• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash 4 is hard

BlowingUpMyGoodEye

Smash Rookie
I personally found that focusing on movement before attempting to develop one's game sense(reads, combos, that sort of thing) is a good way to get started.

If you want to do a fastfall short hop, for example, then practice executing it in training mode for a while until you can do it consistently without consciously thinking about it. Having full control over your character's actions is really important.
The inputs that I personally struggled with were short hop uair and utilt because they're nearly indistinguishable. Find your weaknesses and work on eliminating them.

As for actual matches, experience is crucial as long as you figure out why you've won or lost. Tournaments between pro players and forums(smashboards,reddit, etc) are solid supplementary resources, but you can't rely solely on them to get better. Get out there and lose!..or win, but that might not happen very often if you're new and fighting high skill opponents. Treat each match as a learning experience.

I've been playing for less than a month, so, assuming that you're new as well, we're in a similar situation. I get it. The climb to the top is really daunting, but we will inevitably get there with enough time and dedication.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To add on to the post above me, start by going on training mode and practicing your movement, combos and neutral. Learning your movement is important so you can get a better understanding of your character in the way your character moves in the air and on the ground. Learn your combos so you can know how to increase damage so you can get kills. I see that you are a ness main, so his back throw is insanely strong. It kills at like 100% percent. So save that for your kills and start finding attacks that connect. Ness's grab, down throw into up air works pretty well at mid percents for damage. His Jab grab connects, and his pk fire is good for sealing grabs or forward smashes. And lastly, neutral is something that you will learn later. But basically neutral is when you and your opponent have the same stage control and are looking for a opening. Try to find an opening by spacing back airs and dash attacks. Lastly, work hard, use the c stick and remember his pk tether is great for edge guarding! Hope this helps and it wasn't to technical! :)

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Practice and learn your matchups, essentially. It may take a while to master but it is to keep in mind that many pros in all competitive Smash scenes always started somewhere before they truly started to climb up the ranks.

Also try learning more advanced techniques and slowly practice them in training mode. Do it all at your own pace too; there is no need to rush when practising anything, Smash is no exception.

Top Bottom