• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding Spot Dodge..?

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
I don't play Marth but someone posted this on FB and I just would really appreciate answers from you all (in case this is character specific). Never seen this before, although I am aware of cancelling your roll momentum with a grab. It appears you can also cancel your momentum with a spot dodge?

http://gfycat.com/SlipperyNaughtyCheetah

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Never seen that myself. Hope there's some answer out there so I'll post to keep it alive.

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
At a first glance this looks like a spot dodge mixed with a roll. The only problem is that the distance Marth slides here is not the same as a normal roll. If this is a legitimate tech that can be used reliably in game this is awesome but it could also just be a weird glitch that will be near impossible to recreate. The intriguing thing is that this sliding spot dodge has the same cooldown/vulnerability as a regular spot dodge as far as I can see with the added benefit of being a retreat option. I'm not much of a labbing guy but if any of the other Marths on here want to screw around on 3ds and see if this is real that would be awesome. I looked into this a bit and I haven't seen anything like this around the internet, so this may just be a new tech. I wouldn't get to excited though guys.

On a side note the 3ds and wii u versions are identical in physics correct? If so it would be wise to look into this being doable on the wii u as well.

*edit* I looked a bit further and I see a similarity between Marths perfect pivot and this spot dodge. Could it be that this is a PP with a spot dodge inputted as well? I'm trying to imagine how it would be possible to PP and spot dodge when the PP input is so quick... i'm just spitballing here guys, no misinformation intended it's just speculation.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Does Rosalina's luma recall have a windbox? What happened prior to Marth recovering?

The only thing even remotely similar to this is when a Roy was able to save momentum after an up+b to the ledge when he was hit at the beginning of his recovery by Greninja's hydro pump windbox. The Roy seemed to maintain momentum and jumped extra high off of a ledge jump getup afterwards. idk, I'm grasping at straws lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4TxhOF99g

Penguin64

Smash Rookie
NNID
penquin64
3DS FC
3265-5657-8914
That looks like a perfect pivot then a spot dodge. You can tell because if you look at marths feet you can see the dust from the dash coming out.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Here's why that can't happen if it wasn't a wind box. A move either carries momentum (slides) or it doesn't. Marth's spot dodge doesn't do that. Lucina's does btw. If you walk and immediately spot dodge as Lucina, she will slide to a halt during the spot dodge. Marth will immediately stop in the same situation. If that was a PP spot dodge, you would see him go only his PP distance and the spot dodge wouldn't be moving.

I don't even see even a slit of the PP animation. PP don't have dust clouds.

On top of that, it looks longer than his PP. Rosa does the exact move that creates the wind box which is frame 8-15 btw (which follows the video with how it looks slightly delayed)

Last edited:

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Here's why that can't happen if it wasn't a wind box. A move either carries momentum (slides) or it doesn't. Marth's spot dodge doesn't do that. Lucina's does btw. If you walk and immediately spot dodge as Lucina, she will slide to a halt during the spot dodge. Marth will immediately stop in the same situation. If that was a PP spot dodge, you would see him go only his PP distance and the spot dodge wouldn't be moving.

I don't even see even a slit of the PP animation. PP don't have dust clouds.

On top of that, it looks longer than his PP. Rosa does the exact move that creates the wind box which is frame 8-15 btw (which follows the video with how it looks slightly delayed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0

I think sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't cause dust.

Zard

Smash Rookie
Right, this a PP into a spotdodge. I do it with a bidou style setup, where you set right stick to special and use that to PP when holding another special button.

https://gfycat.com/EmotionalChubbyAnole

in general, the sequence is PP -> dodge. With a bidou style setup, the input is lstick away > rstick toward > lstick away+ down + shield. The last input you execute at the diagonal notches to register the down input sooner than later. The same motion can be used for pp downsmashes, inputting attack instead of shield.

There's a lot of tech with bidou pp for everybody. However, characters with long shield stops have additional extended dash dancing benefits as well.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Not to be snarky, but just being honeat, when you make use of it in some actual matches, and post the links on marth smashboards, then I'll be interested. Right now I'm skeptical.

Top Bottom