• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skull Kid; The Lost Puppet - Assist Trophy status confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Skull Kid
Series: The Legend of Zelda
Appearances: LoZ; Ocarina of Time, LoZ; Majora's Mask, LoZ; Twilight Princess
Logo:

Who is Skull Kid
Now, I wanted to create this as an analytical take on Skull Kid's inclusion as a playable character in the Smash Bros. series. Part of this was due to his rise to first place position on the VGTribune newcomer poll. Regardless of that poll's validity, we should take the time to actually assess what this character would bring to the game, and what we can expect for his likelihood.

For those of you who are unaware, Skull Kid had a leading antagonist's role during the cult-classic Majora's Mask, where he is afflicted with, what it essentially, a tribal hex by the ancient god, Majora. Using this poor guy as a puppet, Majora plans to consume the entire world in chaos by crashing the moon into Termina. Link eventually stops the attempt via a groundhog's day style looping three day cycle in which he collects all the magical masks and awakens the four guardian giants who give Link the chance to fight Majora itself. Once saved Skull Kid and that Link remain good friends for the remainder of that timeline.

Later, he reappears in Twilight Princess, having been put in charge of protecting the Master Sword from those who would try to claim it. He tests and finally allows the new hero, Link, to accept the sword. He functions sort of like a mini-boss.

He also has a fairly minor side-quest in Ocarina of Time.

Why has he Resurged
The interesting thing we're seeing as a video game community is that while initially panned as, "the weird zelda", Majora's Mask has become quite the acclaimed title. It had actually garnered such a following that many fans are now calling it the best Zelda title, a title normally reserved for Ocarina of Time.

We also saw the community rally behind the grassroots movement, Operation Moonfall, a campaign by fans to get Majora's Mask ported to the 3DS. It actually garnered over 48,000 signatures on its petition, which is insanely high considering this is just a request to port the game! This is the most organized and popular fan campaign we've seen about the Zelda series. So it should come to no surprise that all eyes are on Nintendo's response. In fact, Shigeru Miyamoto has even gone on the record asking fans what they want to see next: a Majora's Mask remake, or a sequel to A Link to the Past.

So, it should come as no surprise that Skull Kid requests are surfacing: he's basically the poster-boy of Majora's Mask.

A new Zelda Representative

This leads us to ask... who can really be a worthwhile addition to the zelda series?

While Skull Kid has typically more appearances than his counterparts like Zant or Ghirahim, combined with more long-term appeal, he hasn't appeared in a new Zelda title since Twilight Princess in 2006. However, there aren't any MAJOR zelda characters that can stand out as a front-runner for the Zelda series.

With Ghirahim or Zant, we see a very direct parallel where they are very likely a one-time character that were highly requested since their game just came out prior to Smash Bros. In fact, Skull Kid could even be comparative to these two considering his game came out just before Melee did.

Impa is another sudden contender. But what we see there is a possible Shiek replacement as a stand-alone character.

Tingle definitely deserves to be in Smash Bros given his spin-offs, however, Sakurai has publicly acknowledge he knows western fans hate the character and has shied away from his inclusion.

Skull Kid, given his title's high regard and possible re-release around Smash 4's Pre-Production period, could be fresh on people's minds. If that poll is sent to Sakurai himself, and not dismissed, he will probably look into the matter and assess Skull Kid.

-----

So everyone, that's been a pretty fair and analytic look at Skull Kid, I hope you took a read before you push out a gut-response.

Moveset
Playstyle: A lot of fast mid level dodging makes Skull Kid an efficient prankster style character with jukes.

Stats:
Skull Kid is a character of extremes where he is very physically weak, but incredibly speedy when it comes to getting around the area. While not having the same straight up speed like Fox or Sonic, his skillset lies in his fast-dodges, and medium range escapes.
Speed- 7/10
Weight- 1/10 (Probably the lightest character in Smash now)
Strength- 2/10
Dodge- 9/10 (Very speedy dodge, almost instant)
Fall Speed- 4/10

Specials:
Neutral Special- Saria's Song: Skull Kid takes out a flute or pipes and begins to dance in place while playing Saria's Song. As he does a storm of leaves begin to swirl faster and faster around him, whipping up a storm. During this, if he taps a direction, the storm will subside and he will be missing for 1.2 seconds, he will then reappear at a location one Bowser length away. The storm does continual low-knockback damage to enemies caught in it.

Up Special- Trickster Rise: Skull Kid cackles and crosses his arms, he begins to float upwards as he kicks his feet as if he were swimming. This performs a meteor smash against enemies.

Down Special- Ancient Hex: Skull Kid casts a hex on enemies that are directly below him, turning them into a Deku Scrub version of themselves (the Deku Scrub would be their color and wearing their Kirby hat for ease of dev). These Deku scrubs can only use basic attacks. Jump height and speed is equivalent to Toon Link. Lasts ~3 seconds. Immune to being rescrubified for 10 seconds.

Side Special- Majora's Wrath: Two long massive tendrils appear from behind the mask and start trashing around. This is a very long lateral move, reaching almost half the way across final destination. Skull Kid is locked into place while the attack plays. When a tentacle hits a ground-based enemy, they act as being tripped. If the attack strikes an airborne enemy, they are knocked upwards, but are thrown into the helpless state.

Final Smash- Final Day: Skull Kid summons the Termina Moon which smashes into the stage.

Thanks. :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If your talking about the poll on VGT, those were bot spam votes

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Hoping if he does make it, somehow that they don't give him his S***y Twilight princess design, Majora's Mask all the way

Everything about this is wrong

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh yes...by far the most deserving poll winner to date.

Despite the above statement being tongue-in-cheek, I would still prefer him to Ghirahim or Tingle.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Here's the real challenge.

Make a servicable moveset for him.

I mean, I can't think of much. Even cribbing directly from the boss fights with Majora is iffy because he doesn't really have the proper equipment for Wrath or Incarnation's moves, and Mask's main move would require it to detach from Skull Kid.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, thoughts I have are including his flute and lanterns from Twilight Princess.

THe lantern can use poes fire, and possibly he could have the ability to summon his puppet minions.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Those would be interesting.

And honestly, I wasn't expecting those to be suggested; I thought that suggestions would be mostly Majora-based. So, props for thinking outside the mask, I suppose.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Lanturn Swing
Flute Soundwave
Puppet Minions
Tatl attacks
Small Glide ability or teleport ability
F-Smash - Moon Crash or Majora's Wrath

A proper balance & mix of Majora's Mask & Twilight Princess moves would make a cool moveset for Skull kid

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

I think this image might make a fancy addition to the OP :)

I was recently thinking of making a Skull Kid thread! You beat me to the punch haha but i'll help out with what I can :) Maybe I'll work on a roster image soon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In an ideal world, I'd love to have Impa, Skull Kid and Young Link in the game. Together with Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. Link, Zelda and Impa would be styled like their Skyward Sword designs and Young Link, Ganondorf and Skull Kid would be styled like in OoT3DS.

I would've liked Skull Kid, only if he would just have a chance... If I could choose, I would've picked Skull Kid above Sheik as a Zelda newcomer in Melee (with an original moveset). It wiuld've been the better thing to do I feel, as Sheik was just a minor character, a one off and has way less moveset potential than Skull Kid. He also appeared in Twilight Princess, so could stay in Brawl with far less relevancy issues Sheik had. Ah well, Sheik can at least still be kicked out for Impa, but I fear for Skull Kid it's too late... :c

:phone:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Poison Darts. Nuff said.

Just to give LOZ fans memories of when they try to snipe Adult Link with these bad boys.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. I definitely support Skull Kid even with his terrible chances, he is by far my favorite LoZ character and probably in my top 3 favorite Nintendo characters in general.

Hopefully if we get a MM remake his popularity will increase again, but I doubt it'll really have much effect. Like Midna and Ghirahim, he seems like a one-time deal for Smash, and his has passed.

Also, can't wait for the Skull Kid icon.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. I definitely support Skull Kid even with his terrible chances, he is by far my favorite LoZ character and probably in my top 3 favorite Nintendo characters in general.

Hopefully if we get a MM remake his popularity will increase again, but I doubt it'll really have much effect. Like Midna and Ghirahim, he seems like a one-time deal for Smash, and his has passed.

Also, can't wait for the Skull Kid icon.
Or better yet, Nintendo should put the Skull Kid species in another LOZ game. I new that something was missing in Wind Waker when I came to Forest Haven.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Or better yet, Nintendo should put the Skull Kid species in another LOZ game. I new that something was missing in Wind Waker when I came to Forest Haven.
True, I'd love to see Skull Kid in any appearance they give him, but I doubt he'll have a role bigger than the ones in OoT or TP if he makes any reappearances. And it probably won't do much to help his chances. Honestly now I think the best thing for him would be the possible MM remake and even that probably won't do anything.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that Skull Kid will more than likely never be playable in Smash. At least I can still stare at my awesome Skull Kid statue and look at all the pretty but fake Brawl models. And of course replay MM repeatedly. :laugh::awesome:

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I've already resigned myself to the fact that Skull Kid will more than likely never be playable in Smash. At least I can still stare at my awesome Skull Kid statue and look at all the pretty but fake Brawl models. And of course replay MM repeatedly. :laugh::awesome:
That's an AMAZING Plan B :) I'd love to stare at my awesome Skull Kid statue...IF I HAD ONE.

:c

Crossing my fingers for Majoras Mask DLC pack c: hahah

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's an AMAZING Plan B :) I'd love to stare at my awesome Skull Kid statue...IF I HAD ONE.

:c

Crossing my fingers for Majoras Mask DLC pack c: hahah
Yeah, lol it's pretty much my most prized possession. :laugh:

But who knows, maybe when they've exhausted how many characters they can add to Smash and they start making different Nintendo series-centric games instead, Skull Kid will get in the Zelda version. Of course, that probably won't be for at least like twenty years. ;):p:awesome:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
My moveset:
B= Poison darts: Skull Kid shoots two darts slightly bigger than shieks. 5% each hit. This attack has about as much lag as much Pit's Arrow as he loads his flute during the lag.

B^= Dark Float: Skull kid flies as long as you hold the b button with a maximum of 2.5 seconds. When b is let go he releases a small burst(simalar PK flash) from his body that does 8% with little knockback.

B>= Syria's Song: While playing syria's song on the flute he creates a leafy tornado about the height of meta knights mach tornado but thinner. The tornado itself is very similar to mach tornado in the fact that you mash b to use it how it hits multiple times but it is now a slower moving controlable projestile that racks up the multiple hits. The tornado moves on a horizonal plane, can be used for a maximum of 3 seconds during which he plays 0.16-0.19 of the songhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVlqk9yZf2c .
The tornado moves at average/low average speed it has reflective properties with projectiles.

Bv= Great hex
Similar to wario's waft except it creates a purple energy in the shape of a circle around himself as he gives a loud scream. The circle grows larger and stronger as it is allowed to charge over time.
39% Fully charged hits 3x
26% second level
13% first level
0% not charged

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid just won: http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-winner/

Also, to all the people saying they were spam bot votes, they locked the IP for the finals. He was definitely getting spam votes during the Semis (so was Shulk, Megaman and Ghirahim) but during the finals, all of the votes were legitimate so I think the really says something for Skull Kid as a viable character.

I love the idea to make Skull Kid fight in a capoeria style, that's so cool.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Skull Kid just won: http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-winner/

Also, to all the people saying they were spam bot votes, they locked the IP for the finals. He was definitely getting spam votes during the Semis (so was Shulk, Megaman and Ghirahim) but during the finals, all of the votes were legitimate so I think the really says something for Skull Kid as a viable character.

I love the idea to make Skull Kid fight in a capoeria style, that's so cool.
You do realize 4chan is capable of organizing sabotages even without bots, right?

D

Deleted member

Without Dunsparce or Waluigi, what else did they have?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
You do realize 4chan is capable of organizing sabotages even without bots, right?
So Legitimate votes for Waluigi is a sabatoge? Alright, cool. Still better and just way of a "sabatoge" than what Zelda fan forum sites did through illegal means :troll:
Without Dunsparce or Waluigi, what else did they have?
dunsparce was botted to combat the Shulk/Girahim/Skull Kid botting

Waluigi was voted through legitimate means

That was pretty much it, for 4chan at least

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those people actually believe skull kid is a legitimate choice for smash...

billyskater555

Smash Rookie
i think its a great idea to add skull kid, i found this hack, and i think the smash is better and more realistic looking than the other ones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-UDVJkmL2Y

also as i told my friend i think it would be kool if they did a pokemon trainer thing with link instead of young link, with the 3 main masks he uses in majoras mask and you can switch between them, and the final smash would be fierce deity

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know this isn't new news (there's even a discussion about it a few posts up), but personally I found this hilarious.
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=182901
(Also, I didn't know they would be tweeting the results to Sakurai -- not that it makes much of a difference).

Skull Kid has been a pipe dream of mine since playing MM, but even I will admit his chances are next to nothing. Who knows though, maybe this will convince Sakurai to make him an AT or something?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I know this isn't new news (there's even a discussion about it a few posts up), but personally I found this hilarious.
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=182901
(Also, I didn't know they would be tweeting the results to Sakurai -- not that it makes much of a difference).

Skull Kid has been a pipe dream of mine since playing MM, but even I will admit his chances are next to nothing. Who knows though, maybe this will convince Sakurai to make him an AT or something?
I would say its a boon, especially since there hasn't been any other calls to Sakurai on this scale about getting a character in the game. Skull Kid has just become a serious contender for Smash Bros. 4.

Think about this, Sakurai has never been in tune with the desires of a North American/European fanbase, even though he's always tried. Now, there's a dedicated group of fans reaching out to him with a single character request. His chances have skyrocketed.

It's a good day to be a Skull Kid fan.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would say its a boon, especially since there hasn't been any other calls to Sakurai on this scale about getting a character in the game. Skull Kid has just become a serious contender for Smash Bros. 4.

Think about this, Sakurai has never been in tune with the desires of a North American/European fanbase, even though he's always tried. Now, there's a dedicated group of fans reaching out to him with a single character request. His chances have skyrocketed.

It's a good day to be a Skull Kid fan.
Yeah, I agree that Skull Kid's chances are the best they've been in a long time, and this smash poll (even if tampered with) has been beneficial to Skull Kid's chances, but realistically I still think that his chances (while better than before) still aren't great. Don't get me wrong, I love Skull Kid (he's without a doubt my favorite Zelda character), I just don't want people to get their hopes up, because it's very likely that they'll be left disappointed.

With that said, you are right, this will only help Skull Kid's chances. Personally I think it might lead to him being an AT this time around (or at least a trophy -- I was pissed he wasn't one in Melee or Brawl), but maybe he will end up being a character, although I wouldn't hold my breath. It is great to see him gain support though.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
You've got to be kidding me. His "results presented directly to Masahiro Sakurai".... is a tweet? Jeez, anyone could've done that. He probably gets so many fan tweets for character requests that he doesn't even see them.

Ehh, what the hey. I'll retweet it.

Skull Kid is not an obvious character choice. Maybe Sakurai will see this and put him in the game in some fashion as a sort of fan service. I can't really see him putting him in as a playable. Maybe an assist trophy? I voted for him though and would love to see him as a character though.

mrbrawl

Smash Cadet
new move set

i like your move set idea but

i would make your down b just b

i would keep the side b

i would keep the up be the same too:awesome:

This is my down b idea:first majors mask fles off skull kids face you can control it for a short time if you touch a opponent with it major leaches on and does massive damage and then he flies back

final smah moonfall

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Suppose that "Majora's Mask Wii U Trailer" Really is genuine and true leak. And the game came out on Wii U before Smash 4? That would Really help his chances huh? I hope its Real!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

nessokman

Smash Lord
Here is an....almost complete backstory.
*spoiler alert*

Skull kid is a zelda character first appearing in Ocarina Of Time as a boring side character.
His role skyrocketed to main antagonist in Majora's Mask, the best zelda game :p(beat it last week)

Skull kid was friends with the four great giants, the gods who watch over Termina. When the giants went their seperate ways, the skull kid felt that they had abandoned him. He had a bad habit of playing tricks on people.

One rainy night, The fairies Tatl and Tael were flying through. They took shelter in a large hollow log. Inside they saw the skull kid shivering. They huddled up to keep warm. Skull kid played with the fairies and befriended them.

One day, Skull kid and his fairies robbed the happy mask salesman.Little did he know, the mask he took was none other than majora's mask. This mask was used in an ancient tribe for their hexing rituals, and because of the dark powers inside the mask, they hid it away.

At first the skull kid didn't know about it's powers. Once he found out, he used the powers to transform Link into a Deku Scrub.He, knowing the giants had the ability to stop him, sealed them away inside masks.

By the end of the third day, The of majora had completely taken control over skull kid's body. Link get's his ocarina back and uses it to warp to the dawn of the first day. By manipulating the flow of time, as well as collecting the remains of the bosses of temlples.

At the end, Link uses the great song "The Oath To Order" to summon the giants. THey stop the moon from hitting the planet below. Majora begins talking about how the skull kid was a puppet, and how skull kid was useless to it now.

The mask dumps the body of skull kid and flies to the moon, where link and it face off for good. When link awakens, the mask salesman leaves town with the mask, that now is free of spirits. Link and the skull kid become friends and END!

Theory- It is plainly spoken that the Skull kid was the same one in Ocarina Of time that link could play saria's song for. The skull kid said "You smell like that fairy boy who taught me that song in the woods".

:) Also, skull kid appears in twilight princess as a miniboss.During this fight saria's song plays.

*end spoilers*

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here is an....almost complete backstory.
*spoiler alert*

Skull kid is a zelda character first appearing in Ocarina Of Time as a boring side character.
His role skyrocketed to main antagonist in Majora's Mask, the best zelda game :p(beat it last week)

Skull kid was friends with the four great giants, the gods who watch over Termina. When the giants went their seperate ways, the skull kid felt that they had abandoned him. He had a bad habit of playing tricks on people.

One rainy night, The fairies Tatl and Tael were flying through. They took shelter in a large hollow log. Inside they saw the skull kid shivering. They huddled up to keep warm. Skull kid played with the fairies and befriended them.

One day, Skull kid and his fairies robbed the happy mask salesman.Little did he know, the mask he took was none other than majora's mask. This mask was used in an ancient tribe for their hexing rituals, and because of the dark powers inside the mask, they hid it away.

At first the skull kid didn't know about it's powers. Once he found out, he used the powers to transform Link into a Deku Scrub.He, knowing the giants had the ability to stop him, sealed them away inside masks.

By the end of the third day, The of majora had completely taken control over skull kid's body. Link get's his ocarina back and uses it to warp to the dawn of the first day. By manipulating the flow of time, as well as collecting the remains of the bosses of temlples.

At the end, Link uses the great song "The Oath To Order" to summon the giants. THey stop the moon from hitting the planet below. Majora begins talking about how the skull kid was a puppet, and how skull kid was useless to it now.

The mask dumps the body of skull kid and flies to the moon, where link and it face off for good. When link awakens, the mask salesman leaves town with the mask, that now is free of spirits. Link and the skull kid become friends and END!

Theory- It is plainly spoken that the Skull kid was the same one in Ocarina Of time that link could play saria's song for. The skull kid said "You smell like that fairy boy who taught me that song in the woods".

:) Also, skull kid appears in twilight princess as a miniboss.During this fight saria's song plays.

*end spoilers*
I kind of figured that, though the TP Skull Kid would most likely be his decendant.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
While MM being the best is a little subjective, I do like MM Skull Kid a fair bit. He's like a scarecrow, which I find super cool for some unknown reason. But, if he doesn't get in with Majora's Mask on, I probably would be a little mad. It just... that beak. That being said, a move set based around him would probably be based around subtle tricks. I.E. Hit boxes being a lot larger then they seem, but now that I think about it, that's probably a bit too subtle for your casual player. Maybe a ranged version of Mario's Cape? If he gets in, which is unlikely but would be cool, I'm sure he'd be interesting.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
If your talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdwT2pKYzY

It's not real.

And if they remake Majora's Mask, it would not be on the wii u
Who says its not real? Your counting your chickens before they hatch! Ya gotta believe!

OMG this song needs to be in smash. It's just plain haunting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4K9LZbGOs
I love this tune! The developers might just take a note or two from this guy and remix their own version of this song to include in the game, just maybe. Like I said YA GOTTA BELIEVE!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Who says its not real? Your counting your chickens before they hatch! Ya gotta believe!

I love this tune! The developers might just take a note or two from this guy and remix their own version of this song to include in the game, just maybe. Like I said YA GOTTA BELIEVE!
Case it isn't

For one, the person that made it doesn't really understand the character of the Happy Mask Salesman.

If MM ww remade, it would be on the 3DS and would receive the same treatment as the OoT remake. OoT is still considered the better of the games by the majority, and MM would not get some kind of grand remake. Nintendo has never done anything like that before and isn't going to start with a game that didn't sell too well at it's time of release.

Also http://www.gamergirltay.com/2012/07/majoras-mask-wii-u-details-released/

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Fair enough...

Case it isn't

For one, the person that made it doesn't really understand the character of the Happy Mask Salesman.

If MM ww remade, it would be on the 3DS and would receive the same treatment as the OoT remake. OoT is still considered the better of the games by the majority, and MM would not get some kind of grand remake. Nintendo has never done anything like that before and isn't going to start with a game that didn't sell too well at it's time of release.

Also http://www.gamergirltay.com/2012/07/majoras-mask-wii-u-details-released/
I'll admit, the trailer does'nt seem legit at all and if they did remake it it would probably be on the 3DS just like OoT was. But a guy can naively dream can't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom