• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slime is Good to goo! Here to cheer up your favorite DQ heroes!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not really. Piranha Plant at least has leaves that substitute for limbs. What does Slime have that could work as limbs?
If you look at the video in the first post done by the Brawl comic guy, you can see a potential moveset. Like Slimes can stretch and stuff, plus how PP changes its type of plant with the poison, and references other plant types in the series, slime can do that too. Like can turn liquidy for an attack, or summopn a puppet knight on its head for one of its smashes, ir pull out tentacles like heal slimes.

NineS

Smash Lord
Not really. Piranha Plant at least has leaves that substitute for limbs. What does Slime have that could work as limbs?
You know how the Piranha plant turned into all sorts of different types of Piranha plants for his moves? The slime could do that with the abundance of types of slimes.
Plus, you know, like Ender said. Their body is liquid and gelatinous, so they can change shape, stretch, sling themselves into others, etc.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest, I have no exerience with the Dragon Quest.
...Except for Rocket Slime on the DS.
It's been ages since I played it, probably a decade ago, but it's got a lot of nostalgic value to me. I never really considered Slime a prime smash candidate, but recent rumours and the like have made me consider its chances for real, and I'd be more than down for the blobs inclusion.
Part of me hopes that, if it gets in, it'll be (named) Rocket, but I don't see it happening. Still, if we can see some Rocket inspired moves, I'll be more than content.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So LeakyPandy, who i admit isn't always right, is still saying that we should see smash DLC info at the game awards this year.

And with Vergeben saying the first DLC character will be a SE character, we should be able to see which character will be repping. I am still bettiung and pulling hard for slime, as it just makes the most sense. Geno may be more popular in the smash community, but the significance of the dragon quest series for video games media is too much to ignore.

Got to wonder what its stage would be though.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I really should've posted here earlier, I'd love to see a Dragon Quest character get in! I think it's decently likely, considering how Vergeben is saying that the Square rep is either the 1st or 5th DLC character, and if it's the 1st I think it'll be at the VG Awards, and most likely a DQ rep. Since we know Dragon Quest XI is coming to Switch, we could get a release date announced there, and after that a DQ character (Slime or Erdrick I think) would be announced as DLC, to get more interest for Dragon Quest XI on switch. I don't think it'd be Geno, since Geno is not big at all outside of the smash fanbase, as Ender said earlier. I don't think Geno would be announced at the VG Awards, if my theory is true, because that wouldn't get people who aren't already interested in Smash interested in Smash, since no one cares about Geno outside of the Smash fanbase. I could see Sora, as unlike Geno he would get people interested in Ultimate who weren't already, considering that Kingdom Hearts is pretty popular and well known globally. Dragon Quest on the other hand isn't, but it is HUGE in Japan, and Square has said that they want Dragon Quest to be big in the West as well, and what better way to do that than to put a Dragon Quest character in Smash, at one of the most popular video game related events ever? I don't wanna get myself super excited and disappointed if a DQ character doesn't get in, but I just think the chances are looking kinda good is all.

Sorry for the long post, TL;DR Vergeben thinks a SE character will be the first or fifth announced, and if its the first it may be at the VG Awards, and Geno isn't popular enough outside of Smash, Sora is kinda likely, but Nomura said KH 3 wouldnt be on Switch so it wouldn't boost sales, and DQ XI is coming out on Switch, so it'd boost interest if a DQ rep was announced

Got to wonder what its stage would be though.
Why not the Dragonlord's castle? There could be cameos of other Dragon Quest monsters, kinda similar to the Pokémon in the Kalos Pokémon League.
That, or a stage like Skyloft, where it goes through big locations in Alefgard?

Definitely add me to the supporters list, Slime has my 100% support!

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Somehow after receiving almost no coverage during talks for the base roster, Slime finds his way near the top of the likely candidates for DLC. I am now a supporter for his cause to become the Dragon Quest rep, and feel like he has a really good shot to represent a very large, unrepresented franchise. If not a fighter, than a spirit. Fighter is very possible though. Support.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Somehow after receiving almost no coverage during talks for the base roster, Slime finds his way near the top of the likely candidates for DLC.
I'm guessing it's a combination of people still believe Verg's statement that another SquareEnix rep is coming, and many no longer thing Geno is going to be playable, and Sora has the complications with Disney.

So, barring having a second FF rep, a DQ rep sorta jumps to the top of the list.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not sure why I never bumped into this thread before.

I'm all up for any DQ character, wether it's the legendary hero, or the humblest of Slimes.
So count me in as a supporter for this Gooreat and iconic character.

If there's one constant when it comes to Slime supporters, they always have a really creative moveset!

I think 2 factors make Slime a better candidate now more than ever, although it's already been mentioned before. The case of Piranha Plant, and the case of Nintendo hand-picking their final 5.

Not to mention the Vergeben prediction where there'll be a Square Enix character, aligned with the possibility of it being presented at the VGA, I feel DQ gathers the most points to have a character.

Not getting my hopes TOO high in general, because I JUST got burned, so I'm merely cautiously optimistic.
But I support. I support very much.

I mean, this crossover needs to happen again in Smash.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I'm guessing it's a combination of people still believe Verg's statement that another SquareEnix rep is coming, and many no longer thing Geno is going to be playable, and Sora has the complications with Disney.

So, barring having a second FF rep, a DQ rep sorta jumps to the top of the list.
Yeah, you summed it up perfectly. I couldn't of said it any better.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I've always felt that a DQ rep has been one of the most slept on choices for a smash character due to its insane popularity in Japan. I think the main reason we haven't received one is because it is difficult to determine if slime or one of the heroes should be playable. I personally believe that slime should be the playable representative as he is the most recognizable character in DQ, and has the most potential for an interesting moveset that properly represents DQ.

I see slime as a character that mostly draws off the Rocket Slime game for his moveset. In this game, slime (or Rocket, as he was named in this game) had to depend on picking up things to attack his opponents. The only attack he had when he did not pick up an object was to stretch himself and hit his enemies, which could be his side b and work the same way in Ultimate. This is why I feel that his neutral b should be picking up a random monster (out of 3: knight, platypunk, and dracky) to actually give him a way to attack. In Rocket Slime, when slime picked up a knight, he essentially became a slime knight and was able to attack with a sword.

Since he lacks limbs, I feel that he should play like Olimar and revolve around his neutral b. Without a monster on his back, slime cannot attack with most aerials and tilts, just like Olimar. However, depending on the monster slime has on his back, his aerials and tilts can be affected accordingly. For example, the knight can give him short range but powerful tilts and aerials, while the platypunk can give him longer range but weaker tilts and aerials, and the dracky would be somewhere in between. Maybe the neutral b can stack just like in Rocket Slime (with 3 monsters on slime's back) but only the one on the bottom is active. This way, the player can see which monster they have next if their opponent knocks off the current monster on their head after a certain amount of hits. Down b can work as a throw to get rid of the monster that slime currently has on his head. This move can work as a projectile and way to cycle to a monster that could have better aerials for the situation. Up b can be chimera wing or cannon, and the distance can be affected by the monster active on his head (knight being the shortest, platypunk being mid, and dracky being the best recovery).

TL;DR: Slime should reflect his moveset in Rocket Slime, which would play similarly to Olimar.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I kinda support, but to be honest, it's only because of Fortune Street Wii.

If a Slime were to be revealed, I hope this song makes it in. Also, if his tagline isn't "(A) Slime Draws Near!" then it'll be the biggest missed opportunity in Smash Bros. Reveal Trailer history.

D

Deleted member

I think people really sleep on Dragon Quest's potential to get a newcomer. It basically invented the JRPG genre and consistently does gangbusters domestically.
That said, in case my name and icon don't make it obvious... count me in!

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I honestly feel that the biggest barrier to DQ getting into Smash at this point would be Square-Enix themselves. Based on the ridiculously limited amount of content Final Fantasy got (and factoring in Sugiyama being extremely protective of his compositions), I fear that DQ might not be in the cards because of a bunch of bureaucratic red tape.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I honestly feel that the biggest barrier to DQ getting into Smash at this point would be Square-Enix themselves. Based on the ridiculously limited amount of content Final Fantasy got (and factoring in Sugiyama being extremely protective of his compositions), I fear that DQ might not be in the cards because of a bunch of bureaucratic red tape.
that is the biggest thing against slime right now, I have been hearing more and more about how... jerkish that guy is about non-japanese people, and from what I have heard thats why western releases of the game only got MIDI's and not the actual orchestra.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
that is the biggest thing against slime right now, I have been hearing more and more about how... jerkish that guy is about non-japanese people, and from what I have heard thats why western releases of the game only got MIDI's and not the actual orchestra.
I wonder if they just wouldn't have much music, or music from other SE games? I mean Cloud only has two songs himself.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Him being jerkish about non-Japanese doesn't really effect the music. The eastern releases don't have the orchestra versions of the music either.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Him being jerkish about non-Japanese doesn't really effect the music. The eastern releases don't have the orchestra versions of the music either.
Ah, I must have misheard that. I thought he didn't allow the western versions the music. Scratch that thing.

But yeah I still see getting music from him very difficult

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ah, I must have misheard that. I thought he didn't allow the western versions the music. Scratch that thing.
In fact, with DQ8 it was the opposite. The original Japanese release had the midi version, and when they released in in NA, not only did they add all the voice acting, but they switching the music over to the orchestral track.

It basically just boils down to the fact that the people that make DQ are SUPER old fashioned. And SE's NA side has to pull teeth to get them to do something in a more modern way.

But also, yeah, the composer is racist. But that doesn't effect the game's musical choices.

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
Slime is a character I would certainly love to see in Smash. While there are numerous protagonists across the series who are arguably more popular such as Yangus, Alena, and Erdrick, the Slime is easily the mascot of the series who serves as its most iconic figure.

Plus Mathew Tarrantos video was really compelling for a moveset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp3OSVNk6RQ

Honestly I think the biggest advantage that Slime would have is viability in terms of gameplay. While some people are skeptical of the Slime for its lack of limbs, it has a huge advantage in that it is unlike any other character and would offer something wholly original in alot of ways.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Slime is a character I would certainly love to see in Smash. While there are numerous protagonists across the series who are arguably more popular such as Yangus, Alena, and Erdrick, the Slime is easily the mascot of the series who serves as its most iconic figure.

Plus Mathew Tarrantos video was really compelling for a moveset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp3OSVNk6RQ

Honestly I think the biggest advantage that Slime would have is viability in terms of gameplay. While some people are skeptical of the Slime for its lack of limbs, it has a huge advantage in that it is unlike any other character and would offer something wholly original in alot of ways.
I feel like Piranha plant pretty much blew away any argument about lack of limes or anything. Slime can easily mold its body a but around to attack, al do what Mathew says in that video

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What about spawning other monsters to use instead of limbs?

Like for example, to grab ítems such as the Beam saber, Dracky could function as a hand.

Platypunk and Dracky are usually very close to Slime.

Muddyhand could be the grab command. Spawning a second one to pummel the opponent.

Last edited:

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
What about spawning other monsters to use instead of limbs?

Like for example, to grab ítems such as the Beam saber, Dracky could function as a hand.

Platypunk and Dracky are usually very close to Slime.

Muddyhand could be the grab command. Spawning a second one to pummel the opponent.
Ooh, i'd never thought of that, that's an amazing idea though! For the grab/pummel, i was thinking of the Knight Puppet that the Slime Knight uses, and it would grab the opponent and could throw them or use its swords for pummeling, but the idea of summoning other monsters would be cool, and I'd love to see some of the other Dragon Quest monsters in smash in some way and that sounds like a great way to do it! Maybe they could be in some of Slime's taunts as well? like some other type of slime or a hamerhood show up in one of his taunts for instance, and they do some cute little interaction lol

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
With the most recent datamine, it was shown that the new character is short and relatively fast. I really hope it turns out to be Slime.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Even though I've never played a Dragonquest game, I did sure play the hell out of Rocket Slime on the DS. So I'm in full support for Slime in Smash!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

According to this video it shows how the "Brave" character moves around. Noticeably the way he skids on the ground is something a swordsman would not likely have. So I think that quality fits Slime to a T.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Okay I've been looking into this stuff a bunch since the data came out and I really think it all points to Slime. Here we go, starting with the data stuff that we know for sure.
  1. The character has a lower height. According to another user that represents how many times they were scaled. There were several reasons why a character would have a low number here but one of them was that they were short and fat and had to be scaled accordingly, Slime would fit here.
  2. The character has a low traction stop. This is a weird aspect that isn't seen often so they wouldn't add it for no reason, Slime would explain the low traction.
  3. The character fits a slow and somewhat heavy zoner. Slime has magic and is on the plump size while being made of goo so he would be heavier than puffballs Kirby and Jigglypuff.
  4. The code name is Brave. Joker's code is Jack which probably is a reference to Atlus' mascot Jack Frost. Following that same logic the Brave title referencing Dragon Quest's mascot class Hero like everyone thinks would make it work for anyone from the Dragon Quest series, not just Erdrick. This also has an added benefit that I'll get to later when I get to the more speculative stuff.
  5. Slime was selected in the past as the Dragon Quest representative in Mario games and would be someone the more casual fans are more likely to recognize for that reason.
Okay so now on to the more speculative stuff.
  1. Sakurai has stated he was worried about too much Fire Emblem stuff, while this doesn't directly affect Erdrick Fire Emblem does have a lot of sword wielding anime looking guys and Erdrick could get too close to that for comfort when another possible Dragon Quest fighter exists.
  2. The constant leaking of Erdrick could be similar to Chrom in Smash 4 where he has game files because he exists as part of Slime's final smash or victory poses. This would explain why so many people are hearing Erdrick because he would technically be in the game.
  3. To add onto that previous point, if SE or Nintendo were truly trying to "leakbait" like some people have suggested Erdrick would be the perfect leakbait for Slime because he does raise awareness of the series and helps to build hype while not being the actual character. He would also fit the Brave code name super well which would be an added bonus to both the reasoning for the code name and his leaking. And if hes in the game in the victory animation they might be hoping that plus Slime being in would be enough to appease the Dragon Quest fans they might be ticking off by teasing Erdrick.
I don't know if any of this truly matters or if its all baseless speculation and coincidence but personally it's enough for me to feel comfortable saying that I see it being 50/50 for Erdrick or Slime.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
  1. The constant leaking of Erdrick could be similar to Chrom in Smash 4 where he has game files because he exists as part of Slime's final smash or victory poses. This would explain why so many people are hearing Erdrick because he would technically be in the game.
  2. To add onto that previous point, if SE or Nintendo were truly trying to "leakbait" like some people have suggested Erdrick would be the perfect leakbait for Slime because he does raise awareness of the series and helps to build hype while not being the actual character. He would also fit the Brave code name super well which would be an added bonus to both the reasoning for the code name and his leaking. And if hes in the game in the victory animation they might be hoping that plus Slime being in would be enough to appease the Dragon Quest fans they might be ticking off by teasing Erdrick.
I'm not entirely sure about this. One one hand, it would represent Erdrick in some way at least, but on the other... It wouldn't make too much sense to implement him into Slime's moveset. I don't really know how would that work exactly.
There's also the fact that this 5chan leak thing says that "Slime appears on screen with a skill", whatever that means, stage hazard maybe? MAYBE it's the other way around, but that same leak correctfully guessed at the Granblue fighting game.

There's also the issue that people are guessing at Sora because of the datamined stats, the "brave" codename makes sense for him, and that Spawn Wave kinda hinted at Sora in a tweet a long while ago.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'm not entirely sure about this. One one hand, it would represent Erdrick in some way at least, but on the other... It wouldn't make too much sense to implement him into Slime's moveset. I don't really know how would that work exactly.
There's also the fact that this 5chan leak thing says that "Slime appears on screen with a skill", whatever that means, stage hazard maybe? MAYBE it's the other way around, but that same leak correctfully guessed at the Granblue fighting game.

There's also the issue that people are guessing at Sora because of the datamined stats, the "brave" codename makes sense for him, and that Spawn Wave kinda hinted at Sora in a tweet a long while ago.
My assumption is that Erdrick would only be in his final smash and/or victory screen, maybe a taunt if we see Pac-man's taunt as them trying to represent others who aren't getting in. I think the main reason they would do it is just to appease the Erdrick fans who might otherwise be upset that Slime beat him out for a spot.

Honestly I find the Brave code name working for Sora being a bit of a stretch, it's not like the Valor drive form is some integral part of Sora's lore or moveset. And I don't much much stock in leakers so I'm not going to discredit anyone's chances because some random internet guy says so.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

Maybe Erdrick would be in a similar position to Tails, as a character seem on the background of their stage. Would make sense, since the most likely stage for a DQ rep would be Alefgard (the overworld). Maybe Erdrick and some of his party members could be seems travelling in the background, like Tails, Silver and Knuckles are seem in Green Hill Zone.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hey, check this out:
http://instagr.am/p/Bta15lBFa00/ What do you guys think it means for our little Slime friend?
Nothing, it means this guy likes Dragon Quest stuff lol.

But in all honesty it really just shows how much the Brave code name ties to Dragon Quest. To me that still make it seem like a bad code name for Erdrick but a sneaky code name for another Dragon Quest character. But it could just be a bad code name lol.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
There's this big rumor going on about a possible Nintendo Direct this Wednesday. Do you think it could be anything Smash related in there, a tease for the next DLC fighter, something DQ related perhaps?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
There's this big rumor going on about a possible Nintendo Direct this Wednesday. Do you think it could be anything Smash related in there, a tease for the next DLC fighter, something DQ related perhaps?
Yeah I think at the very least we'll get more Joker news but I personally wouldn't be surprised if we get another reveal, probably of whoever Brave is. And personally I still think Slime has a good shot at being Brave.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think a slime could easily fit in smash. I would be all for it if it wasnt that I do prefer to have a hero in.
If they'd be really ambitious they'd try to fit in two characters. then we could have both :)

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This 5chan leak thing keeps getting stronger and stronger. A recent datamine might just leaked Joker's stage. The stage is the same as the one from the leak.
Now what does this "appearing on screen with a skill" mean anyway? Is it a stage hazard? Is it an assist trophy? If it is the latter, does that mean we're getting 1 assist trophy with each Challenger Pack? I don't remember that ever being mentioned anywhere in any official form...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This 5chan leak thing keeps getting stronger and stronger.
Nope. Someone found out that the Japanese text said "Erodoriko" instead of "Loto". Why it took this long to translate, I don't know.

Top Bottom