• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 - Fall & Fast Fall Rankings

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Custom Stage in training mode > 1/4 speed L to advance > both characters fall off > character who bounces off spring first falls faster > compare to every character in the game

Ooohhh nice nice, springs needed some lovin

Kinda disappoint Villager is as floaty as she is even though I already knew it so who was I even kidding

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Nice work, my method was mostly for the purpose of showing approximate differences between distinctive groups (such as fast fallers, mediums and floaties) in measurable units though. This seems like a very accurate method for straight up rankings however.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
*Sees Luigi is the 5th floatiest*
Nah, I expected that--

*Sees Peach is the 2nd floatiest, being faster than none other than Jigglypuff*
*MINDBLOWN*

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
Ha, thought link would be further up on fall speed rankings with all that equipment....Uh....just 1 question, who is frog? :p

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Taken that Mario is...officially 5'1" (154.94cm for us wonderful non-americans), and that 2 blocks is Mario's height exactly(stage builder proves this); we can then take 1 block is 77.47cm, or 2 feet, 6 and 1/2 inches.
So, an object drawn to the amount of blocks equal to the height reached by the spring's jump (small or large?) can give us the speed when we record the time it takes every character to reach the ground.

Course, no one will be happy until someone robs it from the game's frame data >:(

DidWellEnough

Smash Rookie
So that makes sense. A man who is flat as paper (Mr. Game and Watch) falls faster than a real human (Luigi) :p

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Dedede is the second fastest faller? Oh yeah cause he's fat :p

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sup everyone, I have this hefty post involving Shulk's Jump Arts, & Kirby with the Jump Art. Tell me what you think of it.

So I'm not fully aware of Gravity enough to find a way of testing it extensively thus I had no decent way of testing it. However, I went an alternate route & created a stage to help me figure it out to an extent alongside Falling speed & Fast Falling speed using Aerodrome's fall & fast fall rankings as an example. Alas I didn't use spring, so no spring love.:( Here are my stage's details:

Size: Large
Background: Volcanic
Texture: Black & White tiles
Music: Pokemon Remix "Battle! (Team Galactic)"
Units: 10 units wide, 56 units tall
Ledges: Yes / both

-The idea behind this alternate route is to use ledge-hanging as the main focus of determining comparisons between fall speeds by ledge-dropping away & down because ledge-dropping away will be a casual fall while ledge-dropping down automatically makes the character fast fall. But a character's size / hurtbox most likely affected the results.

-The stage is perfectly symmetrical down the blue middle line, which is 5 units to the left & to the right from the blue center line. 56 units tall is the highest amount of units you can create for maximum height, so I went with that for this gravity + falling speed test. I set the Speed to 1/4 (Hold L), Camera to Fixed, & CPU Behavior to Control.

-For comparing Falling speeds + gravity, I had both characters grab the ledge & prepared both control sticks to be held away to ledge-drop simultaneously after tapping L once very briefly so that both drop from the ledge, set both control sticks to neutral, then held down L watching them fall. Whoever died first was who I imagined had the overall highest maximum falling speed, but I cannot say who exactly has a higher falling speed or a higher gravity value than the other.

-For comparing Fast Falling speeds, I had both characters grab the ledge & prepared both control sticks to be held down, held L to make them fall simultaneously & watched both characters to see who died first. These are my results:

Falling speed + Gravity test:
Jump Shulk dies before Falco, but Jump Shulk dies after Captain Falcon.

Decisive Jump Shulk dies before King Dedede, but Decisive Jump Shulk dies after Fox.

Hyper Jump Shulk
dies before Fox.:shades:

Fast Falling speed test:
Jump Shulk dies before Falco, but Jump Shulk dies after Captain Falon

Decisive Jump Shulk dies right before King Dedede, but Decisive Jump Shulk dies after Fox.

Hyper Jump Shulk
dies before Fox.:shades:
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
I tried to decide Jump Kirby's Falling speed + Gravity & Fast Falling speed comparisons by going to Special Smash & set it to Slow Fixed Smash. . .but I could only eyeball it since there's no 1/4 (Hold L) speed option for perfect simultaneous inputs.:ohwell:

Disclaimer: Eyeballing & not perfectly simultaneous inputs

Jump Kirby dies before Sonic, & Jump Kirby dies right around the same time as Dark Pit / Pit, but Jump Kirby dies after Shulk / Robin.

Fast Falling speed test:
Jump Kirby dies before Sonic, & Jump Kirby dies right around the same time as Dark Pit / Pit, but Jump Kirby dies after Shulk / Robin.

So yeah.

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
Sup everyone, I have this hefty post involving Shulk's Jump Arts, & Kirby with the Jump Art. Tell me what you think of it.

So I'm not fully aware of Gravity enough to find a way of testing it extensively thus I had no decent way of testing it. However, I went an alternate route & created a stage to help me figure it out to an extent alongside Falling speed & Fast Falling speed using Aerodrome's fall & fast fall rankings as an example. Alas I didn't use spring, so no spring love.:( Here are my stage's details:

Size: Large
Background: Volcanic
Texture: Black & White tiles
Music: Pokemon Remix "Battle! (Team Galactic)"
Units: 10 units wide, 56 units tall
Ledges: Yes / both

-The idea behind this alternate route is to use ledge-hanging as the main focus of determining comparisons between fall speeds by ledge-dropping away & down because ledge-dropping away will be a casual fall while ledge-dropping down automatically makes the character fast fall. But a character's size / hurtbox most likely affected the results.

-The stage is perfectly symmetrical down the blue middle line, which is 5 units to the left & to the right from the blue center line. 56 units tall is the highest amount of units you can create for maximum height, so I went with that for this gravity + falling speed test. I set the Speed to 1/4 (Hold L), Camera to Fixed, & CPU Behavior to Control.

-For comparing Falling speeds + gravity, I had both characters grab the ledge & prepared both control sticks to be held away to ledge-drop simultaneously after tapping L once very briefly so that both drop from the ledge, set both control sticks to neutral, then held down L watching them fall. Whoever died first was who I imagined had the overall highest maximum falling speed, but I cannot say who exactly has a higher falling speed or a higher gravity value than the other.

-For comparing Fast Falling speeds, I had both characters grab the ledge & prepared both control sticks to be held down, held L to make them fall simultaneously & watched both characters to see who died first. These are my results:

Jump Shulk's Falling speed + gravity dies before Falco's Falling speed + gravity, but Jump Shulk's Falling speed + gravity dies after Captain Falcon's Falling speed + gravity.

Decisive Jump Shulk's Falling speed + gravity dies before King Dedede's Falling speed + gravity, but Decisive Jump Shulk's Falling speed + gravity dies after Fox's Falling speed + gravity.

Hyper Jump Shulk's Falling speed + gravity dies before Fox's Falling speed + gravity.:4shulk:

Fast Falling speed test:
Jump Shulk's Fast Falling speed dies before Falco's Fast Falling speed, but Jump Shulk's Fast Falling speed dies after Captain Falon's Fast Falling speed

Decisive Jump Shulk's Fast Falling speed dies right before King Dedede's Fast Falling speed, but Decisive Jump Shulk's Fast Falling speed dies after Fox's Fast Falling speed.

Hyper Jump Shulk's Fast Falling speed dies before Fox's Fast Falling speed.:4shulk:
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
I tried to decide Jump Kirby's Falling speed + Gravity & Fast Falling speed comparisons by going to Special Smash & set it to Slow Fixed Smash. . .but I could only eyeball it since there's no 1/4 (Hold L) speed option for perfect simultaneous inputs.:ohwell:

Disclaimer: Eyeballing & not perfectly simultaneous inputs

Jump Kirby's Falling speed + gravity dies before Sonic's Falling speed + gravity, & Jump Kirby dies right around the same time as Dark Pit / Pit, but Jump Kirby dies after Shulk / Robin.

Fast Falling speed test:
Jump Kirby's Fast Falling speed dies before Sonic's Fast Falling speed, & Jump Kirby dies right around the same time as Dark Pit / Pit, but Jump Kirby dies after Shulk / Robin.

So yeah. Please lemme know if I made any errors which I probably did.
Wow this is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to make this! :)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm repeating it 'cus nuffin muffin. Jump Shulk's fall speed & fast fall speed values are higher than Falco, Little Mac, Roy, & Mega Man (1.8 & 2.88). Jump Shulk's fall speed & fast fall speed values are less than Captain Falcon (1.837 & 2.9392).

Customs are meh, but Decisive Jump Shulk's fall speed & fast fall speed values are higher than King Dedede (1.95 & 3.12), but less than Fox. And Hyper Jump Shulk's fall speed & fast fall speed values are higher than Fox (2.05 & 3.28). I don't know about Kirby's Jump art fall speed values though.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So what do the numbers actually mean?
they're a universal measurement of how fast something moves, im sure it has some sort of way to measure it realistically but idk

i think the numbers from fall and fast fall are the same measurement as running and walking speeds, so you should be able to say that Peach's normal fall speed is the same speed as Robin's run, for example.

Top Bottom