• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Sm4sh Remix: A Competitive Smash 4 Mod

D

Deleted member

PHASE I
Contains the original 12.
v1.02
v1.03
v1.04
https://discord.gg/tQGKqrz
Discord Server

THE GOAL OF SM4SH Remix
The developers of this mod, collectively known as the Sm4sh Remix Backroom, all love Smash 4 as a game. Our main intent is to not touch the core mechanics of Smash 4, but to simply make the game more fun and involving for everyone in its playerbase. Most mid-to-low tier characters are given changes that will allow them to compete better at higher levels of play and generally give them more reliable options, while some high/top tier characters in the may have received small nerfs to tone down their arguably dominating traits, minor alterations such as making a move connect properly, having some of their less used moves made more useful in some cases, or end up remaining unchanged completely. What we want to most avoid here is power creep.

New music and costumes are all planned to be added down the line in this mod, but it is not our main line of priority. We hope you’re able to join the ride and have fun! This is not meant to disrupt or kill off the current Smash 4 metagame, but rather a nice little treat others could be willing to try out, similar to Melee SD Remix or Balanced Brawl. If you oppose this mod, then that’s fine. Just don’t play it and keep on with vanilla Smash 4.

Our future plans are detailed in the changelists above. If you want to assist in this mod in any way possible, message me or say it in this thread and I'll be sure to link you to our Discord server through private means. If find any of the changes iffy or dislike the direction this project seems to be heading, please be constructive and mindful in your criticisms. We're always open to input from outside the backroom, but we don't appreciate unnecessary brashness.

With that, I hope you find enjoyment in our demo and look forward to future development of Sm4sh Remix!​

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Yes, I've been so eager to try this out since its inception last year! :love:

D

Deleted member

Our team noticed changes on some of the characters were pretty overtuned, so we'll be updating the download links tomorrow as a heads up.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'll bring this mod to our next upcoming local to play for fun and I'll hit you up after playing it enough to tell you what everyone thinks of it! :chuckle:

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
For those coming from the Patch 1.1.7 thread, I'd like to formally introduce the project it's been merged into. I hope Sm4sh Remix will gain more traction and attention than Patch 1.1.7 ever wished it could have. It's been great working with everyone on this, and I'm eager for when we get to the other characters.

ZeusLink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
U wot m8?
3DS FC
1010-0010-0100
Oh my gosh, this was only added yesterday?

D

Deleted member

I'll bring this mod to our next upcoming local to play for fun and I'll hit you up after playing it enough to tell you what everyone thinks of it! :chuckle:
A new build's been posted in the OP, be sure to download that one.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Cool! I was hoping something like this would happen, and I hope it ends up going well. Does the team plan on making a comparison video showcasing the differences of the characters in vanilla SSB4 to this mod?

D

Deleted member

Cool! I was hoping something like this would happen, and I hope it ends up going well. Does the team plan on making a comparison video showcasing the differences of the characters in vanilla SSB4 to this mod?
Better question. Does the team plan on keeping a changelog by version?
Comparison videos are definitely going to be done.

And yeah, we'll be keeping changelogs everytime a new version comes along.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Pretty great seeing this project grow in the past year. It's been a great time in the backroom

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It'll feel quite weird to receive false information from the game tips whenever this kind of mod is used. One of the tips clearly state that Jigglypuff will KO itself if its shield breaks.

Also, while this may seem redundant, if Lucario is ever edited, please do not neglect Mega Lucario, since those two originally had the exact same attributes; Mega Lucario is basically a Lucario who can always deal maximum damage with its attacks.

Combo Wombo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jack_childree
3DS FC
1934-1187-4703
I don't see these changes really affecting how the characters play, but making them better/worse at what they do. However, will this really change up the tier list?

VizionarY

Smash Cadet
NNID
nntnendogamer511
3DS FC
5172-3207-3782
I don't see these changes really affecting how the characters play, but making them better/worse at what they do. However, will this really change up the tier list?
i mean... if this remix mod DOES end up getting used in competitive (doubtful, but it could happen) them yes, it could definitely change up the tier list. However, since this is a demo, this version probably won't change up the tier list because 12/58 characthers were changed, not all.

Combo Wombo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jack_childree
3DS FC
1934-1187-4703
i mean... if this remix mod DOES end up getting used in competitive (doubtful, but it could happen) them yes, it could definitely change up the tier list. However, since this is a demo, this version probably won't change up the tier list because 12/58 characthers were changed, not all.
What I'm saying is if all the other characters are nerfed/buffed in the same way these 12 were, the tier list isn't gonna change much, with the acception of bottom tiers. Take Luigi for example. Good buffs. Side b is less punishable and he has a better air speed and dash attack. But all that does is make him rely less on side b recovery. That's good, but not good enough to make him rise on the tier list. Mario got his u smash and dair nerfed. Nbd. Mario players may use these options less, but he's still essentially the same character with the same combos. I love this idea, just needs a few characters reworked if you want this to be a competitive mod, not a (weak)balance patch.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
It'll feel quite weird to receive false information from the game tips whenever this kind of mod is used. One of the tips clearly state that Jigglypuff will KO itself if its shield breaks.
Taken from the changelist...

"Tips are remade in order reflect possible new changes to characters as well as those containing erroneous information."

Don't worry, we're working on it. IIRC, no tips have been edited as of the current demo, but later down the line/by the end product, tips should be re-done.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 : Makes sense. I still remember how one tip states that Kirby is the 3rd lightest fighter, completely ignoring DLC and software updates. However, my own mod makes that tip completely correct, as my own attribute edits ensure that Jigglypuff is the lightest, followed by Mr. Game & Watch, and then Kirby; Rosalina and Mewtwo have their weight values increased.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Which character is going to be your guys' focal point for balance? Do recall that balanced brawl used Diddy as their focal point.

I have a suggestion (:4villager:)

D

Deleted member

Which character is going to be your guys' focal point for balance? Do recall that balanced brawl used Diddy as their focal point.

I have a suggestion (:4villager:)
Originally our focal point was :4ryu:, but Villager is a pretty good suggestion as well.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Originally our focal point was :4ryu:, but Villager is a pretty good suggestion as well.
So... Corrin is getting buffed? Interesting. I kind of wonder what would happen if her dash grab and neutral grab range were buffed. Would she become too powerful? I also wonder what would happen if her dash-attack were buffed? Maybe it could be used to mix up a bit and de-stall pin?

I'm also kind of curious to see what will happen to Bowser.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I think it's better to aim a bit low to avoid overbuffing characters. Project M ended up overbuffing Fox and Wolf (compared to Brawl), for instance.
Going low also runs the risk of over nerfing some characters.

We need to worry more about if the focal point character is well-designed.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Going low also runs the risk of over nerfing some characters.
Just don't nerf any characters then, problem solved. Lower tiers are more viable and top tier players won't be salty.

I don't have a US Smash so I can't try the mod right now, but has anyone tested Jigglypuff? Is she actually viable now?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
They want to avoid a power creep, and then the focal point would be around the best character then :/
Solution: Balance around, say, Captain Falcon or Peach. The current top tiers would likely still be the best, but characters like Charizard, Kirby, and Roy would feel more satisfying to play.

For those that have the mod, is Kirby really around Ryu/Villager level with those changes?

Combo Wombo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jack_childree
3DS FC
1934-1187-4703
I want to see Mario and Cloud burn and die in a fire. At least make them technical characters. Nothing wrong with an easy character, but not a top tier one.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I want to see Mario and Cloud burn and die in a fire. At least make them technical characters. Nothing wrong with an easy character, but not a top tier one.
Why not just buff the technical characters so they're all around each other's strength levels?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
There will always be an easy top tier character. Can't avoid that. Simply not a lot of actually difficult to use characters. Happens with... pretty much every fighting game to ever exist? At least when it comes to difficulty of use within its own game, not when compared to other games or whatnot.

Or in other words: there are some character designs that I'd image pretty much have to be awesome or horrible with basically no room for a middle ground in between. And really, the fact that a top tier is also easy to use is... not really relevant and kinda reeks of elitism to complain about it. Well not elitism but however you would describe people who use low tier characters and then complain that they lose because everyone uses the easy characters.

Combo Wombo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jack_childree
3DS FC
1934-1187-4703
What if instead of luigis dash attack being faster, it's the same end lag but it's a kill move around 140%

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
:4mario:Forward air
Sweetspot now has the Flame effect.

:4luigi:Forward smash
Now has the Electric effect. Hitlag multiplier compensated so the effect is entirely visual.
Awesome, I'm digging these extra hit effects.

I hope Dr. Mario receives an electric effect on his Forward Air & Sweet-Spot Up B, as well as Ganon receiving a Darkness effect on his Forward Air.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will say that some people do not have the ability to tap buttons rapidly, which can make it hard to gain much altitude with Luigi Cyclone. This is often a reason for why I raised Luigi's air speed to 0.92 (80% of Mario's air speed value) in my own mod. Of course, you'd still have to save your mid-air jump until you're below the stage ledge, or else things could get ugly.

Combo Wombo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jack_childree
3DS FC
1934-1187-4703
I will say that some people do not have the ability to tap buttons rapidly, which can make it hard to gain much altitude with Luigi Cyclone. This is often a reason for why I raised Luigi's air speed to 0.92 (80% of Mario's air speed value) in my own mod. Of course, you'd still have to save your mid-air jump until you're below the stage ledge, or else things could get ugly.
That's just part of using Luigi, and it doesn't come naturally. You just have to practice. I still press every button I can find as fast as I can.

Can you also give Falcon's knee the ping sound

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A v1.02 to v1.03 changelist has been added to the original post.

Top Bottom