• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Smash 3" - A Brawl Documentary

A few years ago, we saw the story of top Melee players documented in a 9-part series called "The Smash Brothers". Those videos gathered the history of 7 of the most dangerous Melee players and their road to glory and fame, from the times when DI was witchcraft and a certain Forward Air to Down Air string had no name, to the era when Melee got a revival and the true leaders showed their moves.

Recently, Corey "False" Shin from Rush Hour Smash started a Kickstarter campaign to produce a sequel to this documentary, but instead of focusing on Melee, False would like to take a look at the controversial Smash game that divided the community. Yes, a Brawl documentary. The goal of the Kickstarter campaign is $6,303; currently, it has collected over $1,100 with 29 days left to donate.​

From left to right: Nairo (with Meta Knight), Ally (with Snake), Otori (with Meta Knight),
Salem (with Zero Suit Samus), and DEHF (with Falco). All of them are Apex winners.

The documentary has six scheduled episodes:

"The First King" (2008) - Release of Brawl, reign of Mew2King, rise of Meta Knight. Mew2King on a consistent rampage, winning everything.

"The Northern Assassin" (2009) - Ally's revenge, a new champion, birth of Apex. Ally overthrows Mew2King at multiple majors. The rise of many start here.

"The Farmer in the East and the Boxer of the West" (2010) - International invasion (Japan), glimpse of eSports (MLG). Japan redefines the game's limits, DEHF (Larry Lurr) redefines the game.

"Blips" (2011) - Vice-grip of Meta Knight, first major period of attendance drops, vague confirmation of Smash 4 at E3. Brawl tournament entries begin losing steam.

"Clear" (2012) - Japan's revenge, appearance of Europe, MK preserved, splits in community. Japanese and European players show the complacent US what's up.

"New Hope" (2013) - Salem rocks everyone's world, attendance shrinks. Smash 4 at E3, remotivation. Melee at EVO/#oneunit. A dark horse takes Apex by storm, Smash is thrust into a new, greater spotlight. 2014 - Brawl not present at MLG comeback or EVO, attempts to revive game in last days, E3 invitational, community split continues, Smash 4 release/gradual transfer.

False made a promotional video for the campaign, but ZeRo published it on his channel. You can check it out here:
What do you think about this idea? Did you watch the original Melee Documentary? What do you think about the Brawl era? Let us know! Please collaborate with the Kickstarter Campaign to make this happen, and check out False's Twitter and the Rush Hour Smash channel.​

Last edited:
Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

Really...

Even if you don't like Brawl, you should support this documentary.

It's telling the history of competitive Smash.

I think we can all get behind that.

Despite my disinterest in brawl, I have to say that I am extremely interested in this project. Unfortunately can't donate ;-;

Without Brawl some of this community wouldn't be here, it's cool seeing a documentary about the game that got me into Smash and its community.

As a competitive Smash 4 player, I am very interested in seeing this documentary and its completion. I mean most of the top Smash 4 players are people who made the transition from Brawl and I would definitely love to hear their story! In some ways, the Brawl community IS the Smash 4 community :D

Last edited:
I'll watch it. It sounds really interesting to see what brawls competitive scene was like. I watched the melee one and I liked it. I hope this is just as good.

Brawl is the game that has had by far the biggest impact in my life. The game deserves more recognition, to let the world know it used to be great and only became bad later on when the MK and IC dominant meta became too much.

Brawl may not be regarded as good but it was the game that brought me into the community. With it being regarded as inferior to melee for its entire lifespam, It definitely has some rich history under its belt. Hell, If it wasn't for the #oneunit movement for EVO, melee may not be where it is today.

I'll definitely support this.

Last edited:
Don't call it a sequel to the smash brothers if rush hour smash is making the brawl one becouse east point productions made the melee one. Not rush hour smash

WAIIIT, I have an idea.

After Smash 3 is finished, a "The Smash Pros" equivalent should be made and it should be called Smash 3 ½.

People seem to forget that people were trying to support a scene underneath the ridicule. We were supposed to feel bad for playing a game we enjoyed, and we had to carry that weight.
I still don't understand why Brawl vs. Melee was even a thing.
Same reason Smash 4 vs. Melee is a thing today: insecure Melee fanatics.

An honest and accurate retrospect on the Brawl Era would be amazing. Documenting Smash history is an awesome idea.

As long as it doesn't skip South or Midwest history. Hopefully not gonna be 80% EC related despite Tri-state being 80% of Brawl exposure and player count near the last era of Brawl
You should be in it! People called your Wario a legend back home. lol

D
I hope this gets funded. I would watch a documentary on the competitive side of Brawl.

A few years ago, we saw the story of top Melee players documented in a 9-part series called "The Smash Brothers". Those videos gathered the history of 7 of the most dangerous Melee players and their road to glory and fame, from the times when DI was witchcraft and a certain Forward Air to Down Air string had no name, to the era when Melee got a revival and the true leaders showed their moves.

Recently, Corey "False" Shin from Rush Hour Smash started a Kickstarter campaign to produce a sequel to this documentary, but instead of focusing on Melee, False would like to take a look at the controversial Smash game that divided the community. Yes, a Brawl documentary. The goal of the Kickstarter campaign is $6,303; currently, it has collected over $1,100 with 29 days left to donate.​

From left to right: Nairo (with Meta Knight), Ally (with Snake), Otori (with Meta Knight),
Salem (with Zero Suit Samus), and DEHF (with Falco). All of them are Apex winners.

The documentary has six scheduled episodes:

"The First King" (2008) - Release of Brawl, reign of Mew2King, rise of Meta Knight. Mew2King on a consistent rampage, winning everything.

"The Northern Assassin" (2009) - Ally's revenge, a new champion, birth of Apex. Ally overthrows Mew2King at multiple majors. The rise of many start here.

"The Farmer in the East and the Boxer of the West" (2010) - International invasion (Japan), glimpse of eSports (MLG). Japan redefines the game's limits, DEHF (Larry Lurr) redefines the game.

"Blips" (2011) - Vice-grip of Meta Knight, first major period of attendance drops, vague confirmation of Smash 4 at E3. Brawl tournament entries begin losing steam.

"Clear" (2012) - Japan's revenge, appearance of Europe, MK preserved, splits in community. Japanese and European players show the complacent US what's up.

"New Hope" (2013) - Salem rocks everyone's world, attendance shrinks. Smash 4 at E3, remotivation. Melee at EVO/#oneunit. A dark horse takes Apex by storm, Smash is thrust into a new, greater spotlight. 2014 - Brawl not present at MLG comeback or EVO, attempts to revive game in last days, E3 invitational, community split continues, Smash 4 release/gradual transfer.

False made a promotional video for the campaign, but ZeRo published it on his channel. You can check it out here:
What do you think about this idea? Did you watch the original Melee Documentary? What do you think about the Brawl era? Let us know! Please collaborate with the Kickstarter Campaign to make this happen, and check out False's Twitter and the Rush Hour Smash channel.​
its sucks how brawl died out so quickly I would love to see it come back, there are some bad part of it but all smash games have them

"The game that divided the smash community"

Please, the game isn't responsible for the actions of the melee community. The 2009-2010 melee community was incredibly cancerous, and needex a scapegoat for why their scene was dying other than the real issue, thenseleves.

Melee vs brawl was not a war, it was a one-sided hatred for no justifiable reason. In fact something that is very often glossed over is the large contribution brawl players donated to the evo fund to help a smash brothers title make it in. If the.community was really "split" that wouldn't have happened and most likely skullgirls would have been the game in that year's lineup. Sadly enough, the fact that melee made it into evo was and continues to be something that the melee community brags about, and I've even seen it listed as a reason that melee is better than brawl.

But because melee was and continues to be the predominant smash game, whenever newcomers join, they get told and reinforced that brawl was garbage, and the scene was just a bunch of casuals who only had MM ditto timeout sets.

Many smash 4 players weren't in melee groups when the game dropped, but the amount of privilege voiced by the melee communities was pathetic. They actually somehow thought that Sakurai owed them a new version of melee. "Owed" being used a direct quote from many seperate individuals.

Ive been in many different FG communities and it always astounds me that the smash, more particularly melee, manages to take the worst part of every other major community and manages to function. It's both impressive and horrifying at the same time.

Hopefully this gets funded (I know I'll be backing it) so some part of the competitve truth of brawl gets illuminated.

D
Lol this is pretty funny. I don't think Brawl was garbage or anything. It was fun but I really didn't think there was a competitive scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really into Brawl, but it's always cool to learn about the history of the scene. I would be cool to see him tackle other thing too, like Smash 64, PM, and one day Sm4sh.

Never really played Brawl much, but I'd definitely watch a documentary about the scene where most of Smash 4's top players started. I never really liked how Brawl was portrayed in The Smash Brothers documentary so I'd be really interested to see a doc made by people who were actually involved in the Brawl community.

As somebody whose first competitively played game was Smash 4, I'm very amused about this documentary. I'm more excited especifically about how are some of the old-school Brawl smashers are doing now.
I can't fund (underage), but I will be looking for this doc!

This Documentary could be the thing to bridge the gap between smash games, to let melee players know that this game had a history of legends and how hard it was to climb to the top.

Hope this gets funded. Would like to see a Smash4 documentary in a few years once the games ages a bit.
I think it should take more than a few years. Sm4sh is still going strong, and is only a little over a year old. Brawl is over 7 and a half years old.

Damn, now I feel old. Is there a word for when you get this sudden, crushing feeling of age?

Didn't like it back then and I really don't like it too much now. A documentary is nice for the ill-informed and as a refresher. But outside that, all that game left was bad taste that'll never be forgotten and hopefully not to be repeated.

I'll be honest, I disliked Brawl from what I played of it. But, it is just as important to the competitive scene's history as Melee. It would be nice to see this project be funded, for the sake of the community...and myself, since I'm curious about what happened in the scene.

Last edited:
Didn't like it back then and I really don't like it too much now. A documentary is nice for the ill-informed and as a refresher. But outside that, all that game left was bad taste that'll never be forgotten and hopefully not to be repeated.
But it's already been repeated, unfortunately.

But it's already been repeated, unfortunately.
How so? If you mean by Melee vs Smash X debates on forums and local scenes, then that's just inevitable. I'm talking about straight up dumping the game out of tournament scenes or having mods slowly taking over the spotlight. And I just don't see that happening with Smash 4 since its development is more solidified than Brawl's thanks to balance patches.

Its days are numbered, but enough till the next Smash comes out.

I think it should take more than a few years. Sm4sh is still going strong, and is only a little over a year old. Brawl is over 7 and a half years old.

Damn, now I feel old. Is there a word for when you get this sudden, crushing feeling of age?
Feeling nostalgic

We pulled together as a community and got the documentary funded! We need to get the stretch goal accomplished also so False can go to Japan and interview the best Japanese players for the documentary. We are only $280 away from making the stretch goal.

Top Bottom