• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sly steals the show! The Sly Cooper Thread

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
"Crime? I haven't stolen anything...yet."

Who is Sly Cooper?
Sly is the eponymous raccoon thief protagonist of the Sly Cooper games, a series beginning on the Playstation 2 with Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus in 2002, with it's most recent installment (outside of the Playstation 3/Vita collection) being Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, released on the Playstation 3 in 2013. In these titles, you play as a member of Sly's band of thieves, the Cooper Gang, procuring high-value items from the hands of evil-doers. Sly's the latest in a long line of master thieves, and stealth is his specialty. That said, he and his cane are no stranger to fighting, having appeared in Playstation's shameless cash grab attempt at emulating Smash, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, even having a rivalry with fellow Playstation treasure hunter and Uncharted protagonist Nathan Drake. His games have received critical acclaim over the years, and are one of the most iconic series associated with the brand.

Wait a second - a Playstation character can't be in Smash!
While you're right that we've never had a Playstation owned character in the series to date, Sakurai has never made an official comment regarding the brand nor it's characters. Yeah, it'll likely never happen as unlike Microsoft and the Xbox brand, Playstation hasn't exactly been making the best efforts to coexist with the competition, but with that in mind, Sakurai's an actual wizard when it comes to negotiating fighters for his masterpieces, so who's to say it's impossible. You can't stop me from dreaming!

Why not Kratos then, when he's Playstation's poster boy?
Because I like Sly and his games better, silly. :p

Sly's Game Appearances:
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (2002 - PS2)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (2004 - PS2)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (2005 - PS2)
The Sly Collection (2010/2014 - PS3/PS Vita)
Playstation Move Heroes (PS3 - 2011)
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (2012 - PS3/PS Vita)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (2013 - PS3/PS Vita)

Why should Sly be in Smash Bros.?
Truth be told, even I don't believe Sly worthy enough to join the battle, one reason being the fact he's a Playstation character, and even among his fellow Playstation stars, Kratos, Nathan Drake, or Ratchet and Clank would likely get in first. That said, I absolutely adore the Sly series and it's my favorite of Playstation's franchises. Even if less so than others, it's still an iconic face to the brand, and I'd love to see it represented in Smash.

Moveset:
Most of Sly's standard attacks would rely on his trusty cane, as it's his main mode of attack and even mobility. Sly's incredibly agile and lightweight, as a thief should be, and he'd minimize his hitbox by standing hunched down, as if he was stealthily trying to infiltrate a location. In his home series, he can't swim, so like Inkling, Sonic, and the Fire Pokémon, he'd take damage while in water. Sly uses Shadow Power (Invisibility) when dodging. Sly should be a trickster first and foremost, as it's a major part of his personality and playstyle in his home series. All of Sly's special moves are based on the gadgets he can use in his home series:
Neutral Special: Alarm Clock - Sly tosses an alarm clock forward, which detonates on impact. Unlike the rest of his specials, this only has this function in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.
Side Special: Knockout Dive - Sly leaps forward, spinning his cane rapidly, dealing multiple small hits with low knockback. If at least half of the hits connect, the opponent will be stunned for a short duration. Each hit only does 1 damage, but it can lead to a follow up Smash attack. Each successive use shortens the stun time signifigantly, so it can't be spammed.
Up Special: Rocket Boots - Sly utilizes rocket boots to jet upward. At the end of the move, Sly will deploy his paraglider, and can use it to move forward slowly, similar to Mr. Game & Watch's parachute.
Down Special: Music Box - Sly tosses a music box out forward a short distance, which opens when it hits the ground. Any opponent which steps in the box's immediate vicinity will be put to sleep, similar to Jigglypuff's Sing.
Final Smash: Cooper Rush - Sly's gang drives by in the Cooper van, picking him up and running over the enemy in the process. They then enter a cutscene of the Cooper van turning around to run over them once more, while Sly steals a randomly determined item from the enemy (that they were concealing.) Sly gives a cocky smile as he returns to the battlefield with an item in his hand.

Home Stage:
Paris Rooftops - A beautiful stage, taking place in the city of love, with the Eiffel Tower in front of the full moon in the background. The battle takes place in front of the sign on top of Dimitri's night club. It's a relatively simple stage, with a shorter building on either side. Falling into the streets isn't advised as two of Dimitri's guards patrol the foreground, and if they catch you in their flashlights, they'll head straight towards you and attack! And they pack quite a punch, combined with the fact that the streets only connect to the blast zone of the map, you'll likely be KO'd if you're caught!

Paris is an iconic recurring location in the Sly series, so it'd likely end up being his stage in Smash.

Sly's series icon is the emblem of his gang from the main Sly series.
Supporters:
Nerd Saga Nate
Idon
3DSNinja
Kaberman
RetrogamerMax
Ridrool64
Timbo8
FunAtParties
KirbyWorshipper2465
Voe
Lazyrex
DougEfresh
[Maple]
DanganZilla5

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Inb4 "But he's just another thief character!"

Anyways, I support. Very good stealth, puzzle, platformer whatever games.

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
Sly would be fun! Though it feels like having his stage take place in a real city makes it more dodgy? There isn't anything that says that's off limits but it feels off.

There's tons of fictional locations in Sly though, i'm partial to the skyship from Sly 2 myself.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If I had to choose any character to make their Nintendo debut in Smash Bros, it'd be Sly Cooper 10/10 times.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Sure, I liked Sly 1
Have you given Sly 2 a try? I'd say it's the series' best entry. Anyway, added you to the support list.

Sly would be fun! Though it feels like having his stage take place in a real city makes it more dodgy? There isn't anything that says that's off limits but it feels off.

There's tons of fictional locations in Sly though, i'm partial to the skyship from Sly 2 myself.
The reason I chose it specifically is because it's a major reccuring location in the Sly series, often being used as sort of a hub area or tutorial location. It's the only location which has appeared in every series entry to date. I mean, it's confirmed that locations like this exist in the worlds of Metal Gear, Bayonetta, and Street Fighter, it just so happens that those also happen to have more iconic locations to choose a stage from. Paris at night, colored in hues of purple and blue, has sort of become synonymous with the Sly brand. And in an effort to make it even more associated with the series, I specifically chose the top of Dimitri's night club as the main area of the stage.

Also, I added you to the support list.

I'm surprised that nobody didn't already make a thread for Sly. I support because we need more platforming bois. ;)
So was I! As a huge fan of the series, I'm honored to be the one to make it. Hope you don't mind that I added you to the support list!

If I had to choose any character to make their Nintendo debut in Smash Bros, it'd be Sly Cooper 10/10 times.
Same. I mean, yeah, Master Chief is far more iconic to gaming as a whole, and there are other Playstation reps who would realistically make more sense, but Sly's got a special place in my heart. I went ahead and added you to the support list.

If anyone has their own ideas on home stage, assist trophies, moveset, or whatever, feel free to share!

timbo8

Smash Cadet
sign me up for sly cooper and i get he has no chance or they raterh have crash or spyro but why go with the most underated series with sly cooper

timbo8

Smash Cadet
thanks i like better then crash or spyro underable why either of those two make but sly i would think easy to do since he was in playstion all stars

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I've noticed at least a few Sly movesets (of the few that include him) include the Silent Obliteration move as his down throw.

I have an interesting concept: what if that was Sly's main method of getting KO's? Instead of having one really stupid powerful move for knockback so he can make a huge ruckus and blow his cover, let's say at 150%, the Silent Obliteration move becomes an instant kill attack that opponents cannot survive. It would be mostly useless at first, with too low damage, knockback, or anything else to be useful before it hits 150%, then it suddenly becomes Sly's mission to grab opponents. I'm not sure how to incorporate pickpocketing, though: maybe that could be his grab?

Anyway, here's a rough list of good Spirit candidates: Bentley (Sly 2, Sly 3 version is an evolution), Murray, Carmelita, Clockwerk, The Guru, Penelope, The Panda King, Dimitri, Neyla, Dr. M, and Le Paradox (out of obligation). There's more, but DLC Spirit spots are tight. Let's say Sly gets 14 songs: 4 per trilogy game, and only 2 from Thieves in Time since I don't know that game's soundtrack well.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So, here are my developed Spirit ideas.

Bentley - Iggy Koopa (Bowser Jr.) @ Paris/Krakarov Volcano/Kaine Island (Sly's Stage) - Explosive items are common. Iggy likes to use Down Special. Plays "Bentley Comes Through". Bentley is a Grab Primary Advanced class in his Sly 2 incarnation, and can evolve into an Ace class that depicts him in his wheelchair. The evolved Bentley comes with Chance of Double Final Smash.

Murray - Pink King K. Rool @ Sly's Stage - King K. Rool likes to use Forward Smash and Down Smash. Murray is an Ace class Attack Primary Spirit with Fist Attack Up.

Carmelita - Blue Casual Zero Suit Samus @ Sly's Stage - Zero Suit Samus has a stronger Neutral Special she likes to use. Zero Suit Samus has a stronger Jump height. Plays "Main Theme (Sly Cooper)" [That is, the Title Theme/Prologue/Hideout music]. Carmelita is an Ace class Defense Primary Spirit with Jump Up.

Clockwerk - Falco @ Krakarov Volcano (or Norfair) - Falco is giant and metal for the duration of the match. Green Greninja (Sir Raleigh), Giant Wolf with a Super Scope (Muggshot), default Yoshi (Mz. Ruby), and purple fire-breathing Donkey Kong (Panda King) assist him before you fight Falco. Plays "A Strange Reunion". Clockwerk is a Legend class Spirit, and is a Neutral Primary Spirit who grants nothing.

The Guru - (Defense) Mewtwo @ Gerudo Valley - Mewtwo is tiny for the duration of the match. Mewtwo likes to use side and down specials. Plays "Hazard Room". The Guru is a Novice class Support Spirit with Ramblin' Evil Mushroom Equipped.

Penelope - (Grab) Wendy O. Koopa (Bowser Jr.) @ Pilotwings - Black Knight Assist Trophies spawn, as do Beetle and Galaga items. Wendy likes to use Down Special and tries to avoid combat. Plays "R.C. Attack". Penelope is an Advanced class Support Spirit with Irreversible Controls.

Panda King - (Attack) Purple Donkey Kong @ Summit - Donkey Kong breathes fire for the duration of the match. Explosive items are common. Plays "Flame-Fu". The Panda King is an Advanced class Support Spirit with Bury Immunity.

Dimitri - (Grab) Purple Yoshi @ Paris (or Pirate Ship) - If Pirate Ship, you can't swim. If Paris, take your strongest team into this no-frills battle. Plays "Greasy Sweet". Dimitri is a Novice class Support Spirit with Swimmer.

Neyla - (Attack) Purple Simon Belmont @ Halberd - After taking enough damage, Simon turns Metal and gets a jetpack. Simon's whip attacks and jumps are powered up. Plays "Clock-La Battle". Neyla is an Ace class Support Spirit with First-Strike Advantage.

Dr. M - (Defense) Red Olimar @ Kaine Island (or Final Destination, can't think of anywhere better) - Olimar occasionally becomes invincible, and he will charge up a Full-Power Final Smash. Plays "Final Battle (Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves)". Dr. M is a Legend class Support Spirit with the brand new "Super Final Smash Meter" skill, which makes you charge a full-power Final Smash through FS Meter.

Le Paradox - I got nothing. I put him there because he would be included. All I know is that his battle is grab and that he's a Novice spirit.

As for a music list...
  1. Main Theme (Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus) - New Remix
  2. Flame Fu - Original
  3. Bentley Comes Through - Original
  4. A Strange Reunion - New Remix
  5. Main Theme (Sly 2: Band of Thieves) - New Remix
  6. Dimitri's Disco Club - Original
  7. Carmelita's Dance - New Remix
  8. Clock-La Battle - Original
  9. Hazard Room - Original
  10. Vs. General Tsao (Bamboo) - New Remix
  11. R.C. Attack - Original
  12. Final Battle (Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves) - New Remix
  13. Sly 4 Song 1 (something distinctive that could easily be turned into a catchy beat)
  14. Sly 4 Song 2 (the one that can be associated with Le Paradox)
I think it might be obvious which games I have experience with and which one I don't.

Lastly, here's a Classic Route. The name is Band of Thieves, since it's based on Sly 2.

1. Purple Yoshi @ Paris/Fourside, plays Dimitri's Disco Club (The Black Chateau, Dimitri)
  2. Orange Zero Suit Samus @ Arena Ferox, plays Carmelita's Dance (A Starry Eyed Encounter, Carmelita)
  3. Orange Incineroar @ Kongo Falls (The Predator Awakes, Rajan)
  4. Giant R.O.B. @ Shadow Moses Island (Jailbreak, the giant attack robot disguised as a water tower)
  5. Blue Mewtwo @ Dracula's Castle (A Tangled Web, closest thing to Contessa I could think up)
  6. Bonus Game (He Who Tames The Iron Horse, the train chases)
  7. Red Donkey Kong holding Death's Scythe @ Summit (Menace From The North, eh!, Jean Bison)
  8. New Boss: Clockwerk @ Krakarov Volcano (Anatomy For Disaster, Clock-la)
    1. Should it need to be an old boss, Galleom would suffice.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I had a godly revelation a while ago.

Bentley and Murray would also be incredible to have in Smash, considering I can easily create movesets for them no sweat (it'd also give Smash its first paraplegic fighter), but while Sly's the one who'd get in... what if, all 3 of the main Cooper Gang trio were playable in one moveset, like Pokémon Trainer?

Sly focuses on racking up damage and the one who's kinda light (let's say Diddy level), Bentley is the one who sets up enemies to get caught in traps and a little heavier than Bowser Jr., and The Murray is a walking, talking finisher who ranks in the top 5 heaviest characters.

For Specials, I had Sly with a set of Insanity Strike/Alarm Clock/Mega Jump (or Feral Pounce) + Paraglider/Decoy/Recon Sly and His Targets, but Bentley could bring Trigger Bomb/Sleep Dart/Hover Pack/Size Destabilizer/Mega Health Extractor and Murray could have Fists of Flame/Guttural Roar/Turnbuckle Launch/Aboriginal Ball Form/Cooper Van Crash (or Temporal Lock). Switching between them would be a shield special like Ink Recharge, and also happen on each's death like Pokémon Trainer. Cooper Van Crash could be shared between the three of them.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
RRRGH IT'S MISSING SLY

YAY CRASH IS THERE BUT SLYYYYYYYY HE WAS MY MAIIIIN FUUUUUUUUUUUUU--oh wait, it's just a rumor. And even then, that'd be some **** if they cut Sly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I could see Sony completely missing the point about things. PSASBR had some questionable picks itself, outside of some third-parties' decisions and concessions (I don't think anyone can defend Zeus, in particular).

Edit: False alarm, it was just random post on /v/ from a possible fake leaker. https://twitter.com/AllStarsRound2/status/1169181637763985408

Last edited:

ChickenVanilla

Smash Rookie
As much as I would love this to happen, as the original Sly Cooper Trilogy are my favorite games along with Smash, I think if they release the animated television series (Which was supposed to debut last month) it would very severely cut his chances of getting into Smash. This is mainly because of the targeted age group which was predicted to be around 6-10 years old. Sure Sonic had his kids show but he also had a much larger fanbase. And though the show might have been canceled as it has not been released as of November 3rd, 2019 when it was supposed to debut sometime last month, this gives us hope that the show will not come out, but also fear, considering the franchise had been trying to release a movie and a show but canceled both which might signify the death of the franchise. So while I would love it to happen, I do not believe Sly Cooper will be in smash; At least not in this game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
As much as I would love this to happen, as the original Sly Cooper Trilogy are my favorite games along with Smash, I think if they release the animated television series (Which was supposed to debut last month) it would very severely cut his chances of getting into Smash. This is mainly because of the targeted age group which was predicted to be around 6-10 years old. Sure Sonic had his kids show but he also had a much larger fanbase. And though the show might have been canceled as it has not been released as of November 3rd, 2019 when it was supposed to debut sometime last month, this gives us hope that the show will not come out, but also fear, considering the franchise had been trying to release a movie and a show but canceled both which might signify the death of the franchise. So while I would love it to happen, I do not believe Sly Cooper will be in smash; At least not in this game.
Well obviously Sly will never be in Smash, he's a Playstation exclusive character, but why in the world would you think a TV show would have anything to do with that? TV shows are handled by a completely different team then the games, and on top of that since when has relevancy been important to Sakurai?

:ultbanjokazooie::ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultkrool::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultness::ultrob::ultroy::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultyounglink:

I'm sure all of these characters would love to know about relevancy.

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
This is only my second post here on Smashboards, but I've been a lurker for a while and stumbled across this thread some time ago. If there's any Sony character I want to join smash bros first, it's Sly! It's pretty much a pipe dream, but a lot of us said that about Banjo & Kazooie and here we are so ya never know. Please add me to the support list!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
This is only my second post here on Smashboards, but I've been a lurker for a while and stumbled across this thread some time ago. If there's any Sony character I want to join smash bros first, it's Sly! It's pretty much a pipe dream, but a lot of us said that about Banjo & Kazooie and here we are so ya never know. Please add me to the support list!
Done and done.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Surprised I didn't post on this thread before. I support, Sly Cooper is my favorite Sony's franchise. My first choice for a Sony rep.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sign me up! I have fond memories of the Sly Cooper games. Sly would fit right in and he would have a great moveset, stage, and music. The music in particular is very nostalgic for me and is what gives the series its identity.

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
With how things have gone, Sly's chances rise although I think 'Paris Rooftops' sadly wouldn't work as well since Nintendo has yet to add a stage that is 'actual place in the world and not a video game'

To which I counter that Kaine Island, the set piece of the Tutorial and Final level of Sly 3 where you follow along the set piece of the others breaking into the Cooper Vault would perhaps be a better fit for things.

Top Bottom