• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Skullgirls gets a boost in EVO

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/04/skullgirls-gets-cash-exhibition-support-at-evo-2013/

Looks like their ability to crank out a pretty impressive number for donations (considering their population) has turned some heads, and EVO's stepping up its support.

I'd normally say "hopefully enough players show up this time", but with the added $1000.00 to the pot, I'm sure there's going to be some extra incentive to play it.

Looks like they got a happier ending than they'd first thought after all! At least it looks like the team that's worked on it is pretty happy with the results.

BrandX

Smash Ace
I am glad I got the happy ending that I was hoping for, 2 communities at peace and SkullGirls having a future. It looks like lady luck has shine upon us, now we just have to make it happen.

I want to thank everyone, I'm sure without this donation drive, none of this would of been possible :)

I'm also going to give melee a buy and start playing it if anyone cares that much XD Just as a thank you for giving us the competition we needed to have people finally recognize us both~

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy for them...they definitely deserve it. Especially with all the effort on MikeZ's part.

That being said, this has me somewhat confused about the details of Melee winning. They get a supported tournament, stream time, and extra prize money...what's the difference? xD

leffen

Smash Champion
inb4 skullgirls gets in at more road to evo events and more/better stream time

im just saying, this would nevvverrrr have happened if melee lost

Revven

FrankerZ
That being said, this has me somewhat confused about the details of Melee winning. They get a supported tournament, stream time, and extra prize money...what's the difference? xD
Difference is they get the BYOC space, which is much smaller than the actual room where all the main event games take place. Additionally, they only get top 8 streamed, they don't get bracket pools, top 32, and then top 8 streamed like Melee will.

I'm confused on something though. Did Melee get the $1000 pot bonus or do both have a $1000 pot bonus?...

And Leffen, I think people know that. But it's nothing to get grumbly over lol. Part of the reason we're not at CEO is because of what happened at CEO 2011 with Smash. NCR and Winter Brawl afaik are all up in the air to include Melee in their events.

We're still not debriefed on how they're going to handle seeding points for Melee, either, anyway. If we're even required to have Road to Evo events.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Difference is they get the BYOC space, which is much smaller than the actual room where all the main event games take place. Additionally, they only get top 8 streamed, they don't get bracket pools, top 32, and then top 8 streamed like Melee will.

I'm confused on something though. Did Melee get the $1000 pot bonus or do both have a $1000 pot bonus?...
That is a good question. I'm sure we both got it...right? O.o?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
im just saying, this would nevvverrrr have happened if melee lost
It seems a bit unfair but it's understandable. Melee has more Smash-exclusive people than Skullgirls has Skullgirls-exclusive people and while a lot of Skullgirls players were planning to show up win or lose it's hard to say the same about Melee players.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
>skullgirls
>players
I'm pretty sure they'll have a good amount now that there's a guaranteed $1000.00 in the pot. Of course the players who would have gone to play Skullgirls regardless of this announcement will probably sweep the floor with them.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
I really think Evo would have done something for Melee in the event that it lost. The FGC as a whole can be pretty heartless, but Evo staff tends to be about as fair as possible. I get the feeling that they're happy to have Melee back in the first place.

For reference, 100+ people showed up to last year's Skullgirls side tournament. That was without official Evo support, no streaming of any kind, and it was an outdated (bad) version of the game. Most signs point to the 2013 side tournament being a lot bigger than that, I think (I think 100+ is a success for a side tournament anyway, though).

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Man, Melee… always with the splitting…
:bee:

Good to see hard work pay off for everyone, and makes me less concerned for the alternate realities where Melee lost.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Niiiice !
Just bought SG, btw. I'm not used to chain combo based fighters, the closest thing we have to this is marth's side B lol
But it's mad fun and beautiful. 3D real time lighting on sprites ! I'm amazed xD

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Just as a heads up, Mike Z was on Cross Counter Live last night. Here's the interview:

http://thestream.tv/mike-z-lead-designer-of-skullgirls-304/

Of course they screw up details for melee as usual, but Mike was pretty good about it (he didn't mention anything negative at all, etc. etc.)

Still, instead of watching him pretend-slap the host for dissing KOF, would have been awesome to hear him say it was for melee, lol.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Good **** SG. Glad to see that their getting the support they deserve.

And I'm sure the EVO staff would've done something if we lost (as you said the FGC is pretty heartless). But whether or not it would have been as luxurious as what SG is getting right now is questionable.

Still, no crying over spilt milk. Or rather unspilt milk.

Top Bottom