• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword v.s. Ocarina of Time

Grodion

Smash Cadet
Post which you think is better, ss, or oot; and why you think its better. Personally, i prefer SS. The graphics are awesome, even compared to tp's. dont get me wrong, tp had great graphics, but if you look as hyrule fields grass, or some of the more objects taht are supposed to be round, it ends up looking kinda ugly. the gameplay for ss was probably the best i had ever experienced in a zelda game as well.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
You should probably take out Twilight Princess. Most everyone is going to vote for SS or Oot.

And its better with a 1 on 1 vs battle anyway.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
They all have their strengths, I don't think there is any reason to pick one over the other.

Nevermind, Skyward Sword is the best.

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Honestly, from an objective standpoint I think SS is better. I mean, obviously. Intricate combat, much more to do, better fetch quests than the stupid masks/mildly fun trading sequence, way cooler bosses, better dungeon design and items. Ocarina love really does seem to run on nostalgia fuel with a lot of the community, but I liked MM a lot more than OoT.

etecoon

Smash Hero
SS would be significantly better if the entire game wasn't a tutorial, unfortunately even right near the end of the game you still have Fi crawling up your *** constantly telling you obvious things. OoT is better by virtue of not being a glorified instruction manual.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You know, I never felt like Fi kept running her mouth telling me obvious things the entire time. o.o Am I weird because of this? I swear most people complain about this, not that I'm saying you guys are wrong in feeling that way. I suppose I'm a bit more passive than most people in terms of playing games. After playing that game I didn't realize it wasn't as perfect as I thought it was until I got on here and discussed what it was like with everyone and fleshed out the experience and found flaws.

But the same can be applied to OoT. I love the game, I do, but I can be the one to tell you that since I didn't play it all that much when I was young (never even beat it, gasp, I know, got annoyed with the water temple ha), and only did when the 3DS version came out. It was great, but when I look at people who played the game a lot when it first came out on the 64, for some reason their is a huge gap between me and them, and I don't even think there was anything even wrong with it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, from an objective standpoint I think SS is better. I mean, obviously. Intricate combat, much more to do, better fetch quests than the stupid masks/mildly fun trading sequence, way cooler bosses, better dungeon design and items. Ocarina love really does seem to run on nostalgia fuel with a lot of the community, but I liked MM a lot more than OoT.
I mean...from an objective stand point, one game would be better than the other, because of the time difference of each release.

A better way to look at it...well I would consider three criterion...

1. What the gaming community thought of each game at the time. This includes both reviewers and gamers alike.
2. What the game did in terms of impact in video game society.
3. What you thought of it then and now.

I'll post my thoughts later, but I'm leaning towards OoT for a bunch of reasons.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
I mean...from an objective stand point, one game would be better than the other, because of the time difference of each release.

A better way to look at it...well I would consider three criterion...

1. What the gaming community thought of each game at the time. This includes both reviewers and gamers alike.
2. What the game did in terms of impact in video game society.
3. What you thought of it then and now.

I'll post my thoughts later, but I'm leaning towards OoT for a bunch of reasons.
Agree with this, but I really would play Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword. TP is my fave LoZ just because of the depth and intensity of the game. But out of the two picked OoT.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
You know, I never felt like Fi kept running her mouth telling me obvious things the entire time. o.o Am I weird because of this? I swear most people complain about this, not that I'm saying you guys are wrong in feeling that way. I suppose I'm a bit more passive than most people in terms of playing games. After playing that game I didn't realize it wasn't as perfect as I thought it was until I got on here and discussed what it was like with everyone and fleshed out the experience and found flaws.

But the same can be applied to OoT. I love the game, I do, but I can be the one to tell you that since I didn't play it all that much when I was young (never even beat it, gasp, I know, got annoyed with the water temple ha), and only did when the 3DS version came out. It was great, but when I look at people who played the game a lot when it first came out on the 64, for some reason their is a huge gap between me and them, and I don't even think there was anything even wrong with it.
about the fi thing, you arent alone ;) To me, it didnt feel like Fi was THAT annoying, at least not as annoying as navi.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't understand how anyone could think that. Navi does not interrupt the game half as much as Fi does. Sure, her little "hey, listen" thing could be annoying but it wasn't nearly as frequent as you are pestered by Fi for far more obvious stuff.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, I had no problems controlling him. The Skyward strike thing had me annoyed at first until I realized the trick. There is no specific angle, you literally just hold it up and wait. XD Doh! Beyond that it was pretty solid unless I was moving the Wii remote in a direction really fast when the sword hasn't caught up with the placement and angle and I swing all wrong, but that is my own fault, not the game's.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Skyward Sword is the better game. Ocarina of Time will always have much more of an impact though.

Same with Majora's mask. I feel that game's better than Ocarina of Time as well, but it didn't have the same impact.

Wasn't Ocarina of Time considered one of the greatest games ever made for awhile?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
OoT for sure! I love the classics, plus I've never owned a Wii so I've clearly never owned/played SS
If you haven't played the only other competitor, that means you shouldn't vote, not that you should vote for the only one you played.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I really disliked SS for multiple reasons:

- Fi acts like an awkward robot. I hated the character's personality.
- There are only 3 areas and they are completely disjointed from each other. They felt kind of uninspired as well.
- The entire overworld part of the game is just "dowse" for this 'n that. It got old super quickly.
- Too many enemies make the game basically be like "hey remember we put motion controls in this game?" They move like ******* to remind you of this fact. This is something that just in general seems to plague Wii games.
- The sky just felt hollow compared to the sea in WW. You have Skyloft, a few really small places, and then everything else is just empty floating rocks, most of which you can't even land on.
- The game just feels small in general. There were 24 heart pieces total and most of them were obtained in really mundane ways. TP had 45 and even OoT had 36. This is just one indicator among many that the game really is small.
- Gratitude crystals ironically provide very little gratitude to the player. In other Zelda games there's always that suspenseful moment where you wonder what you will get for helping someone. Replacing all of that with a catch-all collectible that doesn't even give you good prizes takes away that factor entirely.
- The music is kind of "meh" at best.

Those were my biggest complaints. Needlessly to say I think that OoT is the far superior game. I also think that SS was by far the worst 3D Zelda game (but still a good game, nonetheless).

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

- There are only 3 areas and they are completely disjointed from each other. They felt kind of uninspired as well.
- The entire overworld part of the game is just "dowse" for this 'n that. It got old super quickly.
- Too many enemies make the game basically be like "hey remember we put motion controls in this game?" They move like ******* to remind you of this fact.
- The sky just felt hollow compared to the sea in WW. You have Skyloft, a few really small places, and then everything else is just empty floating rocks, most of which you can't even land on.
- The game just feels small in general. There were 24 heart pieces total and most of them were obtained in really mundane ways. TP had 45 and even OoT had 36. This is just one indicator among many that the game really is small.
- Gratitude crystals ironically provide very little gratitude to the player. In other Zelda games there's always that suspenseful moment where you wonder what you will get for helping someone. Replacing all of that with a catch-all collectible that doesn't even give you good prizes takes away that factor entirely.

Those were my biggest complaints. Needlessly to say I think that OoT is the far superior game. I also think that SS was by far the worst 3D Zelda game (but still a good game, nonetheless).
I agree that the Sky didn't have near as much compared to the Great Sea in WW. That was probably my only main complaint about the game. I know that a lot of people think there are a lot more problems with the game but I don't really have any besides that one.

Grodion

Smash Cadet

- Too many enemies make the game basically be like "hey remember we put motion controls in this game?" They move like ******* to remind you of this fact. This is something that just in general seems to plague Wii games.

Fi was supposed to act like a robot. she was supposed to be emotionless (read the instruction manual ;)) thats why at the end, Fi said that she felt happy, and it wasnt normal, cuz she was made to be emotionless

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Fi was supposed to act like a robot. she was supposed to be emotionless (read the instruction manual ;)) thats why at the end, Fi said that she felt happy, and it wasnt normal, cuz she was made to be emotionless
Yea, I was fine with Fi acting like an emotionless robot. It's just something I don't want to see in every Zelda game from now on. (which obviously won't happen)

Tacket

The Innovator
Okay, I don't like what I see here.

Wow, I was seriously shocked when I opened this thread and saw people actually saying that SS is better than OoT, the greatest video game of all time. Seriously, OoT pretty much solidified Nintendo as the top dawg of the video game world at the time, and solidified Zelda's position as the best Nintendo franchise. SS is a great game, but nothing beats the classics. The one thing I never liked about OoT was the fact that you had little story progression between dungeons in the post game. You'd basically finish one and go do the other five like it was a refrigerator to do list (at least for the first three).

So yeah SS is a great game, but not OoT level imo.

HAcoreRD

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Never said it wasn't great.

edit: Did you just edit your post to add another reaction .gif?

etecoon

Smash Hero
OoT never had the magic for me that it did with other people, I think it's a great game, but it never really appeared in my best games ever radar, and I thought MM was a much deeper game more worthy of that kind of praise. No nostalgia and it's not unwarranted praise for OoT, -Skyward Sword is not a well designed video game-. SS is nearly the embodiment of everything wrong with AAA developers these days, the only place it really does achieve anything great to me is in it's art, the game has fantastic aesthetics. But the game design? Taking massive steps backwards, there is no reason a game should still have such amateur design flaws after a 5 year development cycle.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not nostalgia speaking when I say OoT is better, even disregarding the time frame between the two games..

SS just....wasn't that good.
Are you saying it wasn't good in general, or not good for a Zelda game? I could have sworn you were praising the game initially.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Are you saying it wasn't good in general, or not good for a Zelda game? I could have sworn you were praising the game initially.
Well yeah, that's because I was playing it for the first time. The excitement and novelty of it colored my perception of the game. It's like how the first time I saw Inception I thought it was the greatest movie ever, and as the weeks passed by I realized I didn't really like it that much at all.

I would call SS 60% of a really good game that happens to be buried under 40% of really bad stuff. There is just too much senseless padding and tedious detours. It is my favorite of the post-N64 3D games, but almost every game before Wind Waker is better than it.

Top Bottom