• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slide Dodge

FIREL

Smash Ace
-Slide Dodge-

I'm not sure if its new or not, but...

I've been practicing Luigi's walking. I was playing around and then I did a spot dodge, and Luigi Slid Forward, entering the spot dodge at the same speed of his walking speed. Speed does affect the distance, but when Luigi is walking about the half of his full walking speed, the difference in distance is barely noticeable compared to full speed. After it ends, Luigi slides a bit forward, but not much and if you want to continue walking, he'll have to pick up some speed again.

-Regular Slide Dodge

-How to:
This is performed by walking (any direction), then tilt downwards first to around 45 degrees to perform a crouch, and then press shield immediately after (split second).
If done correctly, Luigi should spot dodge and slide.

-Distance
The distance is about 2/3 of the middle, dark, diamond of Final Destination.
When combined with jab + grab, the distance is slightly less than 1/4 of Final Destination (Jab + Grab is performed after the spot dodge end, meaning that the first half of the slide does not grab).

-How does it work?
The Slide Dodge is crawl dashing and spot dodging combined together. This means you can do a wavedash by performing this without the spot dodge. The wavedash will also have the same distances shown below.
It can also be done sliding backwards, but only from landing. The distance is small.

-Requirements:
>The character must be able to crouch without any lag and be able to crawldash.
>The character must have a spot dodge that allows them to slide.
>Low traction and decent-fast walking speed is recomended.

As of now, Luigi is the only one (that I know of) who possesses all these traits.

-Landing Slide Dodge
I found out a new version not too long ago. This version looks better and cooler and it's more effective.

-How to:
To do it, you have to jump (short hop or full), and then land backwards. Keep holding backwards until Luigi turns around. Perform the Slide Dodge after he takes 1-2 step(s). Luigi's walking speed temporarily increases when he turns around, meaning that the Slide Dodge speed and distance is increased.

-Various ways to perform this move.
The technique can be performed after a move with landing lag. This means that you can use any aerial move or airdodge, and follow-up with Slide Dodge. It is also possible to fast fall into Slide Dodge. You can also do a Reverse Fireball in mid-air to change the direction you want to slide to.

-Distances:
The Sliding itself: Around 3/4 of the dark blue, middle diamond on FD.
Slide Dodge + Jab + Grab: Slightly more than 1/4 of FD.
1 Step (Turning Step) + Slide Dodge: Dark diamond of FD.
1 Step (Turning Step) + Slide Dodge + Jab + Grab: 1/3~ of Final Destination
2 Steps (Turning Step + 1 Step) + Slide Dodge: 1/4 of Final Destination
2 Steps (Turning Step + 1 Step) + Slide Dodge + Jab + Grab: 5/12 of Final Destination

-Reverse Landing Slide Dodge
Screwing around some more and found this.

-How to:
Jump and then land backwards. Then do a soft turn around after about 1 step and slide dodge immediately. Luigi should slide dodge but face the other way.

-Distances:
(To be filled)

This one is probably less useful then the other ones, unless you want to sweetspot U-smash.

-Glide Toss Slide Dodge
I've learned how glide tossing works and mastered it recently, then i began to wonder if slide dodging will work with glide toss.

-How to:
YOU MUST HAVE AN ITEM

Glide Tossing: Perform a forward roll, then press a button to throw the item immediately. The distance that Luigi will slide will depend on when you press "throw".

Perform a slide dodge.

-Distances:
Travels the same distance as Luigi's normal glide toss.
Short Glide Toss SD: (To be filled later)
Medium Glide Toss SD: (To be filled later)
Long Glide Toss SD: (To be filled later)
Slide Dodge will occur on the second half of the Glide Toss.

-Uses
These are MY uses and you don't have to follow them. You can create your own uses as well.

Several ways to use Slide Dodge:

1. Approaching
2. General movement
3. Taunting =P
4. Mindgames

Follow-ups:

1. If you slide in front of your oppoment:
a. Jab + follow-ups
b.SH -> F-air
c. SH -> U-air
d. SH -> N-air
e. SH -> D-air
f. D-smash
g. F-smash
h. U-tilt

2. If you slide past your oppoment:
a. SH -> B-air
b. SH -> D-air
c. U-smash
d. D-smash

:starman:Caution!:starman:

The Slide Dodge is still a Spot Dodge. Thus, it carries the same advantages and disadvantages as a regular Spot Dodge. This includes predictability. So try to mix up your game and don't overuse this technique.

Use at your own risk!!
I claim no responsibility, for any loss caused by this technique!!

-Videos

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=HX984NC0

I was trying to make the video as soon as possible but I had a bit of difficulty, so try to ignore my fails. I don't know, but my finger position or the way i press the buttons as my playing style changes so I had a bit of a hard time doing this stuff...

Sections

1. Normal Slide Dodge
2. NSD + Jab Grab
3. Landing Slide Dodge
4. LSD + Jab Grab
5. Reverse Fireball -> LSD
6 / 7. 2 Step LSD + Jab Grab
6 / 7. Attack -> Landing Lag -> LSD

I'll edit the video later, but here is the "raw" video.

Might make another one...

Huge Thanks to YoshQ for recording my video!!

-Additional Comments

:starman: Going to rename it Slide Dodge, was planning on using Slide Stepping in the first place.

:starman: I rarely use the regular slide dodge due to the fact that its slow and you have to pick up speed (which takes quite a while).

:starman: If you want to do an approach, then the fastest way you can probally do it (with landing slide dodge) is a quick soft turn around (if required) and then fast-fall and air dodge (it "prepares" you for a slide dodge) and the slide dodge. This is the way i find it to be easier.

Short Hop -> FF -> Air Dodge -> Slide Dodge

:starman: Do not confuse this technique with a normal sliding spot dodge. Although, several characters such as Marth and Link may seem to have this ability, it is only a regular slide dodge [landing slide dodge method].

FIREL

Smash Ace
No... wish I had a video to show but i dont have anything that I can use to record (or record in good quality)... Not very good at explaining either =P. The stats also make the move look good.

Edit: When you see it in real, it doesn't and will not look very impressive, but it could be useful.

NNID
LilG912
Sliding Spot Dodge was discovered in 2008, plz close this thread. A lot of people knows Luigi slide when he spot dodges, it's too old lol...srry that I hate to bust your bubble, but its true, son.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Sliding Spot Dodge was discovered in 2008, plz close this thread. A lot of people knows Luigi slide when he spot dodges, it's too old lol...srry that I hate to bust your bubble, but its true, son.
That was my first question... glad someone finally answered it ...
but you sure your talking about the right one?

About the video, well sent it to YoshQ so I should be getting the video soon. I tried to make the video as soon as possible and quickly, also had a bit of trouble doing this thing (happens once a while =P).

Top Bottom