• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slime is Good to goo! Here to cheer up your favorite DQ heroes!

smash puffle

Smash Ace

What is this thing?
This is a Slime enemy from the Dragon Quest franchise. Ever since their first appereance in the very first title in 1986 as the most common enemy, soon enough, they became the series mascot and most iconic enemies appearing in every single game in the series ever released.
They're so popular in fact, that Square Enix made they're own trilogy of games, for the GBA, DS and 3DS respectively. These games star a blue Slime named Rocket, who goes on a journey to save all of his slime friends from a platypus like gang.

Why should he be in Smash? Why a slime to represent the series?
Dragon Quest is arguably the most influential RPG franchise, and the most popular in Japan. This has been explained before in other DQ support threads.
Since Cloud is back in Ultimate, there's a chance for a DQ character to join the roster.
Now... why a slime enemy instead of a main character?
As I said before, slimes are the mascot of the whole franchise, so why not? My personal problem with a main character is that there's SO MANY mainline games now that the main hero of a game is left forgotten or he/she is not too memorable or super unique. The slimes have consistently appeared in every single game, and they're design is so simple and iconic, that they're probably made the series distinguishable from the other RPGs out there in the West.
Another thing, let's look at Pikachu. Pikachu is a species of Pokémon, but they're the mascot of the franchise and they're in Smash even though they're not individual characters. Why not the slimes? I mean, they're Dragon Quest's mascot after all so why not do the same for this franchise? You know what I mean?
If not then, we have Rocket. He's the main character of his own trilogy of games, and looks just like a regular slime enemy, which are the series mascot, so I don't see the problem.

How would he play in Smash?
Rocket in particular has a lot of options at his disposal. His games have him stretching out and launching at high speeds. He can grab objects and throw them at enemies.
He also could represent every slime type possible, since there's alot of slime types and species.
He could shift into another type of slime briefly to represent them as much as possible.
His Final Smash could use a special flute he gets in one of his games to call a legendary moving tank-castle-mech thing where he could throw a bunch of explosives at his foes.

How to support:
You can tell you want to support him of course. That's enough for me. If you really want to though, you can come up with a moveset for him. Support icons and other misc stuff are welcome too.
Feel free to support this little guy if you want to. As well you're also free to not support him, I will understand.
As well I would also appreciate if you were nice... just saying.

Movesets:
Moveset made by Brawl in the Family creator, Matthew Taranto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp3OSVNk6RQ

Stock Icon:
By sam☆jam

Supporter List:
Supporters so far:
smash puffle (me)
SquashiniKun
Arcadenik
DarthEnderX
sam☆jam
SEGAGameBoy
josh bones
Vingag
zferolie
TheCJBrine
FooltheFlames
Chinderblock
AustarusIV
NineS
TriforceBun (BitF creator)
Autumn Breeze
SolMerse
SupriceSupplies
Lunacial
ryuu seika
shinhed-echi
Gran-Rojo
Ridrool64 (kinda)
liquidmetalslime
Jasae Bushae
Untouch
Masked Marshmallow
shocktarts17
GamerGuy09
DaxMasterix
Rangez
Wunderwaft
Beth Uriel
Hollywoodrok12

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
If we were ever to get a second Square Enix rep, i feel like Slime (or any Dragon Quest character for that matter) would be a very good choice, he would represent the Enix side of SE, and the Dragon Quest series is indeed a very influential RPG series, so i'm gonna support this!

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I've thrown around Slime as an idea before, but I think Erdrick might actually be a better choice.

> https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Erdrick This guy

Dragon Quest is most popular in Japan and Dragon Quest III is the most popular Dragon Quest game there. I've heard that Dragon Quest III is probably the most influential JRPG of all time in Japan and is basically responsible for codifying the genre. I can't say that for certain, but if the only 4 games most people in Japan know are Super Mario Bros., Dragon Quest III, Pokemon Red and Green, and Puzzle & Dragons, including Erdrick in Super Smash Bros. seems like a no brainer.

Erdrick also tends to... you know, do more in the Dragon Quest series. As far as I'm aware, in most Dragon Quest games, all the Slime does is make basic attacks and merge together to form a Slime Stack and a King Slime. You could definitely come up with a moveset for him, given that in some games Slimes do a lot more (and that's not even getting into all of the different types of slimes!) but Erdrick has being generally more dynamic as something going for him, at least.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Oh, ok. So this Erdrick fellow could be a good pick to represent the series... but.
I'm not so sure. From what I read, he's mostly a sword user with magic spells... in terms of movesets, that isn't really unique or interesting to me for a character since we have so many sword fighters already, and we already have a sword character with magic spells (Robin), so I don't see him being different from the other characters, I think the slime is a bit more unique and could stand out more in terms of its moveset.
But that's just my opinion on the matter anyway. I could be wrong though, since I'm not too familiar with the games he's in,

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Oh, ok. So this Erdrick fellow could be a good pick to represent the series... but.
I'm not so sure. From what I read, he's mostly a sword user with magic spells... in terms of movesets, that isn't really unique or interesting to me for a character since we have so many sword fighters already, and we already have a sword character with magic spells (Robin), so I don't see him being different from the other characters, I think the slime is a bit more unique and could stand out more in terms of its moveset.
But that's just my opinion on the matter anyway. I could be wrong though, since I'm not too familiar with the games he's in,
He's more or less a sword user with magic spells, yeah, but he'd still be different from Robin since he casts magic himself instead of using a tome. Also the spells that he would use would be different from any other character, since they'd be Dragon Quest spells, and he'd fill a unique niche in Super Smash Bros. as a sword and shield user. Link has a sword and a shield but he uses a ton of other weapons.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I'm still not convinced for this guy, sorry. You might want to make a thread for him to explain how would he play.
You're welcome to support Slime AND Erdrick if you want to.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support Slime.

Slime
Dragon Warrior
Eight (hero from Dragon Quest VIII)
Erdrick

They are all good choices and I like these four choices the best.

I am biased toward Eight since Dragon Quest VIII was my first Dragon Quest game... and because it was the first game to be titled "Dragon Quest" in the West... and because it was the first 3D Dragon Quest game.

I think Dragon Quest deserves a character. Just like Castlevania, Dragon Quest has a long history with Nintendo dating back to the NES.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd also rather have Erdrick as the playable DQ rep(you can tell Goku fans that he's Sword Goku) and Slime as an Assist Trophy. But Slime as playable would be fine too.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Dragon Quest X for my Wii U. I support!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Bleh. 10 is the MMO. It's not going to give you a very good idea of what the series is like.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I support slime. He's a really cool character, and he fit well with nintendo characters in the past.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I should have put in my support long ago. Slime is the mascot of a long-running series and is quite a popular icon in Japan, not to mention the massive amounts of moveset potential!

If it's not too late, go ahead and add me to the list!

zferolie

Smash Hero
No posts here since August really?

Well, sign me up as a smile supporter. While Geno seems to be a sure thing, in many peoples eyes, I am starting to have doubts. Yeah he's popular, but if SE has any say, why would the put Geno in over the most popular franchise they own, Dragon quest? And slime is considered the most popular monster in all of video games. a true gaming icon. He should be in smash.

And the thing that sold me is Brawl in the families moveset for him. I would only swap the smash and up tilt, as that stab feels more like an up tilt and a slime stack sounds like a perfect up smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have to say, Dragon Quest deserves a character.

I know no series 'deserves' anything to some people, but its the second largest video game franchise ever which has yet to get a character (the first being Space Invaders).

That said, I hope Dragon Quest has some unique mechanics to add to Smash. I have never played.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly my favorite option. I feel it is perfect for representing more than just the Hero Class/playable protagonist in the general games. It represents the monsters and various spell options as well. Though I feel it should be more based around Dragon Quest Monsters, which it's the hard mascot of. It's the mascot of the series in general too, but its role is huge here compared to just another well-known monster. There's also Rocket Slime. In fact, I don't think any character besides Slime has starring roles in their own games, or a mascot of their own spin-offs.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Slime is one of those characters who I probably wouldn't play as very much, but would immensely love to have in regardless due to loving their series. Dragon Quest is definitely one of my favorite RPG franchises out there.

I know Terra is my preferred Square Enix newcomer, but if we were to get anyone else next instead, I'd have absolutely no problem with Slime whatsoever.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think one of the biggest issues for a Dragon Quest rep is the popularity of the series in the west, the third party characters have been relevant worldwide.
The thing is, Slime as a character is recognizable worldwide even if you aren't too familiar with the franchise, the character is referenced in so many parts of media that it can carry itself. I think that's why Slime has a higher chance than Erdrick or 8's MC.

Starting in around 2015 SE has been really trying to push DQ into the west, and I have to wonder if this has something to do with it...

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I really want Geno, but I like Slime too. Slime is cooler than Sora at least! If our new SquareEnix character is not Geno, let it be Slime and not another FF character or Sora. I support Slime! Put me down on the list plz~

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sora has no chance thanks to being partly owned by Disney. Nintendo is not going to want to work with 2 companies on rights for 1 character

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I suppose since I made a whole video about this character, I should throw in my official support in the thread too! Would love to see Slime, of course, although I'd be extremely excited about any DQ representation, really. It's a great series and would be amazing in Smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
OK fellow slime fans, I think with Pirahna Plant being shown common enemies are possible for becoming smash fighters, I think its safe to say our little slime has a very strong chance at being the new SE rep for smash brothers.

Look, Geno is popular, and so is Sora, but Slime is representing the biggest JRPG series of all time in japan. It started on Nintendo, basically birthed the JRPG genre, and its so odd that it has no representation in this massive love letter to games.

Dragon quests biggest hurdle was that its most reconizable character was a common enemy, and non of its main heroes are cloud level of popularity. That issues is gone now, and I feel its Slimes time to shine.

TriforceBun TriforceBun maybe we can see or get an update to your moveset? Anything you would like to update to charge, or still think its good?

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Ok, I'll be honest with you guys... As cool as Slime could be, I still want Geno a 100 times more than him. Thing is Slime's chances have grown so significantly it's insane. I seriously don't know what to think about this anymore.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Vergeben has been talking about sources that have been saying that there are hints that the 2nd square rep is from Dragon Quest.

Although I don't care much for Slime because I don't know much about it... I'm comin out and saying I think he's in the game. It's probably going to happen.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Vergeben has been talking about sources that have been saying that there are hints that the 2nd square rep is from Dragon Quest.

Although I don't care much for Slime because I don't know much about it... I'm comin out and saying I think he's in the game. It's probably going to happen.
I'm.... hoping the first one is Geno.

NineS

Smash Lord
The first one was Cloud. I think they're really picking Slime over Geno for the 2nd Square Rep.
I could live with that.
I'd honestly die of happiness.

He's my most wanted character, aside from any of the NieR/Drakengard characters.

I have so much nostalgia for the Slime.

If it comes at the cost of Geno, so be it. I'll feel bad for the people who really want Geno in, I'm rooting for him just to see how happy it'd make people.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I think the Geno fanbase is not nearly as large or vocal as it is in Smash circles. I'd be surprised to see Nintendo choose a side character from a single, 25-year-old game over representing a series as large as DQ. But Geno does have a couple things going for him--Sakurai likes the idea of the character in Smash, and it's possible that his rights are easier to negotiate than DQ's (especially since he's already been a Mii costume). I certainly hope this rumored SE rep is a DQ one, but it's impossible to say for sure right now.

OK fellow slime fans, I think with Pirahna Plant being shown common enemies are possible for becoming smash fighters, I think its safe to say our little slime has a very strong chance at being the new SE rep for smash brothers.

Look, Geno is popular, and so is Sora, but Slime is representing the biggest JRPG series of all time in japan. It started on Nintendo, basically birthed the JRPG genre, and its so odd that it has no representation in this massive love letter to games.

Dragon quests biggest hurdle was that its most reconizable character was a common enemy, and non of its main heroes are cloud level of popularity. That issues is gone now, and I feel its Slimes time to shine.

TriforceBun TriforceBun maybe we can see or get an update to your moveset? Anything you would like to update to charge, or still think its good?
I don't have any other specific ideas, but I'd basically be happy with Slime's moves being pulled from DQ history. Heck, I'd be happy with Slime, period (or any DQ character, really!).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the Geno fanbase is not nearly as large or vocal as it is in Smash circles.
It absolutely isn't.

Don't get me wrong. People who played Super Mario RPG love Geno, but that's not really a ton of people in this day and age. Geno is just one of those characters that, for some reason, the Smash community has just latched onto, that people outside of Smash don't really care that much about, or barely even remember. Like Isaac.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
It absolutely isn't.

Don't get me wrong. People who played Super Mario RPG love Geno, but that's not really a ton of people in this day and age. Geno is just one of those characters that, for some reason, the Smash community has just latched onto, that people outside of Smash don't really care that much about, or barely even remember. Like Isaac.
Well, you could say that about ANY Dragon Quest human protagonist.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, you could say that about ANY Dragon Quest human protagonist.
Well, no. Because DQ protags DON'T have a lot of support in the Smash community.

You could certainly say any individual protagonist is as obscure as Geno or Isaac outside of Smash. But only really in NA. DQ is WAY bigger than Golden Sun or SMRPG in Japan.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One of Slime's two obstacles, the "generic species can't be in Smash" argument, is gone. :ultpiranha:

But Slime still has to deal with the "how would it fight without limbs in Smash" argument. :ohwell:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One of Slime's two obstacles, the "generic species can't be in Smash" argument, is gone.
It IS gone, but given the reception to the character that got rid of it, maybe that's not a great thing. Perhaps the argument has simply become "generic species SHOULDN'T be in Smash" instead of can't.

But Slime still has to deal with the "how would it fight without limbs in Smash" argument.
To be fair, Piranha Plant kinda kills that argument as well.

NineS

Smash Lord
It IS gone, but given the reception to the character that got rid of it, maybe that's not a great thing. Perhaps the argument has simply become "generic species SHOULDN'T be in Smash" instead of can't.

To be fair, Piranha Plant kinda kills that argument as well.
Truthfully, I don't see why a member of a species cannot be in Smash. Slime representing Dragon Quest is an awful lot more like Pikachu or Jigglypuff representing Pokemon, than it is Piranha plant representing Mario.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Truthfully, I don't see why a member of a species cannot be in Smash. Slime representing Dragon Quest is an awful lot more like Pikachu or Jigglypuff representing Pokemon, than it is Piranha plant representing Mario.
Fair enough.

Though, even though they technically aren't, Pikachu and Jigglypuff always felt like they were meant to be the ones from the anime. Those are actual characters.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Fair enough.

Though, even though they technically aren't, Pikachu and Jigglypuff always felt like they were meant to be the ones from the anime. Those are actual characters.
Good point. Though, if you wanted to point to a Slime that was a specific character. . .
Square Enix already has a few games with A Slime for it's main character, going as far back as for the Gameboy Advance. I won't deny that these games aren't very well known or as popular here, though. We've only received a single one of these games, being the one for the DS, which was received shockingly well over here. They have a Slime character, granted, it's not a big one. The Slimes themselves though are massively iconic.

They also have plenty of crossovers with Mario, but you probably already knew that, with Fortune Street, and Sports Mix.​

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
But Slime still has to deal with the "how would it fight without limbs in Smash" argument.
You can also look at the game series above with Rocket the slime to "answer" this argument, although really if people are going to this argument it seems to me like they're just trying to come up with reasons not to include Slime for some reason. If Sakurai and the development team want to include a character they will find a way to include that character and come up with an interesting and balanced moveset for them.

Speculator

Smash Ace
A top DLC choice that I think people will seriously sleep on. Dragon Quest is to JRPGs what Street Fighter is to tournament fighters, and Slime is so iconic to the series that it's practically the logo. Sakurai recently made the case for Piranha Plant ("If you think about it, there isn't anyone who doesn't know Piranha Plant") and that is absolutely the case for Slime as well. Among the Japanese public I would say a solid 90% could recognize Slime at a glance. It's that famous.

Being a generic enemy is no longer a strike against it. It has 25 years worth of moveset potential in incarnations such as Slime Knight, King Slime, Rocket Slime as well as other nonspecific Dragon Quest references. Keep an eye on Slime, I think it's indisputably a top contender.

Last edited:
Top Bottom