it off. Considering Amaterasu is far less requested and popular than even a Street Fighter character, combined with the fact that two Capcom reps is an extremely unlikely scenario, and it doesn't look favorably for her.

Welcome to the boards, though!

Cantplaythesolo

Smash Rookie
Thanks Opossum.

I have to say, Amaterasu has a better chance to get in then most of those third party characters, apparently she was wanted in Playstation All-Stars AND Marvel VS Capcom 3. Or at least, had people ask about her inclusion. I'm calling her the dark horse/out of left field pick.

Anyways, am I the only person that thinks we should only have ONE Pokemon character? We really don't need all those spots taken up like that. They should cut them all out and have a vote between Pikachu and a Pokemon Trainer with the newest games starters.

I'm not a big Pokemon fan so maybe I'm being an asshole. I just think those spots could be used better. I mean, who uses Jigglypuff?

EDIT: Just noticed, no other Megaman characters listed. You don't think they'll include Wily or Protoman?

Was Rayman on the list?

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks Opossum.

I have to say, Amaterasu has a better chance to get in then most of those third party characters, apparently she was wanted in Playstation All-Stars AND Marvel VS Capcom 3. Or at least, had people ask about her inclusion. I'm calling her the dark horse/out of left field pick.

Anyways, am I the only person that thinks we should only have ONE Pokemon character? We really don't need all those spots taken up like that. They should cut them all out and have a vote between Pikachu and a Pokemon Trainer with the newest games starters.

I'm not a big Pokemon fan so maybe I'm being an *******. I just think those spots could be used better. I mean, who uses Jigglypuff?
I used Jigglypuff a lot. He was my co-main in the 64 game. He was my co-main in Melee. He was also my co-main in Brawl. However, I only used him to mess around with online or against level 9 computers. I do agree that Pokemon takes up a significant portion of the roster. But it is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises. There is NO way they are taking out Pikachu. NO WAY. I mean he is literally about as important as Mario. Pokemon is fine as is based on its popularity. If anything omit one of them... probably Jigglypuff. :jigglypuff64: :jigglypuffmelee: :jigglypuff:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, behind Banjo and Mega Man, Simon is my most-wanted third party. However, in order for him to be there, I'm pretty sure Snake would get the boot. I don't want that either. No two Konami reps and all that. :(

Pokemon is fine as is based on its popularity.

I hope this statement includes Mewtwo, because if it doesn't, it's sorely mistaken.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
EDIT: Just noticed, no other Megaman characters listed. You don't think they'll include Wily or Protoman?

Was Rayman on the list?

Well considering only Sonic and Snake got in and Sakurai doesn't want to go mad on Third parties we can assume there'll only be one from a new franchise.

And yes, Rayman was there but we did a reality check and only chose the ones that had a REALLY good chance of being included.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In my point of view, I got TWO wtf characters revealed. And Mega Man was not one of them. And Wii Fit Trainer was the WTF I actually liked. :(

I just realized that if Sonic returns, and Pac Man is included... We got ourselves a small Project X Zone with characters that didn't get in THAT game. :D (X is not this Mega Man)

D

Deleted member

Oooh you removed the spoiler tags. Looking great!

I must agree that Sepia or a red cross would be better for denied characters.
Balloon fighter currently doesn't stand out at all and it's difficult to tell that there's anything different about him.

I really hope Sakurai gets some sort of DOJO like news feature going. Otherwise this whole thread idea is going to waste.
I've talked to AEM about that. He's thinking of something.
He says that the sepia is a little too much work to do, so he'll find something distinct yet simple.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I know this is totally unrelated to ... well... everything discussed at the moment.

But only for a game like this would I approve of the Skylanders / Disney Infinity "DLC" method, if it guaranteed (keyword) post-release DLC.

(Sides... would be freaking cool to have official SSB trophies in their rightful game poses!)

CalumG

Smash Lord
People have gotten TWO WTF characters already. Sakurai isn't a fool. He knows well that that people don't want another WTF character and that he shouldn't toy with gamers' expectations.
Have we? Wii Fit Trainer is the first 'wtf' character, Mega Man was an immensely popular choice, and many people were in support of an Animal Crossing rep, even since the days of early Brawl (especially when Smashville was announced on the Dojo and wasn't given a character to match). I don't think Villager can really be seen as a 'wtf' character, since the only reason he took a majority of us by surprise in the first place was due to Sakurai's red-herring interview in which he stated Animal Crossing didn't have any fitting fighting reps.

I guess if you wanted to stretch it, Villager did make us go 'wtf', but it was more like 'wtf, Sakurai has completely gone back on his word, this opens up a whole new realm of possibilities' (*COUGH*Ridley*COUGH*) rather than 'wtf I genuinely didnt see this coming'.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I guess if you wanted to stretch it, Villager did make us go 'wtf', but it was more like 'wtf, Sakurai has completely gone back on his word, this opens up a whole new realm of possibilities' (*COUGH*Ridley*COUGH*) rather than 'wtf I genuinely didnt see this coming'.
I'm fairly certain that is why Villager would be considered the second surprise character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm fairly certain that is why Villager would be considered the second surprise character.
But that's not really a surprise character in a traditional sense like Mr. Game and Watch, or Wii Fit Trainer. Villager is only a 'surprise' character in the context of online Smash communities like our own, because we had the foreknowledge of reading through Sakurai's interviews/development journals and picking them apart word-for-word. Nobody but the hardcore Smash community could really have been that surprised by Villager's inclusion, so I don't really think that justifies calling him a 'wtf character' like Melee have had.

Of course having said that, the concept of a 'wtf character' is something we as a community invented in the first place. Mr. Game and Watch was a 'wtf character' in some sense but Brawl didn't really have a surprise character (R.O.B. was a logical choice from the beginning, showed up in MK:DS, important to Nintendo's history etc.), and SSB64's closest thing to a surprise character was Ness, who had a big cult following. Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer are the only characters that could really be considered surprises in the sense that nobody expected the inclusion of either - characters like Villager are just characters who have been deemed unlikely by our own community (which, by its very nature, sometimes causes problems - remember when a good portion of the community thought Geno was a shoe-in character for Brawl? Our expectations are often way off).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Most of the smash fans I knew in real life were actually expecting Villager (or some sort of Animal Crossing character). He's only WTF to us because we clung onto a statement that was made six years ago.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
But that's not really a surprise character in a traditional sense like Mr. Game and Watch, or Wii Fit Trainer. Villager is only a 'surprise' character in the context of online Smash communities like our own, because we had the foreknowledge of reading through Sakurai's interviews/development journals and picking them apart word-for-word. Nobody but the hardcore Smash community could really have been that surprised by Villager's inclusion, so I don't really think that justifies calling him a 'wtf character' like Melee have had.

Of course having said that, the concept of a 'wtf character' is something we as a community invented in the first place. Mr. Game and Watch was a 'wtf character' in some sense but Brawl didn't really have a surprise character (R.O.B. was a logical choice from the beginning, showed up in MK:DS, important to Nintendo's history etc.), and SSB64's closest thing to a surprise character was Ness, who had a big cult following. Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer are the only characters that could really be considered surprises in the sense that nobody expected the inclusion of either - characters like Villager are just characters who have been deemed unlikely by our own community (which, by its very nature, sometimes causes problems - remember when a good portion of the community thought Geno was a shoe-in character for Brawl? Our expectations are often way off).
Don't forget about Snake. I for one didn't expect him as he was the first 3rd party character to ever be confirmed in the series. TBH, I didn't even know what Metal Gear Solid was back then :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pokemon Trainer was another WTF character as was Zero Suit Samus.

NO ONE saw them coming.

Villager was at least predicted by a fair amount of people.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer was another WTF character as was Zero Suit Samus.

NO ONE saw them coming.

Villager was at least predicted by a fair amount of people.
Pokemon Trainer Red showed up in the Melee polls didn't he (as did Charizard)? And I remember a fair few threads about Pokemon Trainer from way-back-when on the Nintendo Nsider Forums - the real surprise of Pokemon Trainer was how his character mechanic worked, not his inclusion itself. Again, it was more a case of us as the more dedicated Smash fans considering Pokemon Trainer unlikely, because I sure remember many a person suggesting that a human Pokemon character be playable, usually only to get laughed out of town by other people and never bring the idea up again (mostly because said thread-starters would mix up Ash Ketchum and Red in 'filthy casual' fashion).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was rooting for Pokemon Trainer back in the Brawl days. But it was more like him using Trainer moves instead of other Pokemon. (I liked the result even more)

But as you might guess, most of my supported characters are potential WTFs to most people here, lol.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
From what games are Hitoshi, Satoru and the Marvelous Heroes from? Also hey Golden, it's me, from the PTE group from Facebook. :p

D

Deleted member

Hey M.

Hioshi and Satoru are from the Card Hero series and the Marvelous Heroes are from Marvelous: The Unexpected Journey.

Top Bottom