• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sm4sh Mods and it's Future

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
Where do I begin with this? Oh hey there! didn't see ya! Not many people know this but modding is quite big in the smash community. Smash 64 has 19XX, Melee has many 20XX variations, and Brawl has Project M, Brawl Minus,ect. Modding to me bridges the gap between causal and competitive players. In that world there is no real arguing we all enjoy smash for what it is. Back to the topic at hand, modding has brought great things to us. There's alternate textures

,alternate stages

and even custom characters.

Some go as far as changing the game's mechanics. We've all grown to love these mods very much. Some wonder though, will smash 4 have mods? Well fellow smashers I may be late on this but it is now possible to use custom textures in smash 4.

There is a tutorial on how to do this online with a program called Sm4sh Explorer. These costumes are obtainable on SuperMegaBuster's Twitter page. This is only the beginning. That Smash 4 Modder has created character mods for the roster.

I believe that the modding scene for sm4sh will grow over the years into something bigger. Who knows, maybe our favorite Modding teams may move on into the future.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Smash 4 mods have existed for a long while now. Model and character replacements were among the first added aside from custom music.

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
Smash 4 mods have existed for a long while now. Model and character replacements were among the first added aside from custom music.
I was addressing the fact that now everyone can publicly change textures with sm4sh explorer

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
We're a ways off still from having a thriving modding scene in Smash 4, sadly, and the fact that Nintendo's decided to get litigious means that something on the scope of Project M is likely never happening again. Which really sucks :/

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Modding for personal reasons will grow of course, but I doubt it will ever work it's way into the tournament scene given how much money Nintendo is actually throwing at it lately.

Top Bottom