• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Smash 4 at TAG Fest 2.0 (Toledo, Ohio)

Smash 4 at TAG Fest 2.0 (Toledo, Ohio)
Posted by djtatsujin
Seagate Convention Centre
Saturday, December 5, 2015 - 06:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 5, 2015 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
TAG (Toledo Anime and Gaming) Fest will be held Saturday, Dec. 5, and we will close out our "season two" of gaming competitions at the event.

Smash Bros. for Wii U 1v1 will be held starting at 6 p.m. on the second floor of the Seagate Convention Centre. The event itself has a $5 venue fee, which includes access to panels, anime screening rooms, vendors and full video and tabletop open play areas from 11 a.m.-midnight.

Signups for the Smash Bros. tournament will begin at 5 p.m. and end as close to 5:45 p.m. as possible so the brackets can be formed. Entry into the tournament is an additional $5, and the full entry fee is placed directly into the prize pool for the competition. At least four entrants are needed for the tournament to run, and if there are 32 or more entrants, pools will be created.

Prize payout is based on the number of participants: Tournaments with 4-9 players will have a first and second place payout; tournaments with 10-19 players will have payouts for first place, second place and third place; tournaments with 20-31 players will have payouts for places first through fourth; tournaments with 32 or more players will have payouts for places first through fifth. The minimum prize payout is guaranteed to be at least $5. Participants must be signed in, paid, and present when the tournament begins.

The rule set is virtually identical to what was run at Glass City Con in August, but the extended rules can be found at http://glasscitycon.com/tagfest/gaming.html. But, of course, feel free to ask any questions here on Smashboards as well.

For those interested, TAG Fest on Dec. 5 will also hold a Mortal Kombat X (PS4) tournament with the same entry fee/prize structure and there will be a free Gamer Gauntlet competition based on multiple arcade-style titles.

Aidan kennedy

Smash Rookie
I live in Bowling green which isn't a far drive so i might see if i can go to this event but i need to be sure at least 4 people are to so the tournament can run so can you try and keep me filled in with information

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Sure thing! Smash is by far our most popular tournament, and we've already had multiple people comment on our Facebook and offer to bring extra set ups. For Glass City Con in August, we had 64 people enter Smash 4, and, if I remember correctly, our previous TAG Fest in January had 18 entrants. We're promoting the event very heavily this time around, so you should see plenty of competition!

Aidan kennedy

Smash Rookie
Ok sounds good i'll try my best to make it! By the way next TAG fest you should attempt to try a project m tournament because that provides super intense game play and it super fun to play.

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet

MrMag

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvilMag
Hello, I was wondering if maybe before the tournament could I or somebody else could announce and advertise the NWOH Smash 4 facebook group? We really would love to have a decent size for the smash 4 scene and I think TAGfest could help us with that.

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Hello, I was wondering if maybe before the tournament could I or somebody else could announce and advertise the NWOH Smash 4 facebook group? We really would love to have a decent size for the smash 4 scene and I think TAGfest could help us with that.
We started all of this up because very few people offered it and we wanted to start a community. By all means, talk to us at the event and I'll make sure you get the chance to spread the word!

MrMag

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvilMag
We started all of this up because very few people offered it and we wanted to start a community. By all means, talk to us at the event and I'll make sure you get the chance to spread the word!
Cool. I'll let you know once I get there which should be around 10AM hopefully. Have any idea where you'll be around that time?

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Any idea how many your expecting to turnout for the tournament? Also is there like a convention fee to pay just to get in?

Last edited:

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Cool. I'll let you know once I get there which should be around 10AM hopefully. Have any idea where you'll be around that time?
I'll be finalizing our setup at that time, actually. The event proper doesn't begin until 11 a.m., so don't come too early, but I think they'll allow people to float around a prior to that. The hallways of the convention center are public space, so no one can kick you out of the building or anything. Gaming will be the first thing available on the second floor, so if we can finish setup fast enough, I'd be willing to let people into my rooms a little earlier.

Any idea how many your expecting to turnout for the tournament? Also is there like a convention fee to pay just to get in?
This is our second year for the event, so it is a little difficult to pin down an estimate for turnout. We are currently running two anime/gaming events at the Seagate Centre a year.

We had a 1,200 overall attendance for Glass City Con 2014 and our Smash tournament had about 20 players, but due to scheduling and timing it was run on Sunday utilizing Melee, which no doubt affected numbers. TAG Fest last time was held early January, with approximately a 500 attendance and we had about that same turnout. For Glass City Con 2015, though, we really marketed the tournament and had 64 compete out of approximately 1,500 attendance. We're getting really good feedback so far for having TAG Fest in December, so, we're again hoping for a great turnout. A few of the stronger players from the July Glass City Con have also expressed interest in returning for TAG Fest.

There is a venue fee, but, because this is a one-day event where we don't splurge on costs like voice actors, admission is only $5. After that, it is $5 each to enter the Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat tournaments. There is also a free gamer gauntlet scoring competition held over multiple games.

Our Facebook event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/475776059262493/) has a posted schedule of events and more information if you are interested. But, obviously, I'm willing to answer any questions here as well. Thanks!

Aidan kennedy

Smash Rookie
Wait so you have to pay even if your not entering tournament like say I am being 5 people would they have to pay 5$ to or just the people entring the tournament?

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Wait so you have to pay even if your not entering tournament like say I am being 5 people would they have to pay 5$ to or just the people entring the tournament?
Yes, that would be the venue fee. Reason being is it is a sort of small-scale anime/gaming convention and not solely a Smash Bros. tournament. The event as a whole is two floors of content and the gaming is just a piece of that. The venue fee allows us to pay back the Seagate Centre for renting the space. Then the tournament fee is collected and fully pooled into the prize pool for that tournament.

djtatsujin

Smash Cadet
Ok sorry if that seemed rude i just wanted to make sure.
No problems at all. I understand our events aren't the typical weeklies and such found on the site.

Thanks to everyone who attended! We had 55 people enter Saturday's tournament, and, for TAG Fest as a whole, our attendance for our second event doubled over last year.

I would also ask that our players support the NWOH Smash 4 scene and consider attending a tournament planned for Saturday in Toledo: http://smashboards.com/threads/dec-...ournament-toledo-oh-toledo-oh.424692/?id=2429

Top Bottom