• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Small buffs in Patch 3.1.0

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
The only change that the Pit got was it's easier to hit with Up smash multiple times.
Dark Pit got that and less endlag on Side B's aerial hit. Pretty sure it matches Pit's now. I would have wanted a bit more like increased air speed, stronger up air, fixed knockback on down tilt, and super armor for side B until the attack comes out. And here's one more thing about Up smash that needs fixing.

I personally think this a bit of a nice start for Pit and Dark Pit buffs though. A move hitting more consistently is always a nice change. Especially good since up smash is one of their main kill options. I'm at least thankful that they're getting SOME love. The other buffs and nerfs for everyone else are good for the game as a whole (Olimar having a worse up smash. Pichu having a worse ftilt. Diddy Kong has an actual recovery. Mac has a frame 1 kill confirm now im not joking.)
What are our opinions on Pit and Dark Pit specifically and anything else you want to talk about? Feel fee to express all your thoughts.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’ll take what I can get

TKD

Smash Lord
It's not a "nice start" because they didn't intend to buff him, and there's no way to know if they plan to ever do so. Jab combo, multihit, grab range (believe it or not), and ledge detection changes are fixes, not buffs. You can usually tell if they tried to buff/nerf a character by the change being literally anything else.

Pit is the same for all intents and purposes, just may get cheated less often (or hopefully never) by Usmash not linking into its last hit.
I wouldn't say that's a bad thing; I think Pit is heavily underrated.

Also shame on you for making me crave a Dtilt buff.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
It's not a "nice start" because they didn't intend to buff him, and there's no way to know if they plan to ever do so. Jab combo, multihit, grab range (believe it or not), and ledge detection changes are fixes, not buffs. You can usually tell if they tried to buff/nerf a character by the change being literally anything else.

Pit is the same for all intents and purposes, just may get cheated less often (or hopefully never) by Usmash not linking into its last hit.

Yo bro I can't believe I just saw you posted In Here You probably don't remember but we met back at winter gamefest 2010 in San Francisco or I mean San Diego . You and me got in a lot of games with my friend who is also a Fox man at the time I was a pit player back then . How have you been man I was surprised I saw you post in the pit boards I didn't think you are a fan of the character . I know the level that you play at Man You should check out that thread I posted If you wanna see trela's Pit in this game And if you ever want some high quality coaching Just shoot me a video or something ill coach the s*** out of you any game any character . hmu

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
The best buffs for Pit are those top tier nerfs. Considering the characters who received buffs in the past, I would consider two categories: bad characters and fan favorites. The first category is obvious, the second includes characters like Ness and Bowser. Characters who didn’t need buffs truly but got them anyway. Captain Falcon is a mix of both categories. So is Kirby, so I’d expect a few further buffs to Kirby in the next patch. From what I can see apart from Sakurai, Pit is not a fan favorite. Furthermore he isn’t awful. A character who is in a similar situation but is a bit worse is Duck Hunt. If Pit or Duck Hunt were bestowed the same care as Bowser/Ness they’d be much better right now. Snake is an example of a fan favorite they are extremely hesitant to nerf.

If the message above didn’t make complete sense, basically I feel the developers have certain biases when it comes to buffs. Pit is a character that appears fine at first glance but the problems appear only after enough usage. That’s why I am afraid they’ll overlook him. Him not being buffed this patch did not confirm my worries, they had many bigger problems to worry over. But if Pit is going to be buffed, he should show up in the next patch with buffs. I feel that there is a good chance they’ll buff him next patch because other characters got overlooked who needed buffs more than him, and this patch was focused on some extreme problems, like Mac, Bowser Jr., Ryu/Ken skill reward balance, and certain extremely polarizing top tiers. Characters that got overlooked include Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Villager, Charizard, Kirby, Zelda, K.Rool and Corrin. The last two were buffed in the previous patch so that was more understandable, but all the previous ones were overlooked, and for good reason, being that there were more pressing issues in balancing the game.

But next patch, I expect few but significant buffs to Pit. Side Special, Down Special, Up Air and Up Tilt are what come to mind first. There are other moves that could be better, but if they were to choose four moves and four moves only to buff for Pit, these would be first due to them struggling to fulfill their purposes adequately. This is an interesting topic, so I’ll make a thread speaking more on this.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice

This whole time I always thought that fixes were just another way to say buffs. The things you listed regarding changes like those being called fixes instead of buffs actually makes more sense to me now. Thanks for that.

And you're welcome for the Dtilt buff idea. An adjusted angle would make it better for combos at higher percents.

Top Bottom