• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Controller Lag Comparison

Which Controller Do You Use Most In Smash 4?

• Gamecube

Votes: 596 62.3%
  • Wii U Pro

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • Wii U GamePad

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • Wii Remote/Wii Remote + Nunchuck

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 3DS

Votes: 73 7.6%
  • Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

Votes: 36 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 1.0%

• Total voters

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Wii U Pro is great yeah. But they are incredibly dumb at tournaments because you cant really fully turn them off and people often interfere with games accidently.

The Gamecube controller is standard not just because people are used to it but because its easy to disconnect.
The Wii U pro controller can be turned off on command. You just need a thin object like a paperclip to do it. On the back of it is a small reset button. If you press that, the controller disconnects. Then just put it away and you're good. When you need to play again, just reconnect by pressing a button that are not the triggers. The sticks don't activate it either.

jaffex

Smash Rookie
I use the GameCube controller for two reasons:
1) Confusing as hell when going back and forth between Melee & Sm4sh
2) Much more durable than pro controllers. I've gotten through 2 pro controllers alone simply due to excessive dash-dancing lol

with that being said, GameCube controllers simply aren't made for Brawl/Sm4sh. The analogue L & R buttons feel clunky when used in a game made for digital controllers.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Any quick text writeups/TL;DW? I honestly hate having to watch videos instead of a quick text summary.
Equiptment/setup he used involved a 120fps camera, a device that was wired to light up 1 frame after the button was pressed, and Little Mac for the frame 1 jab. He also noted that his computer and wifi were also present as realistic interferences in your standard household. Upon testing the Wiimote, Wiichuck, Classic, Pro, and GameCube controllers, he found that every instance gave 7 frames of lag. 3DS was debatably 7-8 frames. Wish he had a WaveBird on hand to test :/

It is important to note that while this was very well done and completely justifies home usage of wireless controllers (imo), it still doesn't justify tournament usage. The biggest reason why they're banned is because of the hindrance of batteries. It's easier to just remove the potential for the problem to occur than to go through debating whatever happens after the controller dies. Pause? 10min waiting time limit to get new batteries? Lose the match as penalty? Lose the set? Is it really the player's fault; should they be penalized at all? etc.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Isn't lag also determined in how long the wire is? Anyway, I do remember seeing this guys first video just to see if there were any difference between all the controllers. From what he tested, there wasn't. I remember getting into a debate about this with someone about a month later. He asked for proof, but I couldn't find it. Instead I kept finding dumb videos on how to cut lag during game play. Glad to see this video.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
I use the gamecube @melee tournaments but recently have switched to the wii u pro controller for sm4sh. Muscle memory was giving me issues when I would try to jump cancel grab and all I got was a full hop air dodge or zair. I have my pro controller's button set up as close to the gamecube as possible so it was easy to get used to but the different feel helped me not use tech that doesn't exist in sm4sh.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It is very interesting to see that each controller clocked in at the same relative latency as each other (except possibly the 3DS).

I would love to see this test performed again for Brawl to see if there are any differences. I'd also like to see where the GCN controller clocks in with Melee (and also include the Wave Bird).

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
The Wii U pro controller can be turned off on command. You just need a thin object like a paperclip to do it. On the back of it is a small reset button. If you press that, the controller disconnects. Then just put it away and you're good. When you need to play again, just reconnect by pressing a button that are not the triggers. The sticks don't activate it either.
Thanks, I actually didn't know this, but is it still connect to the system? Because I've seen people turn them off then throw them in their backpacks which after awhile a button gets pressed.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Started out with the Gamepad for like 2-3 months till I gotten a unofficial Kelux GC adaptor from Amazon, much cheaper than buying the official one.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
Actually i play smash games using a Wiimote because i don't have a Gamecube/Classic controller(i need any of them)

Last edited:

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
As long as the wireless controllers don't cause stupid issues like the PS4 has been doing in recent tournaments then there's no issue. The main problem with wireless controllers recently hasn't been latency since the technology has come a long way, but the fact that syncing and interference issues can be a major concern.

It would be interesting to see this sort of experiment performed in the environment of a major, where lots of people have controllers synced and phones everywhere.

Still though, a wired connection should theoretically always outspeed wireless, so I wouldn't be surprised if the GC adapter has deliberately programmed input delay to keep it consistent with the other controllers. In fact it's interesting that all the controllers are so consistent in their latency, that flat out shouldn't be the case without a deliberate effort to make it so.

I honestly just wish this push towards wireless only would stop, there's a reason why all top quality electrical equipment isn't wireless, and while we're not asking for gold plated connections, please just give us the option. (Although I guess with GC at least they have, but I wish other Wii U controllers could be wired too)
why do you have yellow text ow my eyes

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
I only use the GamePad because I don't have a Pro Controller yet. I think the GameCube controller is overhyped, personally; The face buttons (A, B, Y, X) look awkward to use and I can't understand for the life of me why the DPad and C-Stick protrude from the grips.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
It is important to note that while this was very well done and completely justifies home usage of wireless controllers (imo), it still doesn't justify tournament usage. The biggest reason why they're banned is because of the hindrance of batteries. It's easier to just remove the potential for the problem to occur than to go through debating whatever happens after the controller dies. Pause? 10min waiting time limit to get new batteries? Lose the match as penalty? Lose the set? Is it really the player's fault; should they be penalized at all? etc.
if batteries are such a big concern, then I would think it's the individual's responsibility to ensure they're well powered... if something goes wrong, it's their fault they can't act while the opponent takes the stocks at their leisure.

I use a third party GCN shaped Classic controller pro because I don't have an adapter for a regular one. any time I go to tournaments, I've made it a habit to place one of my batteries in reverse so that the controller doesn't turn on by accident after a set. I also make sure to bring a spare pair of rechargables in the event I see the LED lights getting dim.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I use the brick. Say what you will, but I dont mind hold what essentially is the end of a coffee table to play smash. gamepad for home, wii u pro for Tourney, good to know I wont have any difference in input lag for any of my choices

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Yeah but... he didnt explain how much lag had the 3ds in itself (not being connected to a Wii U)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
"...who despite their name made a well thought out video"
lol

I'm one of the eight people who uses Wii+Nunchuck. It's even sadder that Wiimote/nunchuck are grouped up in the same category, but it still has the second least votes :(

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I use a gamecube controller, though I wish there was an option for the ds/pro controller button layout with a c-stick and control stick in the gamecube controller's position.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Interesting... While I can say that I will continue to be pleased with the 3DS's performance, I will say that if I ever go hardcore competitive, (which I consider myself borderline; not a professional) I will likely never use the 3DS again. I'll consider going Pro, but I am more familiar with the gamecube controller than any other; if I decide to use it, it won't be because I think it's better, it'll be because I've already adapted my instincts to it, given my history with Melee. I never went competitive with Melee, not to any considerable degree, but I've grown to recognize the feel of the controller nonetheless.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Gamepad and 3DS are natural now. With the sparse amount of adapters, I gave up looking for them. I might buy a pro-controller cuz of splatoon though and will try it on Smash

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I...will still use the GC controller, or the HORI battle pad.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Gamepad and 3DS are natural now. With the sparse amount of adapters, I gave up looking for them. I might buy a pro-controller cuz of splatoon though and will try it on Smash
Splatoon is compatible with the GamePad only unless you want it for Battle Dojo.

bluesm0ke

Smash Rookie
NNID
sdlonghorns11
"Which controller do you use the most in Smash 4?"

Oh wow what an obvious question. It's clearly the Wii Remote Gamecube controllers.

You know, i'd honestly be shocked if I've ever seen anyone nowadays use a Wii Remote, casual or competitive.
Tearbear in SoCal is high on the PR and he uses a Wiimote + Nunchuck. And if you were referring to Wiimote by itself, sorry for wasting ur time :b:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but I just can't use the Gamecube controller for the life of me anymore. Wii U Pro and Gamepad have become more of my thing now.

Last edited:

Lenrap

Smash Rookie
I believe most tournaments use gamecube controllers because
1. People are used to gamecube controllers from melee
2. It is the only wired controller, making disconnection easy as pie
3. The misconception about the controller having no lag, which the video just proved wrong

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'm curious how much wifi interference he set up for those wireless controllers. I'm fairly certain I've been able to strain the connection of my wiimote + nunchuk through stress testing to replicate the issues we had on Brawl. But those issues were dropped inputs, not lag-related, so I guess it wouldn't have made a difference for this topic. But yeah, if you want a wireless controller, Smash 4 seems to be better equipped for it than Brawl/Project M due to a stronger infrared connection in the Wii U's hardware.

So it's a shame to hear that so many nationals are banning wireless controllers because of the possibility of people not disconnecting after a set. The Wii U's pro controller unsyncs when you hold the sync button for 15 seconds according to a google search. Wii remotes? Yank out the batteries. 3DS? Sleep Mode. Why can't we be trusted to do such easy tasks in a tournament setting?

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I have one of these

is it a gamecube controller or a classic controller?

BluBlur91

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonickidd51
3DS FC
1762-3703-4910
It depends what mood i'm in honestly. I use both 3ds and gamecube, but for advanced techs i use the gamecube controller

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
OK I use gamepad and pro controllers, I prefer the c stick being above my buttons rather than below and I don't like the plastic stick for the gc controller my thumbs slip off

Anyway I have had some pretty severe problems with the pro controllers online to where i don't trust them anymore, lots of miss inputs and sometimes i can't hold r or L the controller flickers the input on and off super fast

Top Bottom