• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Bowser Main having a character crisis in Ultimate

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
My favorite smash character of all time was Bowser in Smash 4. I loved his throw combos off of up throw, his weight, his moves, his ridiculous kill power. He only got better in Ultimate, except his up throw no longer has follow ups. His throws were a key reason why I liked him so much, and now he feels like he doesn’t have a play style that I enjoy. There are a lot of other characters I like in Smash Ultimate, but don’t love. I really like Incineroar, but his recovery is really bad. Ike feels good and I liked him in Smash 4 too, but again his recovery isn’t the greatest. I used to like Mewtwo, now he feels sluggish. I like DK’s playstyle but couldn’t give 2 craps about the character. The only non heavy or glass cannon character I enjoy playing as is Villager, but I like playing heavies. Help?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Well he doesn't have those same throw combos. But everything else about Bowser is improved. Try out his new tricks, and you'll find more depth than you did fishing for dash grabs in the last game. He feels less homogenized and more well rounded. In fact I don't think you'll find a better heavy than our Lord Bowser. :bowser:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Well he doesn't have those same throw combos. But everything else about Bowser is improved. Try out his new tricks, and you'll find more depth than you did fishing for dash grabs in the last game. He feels less homogenized and more well rounded. In fact I don't think you'll find a better heavy than our Lord Bowser. :bowser:
I've been playing him more and he still feels really good (he was even the first character I got into elite smash). But I have also taken a strong liking to Incineroar (I think I just really like grapplers)

W1ZARD

Smash Rookie
Haven't played smash since brawl so I can't comment on how he was in 4. Honestly if Bowser had any guaranteed combos off throw he would probably be too strong.

From what I can tell, bowser is basically a more cerebral prediction based character rather than a combo character (though he can pull off a combo or two). If you can read the other player you will destroy them.

The way I see it, Bowser's specials are designed to make him a super punishing evil genius. If you read their neutral, they will get fire breath. If you read their shield, they get command grabbed. If you read their jump ins/mix ups, they eat a grounded upB. Down B will punish air chases, and is also a high risk / high reward jab. & Bowsercide's evil speaks for itself.

Combine this with solid aerials and some super armor hes a real force to be reckoned with. Honestly hes my fave character by a mile right now. Wish there were more characters like him.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Haven't played smash since brawl so I can't comment on how he was in 4. Honestly if Bowser had any guaranteed combos off throw he would probably be too strong.

From what I can tell, bowser is basically a more cerebral prediction based character rather than a combo character (though he can pull off a combo or two). If you can read the other player you will destroy them.

The way I see it, Bowser's specials are designed to make him a super punishing evil genius. If you read their neutral, they will get fire breath. If you read their shield, they get command grabbed. If you read their jump ins/mix ups, they eat a grounded upB. Down B will punish air chases, and is also a high risk / high reward jab. & Bowsercide's evil speaks for itself.

Combine this with solid aerials and some super armor hes a real force to be reckoned with. Honestly hes my fave character by a mile right now. Wish there were more characters like him.
Yeah, he played like that in Smash 4 too, but the one key difference was that Bowser could follow up with any aerial at just about any percent if he used up throw. now he only has up air, and even then the timing is super strict

W1ZARD

Smash Rookie
Yeah, he played like that in Smash 4 too, but the one key difference was that Bowser could follow up with any aerial at just about any percent if he used up throw. now he only has up air, and even then the timing is super strict
Ah, well I understand your frustration then.

Janx

Banned via Warnings
u throw is not the beast it once was in sm4sh, but it is still one of bowser's greatest tools. It works till about 50 percent depending on character weight. if they di in or don't di at all you can uair afterwards. if they di out you can forward air. Must active hop for it to work

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
It might make him harder to play, but I would say it was a change for the better. Characters who are almost completely reliant on one or two combos/moves like the Hoo-ha, Koo-pa, or Ding-dong are just badly designed. Not only is it annoying to play against due to how little effort it takes, but it also means 90% of the character's moveset goes unused. Bowser is in a better spot than before not only because of the general buffs to heavies, but also because it's actually viable to go for different combos or kill options in various situations rather than spamming up throw all game.

Top Bottom