• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3 HD Remix - The Thread

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the Smash 3 HD Remix thread, now to start things off....

Yes this is the Dolphin only pack of extreme texture quality, none of this will work on Wii, and if anyone asks I will laugh at them repeatedly. If you haven't check out the Smash 3 thread, as well as the Smash 3C thread. Because if one letter at the end of 3 wasn't enough for you, I now have S3HD!

Previously this was a pack for Dolphin, now this thread is more a repository of assigned textures ready for people to use and combine with their own packs. This was done to give people more options. If you are interested in seeing some more characters/costumes/colours or assets please message me and I will set you up with unassigned textures for you to contribute to the repository!

- Requirements -
You are going to need a good PC to run this, if you can't run PM in 720/1080p already you won't have fun with this. In the graphics option I would suggest prefetching the custom textures to reduce stuttering.

Ideally your specs are around:
i5 processor
8 gigs RAM/4 gigs in a gaming mode
A graphics card that can run Dolphin in HD (for reference I use a r9 280 and everything works wonderfully)

-Download the Resource-

-Progress Chart-

I'll be using this to give a general indication of what I am working on

-Packs that use S3HD-

-General Questions-

What is this?:
My answer to getting the greatest smash game into HD graphics in an art style that keeps characters fresh and original. To that point, I have increased texture sizes as much as I can. Ideally, everything is 4x the original size. As this is in development some textures such as fur and hair are not HD.

How is this possible?:
This project makes use of the Dolphin texture loader, instead of going through the iso and trying to be clever with file sizes. Because of this I can completely avoid compression as well as make things as big as necessary. In the past year, the custom texture loader has become very

Are you trying to make this better than Smash 3?:
No, I'm trying to make my own thing, in some ways textures I make HD will look rather different than the Smash 3 stuff. I am very grateful to everyone who has provided me source material in S3 and S3C, but certain things such as patterns will by necessity be very different, and I might take an option that the S3 team might not have. I may add more details than they would, or interpret details differently. For these reasons I probably won't include everything, they have done.

Are you trying to make this better than Smash 4?:
There is much I can and cannot do, I can't use certain shaders and lighting that the Wii U can, and I can't increase polygons. But this pack should still feel great and look great too.

Why aren't you doing [random colour/costume] that I really want?:
Because I don't want to, in the interest of getting this up and running and without bloating too much I'm sticking to what I want and what needs to be done. For the most part, I will be doing brawl/pm colours, except replacing some colours I dislike. I could always use more volunteers!

Did you make all of these HD?:
Not everything actually, most of the S3C already does make things at higher sizes for the sake of sexy renders. It was actually once I realized this and that Dolphin could use those did I start this project.

Can I do requests?
Volunteering is always appreciated : )

So I hope you all enjoy, give me any feedback you can, I'll use this thread to update and post pictures.

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Didn't you mention something about a newer version of Dolphin using some different texture loading method?

Do you know how to run PM on said version of Dolphin? Gecko only seems to work on 4.0.2.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
yeah you need at least Dolphin 4.0-5234 on the dev builds. I use gecko all the time on the dev builds so I'm not sure what the deal is with yours there. That Brawl HD thread I link to has some stuff as well on Gecko.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So is this not possible at all with 4.02? I'm installing Dolphin now and wanted one of the more stable builds if at all possible.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
dev builds are 99% stable and much quicker, they are essentially finishing up 4.0, there is no reason not to. Any last errors are obscure and probably won't happen while playing Brawl or PM.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
dev builds are 99% stable and much quicker, they are essentially finishing up 4.0, there is no reason not to. Any last errors are obscure and probably won't happen while playing Brawl or PM.
Alright, I'll try the newer dev version. Might take some time to get the HD packs installed but I'll be back in a while.

Juken

Smash Ace
I'm guessing the default Project M is supposed to be on the SD? If that's so, would it work with the 3.6b Smash 3/3C pack that I'm using for PM?

Edit: Tried with the Smash 3C pack cthat has some of my own custom music and some of the music seems to be "fuzzy" (edit: it seems like every song that's been replaced in my SD card is playing a fuzzy version of the default theme instead of the actual song).

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Change gecko hook to VBI in the gecko boot settings, should fix that Juken, use default PM portraits and stuff, makes life easier for me.

Kei:

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280 ( Radeon R9 280 royalKing )

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Changed the hook to VBI like you said and it's still got the messed up audio even for default PM.

I noticed the CSS portraits are still being overwritten by the default Project M custom portaits, but are replacing the Brawl ones that don't have custom portraits on the PM SD card. Like I noticed Pikachu and Samus have new portraits, but people like Lucario and Charizard's alts have the low quality CSPs still.

Also, I don't think I installed the fighter folder correctly either because the textures still look the same.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I'm guessing the default Project M is supposed to be on the SD? If that's so, would it work with the 3.6b Smash 3/3C pack that I'm using for PM?

Edit: Tried with the Smash 3C pack cthat has some of my own custom music and some of the music seems to be "fuzzy" (edit: it seems like every song that's been replaced in my SD card is playing a fuzzy version of the default theme instead of the actual song).
This happened to me once too, for quite a while. I believe using a different version of Dolphin should help, it worked for me. But it's not guaranteed.

Juken

Smash Ace
This happened to me once too, for quite a while. I believe using a different version of Dolphin should help, it worked for me. But it's not guaranteed.
Installed the latest build possible as of this post and I'm still having the issue with both default PM on my SD and with my custom build.

Edit: Turned off the advanced graphics settings and it seems like the audio is messed up even with the HD mod disabled. After going back to 4.0.2 and playing through Gecko, the audio works again, but 4.0.2 of course doesn't have support for the new texture method.

Also, I've just gotten this error when trying to play with Jigglypuff.

I held down enter to ignore it and it would just pop up every frame with the match continuing and freezing each frame until i pressed enter again.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
@ Juken Juken

merge the fighter file in my zip with the fighter file in the SD card. I would also appreciate your effort in realizing which errors are at my own fault, and which ones are part of whatever custom pack you are using. For things not related to my pack go to the Dolphin forums. Because I have included nothing on Jigglypuff and some alts like Charizard, I made a progress chart for this very explicit reason. You are also free to explore the load file as it gives you a good idea of what is there. Some CSPs just aren't done from the base Brawl/PM HD pack, those actually take a lot of time to manually do.

Things that aren't related to these textures and using them shouldn't really be here, Dolphin has plenty of guides on how to install PM, and their forums have much better support than what you can find here in this thread.

Onto other things this part of a certain costume for a certain favorite character of mine received way too much work and will probably not be seen ingame much at all, such is life.

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
@ Juken Juken

merge the fighter file in my zip with the fighter file in the SD card. I would also appreciate your effort in realizing which errors are at my own fault, and which ones are part of whatever custom pack you are using. For things not related to my pack go to the Dolphin forums. Because I have included nothing on Jigglypuff and some alts like Charizard, I made a progress chart for this very explicit reason. You are also free to explore the load file as it gives you a good idea of what is there. Some CSPs just aren't done from the base Brawl/PM HD pack, those actually take a lot of time to manually do.

Things that aren't related to these textures and using them shouldn't really be here, Dolphin has plenty of guides on how to install PM, and their forums have much better support than what you can find here in this thread.

Onto other things this part of a certain costume for a certain favorite character of mine received way too much work and will probably not be seen ingame much at all, such is life.

That error image is from default Project M SD. My custom one is noting but Smash 3 skins and some music. It probably is just an issue with whatever Dolphin version I'm using though, so I'll try and remove it all and add Dolphin fresh.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Hey- Zelda I think you have the wrong green tunic wearing hero... oh well. OoT Zelda and Brawl Marth are joining the HD up. Thanks to @TEMVSL who now swears by texturing everything 4x the size, see it's not just for the renders man! I also took the careful time to resize all of Brawl Marth, wasn't easy going back to some of that stuff, I may even use this as a chance to update the SD version... we will see!

But that is not all...

Holy War Marth is also joining up, so all the Marth costumes have received their due, thanks to @Wing Zero for providing the source files. Although this took so long, it actually didn't need too much complete reworking, life is complicated like that.

The only things incomplete are the hair and the back insignia of Brawl Marth's cape, I need to figure out more how to best recreate that. A lot of stuff has received brand new patterns, hence why this is a "remix". Marth's sword in particular has a lovely steel texture

Anyways here is is the download page, now on brawlvault too: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209355

Last edited:

TheAmazingMemer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Faves3000
3DS FC
4940-5681-4585
My god, everything looks so much more crisp and beautiful.

Too my bad computer is awful and the Wii is my only option

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Heh so I kept in some redundant files from the original Brawl/PM HD pack, bloated file sizes are no fun.

So I updated my download link killing all of that, and have it now so that you can download the files as a zip through dropbox. This saves me lots of time with reuploading a zip with most of the same content. I also managed to pull off Marth's back crest, so I added that in : D

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Hey another update

Dry Bowser and Gi Lucario get some work done, for reasons inexplicable to mankind a certain texture artist deleted their source files for Dry Bowser, thus I had to upsize and uncompress a few places. I have to say I'm quite happy with the results. Gi Lucario gets some HD clothes that I had just lying around on dropbox. This Gi Lucario comes in Standard Ryu and Shiny Ken, unfortunately due to some unforeseen events the Ken skin won't appear ingame on netplay builds. I plan on fixing this later, but heck at the moment over half the cast isn't HD, so I hope it's not too much trouble. His fur and main body isn't updated either, and won't be until S3 release but I think the duds are a nice touch! In addition since I love alt poses I went ahead and did this:

Exclusive to this project (S3C version to be released eventually) I give you a new alt pose! Many thanks to ledgerewskie for his tutorials, answering a few questions, and his vast resources. See ledge, your tutorial didn't go to waste! I'll probably pull this on Dry Bowser, Pirate Wolf, PJ Ness, and Commander Lucas as well. Alt poses for the best poses!

I also fixed a few things with Samus, if you ever tried her Gravity suit in the last update you'll know what I mean.

The main Brawl/PM HD pack by Yami added HD stock icons, so I decided to do the same:

Some more picture: http://imgur.com/a/YzUYe

Some of these required a lot more work than you'd think, but they look fantastic in matches... and classic mode.

Considering some of the fixes and the latest Brawl/PM pack by Yami now is a good time to delete and redownload. Beta Knight should be Soon™. But for now I was just really excited to pull out these icons and renders.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy this is the quietest little Smash 3 offshoot thread, not that I mind at all... Figured I should update after a month.

Beta Knight V2 is now in HD quality, same day release as the 3C thread isn't too shabby. Brawl Marth was also updated with specs. I did a lot of minor things like portraits that are slightly bigger, and a few icons, along with Mewtwo portraits. I also added a Brawl pack with Mario, Samus, Pikachu, Marth, and Snake. Not much at the moment but it's there for those who want to try!

Next up will likely be HD Jiggly (depending on how the PM headband release goes) and HD Roy.

As ever I can use some comments and if anyone wants to help feel free to post too (comes with free early access)!

Last edited:

IDKRed

Smash Rookie
Hey ! This is a pretty good job that you have done...but is it normal that the Project M and Brawl links are the same ?

Last edited:

Hedgie

Smash Apprentice
Can we get that cool pose of Lucario with the Black Project M alt?

Layell

Smash Journeyman

Cynapse

Smash Ace
This is beautiful. I'm going to kidnap you and force you to work on it, so pack up, say goodbyes, etc. However, that may be a while because my poor laptop almost exploded at the CSS as my eyes were melting and my mouth was foaming. Might build a box over the holidays...

Smash Fan 101

Smash Rookie
In the readme, it says

Don't forget to check "Load Custom Textures" and "Prefetch Custom Textures" in the Advanced tab of Dolphin Graphics settings,
for an optimal experience.

I can't find the "Prefetch Custom Textures" option.

Help plz?

Cynapse

Smash Ace
In the readme, it says

Don't forget to check "Load Custom Textures" and "Prefetch Custom Textures" in the Advanced tab of Dolphin Graphics settings,
for an optimal experience.

I can't find the "Prefetch Custom Textures" option.

Help plz?
What version of Dolphin do you have? They should both be in Graphics > Advanced > Utility.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
use a dev version, it has the new method of loading textures. 99% of the time the dev version is stable and fine. If the first one you use isn't somehow then go back a few.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Some big updates, Brawl Sonic/Jiggs and Fusion Samus make their appearance. We already had Jiggs very close to full sized textures in her SD pack, but they are even bigger now!

I have also added an Extra Content section with the S3 Sonic I originally had in the PM Full pack, if you still want that. Check it all out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom