• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sm4sh Match-Ups: Yoshi (W.I.P.) [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
LolYoshi5 submitted a new guide:

Sm4sh Match-Ups: Yoshi (W.I.P.) - Yoshi's match-ups in Smash for Wii U and 3DS

This is list of Yoshi's match-ups in Smash 4

*Note that this is work-in-progress, so this can easily be improved. If you guys can help me out by giving me feedback and advice, that would be gladly appreciated.

Legend
/\/\/\ - Big Advantage
/\/\ - Advantage
/\ - Slight Advantage
= - Even
\/ - Slight Disadvantage
\/\/ - Disadvantage
\/\/\/ - Big Disadvantage

Now, let's begin.

:4yoshi:vs:4mario:
Yoshi vs Mario:

Match-up -
Explanation:

:4yoshi:vs:4luigi:
Yoshi vs Luigi:...
Read more about this guide...

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
LolYoshi5 updated Sm4sh Match-Ups: Yoshi (W.I.P.) with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.1 - Updated YoshivYoshi match-up

This is list of Yoshi's match-ups in Smash 4

*Note that this is work-in-progress, so this can easily be improved. If you guys can help me out by giving me feedback and advice, that would be gladly appreciated.

Legend
/\/\/\ - Big Advantage
/\/\ - Advantage
/\ - Slight Advantage
= - Even
\/ - Slight Disadvantage
\/\/ - Disadvantage

Now, let's begin.

:4yoshi:vs:4mario:
Yoshi vs Mario:

Match-up -
Explanation:

:4yoshi:vs:4luigi:
Yoshi vs Luigi:

Match-up...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Pixel_

Smash Ace
The explanation for the ditto can definitely be improved on. Even though you're talking about a mirror match, there's hardly any explanation about how to win the matchup, other than "The player who can utilize Yoshi's skills more effectively will win". It might explain each of Yoshi's moves, but it doesn't tell you how to outplay the opponent. I recommend looking at the thread about the ditto, even if it's a bit outdated: http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-discussion-yoshi.415203/
tl;dr of the thread, if you want to know: play more defensively and grounded

Of course, if your intent is instead to explain why the matchup is good/bad, then I don't think there's any point in putting any explanation at all for the ditto since it's self-explanatory.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i mean, yeah, we should probably be getting around to doing something like this; but yoshi boards is kind of bad at actively discussing individual matchups, let alone reaching a conclusion, LET ALONE doing that for every character in the game. (i'm guilty of that as well)

i think a large part of it is because patches are still happening; i saw a few people say they were going to start doing MU lists after the 1.1.4 patch, since they expected it to be the last one, but then 1.1.5 came out and everyone was like nope

it's probably gonna be a long while until we'll be able to complete a thorough MU chart for every character in smash 4. you might want to just start with the top / high tiers, with maybe a few notable MUs from the lower tiers.

even then, that's a big list; if you want discussion, then you might want to just start writing in your own opinions of each MU and then have us critique it. people love correcting other people, myself included :B

otherwise, there's not much point in submitting a guide that's mostly empty...

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I legitimately stopped updating most of my threads solely cause patches kept happening.

One thing I should've done that I never thought of for one of my less important threads is put what patch the tournament was on, but that's whatever.

That aside, http://smashboards.com/threads/knitting-a-yoshi-chart-mu-portal.371672/
Here's this for the thread linking to all our threads made so far on our boards, every characters MU thread or if they made a thread for Yoshi on their boards etc.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
The explanation for the ditto can definitely be improved on. Even though you're talking about a mirror match, there's hardly any explanation about how to win the matchup, other than "The player who can utilize Yoshi's skills more effectively will win". It might explain each of Yoshi's moves, but it doesn't tell you how to outplay the opponent. I recommend looking at the thread about the ditto, even if it's a bit outdated: http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-discussion-yoshi.415203/
tl;dr of the thread, if you want to know: play more defensively and grounded

Of course, if your intent is instead to explain why the matchup is good/bad, then I don't think there's any point in putting any explanation at all for the ditto since it's self-explanatory.
Thanks for the advice! I just updated the guide just now. Hope the thread helps.
i mean, yeah, we should probably be getting around to doing something like this; but yoshi boards is kind of bad at actively discussing individual matchups, let alone reaching a conclusion, LET ALONE doing that for every character in the game. (i'm guilty of that as well)

i think a large part of it is because patches are still happening; i saw a few people say they were going to start doing MU lists after the 1.1.4 patch, since they expected it to be the last one, but then 1.1.5 came out and everyone was like nope

it's probably gonna be a long while until we'll be able to complete a thorough MU chart for every character in smash 4. you might want to just start with the top / high tiers, with maybe a few notable MUs from the lower tiers.

even then, that's a big list; if you want discussion, then you might want to just start writing in your own opinions of each MU and then have us critique it. people love correcting other people, myself included :B

otherwise, there's not much point in submitting a guide that's mostly empty...
Ok then. I just uploaded this so that I can work on it little by little instead of trying to write everything at once. I'm trying to work on it as much as I can, but school... Lol.
I legitimately stopped updating most of my threads solely cause patches kept happening.

One thing I should've done that I never thought of for one of my less important threads is put what patch the tournament was on, but that's whatever.

That aside, http://smashboards.com/threads/knitting-a-yoshi-chart-mu-portal.371672/
Here's this for the thread linking to all our threads made so far on our boards, every characters MU thread or if they made a thread for Yoshi on their boards etc.
Thank you for linking me to the thread. I hope it'll help me out with this.

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Match up Yoshi vs bayonetta \/\/ - Disadvantage

This match up is pretty hard for yoshi.
Main reasons
Egg lay into witch time off edge- Yoshi dies.
Bayo's neutral B is very easy to gimp yoshi or force a bad recovery
Bayos side B can dodge eggs.
Bayo's combos are to free
Bayo has the 1 frame dodge which can kill a uptilt into up air combos.

What Yoshi can do:

Spam eggs when grounded. This will stop side B and lead into your combos.
You need to read when they witch time to bait that out. When that happens you can basically not worry about witch time too much for 30 seconds.
Nair is your friend.

I feel like it is a 6-4 or 7-3 in bayos favor

Zmac122

Smash Cadet

Main reasons
Egg throw into witch time off edge- Yoshi dies.

What Yoshi can do:

You need to read when they witch time to bait that out. When that happens you can basically not worry about witch time too much for 30 seconds.
Nair is your friend.
Egg when recovering or else you have a high chance of getting gimped.

Last edited:

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Rosalina vs Yoshi
= - Even or \/ - Slight Disadvantage
This match up is very interesting to me. I have played it hundreds if not thousands of times.

To win this match Yoshi needs to think of luma as rude batter in baseball. Yoshi is the pitcher ;). Basically Throw eggs until you can get the star in hit stun. Then approach with nair grab or neutral B. I like to grab release, jab, jab then dash attack. Then ideally into eggs or a dair.

In this matchup you want to stay parellel to rosa. Being above means death and being below means death.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137

Main reasons
Egg lay into witch time off edge- Yoshi dies.

What Yoshi can do:

Nair is your friend.

Rosalina vs Yoshi
= - Even or \/ - Slight Disadvantage
This match up is very interesting to me. I have played it hundreds if not thousands of times.

To win this match Yoshi needs to think of luma as rude batter in baseball. Yoshi is the pitcher ;). Basically Throw eggs until you can get the star in hit stun. Then approach with nair grab or neutral B. I like to grab release, jab, jab then dash attack. Then ideally into eggs or a dair.

In this matchup you want to stay parellel to rosa. Being above means death and being below means death.
I might do Yoshi v Bayonetta later on since I don't have as much experience in the match-up... But thanks for the info! It really helps. I'm thinking of putting both = and \/ for RosaLuma since Yoshi would be at a slight disadvantage with Luma, but it might be = or even /\ if it's Rosalina alone.

DooplissSSB

Smash Rookie
So to clarify: yoshi is on stage, throwing eggs at an offstage bayo and she witch times, proceeds to get on stage and combi, or do you mean yoshi off stage throwing eggs to cover himself and gets witch timed then bodied off stage?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
But Yoshi doesn't get slowed down when he gets his eggs countered, does he?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Ah, so he's saying because UpB doesn't snap to the ledge, getting countered offstage is basically death?

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
If the egg hits her and you're recovering low then yes. It's basically death I guess. (I'm assuming your DIRECTLY below her when recovering and actively trying to ledgesnap while hitting her with the egg. Never a good idea to recover low anyway, you'd have to then worry about the down smash or dair.)

It's never happened to me before, I usually recover high or try to lob an egg at her from far away as I drift back to the stage.

I guess just try to recover higher up and don't toss eggs at her at point blank range...maybe angle the egg into the stage?

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
If the egg hits her and you're recovering low then yes. It's basically death I guess. (I'm assuming your DIRECTLY below her when recovering and actively trying to ledgesnap while hitting her with the egg. Never a good idea to recover low anyway, you'd have to then worry about the down smash or dair.)

It's never happened to me before, I usually recover high or try to lob an egg at her from far away as I drift back to the stage.

I guess just try to recover higher up and don't toss eggs at her at point blank range...maybe angle the egg into the stage?
Recovering High will result in her guns. Then you can get gimped that way. you also can get spiked by her down smash when she is at edge. All in all. You need to be very careful and read hard. When yoshi gets stage control though its fairly easy.

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
But Yoshi doesn't get slowed down when he gets his eggs countered, does he?
Yes if you damage bayo when she is in WT then you will get slowed. Again, If you hit bayo with a egg she will slow you.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Keep your DJ with you and recovering high against her will be a lot safer and easier.

In the only time a bayonetta used witch time in a egg I threw I wasn't slowed down, so I think that if the egg is far from you you won't get slowed down.

Play lame. Always try to bait some kind of approach on her part and stay on your shield. Also, always assume witch time will be coming and bait those.

Last edited:

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Keep your DJ with you and recovering high against her will be a lot safer and easier.

In the only time a bayonetta used witch time in a egg I threw I wasn't slowed down, so I think that if the egg is far from you you won't get slowed down.

Play lame. Always try to bait some kind of approach on her part and stay on your shield. Also, always assume witch time will be coming and bait those.
Ill do some testing with eggs and WT to see how it works and relay the results I found probably on thursday

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Here is a couple things. Take other yoshi explanation help and add it to your own guide if you agree. Also why are you using sybols as the matchup guide and not just the words? A lot harder to quickly determine. Alphabetize your characters please. :)

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
Here is a couple things. Take other yoshi explanation help and add it to your own guide if you agree. Also why are you using sybols as the matchup guide and not just the words? A lot harder to quickly determine. Alphabetize your characters please. :)
The list is organized in the order of the roster... just FYI. I'll change the other things soon.

Last edited:

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Legend
/\/\/\ - Big Advantage
/\/\ - Advantage
/\ - Slight Advantage
= - Even
\/ - Slight Disadvantage
\/\/ - Disadvantage
This is dumb. just use the words.

LolYoshi5

Smash Rookie
NNID
CostcoRice
3DS FC
4682-9823-4137
Legend
/\/\/\ - Big Advantage
/\/\ - Advantage
/\ - Slight Advantage
= - Even
\/ - Slight Disadvantage
\/\/ - Disadvantage
This is dumb. just use the words.
I changed the legend a long time ago. I don't know why this is still being brought up to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom