• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Smash 4 Mod Proposal] The Great Character Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoopy

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm Smoopy. I'm no one in the Smash community, but some people may recognize me as a Minecraft modder better known as Taklok. I come to you today with an idea.

This idea is the Great Character Revival. As many people should know by now, many veterans from Brawl were cut in Smash 4 for any number of reasons. I would like to put together a small, dedicated team to rectify this. Not only do I want to revive veterans like Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Snake, but I would also like to give characters that haven't gotten their chance, but also deserve one, characters such as King K. Rool, Isaac, or any other of Nintendo's huge All Stars.

This being said, I recognize that this is a huge task. That goes without saying, especially considering there haven't been too many breakthroughs in the Wii U modding community, let alone Smash 4 Wii U, for obvious reasons. So here are our goals and alternatives should the initial goal not work out:

1.) Find a way to add new characters and costumes to Smash 4 on the Wii U. This is vital to the project, as it is kind of the idea. If this fails, then the project will likely become an alternate version or fork of Project M to the best of our abilities.

2.) We will not alter gameplay, at least not until the meta actually starts developing. This mod is solely to add to the flavor, not change it.

3.) Ensure a balanced character when they are added, not afterwards. If there is a bug or oversight with a character however, it will be fixed.

4.) Create an equal representation of franchises. This last point is subjective. Some people say that Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem currently have too much representation. I don't see this as the case. While a franchise may have many good characters that would fit a roster, if only a handful are picked, it's not represented well enough in my opinion. However at the same time, some characters weigh less than others.

These are my goals. As time passes, goals can be added or removed as they need to be.

All this being said, as much as I want to return old characters, I do not want to step on Nintendo's toes. Should a character be added in as DLC, they shall promptly be removed from the mod, no ifs, ands, or buts.

As stated before, this is a massive project, and I will need quite a number of experienced and dedicated programmers, artists, modelers, and animators on my team. If you would be interested in contributing, please send me a message and we can talk.

I hope to be able to report back with progress as soon as I can.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
This thread is full of nearly uncontrollable levels of ignorance.

Lemme guess, you have absolutely no experience with this kind of thing?

Yes? Okay, please stop.

To clarify, there is a huge difference between what you are proposing, and modding Minecraft.

Last edited:

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
Great, the "Let's mod my waifu into Smash" threads have appeared.

Smoopy

Smash Rookie
There's only one problem, Wii U doesn't have mod support and likely won't for a long time.
I recognize this, and this is one of my hopes for the project as I said. If we can do this, I would want to make it available for anyone to do.

This thread is full of nearly uncontrollable levels of ignorance.

Lemme guess, you have absolutely no experience with this kind of thing?

Yes? Okay, please stop.

To clarify, there is a huge difference between what you are proposing, and modding Minecraft.
Great, the "Let's mod my waifu into Smash" threads have appeared.
These are attitudes I don't like. I know 100% of the holes in my post. I know the obstacles. I know this is much, MUCH different than Minecraft. The only ignorance in this thread right now is right here.

As for modding in my "waifu." It's no wonder no one actually attempts this stuff judging by the negativity I'm receiving. I don't want to do this to mod in characters only I want to see in. It's not so I can just have my way in what goes in the new Smash.

This is supposed to be something fun, solely because I want to put the effort in even ATTEMPTING this. This isn't for anyone's waifu.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I see the proposals intentions. They are right and wrong. Characters like Wolf and Lucas should be added back, but you shouldn't have new characters just plopped in. That doesn't seem right. You could, however, give out your method of adding characters, so that a modder could add more characters, if they so felt like it. Let's say that the PMBR decides to make a Project 3DM and ProjectWiiM. They would add characters like Roy, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Lucas back in the game. Modpacks that bring expansions, tends to want to use their own PSAs, for characters, which would mean they throw your work out the window. Additionaly, there is K.Rool, which they wouldn't want in initially, so they have a sitting slot. Plus the only known ways off adding Brawl characters was through cloning. It's safe to say that SSB43DS, uses that same brawl engine, but heavily edited. Meaning the Clone engine still works. Adding Mewtow, possible. Adding Roy, possible. Adding Wolf, possible, Adding Lucas, possible. Adding King K.Rool, near impossible. It's way to much work, for it to be thrown out the window by a would-be-popular modpack. I like the concept of reviving characters, but not adding characters. You should contact Smealum, he's already hacked 3DS cartridges. He was the guy to initially leak Diancie, Volcanion, and Hoopa. If this does go through, I'd love to help.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I see the proposals intentions. They are right and wrong. Characters like Wolf and Lucas should be added back, but you shouldn't have new characters just plopped in. That doesn't seem right. You could, however, give out your method of adding characters, so that a modder could add more characters, if they so felt like it. Let's say that the PMBR decides to make a Project 3DM and ProjectWiiM. They would add characters like Roy, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Lucas back in the game. Modpacks that bring expansions, tends to want to use their own PSAs, for characters, which would mean they throw your work out the window. Additionaly, there is K.Rool, which they wouldn't want in initially, so they have a sitting slot. Plus the only known ways off adding Brawl characters was through cloning. It's safe to say that SSB43DS, uses that same brawl engine, but heavily edited. Meaning the Clone engine still works. Adding Mewtow, possible. Adding Roy, possible. Adding Wolf, possible, Adding Lucas, possible. Adding King K.Rool, near impossible. It's way to much work, for it to be thrown out the window by a would-be-popular modpack. I like the concept of reviving characters, but not adding characters. You should contact Smealum, he's already hacked 3DS cartridges. He was the guy to initially leak Diancie, Volcanion, and Hoopa. If this does go through, I'd love to help.
Being able to hack memory addresses (which is what smealum did, and his method requires hardware mods) is completely different from reverse engineering entire file formats, then finding a way to inject the new files back into the game. You can't even begin to imagine how much it work it took to get Brawl to the level of hackability it has.

It is not safe to say that Smash 3ds uses the same engine. At all. No 3ds games have used engines ported from Wii games AFAIK. And Smash 4 uses 7.X encryption on the RomFS which no one has been able to crack thus far, so we still have no idea how the game is structured whatsoever.

I recognize this, and this is one of my hopes for the project as I said. If we can do this, I would want to make it available for anyone to do.

These are attitudes I don't like. I know 100% of the holes in my post. I know the obstacles. I know this is much, MUCH different than Minecraft. The only ignorance in this thread right now is right here.

As for modding in my "waifu." It's no wonder no one actually attempts this stuff judging by the negativity I'm receiving. I don't want to do this to mod in characters only I want to see in. It's not so I can just have my way in what goes in the new Smash.

This is supposed to be something fun, solely because I want to put the effort in even ATTEMPTING this. This isn't for anyone's waifu.

And Smoopy, I apologize for the way I came across, it's just that so many people think that hacking games like this is magic. That coincidentally is why I stopped modding Brawl years ago. There are so many assumptions and so much misinformation associated with this kind of thing. The odds of us even finding a way to inject new files into RAM are astronomically low. I wish you luck if we make any progress on that in the next like, hundred years or so.

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Wait for the Wii U version, as it will probably have more characters, and you don't want to spend weeks modding Ice Climbers into the game only for them to be included in the Wii U version [If you wanna know what I'm talking about go to the youtube channel in my signature and look at the newest video]

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Wait for the Wii U version, as it will probably have more characters, and you don't want to spend weeks modding Ice Climbers into the game only for them to be included in the Wii U version [If you wanna know what I'm talking about go to the youtube channel in my signature and look at the newest video]
Sakurai said ther Roster would be the same on both versions.

Smoopy

Smash Rookie
If we were to figure it out, I would 100% want to release the information and an accessible way to add characters into the game to the public. As for adding new characters, we'll see how this goes. I by no means want this to be Project M: Smash 4 Edition, but rather Smash 4+: Turbo Edition, if that makes sense.

Contacting Smealum... That's a really good idea. I'll get on that.

Being able to hack memory addresses (which is what smealum did, and his method requires hardware mods) is completely different from reverse engineering entire file formats, then finding a way to inject the new files back into the game. You can't even begin to imagine how much it work it took to get Brawl to the level of hackability it has.

It is not safe to say that Smash 3ds uses the same engine. At all. No 3ds games have used engines ported from Wii games AFAIK. And Smash 4 uses 7.X encryption on the RomFS which no one has been able to crack thus far, so we still have no idea how the game is structured whatsoever.

And Smoopy, I apologize for the way I came across, it's just that so many people think that hacking games like this is magic. That coincidentally is why I stopped modding Brawl years ago. There are so many assumptions and so much misinformation associated with this kind of thing. The odds of us even finding a way to inject new files into RAM are astronomically low. I wish you luck if we make any progress on that in the next like, hundred years or so.

It's completely okay, and I do understand. A lot of people do just assume this stuff happens, when this isn't the case. I wasn't having the best day, so I got a bit more heated than I should have. That being said, until Smash 4 is released and I can hunt down some people interested in developing this, I'm moving my efforts into a different Smash related project that should either prove the need for THIS mod obsolete, or only make me want to do it more. We'll see.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
No, I don't doubt Ridley because of size. I doubt Ridley will get in because of the fact that another Metroid represenative is unnesecary, until we get a new metroid game. Ridley would bot have a very unique moveset, and would be a flying character, meaning it cannot be very balanced. Ridley was a boss in SSBB already, so I doubt it will ever be playable, but enough with this, it is moving away from the actual intentions of the thread.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
No, I don't doubt Ridley because of size. I doubt Ridley will get in because of the fact that another Metroid represenative is unnesecary, until we get a new metroid game. Ridley would bot have a very unique moveset, and would be a flying character, meaning it cannot be very balanced. Ridley was a boss in SSBB already, so I doubt it will ever be playable, but enough with this, it is moving away from the actual intentions of the thread.
Metroid is a big seires, so it dose deserve more representation. Look at his moveset in Smash Bros Crusade, its unique, and thats just what fans came up with, not even a proffesinal standard. Pit, Kirby and Jigglypuff are flying characters, and again, Crusade. Little Mac got promoted from Brawl, so why can't Ridley?

My god... He was small in the origanal Metroid. [And don't bring that ''data limitations'' stuff as thats the same reason Bowser was small and hes that size in smash]

Last edited:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Let shoot off my main concerns.
  1. What is the point of mod besides adding characters? I'd like to know.
  2. This can be done with DLC. You did say something about cutting off the DLC characters, (if they ever come out anyways) would you really cut the model entirely in favor of a balanced roster?
  3. Smash Bros Mods are an entirely new ball game together, Minecraft modding will not help you.
  4. This post is overall poorly done. :c

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Let shoot off my main concerns.
  1. What is the point of mod besides adding characters? I'd like to know.
  2. This can be done with DLC. You did say something about cutting off the DLC characters, (if they ever come out anyways) would you really cut the model entirely in favor of a balanced roster?
  3. Smash Bros Mods are an entirely new ball game together, Minecraft modding will not help you.
  4. This post is overall poorly done. :c
Tell me sir, how is it poorly done? If you don't want part of this, then backout. If we can find out how to add characters, we can learn other things as well

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Tell me sir, how is it poorly done? If you don't want part of this, then backout. If we can find out how to add characters, we can learn other things as well
I really agree with you on that, but would you really hack the game for characters?

Smoopy

Smash Rookie
I really agree with you on that, but would you really hack the game for characters?
Yes. As you said above, it COULD be done with DLC. In reality though, we have absolutely no evidence for DLC, it's just a dream by the community. Could it happen? Sure. Will it though? Likely not, and if it does, it won't be for awhile. I mean, look at how long it took to announce DLC for Mario Kart 8.

I'll put it this way- There's more evidence for the inclusion of Ridley then there is right now for DLC, and Ridley didn't even happen.

Again, will I make a mod to add characters? Yes. The point of a mod is to modify a base game to however the mod creator would like, yes? It's supposed to be a bit of fun. That's it. Additionally, as stated above, if characters are figured out, then who knows what else would be figured out in the process?

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I salute u for this idea. May I request for more FD Stages n costumes..lots of costumes

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
For the modding, since its gonna be hard to do it, I suggest starting with just costumes as it would be easier

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
First you gotta crack the 3ds 7.X encryption.

Any idea how to do that?

No? Well, that sucks.
Calm down man, first we have to contact Smealum. The Rom has already been hacked to look at the textures.. We need textures and the models, so we can make our own based on the sizes of them. Getting the hack, like you said will be hard, but Smea is already working hard on it.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Last edited:

RootInfernal

Smash Rookie
5 team members- 5 Favorite Characters, I'll shift it over to the Wii U version to stay consistent though. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Smoopy

Smash Rookie
5 team members- 5 Favorite Characters, I'll shift it over to the Wii U version to stay consistent though. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
What are you talking about? Did my thread get hijacked?

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
What about Mario Kart 8 texture hacks?
And who aside from Mr. Bean is capable of actually doing such?

Aside from that, there's also the fact that since the Wii U can be patched and has been patched at a considerably faster rate than the Wii, any exploits that would be used to launch the loader for the mods in the first place would quickly be restricted to systems with out-of-date firmware. It's a cat-and-mouse chase that practically no hacker wants to invest time in this time.

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
It'll be fun to see what happens from this to be honest. Hopefully it's not the obvious thing though, since that's well, obvious.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
lots and lots of costumes. Though the point is pretty much Brawl Ex 3d edition
Along side more FD modes, can you make a mode to like, have the platform layout stay the same, but remove stage hazards? Cause those Flying Men on Magicant are way to OP.

Smoopy

Smash Rookie
Along side more FD modes, can you make a mode to like, have the platform layout stay the same, but remove stage hazards? Cause those Flying Men on Magicant are way to OP.
We can see. It's certainly something that I want to do.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
We could do that, but righrt now the focus is characters, of course when we start. It may take a LONG time, but the smash modding community is never overrun from time because there's only a release every 5-7 years. Now with that 7,7 encryptiin whatnot, we now have to worry about the new update with breaking through that. Everything will happen in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom