• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Evo 2015 Ruleset Updated: Customs On!

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
Been watching some streamers mess around with custom moves and they look so awesome and goofy. Can't wait to see what comes of this.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
When smash 4 is delayed due to customs + handwarmers + being a defensive game and is never at EVO again all you can blame is yourselves.

gamer8

Smash Lord
He's salty because Diddy is the only character in the game to not benefit from customs, even a little (Battering Peel... no.).
I thought he was planning on maining Captain Falcon after Apex or something? I dunno, he plays really well with other characters as well so I don't see him having much of an issue with that if he tried experimenting with customs or against customs with M2k.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
When smash 4 is delayed due to customs + handwarmers + being a defensive game and is never at EVO again all you can blame is yourselves.
Picking a custom set takes about the same amount of time as picking a color.

I've got enough faith that the Smash 4 players won't screw up THAT hard. :p

juddy96

Smash Lord
I thought he was planning on maining Captain Falcon after Apex or something? I dunno, he plays really well with other characters as well so I don't see him having much of an issue with that if he tried experimenting with customs or against customs with M2k.
Falcon doesn't exactly have great customs either

Pyr

Smash Lord
Either you're trying too hard, or you lack SSB4 knowledge. I'm going with both. Maybe you need to do a bit more research?

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
If someone uses a Captain Falcon's Falcon Dash Punch, since custom moves are on.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
This is awesome. Ive had concerns about the Smash 4 meta and I'm glad we're finally ready for change, with enough people accepting custom moves we might, with time, be able to create a community established list of acceptable and non-acceptable moves. Not only does this allow for more unique experiences even with the same character but it allows for characters like Charizard and Dr. Mario to have a chance in the competitive scene.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Speaking as the person who did the asking, I learned long ago that it never hurts to double check.
I guess that's true. :p

In which case, should probably make sure Melee doesn't have items on as well.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
By the way, I am curious if Skyloft is legal. I heard that it wasn't due to some music copyright thing, but couldn't the specific song just be disabled entirely?
He wouldn't elaborate due to NDA, but I speculate that EVO worked out some kind of contract with Nintendo in advance that, instead of saying "you may not have songs XYZ playing on stream," was more along the lines "you may have songs ABC playing on stream" where "songs ABC" is the track list on Battlefield, etc. So the stage list cannot be changed without editing the contract which I'm sure is more hassle than it's worth.

Reminder: This is speculation. IANAL etc.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Zero isn't trying to actively remove customs from EVO. He said on Twitter that he supports them despite not being for them.

Plus part of the reason why he wants to contact them is to ask if they can run them logistically, which should be likely, given that EvilMrWizard said that presets have to be made in advance.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Oh thats cool! Now i can actually bother unlocking all those damn, ever-elusive,Custom moves. -.-

Off to Crazy Orders!

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
He's salty because Diddy is the only character in the game to not benefit from customs, even a little (Battering Peel... no.).
Are you for real? I've seen people use Battering Peel, it makes it easier to grab and pops your foe up with lingering hit stun. Do you know what happens if you're stunned in the air around a Diddy Kong?

IT'S A HOO HAH MACHINE.

Besides, it's not like ZeRo wouldn't find the next most broken character. He just has more options now.

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
YAY! Customs are legal now!

Now let's get some Mii Fighters going here:)
(PS, they should also be allowed customs. It's only fair:)

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Are you for real? I've seen people use Battering Peel, it makes it easier to grab and pops your foe up with lingering hit stun. Do you know what happens if you're stunned in the air around a Diddy Kong?

IT'S A HOO HAH MACHINE.

Besides, it's not like ZeRo wouldn't find the next most broken character. He just has more options now.
inb4 ZeRo switches to Palutena or DK.

JaredK22

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jrdkilr22
3DS FC
2664-2858-9403
Switch FC
SW-1079-9038-3317
The one thing that isn't stated is equipment. Its most likely that equipment won't be allowed as counters could gain a lot of power from even basic attacks (I learned this from my custom Shulk) and auto heal and vampire brawn/defense badges can cause a player to lose no stocks against an opponent because they restore percentage. So that's my reason why equipment won't be allowed.

Last edited:

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
The one thing that isn't stated is equipment. Its most likely that equipment won't be allowed as counters could gain a lot of power from even basic attacks (I learned this from my custom Shulk) and auto heal and vampire brawn/defense badges can cause a player to lose no stocks against an opponent because they restore percentage. So that's my reason.

agreed. badges would break the metagame.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
inb4 ZeRo switches to Palutena or DK.
ZeRo's gonna keep it in the DK Crew.

But wow, I seriously cannot contain my hype and happiness for DKWill. I wonder how many years he's longed to hear the words "Idk DK's kinda broken."

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
ZeRo's gonna keep it in the DK Crew.

But wow, I seriously cannot contain my hype and happiness for DKWill. I wonder how many years he's longed to hear the words "Idk DK's kinda broken."
Not as long as Gimpyfish had to wait for Bowser to be good.

Or I did for Link to be good. ...By which time I'd long switched to Marth. (I do pocket customs Link, though.)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The one thing that isn't stated is equipment. Its most likely that equipment won't be allowed as counters could gain a lot of power from even basic attacks (I learned this from my custom Shulk) and auto heal and vampire brawn/defense badges can cause a player to lose no stocks against an opponent because they restore percentage. So that's my reason why equipment won't be allowed.
He also has mentioned on Twitter he means equipment off too, dont worry.

JaredK22

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jrdkilr22
3DS FC
2664-2858-9403
Switch FC
SW-1079-9038-3317
He also has mentioned on Twitter he means equipment off too, dont worry.
Oh, ok just wanted to state the obvious just incase :p

JaredK22

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jrdkilr22
3DS FC
2664-2858-9403
Switch FC
SW-1079-9038-3317
If custom moves are then the Miis are most certainly as well. You can count on that
That's true if there's customs, you can count on mii's being there as well. ;)

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Customs? What a horrible idea, considering that there are a solid half dozen moves (at least) that are absolutely banworthy and another dozen are so that are just stupidly good in general. The meta is young, and just watch, I'll bet that when Diddy doesn't win EVO we'll have that small crowd of pro-custom users that will cry out "See, see, customs are the way to go!" when in reality we'll all know that at this point in time its surely a fluke and they don't really know what they're talking about.

The beauty of Smash 4 in its current state is how balanced it is (especially for a Smash game) and adding customs into the mic brings us one step closer to breaking that balance, especially at this stage in the game's meta.

Items were banned for a reason, and I know that the whole "Well at least they tried items first" argument can be thrown out, but considering that everyone hated items during their inclusion during Melee's early days and considering that competitive Smash was in its infancy it makes sense for them to have made that mistake at first.

We're smarter and bigger now, lets not make this mistake

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
This is so great for the smash 4 scene it's hard to describe...

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Customs? What a horrible idea, considering that there are a solid half dozen moves (at least) that are absolutely banworthy and another dozen are so that are just stupidly good in general. The meta is young, and just watch, I'll bet that when Diddy doesn't win EVO we'll have that small crowd of pro-custom users that will cry out "See, see, customs are the way to go!" when in reality we'll all know that at this point in time its surely a fluke and they don't really know what they're talking about.

The beauty of Smash 4 in its current state is how balanced it is (especially for a Smash game) and adding customs into the mic brings us one step closer to breaking that balance, especially at this stage in the game's meta.

Items were banned for a reason, and I know that the whole "Well at least they tried items first" argument can be thrown out, but considering that everyone hated items during their inclusion during Melee's early days and considering that competitive Smash was in its infancy it makes sense for them to have made that mistake at first.

We're smarter and bigger now, lets not make this mistake
Which would you consider banworthy? I certainly can't think of any...

And Items were banned because they were random, which customs aren't. I fail to see the relation, really...

Top Bottom