• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SKYPAL 2.1 SSBB Sun, Mar. 2nd

Sastopher

Smash Journeyman
SKYPAL returns for brawl! We have a couple copies and will be hosting a tourney on Sunday, March 2nd at the SKYPAL house. We are expecting two copies to be available. If you have your own, let us know and we can plan to set up an extra TV to expedite the tournament

Address is:
302 164th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98008

My phone number should be available to the general local community. If there are any questions or you need to reach me, contact me via my gmail account (Sastopher@...) or through this thread and I can pass on more personal contact info.

Ruleset is still undecided, but as per our standards, we will have most of the stages turned off. You'll probably see the obvious 4-5 on random, with counterpicks being opened up to only the most reasonable of those that remain. Obviously, no items.

Singles and Doubles
3 stocks 8 minute time limit
Best 2 out of 3
Double elimination
DSR (can't pick the last stage you won on) and Advanced slob picks
10$ entrance fee per person, per tournament
Payout will be dependent on number of entrants, but expect something like a 70-20-10 split.

Doubles will be first, singles second

Tournament is scheduled to start at 2 pm. Please, for the love of god, don't show up before noon. If you do, and people are still sleeping, as they are bound to be, we will NOT be happy.

We might have room to house a FEW people. If you are coming from out of state, please let us know beforehand and we will give you priority. I do stress FEW though. It's been a while since we've hosted any tournaments and we are giving it a try again. If all goes well, this might become a regular thing. Also, please respect our house and our rules. Clean up after yourselves, etc..

See you there!

BalefireBoy

Smash Journeyman
Don't you guys know SKYPAL House Rule #8? T!mmy and T0mmy are ALWAYS welcome.

This should be interesting. I imagine most everyone has gotten their hands on Brawl already at some point. Be fun to see the tricksies everyone has come up with in the short time it's been out. Myself, I really like Brawl. I appreciate how it looks like, at least right now, that many more characters than melee will be tournie viable.

And King Dedede IS the greatest Smash character ever....

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Nice. Mind if I come? Sastopher was my first inspirational smasher and it would be great to smash again (even if I havent played brawl whatsoever)

Jem.

Smash Master
Jace is the oddball of people wanting to come, laugh at him lololol.
Just kidding.
Yeah, I really like brawl graphics/levels/songs, they're so sweet.

Sastopher

Smash Journeyman
Timmy and Tommy are always invited.

Obviously, this is an open invitational tournament, so all are welcome. Don't be shy, even if you haven't played Brawl yet! All we ask is that all that come participate in at least one of the two tournaments. The point of hosting this tournament (and the prospect of tournaments to come) is to encourage the competitive smash environment in WA. We want to be some of the best in the country, and the only way to do that is by regular competitive play. We also encourage others to host their own tournaments, even if they aren't really big or have big entrance fees.

Edit: oh, and brawl is really sweet. I'm really happy with just about everything, except maybe tripping and tether recoveries. We'll see how the tiers evolve, but we've got a pretty good idea of what they look like right now.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
I am DEFINENTLY coming. I didn't know skypal all, but miss them regardless.
Takin' the plane back from Cali like a day and a half early? >_>

Man I wanna go to this, but me n' shane be goin' to the UCLA place...

+ it's on sunday >_<

oh well, assuming it's good and successful, there will probably be more?

BalefireBoy

Smash Journeyman
of course, Final Smashes are off as off can be. I couldn't take playing with those for more than 15 minutes.

And Ka, yeah, the plan is to make Brawl tournies a regular thing in WA. I know Gameclucks will start running Brawl once it officically comes out in the US. But our idea was to hopefully host a tournie fairly regularly to go along with the GC tournie. We just want to make WA a force when it comes to competitive Brawl.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
of course, Final Smashes are off as off can be. I couldn't take playing with those for more than 15 minutes.

And Ka, yeah, the plan is to make Brawl tournies a regular thing in WA. I know Gameclucks will start running Brawl once it officically comes out in the US. But our idea was to hopefully host a tournie fairly regularly to go along with the GC tournie. We just want to make WA a force when it comes to competitive Brawl.
Wow that sounds good lol. Weekly tourneys yayuhhz lol.

And just curious, you planning on usin' Dedede? I hear he can chain grab lol.

Jem.

Smash Master
^^^ who are you.
I believe CG, as for any character even in melee, stops once it gets to a high enough percent. Unless DeDeDe is **** enough to be able to CG from 0% - 999% if he pleases >_>

Jem.

Smash Master
Oh. Hmm. I wanna play to pick up Wolf -_- don't wanna just use falco.

Jeff: You work with one of my friends in Marysville, Chris McPeake. =D

Help!

Smash Journeyman
Open invitation? I'll come and bring about 3 other friends if Skypals cool with it. What time does it start though?

Sastopher

Smash Journeyman
What time does it start though?
You need to work on your reading comprehension.

Tournament is scheduled to start at 2 pm. Please, for the love of god, don't show up before noon.
I'm still unsure how many people we're going to get. I'd like to be finished by 10 or 11 because, it being Sunday and all, most people are going to have school or work the next day. With just two setups, we should be okay with 20 or so people. Many more than that and we'll either need someone to bring another game, or we'll have to drop it down to 2 stock or something. Just fair warning.

D

Deleted member

If the Smash Twins are going, I don't see why they wouldn't bring their copy. I might go to this just for fun, I get my English copy of brawl probably March 3, so one day too late. :(

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
Sounds fun, ill be there at 12:01 pm.

what time does it start?

are items going to be on or off?

if off, are smash balls going to be off as well?

where is skypal house?

is this being held in washington?

whats your address?

are all stages going to be on random or only about 4-5 undisputably fair stages?

what is the money split gonna be? should i be expecting something like a 70-20-10 split?

whats the entree fee?

if im coming from out of state, can i get housed?

can you house me and my 100 friends?

does skypal like brawl?

how does it taste?

1psemet

Smash Journeyman
Uh, so, poker doesn't take my full concentration...

Assuming somewhere between 20(lowish) and 32 entrants(I'd be mildly shocked), here's how long it'll take with different numbers of setups. Skip to the bottom if you don't care about the math.

A double elim bracket has 2n-2 matches (if it's full, probably less if there's bye's, but I don't care enough to think about it), assume an average game lasts 5 mins, and 2.5 games per match(12.5mins). That's:

20 x 2 - 2 = 38 x 12.5 =475min/60 = 7.9hr. Setups: 2 = 3.95hr; 3 = 2.6hr; 4 = 1.97hr; 5 = 1.58hr
32 x 2 - 2 = 62 x 12.5 =775min/60 = 12.9hr. Sets : 2 = 6.45hr; 3 = 4.3hr; 4 = 3.22hr; 5 = 2.58hr
Add half again(it's close enough) for teams, and you get;

Peeps/ 2setups/ 3setups/ 4setups/ 5setups

20 / 5.85hr / 3.9hr / 2.95hr / 2.37hr
32 / 9.67hr / 6.45hr / 4.83hr / 3.87hr

In summary: Assuming two hours or so of inefficiency thrown in to be on the safe side, worst case scenario of 32 entrants who all stay for team, and two setups the tourney will go till 1:30 am or so. 4 setups seems a safe number where it should end by 9 at the latest.

So. Basically we need two other people to bring setups. If you can come and bring one, we would all be much obliged. Also, that would leave much more room for friendlies. If you can bring one for sure you should post such, I'll encourage Sastopher to update the main page and we could all breathe easier.

PS: Sanji is my hero. And for the record, it TASTES LIKE MANSAUCE

Jem.

Smash Master
Sounds fun, ill be there at 12:01 pm.

what time does it start?

are items going to be on or off?

if off, are smash balls going to be off as well?

where is skypal house?

is this being held in washington?

whats your address?

are all stages going to be on random or only about 4-5 undisputably fair stages?

what is the money split gonna be? should i be expecting something like a 70-20-10 split?

whats the entree fee?

if im coming from out of state, can i get housed?

can you house me and my 100 friends?

does skypal like brawl?

how does it taste?
XD @ Silly's post.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Hey Teddy, did you say you found a controller in your car after last GC? Does it have like 3 scratches on the side, just next to the Y button? I thought I had mine, but now I can't find it. If it's like I described it above, can you bring it to this so I can, like...get it?

Takuru

Smash Rookie
Finally, I found a Brawl tournament in Western Washington! I was dancing when I found this thread; I've been wanting to play this game for the first time.

I will definitely be attending.

Top Bottom