• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& Smash 4. Miles Warehouse II 2-4 Jan - Pre-register by the 30th please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muscat

Smash Rookie
Yeah that sound like it. I'm not in any particular need of it atm so i'm fine either waiting till ButtonSmash/BAM7 to pick it up, or you can post it and tell me how much you'll need for postage etc.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that sound like it. I'm not in any particular need of it atm so i'm fine either waiting till ButtonSmash/BAM7 to pick it up, or you can post it and tell me how much you'll need for postage etc.
I'll post it to you. PM me your address and I'll send it. Sorry I accidentally stole it!

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Super late, but I have to do it otherwise I'll keep feeling guilty about not doing it! (I doubt anyone will read so I'm tagging you all!)

@ Jei Jei Jei Jei : Was kinda suspicious about you not entering some events, but then I realised how crazy it was to play 4 consecutive events. My brain turned inside out at one point, it was nuts. You coming to SS6? We could finally team in both Melee and PM if you're up for it (please say yes). Thanks for organising Smash4 3v3, it is super fun and I'd totally play it again.

@ Jamwa Jamwa : I sucked, I'll try to do better next time. PM is the ****, so I'll keep playing it. Did you see anyone counterpicking Skyworld? (apart from yourself) I have not played on it at all during the tourney.

@Nikes : I really enjoyed our set we played, sooo close. It was really intense and despite having a fairly good MU experience against Yoshi, I was on tilt for a lot of the time. Would like to play against you again. Also congrats on your 3rd place on smash4, I have a lot of respect for players being good at multiple smash games.

@ AIU_PooP AIU_PooP : Thanks for the shoutouts dude. I like playing against Marth.

@ FinXx FinXx : It was a weird set, I felt that you were underplaying and could've done a lot better. Hopefully the next time we meet we'd be playing better or more flashier, like our friendlies at PCGs!

@Mytus : Was a fun set, and yes others have asked the same question you did. Why not play Marth? Well I tried and I just can't. I simply do not understand how to play him, and I can't be creative and fluid, feels very foreign.

@ Redact Redact : I sucked, I'll try to do better next time. Melee is the ****, so I'll keep playing it. Also found it odd that my sister's speakers were the only ones available on Sunday. I did try to find the charger that day but I failed. My bad...

@Noxus : They put us in some death pool or something because you came 4th in it? I'd have to beat you and well I couldn't because you're good against Falcon. I enjoy playing against your Samus, I'll even admit that I'm even more campier than you at times lol.

@ Hobs_ Hobs_ : Okay dude, I was kinda messing around when I used Zelda in pools (was testing my secondaries), but apart from that I'm not messing around, or disrespecting lol, it's just how I play sometimes. Btw I really enjoyed playing our set.

@Splice : G&W's lingering disjointed hitboxes are hard to deal with for me, but I'll try not to choke as much next time we meet.

@MGK : Such a brutal set, did not imagine our games would be so fun.

@dreadtech : I've never played against Toon Link, it was a good experience. Dealing with bombs and the disjointed dair was all new to me. It felt kinda even at the start and then you kinda fell apart after some point. I hope our matches will be even more intense the next time we meet. Lastly, we forget about our MM, though my soul was crushed after my lost in PM top8 so I wouldn't be really into to it at that point.

@Hardpelicn : Haven't played against you for a long time, and I must say you're really good, so good that I became almost empty minded during our set. I knew I was losing but I had no idea what to do, was detined to lose. Thanks so much for the uploads/ re-streams, I re-watched our set and realised I didn't do as bad as I initially thought, and figured out it was my negative mindset playing an impact of how I felt about our set.

@Juci : I really enjoyed our close set, even though I felt that we were both underplaying a bit, I think our set at SSV was more intense but I might be wrong though.

Tommy: I wasn't brave enough to go Ganon the whole set, but I had fun in our set.

@RussellTLM : Did not know our match was in semis, I would have loved to play Bo5 for more experience. (You're better than me so I'm not upset or anything.)

@Attila_ : I completely agree with statement 4, which is the lack of communication. I didn't get much details for Melee Amateurs, so I had no idea it was single elimination until I actually lost against Russell, and then when I finally looked up the results on smashboards did I realise I made it to semis and came equal 3rd so I missed out on a Bo5 set.

I also did not know of any headsets being provided for smash4. I saw two people using on late Saturday and quickly assumed it was borrowed from the commentating setup.

Lastly, congrats on your win against Skeletom, it was really weird watching it, I didn't know how to respond.

Smash4 3v3 people I played with: I have to apologise for acting a lil strange, my morale was down after my lost in PM top 8 so I had some of the negatively slip out, but I must say the 3v3 were really fun and I would like to play it again if this becomes a thing.
@Villyness (V) for getting revenge from last time, slingshots hurt...
Deez whoopin me for being a SOB Falcon Punching teammate last time. I see you
@Leisha for providing stickers, gimping my noob predictable Lucina in 3v3, and providing a fun filled 3v3 set (sorry I forgot your teammates, shoutouts to them also!)

Other shoutouts:

I heard people talking about Brawl Minus? Shoutouts to those people. Brawl Minus is stupidly fun, would play at a tourney.

@phrase I didn't get to play/chat to you at the tourney but congrats on winning amateurs.

@ Dekar289 Dekar289 for giving me some morale boost for my PM top8 match, before I quickly lost it all, sorry. :/

@Fudge9 for being so awesome with Roy, I didn't didn't play as much PM Roy as of lately and wanting to change that. Roy's our boy.

@Dyl9 Did you shake your head in disappointment seeing me roll into that Upsmash, I think I did too. Apparently a few others saw and reacted the same way, yeah I know, I should have done better. I'll try harder I promise!

The Peach main I played heaps of friendlies with. Admittedly I was tired and playing sloppy at the end, but fun times regardless.

People who gave free pizza: Thanks heaps! I went ahead and bought some for myself the next day, it was the best. Shoutouts to Sydney Rd pizza.

@ PrettyCoolGuy PrettyCoolGuy & @milestaf For organising this event. I think it was a bit too overboard with the expected number of matches to be played when entering 4 events + amateurs, it really burned me out, but other then that it was a great tourney. Damned weather can't be helped though, thank goodness we got a good venue.

@ Cronos_Rainbow Cronos_Rainbow : Shaz, thanks so much for making the extra effort finding me for some Roy matches and tips. If you're reading this, please know that I'm still curious to learn about the history of the Aussie smash scene.

To everybody I played/talked to that's not mentioned: There's too many people to remember, so sorry... =d

@Basty : Lol how did you get banned from twitch channel?

To anyone that might care: I don't feel that much difference conversing with Melee, PM, or Smash4 players, so I do not understand this 'divide in the community' some smashers seem to speak of. I am probably just noob, or really naive, because I see myself simply as a smasher, like how I see everybody else. It doesn't seem like smashers are anything like the BS YT comments,twitch chat, reddit/smashboards posts I usually see. Everyone is so chill, cool, and friendly, and I'm proud to be apart of this community.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Shaz, thanks so much for making the extra effort finding me for some Roy matches and tips. If you're reading this, please know that I'm still curious to learn about the history of the Aussie smash scene.
No worries buddy. Sorry I couldn't do the things I was talking about, but hopefully you get the idea. For some reason when I try go back to Melee I can either play Fox or everyone else decently on the day - that just seemed to be a Fox day. What kind of history to the Smash scene were you interested in knowing? I'll answer as best I can.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
No worries buddy. Sorry I couldn't do the things I was talking about, but hopefully you get the idea. For some reason when I try go back to Melee I can either play Fox or everyone else decently on the day - that just seemed to be a Fox day. What kind of history to the Smash scene were you interested in knowing? I'll answer as best I can.
I couldn't play Roy properly on that particular day either, but having two Roys DED each other was funny as hell. Good times...

Idk anything about smash history, as I'm new the the scene. I'm curious to know anything!
  • Information about the old school aussie smash communities (state and/or region), the rivalries, top players and their respective mains, and their dominance etc... (did you really win with Roy?)
  • Australian connections with other international communities, how tournaments ran and how they differ compared to today's ones.
  • Trends of top picked chars (right now it's 20XX Fox)
  • Brawl's emergence, and how (if it did) it changed the scene.
  • Possibly expand, or correct on anything presented in your Wiki (lol)
  • Anymore info that's old school, Shaz, or Roy related.
I feel like there's too many questions, so much that we might have to do hire Samox and do a full interview lol, so it's not required for you to answer everything, but you kinda get the idea of what I want to hear, which really is everything.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Your Roy is pretty decent - keep at it! :)

I have to get ready for work, so I'll answer properly later rather than a quick and dirty. LOL at my Wiki btw - that's a funny story I'll explain after xD

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I couldn't play Roy properly on that particular day either, but having two Roys DED each other was funny as hell. Good times...

Idk anything about smash history, as I'm new the the scene. I'm curious to know anything!
  • Information about the old school aussie smash communities (state and/or region), the rivalries, top players and their respective mains, and their dominance etc... (did you really win with Roy?)
  • Australian connections with other international communities, how tournaments ran and how they differ compared to today's ones.
  • Trends of top picked chars (right now it's 20XX Fox)
  • Brawl's emergence, and how (if it did) it changed the scene.
  • Possibly expand, or correct on anything presented in your Wiki (lol)
  • Anymore info that's old school, Shaz, or Roy related.
I feel like there's too many questions, so much that we might have to do hire Samox and do a full interview lol, so it's not required for you to answer everything, but you kinda get the idea of what I want to hear, which really is everything.
Do you really want to know all of that? Just play melee dude.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I dominated Qld
Cao dominated Vic
no other scenes existed..
There were no rivalries
Top players then are top players now if they are still playing
Tourneys run the same, only new thing is amateur brackets.
It was always Fox
dont talk about brawl
roy was not our boy until 09-2k10
Toai is the tech god.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Juci is the tech god

have you been to a tournament in the past 20 years have you not met this prodigy?

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
You want smash history?

Here it comes

As I sit down to write about one of my oldest friends, I feel both a sense of joy and remorse for times gone-by. Joy, the joy of sharing experiences with the very founder of friendship, the man with whom all peoples are considered a friend. And remorse, remorse that somewhere in my mind I know that one day Dekar will die the vicious and gruelling death that has been prophesised for over a thousand years. Dekar is the definitive God amongst men; wise beyond his years, strong, intelligent, clerical and with eyes that shoot lasers. Whether sharing a bite to eat at the local café or climbing Mount Everest with his eye-lids Dekar has always stood by me, (more literally so when I lost my leg and Dekar spent 9 years as a substitute without any complaints). This retelling of Smash is but one mans tribute to Dekar and the facts herein should be taken as merely a taste of what Dekar has brought to this world, so as they say, the Dekar must go on! - Syneiko (1872-1918, died from mustard gas in the siege of La Toure).

I’m not going to lie. I was born a Jigglypuff player and thus I led a life that was full of hardship, inferiority and vicious sodomy. It was not until I met Dekar, crossing the Gobi Desert with Chi Qin Falong, the Emperor of Manchuria as his concubine, that I was truly reborn as a follower of all that is Dekar. I remember it like yesterday! His long striding steps, large masculine biceps and decidedly un-Jewish nose caught my attention immediately and turned my life around. No longer was I afflicted by that foul disease known as Jigglypuff! For this reason my life became Dekar or as Dekar put it in his favourite dialect (binary): “01001011 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100111 01100111 01101111 01110100 01110011”. Since this is only the introduction to this epic history of Dekar I’ll try to keep it brief. By far my best memory of Dekar was our trip into dark Africa where Dekar invented the Nintendo Gamecube, Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube and the Television. This adventure was more recently plagiarised by Joseph Conrad in his Heart of Darkness, where it is quite clear every character in the book is based upon Dekar himself. Dekar’s invention of friendship was also another highlight of our adventures. But there is much to cover so without further ado I will leave you with one of my favourite Dekarinese quotes: “Great shot, Dekar! One in a million!”- Sprattmann (1982-403BC, died on one of Dekar’s many time travel adventures).

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Alright, the god of all Aus Melee background posts I will ever bother to write. From my perspective, of course, as it's hard to speak for other players. Here goes nothing:

So I played Melee with some school friends when it released. One became heavily involved in it (Jon/Sabreant his name is), others played more casually. Anyway, I met Emily (Smash-gurl I think was her first screen-name) on these boards, and her and her friend Cella visited my place and we played some Melee. Jon wasn't there, but another friend was. Anyway, they were both good, and Emily was wavedashing and such with Falco, and beating us at first. Dale said to her "Careful, Shaz is like Goku. He will just keep getting his ass kicked until in the end he wins". Emily kind of laughed it off and said she'd like to see that. Surely enough though, it happened, and I started beating her with Fox. She got super upset and decided to sit with her face up against the wall until her mum picked her up. That's how our little click started.

Fast forward and we (Jon, Emily, Cella - whom I'd started dating - and myself) go over to have a tournament (Eastern Invasion) in Perth at Josh/Quetzalcoatl's place with those guys (Mic128, Cubed, Bringer, Kenton and Bryce iirc.). At that point I think for the most part we were for the most part more technically sound than all except Quetzalcoatl, who was already starting to have some nice moves with Peach. We had our little tournament, and basically Emily made Bryce, who is Kenton's younger bro cry (lol poor kid), and Jon and I met our match in Ryan/BringerofDeath and Kenton respectively. They really cleverly used the stages to their advantages - Ryan taking Jon to Pokemon Stadium's little cramped places and abusing him, and Kenton taking me to whatever the DK stage is with the barrel and picking his times to cape (he played Doc). That was really awesome of them and opened our eyes to how strong stage advantage could be (more stages were legal back then don't forget). I can't recall how Cella went out to be honest, but in the end it came down to Emily and Josh. They played a couple of games, Emily winning on some smaller stages, and Josh winning on FD and another larger stage. The decider Jon and I insisted was played on FD because it was the 'last stage'. Emily disagreed because she knew it wasn't to her favour at that point, but we overruled her and sure enough she lost. She hated us for ages for that lol. So yeah, good times were had - new friends were made - and we all decided to do it again in the future.

Through events like the Nintendo Super Challenge and other little tournaments and meetups, the scene here grew. Jon was playing Falcon and Samus, Emily Falco and Sheik, Cella exclusively Marth, earning herself the nickname 'tip-*****', and myself playing Fox and Falco, though I'd picked up Marth as Cella loved Marth ditto, and Doc because why not and her bro played him too so was fun. Anyway, we met some others through that, such as David/Caotic and Cats/Kyattsu as well as some others, many of which don't really play these days. We had some weird little tournaments, such as at this one game store that we kept going to and winning all their tourneys until we were told not to come back LOL. I remember Emily beating me in a timed match sudden death on Poke-floats - I shined her then started charging an f-smash. She teched and rolled back in then shined me (as Falco) before my f-smash connected - outplayed! Emily also lost to some unknown Fox guy at that place (not sure if it was the same event tbh), which we gave her **** for. He stuck around in the scene for a good while with his cousin - they were JM and Eric. One of the things I won from that place was Fire Emblem. I already thought Roy was cool, but that kindled my love of that series (<3 Lyndis!).

We decided we would have a bigger tournament here in Melbourne and invite the Perth guys and people from around Australia, many of which had made their way to these boards, so KO and I made @M. We invited Ryota/Captain Jack over from Japan, with Emily and I paying his way over here and putting him up. He taught me some cool stuff, like walljumping into illusion/phantasm on the edge. The tournament was pretty huge (particularly for that period of time), and we held it at Melbourne Uni. I told Ryota I was going to rig the bracket so I faced him first of the better players, and he had no complaints lol. My mistake - surely enough I lost to his godly Bowser and Isai-inspired Captain Falcon. He went on to beat Quetzalcoatl, Emily, and everyone else out to take the tourney. Many of us met people from the other states, and the national awareness grew!

After that, more tournaments started popping up not just in Melbourne, but nationally. Some people traveled between them, and the scene expanded everywhere. Internationally things were getting much bigger too, with Ryota having gone to the US to compete earlier, the international scene was becoming a big thing. Emily had Bobby around (can't recall his screen-name for the life of me), who was a cool guy, and then she went to the US and competed in one of their decently sized tournaments. She repped herself and Australia really well. She played Sheik over Falco for the most part by then, and beat some fairly well known players. She also got a lot of attention for being a girl who could hold her own against most players there. I still think Emily has to have been the most prominent female Smash player small unknown nation notwithstanding - sorry Lil lol.

In Victoria we had a number of events, such as monthlies, meetups, etc. Caotic ran tournaments such as the SEAT series, Comrades etc, and we got new players here making themselves known, such as Freddo, who went on to be a pretty dominant force. We got talent coming from other states, WA of course, QLD eg. King Kong, Syke, Scrubs iirc NSW eg. Jazz, SA eg. Dave, TAS eg. Sloth, and many of them proved capable of putting up a good fight. For the most part tournaments were made up of Emily winning and me forfeiting whenever I had to vs her (young guy/girl issues - don't ask lol). We done some state crews at these events, and Vic was for the state to beat for a long time. At one point (SEAT 2) I actually did vs Emily rather than forfeit. It came to the last game last stock on FD and I lost. Another time she outplayed me lol. I played KO(Caotic) next, and he took me to the stage he knew I hated (Yoshi's) and done some wtf bs I didn't know he could do as Peach. He'd always been some "I want to be like Emily sensei!" scrub, but somehow he'd gotten good and I'd not taken him seriously at all! That was the first time he beat me at a tournament, and he made it at a big one I'd already lost to Emily at lol - thanks KO! Also Bringer and I made an awesome team at SEAT 2 and I will never forget how fun that was :)

Somewhere along the line there Cella and I went to Japan for Ryota's Jack Garden tournament. We, along with Unknown Force, Isai and Ken were the internationals for said tourney. God - the Japanese were insane! As Ken said then and I believe again on the Smash documentary: the average Japanese were like the good players in the US. They played unknown characters to high success too, like Kirby, Yoshi, Luigi etc. I did particularly well there. I remember Ken coming to sit with us after Isai lost and saying "What? So that's it? Just me left already?", then Kyle (Unknown Force) and Cella telling him I was still in the winners bracket. His reply "What!? Shaz of all people!" I lost to this Luigi player who was absolutely amazing (Japanese name though so unlike Thunders nobody had heard of him), and then later to Ryota, who was beginning to make a habit of beating me at tournaments, after he lost to Bomb Soldier. That Luigi guy knocked me out of winners just before I got to have my dream of facing Masashi (played Fox and Roy and was quite famous for them) in winners. I had my Roy set with Masashi there at Ryota's house, wihch was super close. Masashi couldn't really speak English, but when we were done he shook my hand and said "good" indicating both of us and smiling, and getting Shaka to translate and tell me that we were both good Roy players and we should be proud lol. Those guys (Shaka, Masashi, Aniki, Shino (who taught me Shino stalling), Thunders, Mikaeru, Ikki, S-Royal etc.) were awesome :D. Also Cella and I beat Ken and Isai in a set of teams at Ryota's house. Even though it was just for fun, I was proud of us for that lol.

KO went to the US, and for a while the tourneys slowed down here, mainly being interstate, or run by fighting game communities by people like Zantetsuken. I went to the US and stayed with KO (Caotic), where we entered both OC2 and MLG Orlando. KO had vastly improved, and unlike me, was very used to the NTSC differences. I played Roy for the most part at OC2, beating a lot of people who were clear faves over me. I met some cool low-tier players (Simna i believe who played Ness, and this guy who was a Smashboards mod who played Kirby really well). KO placed better than me at OC2, playing really well, and we got some free stuff and 'sponsorship' from MLG for our performance in teams, where we did quite well, losing to Mike G and DA Dave. I played some friendlies with Mike G later and beat him with Fox (he played Peach and inspired Emily to pick her up when she met him earlier). He said he was glad he didn't face me in singles, and that he understands how Emily was so good having me as a rival. He was a really friendly guy, and I couldn't hate him and Dave for blaster/turnip camping Corneria's tail in teams LOL. I also met Killaor, who was such a cool, fun, friendly guy, and of course spent time with Ryota (he went for OC2) and Ken and his friends and family, Kaiser and PC Chris (fun guys, and they taught me some stuff like wavedash landing on Yoshi's from edge with Fox).

I decided to run SEAT 3 in KO's absence, though I'm not entirely sure if it was before or after going to the US.I just ran it at my place to save on venue fees bumping up entry. Anyway, basically I clean swept the thing, didn't forfeit, and took first in all events (singles, teams, crews, low tier) and Emily went and did her angsty Sasuke trick. Sloth put up a hell of a fight for me though in both singles and low tier (I was playing a lot of Roy by then). He placed second in both iirc. At this event I also attempted to do a Falcon u-air irl. You can't be the Falcon - no-one can be the Falcon! Cats/Kyattsu started calling that tournament THEFT rather than SEAT3 - which he said stood for Take His Entitled Funds Tournament. I felt SO guilty for that and started passing on winnings, only requesting entry fees returned to me from then on lol.

Emily dropped out almost completely some time after that, though she was beating KO quite frequently before she did. She had gotten right into her raiding stuffs in WoW, only coming back here and there (but still beating most people despite their boasts they could beat her now lol). KO had come back from the US massively powered up, pretty much consistently beating everyone except for me and Emily, and occasionally losing to Freddo (here in Vic at least). I'd all but switched exclusively to Roy, though people requested my Fox very often. I'd have to switch to Fox if I wanted to beat KO, and even then it was hard at first. When I worked out his weakness though I started playing random at tournaments, taking whoever it gave me as my character for the event (other than Yoshi and Peach- I couldn't play them for beans). I won with some pretty stupid characters, and came second with Mewtwo, losing to KO, and Freddo remembers all too well beating my Mario in a tight one once lol.

Ken came somewhere around here to a major we held in Melbourne (can't recall if it was before or after Adelaide (next), but I had decided it would be the last major I'd bother with. I mostly played Fox (everyone was asking for it from me anyway), and decided my goal was to win my way through winners undefeated and face Ken, who of course was also seeded. I NEARLY failed at that, MarkArse taking a game off me on DK64 with black Doc on a ****ty tv you couldn't see anything on. I SD'd 3 stock on that game, and requested a replay. I got it granted when they saw what I was talking about, just this little pair of white eyes hidden in the darkness LOL. I had played Ken the day before at my place, playing Roy against his everything. I couldn't beat him, though could 0-death combo him often enough to almost always get it to last stock - he was just better than me when it counted most lol. I went Roy against his Marth (VERY BAD MATCHUP) on FD (MAKES IT EVEN WORSE) and proceeded to get chained and juggled into oblivion. I forfeited then, my final goal being realised, and let go of "professional" Smash Shaz content, residing to play casually and come to events more to see people than to beat them.

I had become bored of Melee at this point to be honest, but kept playing just not nearly as wholeheartedly or often, as I said. Some of us went to Adelaide for a tournament, and it turned out to be the WORST singles event, but the BEST crews event I can remember. Singles was random stage, single elim. I lost to Freddo on my hated stage (Yoshi's) after I phantomed an f-smash on him at the edge. He killed as I was vulnerable and laughed at both my bad luck and the single elim. aspect of the tourney. The crews were awesome. The Adelaide guys mostly played Fox and Marth, with a couple of Falco's. I captained the team and sacrificed our star players into their Marths. Why? Because I knew we had a secret weapon - super rookie and champion in the making: Dekar! He was showing some amazing plays and reads with Jigglypuff, and was honestly taking openings on people like Redact and Freddo and getting a stock each time. KO and Freddo said I was leading Vic to a loss, but they regained faith when super rookie Dekar showed them the error of underestimating his hax! Fun times! Teams were really great at that tourney too. This was probably the last tournament I did anything more than just show up to, as I at least prepared somewhat.

I came to monthlies here and there, Dekar quickly improving, as well as Redact and others who are still around like Atticus, Tak, Forte etc. I played things like Gdorf (actually a lot of Gdorf) at these things just coz I like him. I also wanted to prove to myself I could beat Ted's Gdorf, who I have a lot of respect for. I beat Dekar in a Jiglypuff ditto at a tourney in Boronia, and that was pretty much the last time I could beat Dekar lol. Now we have SD here taking names, Syke, who showed up to a tourney and did more than actually talk big (he was much less douchey than he was as a kid too!) and won unless I'm tripping. Other OoS'ers like ZXV have made a stamp on the scene since I've left, and overall there's so many more good players and many more players in general showing up to events - it makes me super proud!

-----------------

Brawl came. Brawl was a disappointment, mainly because of tripping, though many were angered by lack of wavedashing. My second biggest hate was actually the move buffering so you'd try to shieldgrab, but slide off the edge from the slipperiness of the mechanics, and end up instead doing a nair you never asked for to your death (I mained Ike). For a short time there I was pretty damn good at Brawl. Chris (Amaterasu) was putting in work as Metaknight, as well as some others standing out (eg. Jei). I played Chris's MK with Ike at a meet and beat it, as well as Jei's Yoshi that same night. Jei gained some respect for me that night it seems <3 xD. As far as Brawl goes Attila and Tibs were and are just too good. Beasts I'd say!

-------------------

Fox has always been VERY popular, as has Falco. Many Marths. A few Sheiks, Quetz, Emily, and then KO played a lot of Peach, others dabbling here and there. Several Falcon's worth a mention. Overall not much has really changed character-wise to be honest. Props to anyone who's given low tiers a go, and more so when they make them work - BringerofDeath for instance had one MEAN Yoshi!

-------------------

OK! My wiki page. That is totally KO's fault! LOL. You see there was this running thing with Emily and KO that they agreed to do nothing that makes me look good at Smash. For instance Emily and I did a king of Falco match that was the best of 7, and it was recorded to be put online. I won very convincingly, so she never uploaded it lol. The only matches that are/were on youtube of me are of me getting *****, like by Bowsers. The only match that made me look half decent was from SEAT 2 of Bringer and I winning teams, and I think that was uploaded for Bringer's sake (<3 Burger). But yeah, my wiki page makes me look SO bad, and like I didn't attend much. Also note that i don't have a placing on Jack Garden Tournament, despite placing pretty damn high, and that my forfeit for SEAT1 doesn't mention WHEN I forfeited lol. Thanks KO I love you too!

------------------

More info eh? Ok..let's see. Have some trivias and stuff.

Some of the people who I've felt strong early talent from include Dekar, Sloth, Attila.
Plasia has a golden toilet seat to match his Golden Roy - Nick Caine and Plasia also had a match where the prize was his sister.
Emily used to give 100% against everyone, even noobs. More than once she made people cry LOL.
Ken beat both KO and I with G&W one after the other, to prove he was better than Australia. We both got him to last stock but couldn't seal the deal, KOs Peach, my Fox.
Mewtwo King stole my chocolate milk LOL!
Mewtwo King also beat me in a Roy ditto - one match on Yoshi's (that stage fk me).
I think Emily is the most profound female Melee Smasher (sorry Lil, still <3 you!)
KO lost the 'best in Aus' match to me in front of Ken after his many boasts. Peach vs Roy on DL64 lol. He loved it.
Ken lost to Cats/Kyattsu's Pikachu - was awesome.
On these boards I got voted best player in Aus back in my prime despite my habits to forfeit, go random, etc. Personally one of my proudest moments!
Redact wanted to fight me near when we first met lol.
Some NZ players came over for a tourney once. One grabbed my balls so I kicked his foot and a shoe went flying.
For a long time I think I was one of the only people using dash-extended grabs - so strong on Fox and Sheik guys get on it if you haven't already!
Bringer's Yoshi was awesome! He beat me with it at one tournament at least.
King Kong played a mean DK.
Quetzalcoatl played a real nice Zelda and Mewtwo.
I regret not getting many chances to vs Quetzalcoatl when he was most active - it just rarely seemed to happen.
Markarse played a real nice Mewtwo also.
MikulOnIce played a manly Gdorf, and beat Emily with it at one monthly.
Is Jamwa the guy who plays Ness and stuff? If so he's quite good too!
A girl named Yvette came and played Sheik and whipped many players using the chain at the edge to their losses.
Emily wanted to punch Syke, and once actually asked me to do it for her at an event (I didn't of course lol).
I dominated Tak using Boweser's up-B on his birthday.
I beat KO in a Marth ditto using only neutral A (not aerial, the jab-slashes).
Killing people with Roy's up-throw is called a vengeance toss.
At Cats's place, we used to do 3v1's against my Fox. I often won (shine op!).
I am and always have been a firm believer that too many stages are banned in Smash games, and that the tier list is artificial due to this.
I've said this in person, but Roy's worst matches imo are Peach, Mewtwo, Marth, Luigi and Samus in no particular order. He is strong against Falcon, Fox, Falco, Sheik if you can play him well enough.
Flare blade is underutilised! That move is one of the best in the game for sure.
Billy/Splice is always in my pool when I try come back for a Melee tourney, and he ***** my hopes and dreams before I can even wavedash properly again lol.
Space animals stupidly op.
I lost...a lot. To many players and many chars (particularly Luigi in internationals wtf with that? lol). Despite this post mentioning the good things I achieved, I did lose too.

----------------

If Percent or anyone actually gets through all of this, you deserve a prize. I don't think anyone will ever post something this huge and meaningless again, but hopefully this answers questions anyone might have. Sorry if I toot my own horn in here a little too much (more than likely lol), but hey, someone has to. It's been great thinking back to all the fun Melee brought me through the years, and all the fantastic, friendly and talented people I've gotten to meet and call friend through the journey. They all pushed me to improve, evolve, and evaluate myself as a person, and I'm thankful for that! Hope it's brought or is bringing everyone else even a fraction of the happiness and life lessons it's given me.
Peace!

Shaz - Smash has-been :D

AIU_PooP

The Official PooPer
My Smash history...

I got brawl for my birthday when I was nine, it was amazing, my favourite game to play for a long time, little did I know 5 years later I'd despise it (I didn't even know about smash attacks!).

3 years later I found about this mythical god, it was called melee, I vowed to play it before I died.

Fast forward to 2014, I found out about the competitive smash scene after the Smash Bros. Invitational at E3, watched one stream of PM Xanadu only to see ChuDat trolling some guy, Sm4sh came out and I played it for about 70 hours in the first week, watch TBH4, decide melee looks pretty cool, buy it off eBay.

Go to my first tournament the December Couchwarriors RanBat, got smashed by Flog second round and got murdered in losers, got beaten by Hyes in Sm4sh too, MW2 comes around and I get wrecked by everyone again.

It's been a really fun month of competitive smash and 5 and a half years of extreme casual smash :b:

Meredy

The Busterina
You actually gave me a decent run for my money in melee at MW PooP. Real good set.

Last edited:

AIU_PooP

The Official PooPer
You actually gave me a decent run for my money in melee at MW PooP. Real good set.
It was so strange that I won PM in the set that we played on accident, but then somehow we met up in amateur melee and you beat me! But those 2 sets are probably the favourite I've played so far!

Last edited:

Meredy

The Busterina
Well I take Melee much more seriously than I do PM. I have 0 Zelda combo game.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Thanks so much for that detailed post Shaz, was truly an amazing read, (really). lol I just figured out some more questions to ask (hmm perhaps some other time), but I think YOU deserve a prize for that AAA standard post, it's hard not to be biased so it's all good. :)

Some of the things you mentioned vaguely remind me of somebody else...
For the most part tournaments were made up of Emily winning and me forfeiting whenever I had to vs her
I decided to run SEAT 3 in KO's absence... basically I clean swept the thing
KO lost the 'best in Aus' match to me in front of Ken after his many boasts. Peach vs Roy on DL64 lol. He loved it.
On these boards I got voted best player in Aus back in my prime despite my habits to forfeit, go random, etc.
Is that you Isai?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Thanks so much for that detailed post Shaz, was truly an amazing read, (really). lol I just figured out some more questions to ask (hmm perhaps some other time), but I think YOU deserve a prize for that AAA standard post, it's hard not to be biased so it's all good. :)

Some of the things you mentioned vaguely remind me of somebody else...

Is that you Isai?
No worries. If there's more ask away. Yeah lol, I guess you can say there were similarities between Isai and me. I'd say our motivations and sensitivities were similar (playing the characters we liked the way we wanted to - being influenced by the emotions of people around us), but reaction-wise we were polar opposites: him ice and me fire. He was a really nice guy though, the ol' Isai, and I'm sure he's done a lot of growing since I last saw him too :)

Another nice guy was Bach. He was in Japan with us, but like Cella, he was more there for the experience than the competition. He made a lot of the documentary-style vids for the earlier tournaments and put them on youtube. He made some big contributions to the scene with his videos, and I thought him worth mentioning since there's more to the scene than just the players. Props to "Ore wa Bach. SUGOI!"

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
@ FinXx FinXx : It was a weird set, I felt that you were underplaying and could've done a lot better. Hopefully the next time we meet we'd be playing better or more flashier, like our friendlies at PCGs!
Yeah.. I really wasn't feeling it that day and my results reflect it. Such a bummer because I love Falcon dittos so much. Cheers for the shout outs and hopefully we can do flashy stuff next time we meet :)

Letham

Smash Rookie
More info eh? Ok..let's see. Have some trivias and stuff.

A girl named Yvette came and played Sheik and whipped many players using the chain at the edge to their losses.

She still does that - and some pretty good sexkick/juggling abuse. She sometimes wonders if she should go competitive again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom