• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skull Bash...why?

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
It has always bothered me that whenever I would use Pikachu's side B it would always lose to the weakest jab (even at full charge). I finally figured out how to look at frame data in Brawlbox and found that the hit box for Skull Bash covers Pikachu's body only. And yeah, it covers the body very well, but since Pikachu flies at the opponent literally headfirst, well, you know...

I also double checked Pika's Melee frame data, and though somewhat hard to see the hitbox is still the same, but no one commented on it. Because of this flaw in the positioning, Skull Bash was rarely used for offensive purposes and left Pikachu vulnerable to any counterattack no matter how weak it was. Sure it's good for extended recoveries, but I may just be salty about how Skull Bash from the Pokemon games was a power move that was hard to stop after launch.

So let's have a discussion about Skull Bash. My first question is: what's stopping a change the hit box to protect Pikachu's head? Is there a mechanic or balance sensitive reason I am unaware of?

Attachments

CORY

wut
BRoomer
in general, with moves that move the character forward quickly, the hitbox tends to be behind the leading body part. otherwise, those moves end up being super hard to deal with.

that's the general reasoning. if you think pikachu needs to be an exception, i'd recommend trying to find some friendly pmbr and making a case to them.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I've actually been catching a lot of people with a no charge skull bash, they don't ever see it coming. Unfortunately it is very weak :( not really worth it

I've also gotten tech reads with a semi charged skull bash.

With slight buffs I feel like this move will be used a lot more, and for things other than recovery. But right now it's not that good, it's just pretty cute

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
I guess the negative priority makes sense, but that's also probably why it is not used offensively at high level play. I'm going to look into the other moves that also move the character and see if that's true there as well, because I don't know if you can similarly punish Luigi, Squirtle, Peach, and so on when they side B.

I feel like if skull bash was tweaked so that there was a lot of knockback at the beginning of the active frames and less at the end, it could make the move a decent combo finisher. or a tech chase option like @ Paradoxium Paradoxium said. What if it was changed so that it built up armor as it charged, or got rid of the charge for a set amount of damage and normalized knockback?

Anyway, who would I propose any changes to, and how? @Juushichi , based on the other threads, are you still in charge of Pikachu?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I wouldn't wanna see the move gain armor, that would just make it pretty silly. I would mainly like to see a no charge skull bash give at least a little reward for landing it.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I mean, it doesn't seem to have been designed as an offensive move. It's already a pretty potent recovery tool.

Hell, Marth's side-B sucks just as much for offense and that's literally supposed to be a four-swipe combo :p

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, reviving this thread now that I learned more about the game and analyzing skull bash more. I don't really know what I'm trying to argue, but I feel skull bash's uses are either too niche or already covered by the rest of Pika's kit. So I guess I would like to see it tweaked and given more utility considering how... I don't know, incomplete it feels?

We can agree skull bash is useful for horizontal recovery. The endlag after release makes Pika plummet quite a bit, so you can't use it too low, but Pika's quick attack helps recover from deep anyway. But because Pika is light, there's a rather fine limit where you can use skull bash offstage and not get punished by it since too high of a percentage would just kill Pika off the side. Use it too close and you could either fly over the stage vulnerable to attack from below or close to the ledge in the area where many characters are comfortable edgeguarding. Therefore even as a recovery augmentation to quick attack it is still situational. So what other uses can we make for it?

I always thought that a move named "skull bash" implied good offensive capability. However, because of its low knockback and massive endlag it is unsafe to use in neutral and not rewarding when uncharged. It's also closer to the Melee version, so the buffs to max speed/distance and damage cap from Brawl aren't there. The biggest issue with skull bash is its commitment - once you use it you have to go in a linear direction and suffer endlag whether on ground or in the air. Charging it also leaves Pika very vulnerable to counterattack, which would cancel out the charge and render your efforts useless. It's saving grace is that you can act out of it, but because of the endlag it is hard to follow up with another move because the opponent is ready for you. So there are many elements of the move that make it both unique and detrimental.

Trying to take leaves out of the pages of other characters, it seemed the theoretically best way to use such a move was either as a punish/tech chase, a combo finisher, or movement option. Looking at similar moves, the closest move to skull bash in terms of properties and use is Luigi's Green Missile, which gets the benefit of the misfire which increases its speed, power, and most interestingly, its hitbox size (If the hitboxes are like melee's shown on this thread.) It's somewhat unpredictable, though the indicator mechanics PM has provided Luigi means it has instantaneous and controllable mixup potential can get some use offensively as combo finishers, as discussed here. It can also be stored via shield, so while you have to commit with a regular missile the fact that it can be stored gives it much greater offensive power. Granted, it suffers the same vulnerabilities of endlag, but the threat of the misfire makes it riskier to punish.

Other characters have similarly punishable moves, but they at least have more benefits than skull bash does:
  • Wario's Side B - good knockback and hitbox growth as a punish, can be cancelled via jump/squat ground, little endlag from aerial landing
  • Squirtle's Side B - Has negative priority and a small hitbox but can be turned around, cancelled, and used at various speeds
  • Ike's Side B - can be jump cancelled into a myriad of options, offstage is risker but can walljump out of it
  • MK's Side B - similar weaknesses but at least has some directional control, I want to say it's harder to hit out of during active frames, not sure
  • Peach's Side B - in the same vein as Pika but apparently has enough knockback to make up for it (thread)
So while Pika has all of these problems to deal with, other characters' equivalent moves are either powerful enough to justify its vulnerabilities or don't have as much commitment. So if you read wrong or react to slowly, suddenly you're at the disadvantage. This makes techchasing very tight and not worth it, especially since the lack of immediate knockback and damage makes successful reads little rewarding.

Punishes are also unfeasible in normal situations. You'd want to charge skull bash enough to both knock the opponent at least offstage AND put them in enough hitstun to follow up properly AND have a situation where they wouldn't just shield or spotdodge. So what does that leave us? High percentages where you should have just killed them with Up smash or Bair? Rest punishes and shield breaks, where a fully charged Up smash or F smash does more damage? Maybe offstage where you have the risk of skull bashing off the screen and SD'ing off the side?

What's left is the movement options. I found you can't tilt and smash skull bash for different lengths, but that didn't really serve a purpose in melee anyway since it was only about a character length difference. But there are a lot of it's neat little tricks involve a lot of ledge play and take advantage of how skull bash can grab the ledge, and true to Pikachu they all require meticulous positioning. Working with the ledge is also great because it removes Pika's endlag issue:
  • Skull Bash from the stage and land on the edge for a ledgehog
  • From the ledge, drop down and immediately skull bash for ledge stall shenanigans
  • Jumping offstage as if going for a gimp, but then skull bashing back to the ledge (mix-up? Easier means of turning around?)
While this is useful, Pika can do all of this with Quick Attack, which is faster (speed), safer (snaps to ledge quicker), and has more directional versatility. Since a Pika main would probably be using more quick attack anyway there's little reward from memorizing another set of movements/positions when they are limited and punishable. Maybe you can use it as movement mixups like how you can walk instead of dash, but just jumping or dashing/walking would better serve that purpose.

So TL;DR Skull bash is redundant in every situation, where that's only good for recovery and even then barely. It's just too risky to use, and it's unfortunate because Pikachu already has his "use this move to get punished" move in dash attack. I don't like the idea that a character would have moves with this lack of utilization, and while you can argue that moves with less utility are present among many characters I hope it is in the PMBR's creative interests to reduce such traits from the whole roster without leaving Pikachu behind.

So...I guess, discuss? Any possible uses I may have not considered?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Every single use except for recovery is pretty bad with skull bash, the only time i find it good offensively is when you are trying to style on your opponent. I just wish an uncharged skull bash had some sort of reward :(

JulioCoolJazz

Smash Rookie
If we wanted to make Skull Bash more flavorful, Pikachu could get armor while you charge and possibly during the start-up frames of the attack, similar to how using the move gives you a defense boost when you use it on the first turn (the charge) and then attack on the second turn (the bash).

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
If it worked like it did in the Pokemon games, Pika wouldn't even be able to use it :p

I think I liked the armor idea a while ago, where I imagined it would only be enough to make it so that it could at least beat out jabs and only apply to his head. But that doesn't solve the actual problems - the damage and knockback is pitiful uncharged, charging it still leaves you motionless and predictable, and the endlag after the move is suffering. If you add armor while Pika charges it may entice you to believe you can tank hits, but the opponent could just get out of the line of fire or punish with a grab. I could also see it counter-offensively like a poor man's Yoshi armor to eat a hit, but you commit yourself to the move so it still suffers from being a bad punish.

It'd be cute though.

JulioCoolJazz

Smash Rookie
Hm, good points. Armor would not solve the problem. Would any of these solve the problem, and at what point would the tweaks be too powerful?

1) Allow you to shield while charging to cancel the charge if you know it will whiff upon launch. Also maybe (and this is a big maybe) you could save your skull bash charge a la DK's Giant Punch and you could hold the charge until you launch it or lose your stock. I feel like this last change gives Pikachu a way better recovery on top of an already godlike one so it's pretty unbalanced.

2) Tweak the knockback (possibly add electricity to Pikachu's head?) to send the opponent far enough so you can land and get up before they can punish. You seem to think when it's uncharged it needs a buff so that's where it would be changed the most. Possibly give the move a lot more shield stun?

3) Make the charging of the Skull Bash make you not completely motionless. Maybe allow you to walk/crawl, but not dash, while charging it.

4) Decrease the endlag after the move, perhaps the more you charge it the less landing lag you have, or if it's fully charged you can use it on the ground and you will be able to jump out of it.

What are your thoughts on these?

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Umm, I can only speculate:

1) Solves the commitment issue, but if you do use the move it still sucks so what's the point? Could work as a bait, but the meta would leave that in the dust very quickly, and camping with jolts already works well in forcing approaches. Don't really know if storing it would be too much, though I can imagine that having too full of a charge offstage would just send you over stage where you're vulnerable.

2) If just the knockback is say increased, then while the uncharged version is just okay, any semi charged or fully charged version would be OP because of how damage factors into knockback. Electricity on it is actually a slight nerf since it will give additional hitlag frames that the opponent can use to DI. If skull bash caused enough shield stun to be positive or neutral on hit, then the opponent would be in shield stun for a stupidly long time, yet anything below that just means the move is still punishable.

3) Maybe if it was like Dedede's Down B, but I wouldn't imagine Pika being able to jump. He'd still be committed to the move after release, where the change wouldn't have effect. Note that skull bash already has some ability to move while charging, but only in the air and not very much so it not helpful. It slows down horizontal momentum from a dash jump, and I think it increases fall speed slightly?

4) A general decrease of lag across the board would be great, as that would allow some use offstage without falling as far, but I can't imagine endlag decreasing with charging as a fair mechanic. If anything, endlag would increase with charge, though if you liken it to a smash attack, the amount of endlag should be consistent. Jumping out of skull bash doesn't make sense from an animation perspective, and it would be probably be broken because that sounds like QAC but without the condition of landing first.

It's not that these are bad ideas, but they all only solve one part of the problem. You could also use a combination of everything, but that would just be too many variables to test for balance. Perhaps the easiest change to test would be either increased knockback or decreased endlag, but if only one is changed it will still be an inferior option to SHFFL'd or QAC'd Nair.

Still, I could be wrong and there might be hidden uses if these ideas went live, so keep them coming. If skull bash will change, it will need to take advantage of what makes it unique to give it some role that makes it less redundant, all while fitting into Pika's playstyle and not screwing with the balance so much. Well, ideally anyway.

JulioCoolJazz

Smash Rookie
PMBR has proven that they're willing to completely revamp/reimagine special moves that needed a change in order to be competitively viable. I think some combination of these suggestions are, like you said, prone to creating a lot of variables in balance. But it's a start. It would be interesting to see someone with the skills to edit Pikachu's moveset in those ways try to fiddle around with them but if they are out there I'm sure they'll read this eventually. I don't have any more ideas currently but if I do I'll come back to this thread.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I think sideB would be better off replaced by a different movement option similar to quick attack already is.

That's none of my business though.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Business or not, any discussion is welcome!

But dat redundancy tho. Pika already has so many movement mix-ups from quick attack that it's probably overkill if skull bash were redesigned in the same vein. And I don't think skull bash is so bad that it needs to be completely changed, it's got some positive properties too:
  • Damage potential - a fully charged skull bash can kill very early iff you are able to charge it, but as said before the linearity makes it predictable so it's risky to use. For reference, uncharged it's about the same damage/knockback as ftilt, and fully charged is equivalent to a semi-charged F-smash
  • Despite its endlag, you can act out of it in the air, which is the main reason why it's so good for recovery
  • It can grab the edge and cut out much of the endlag
  • Unlike SHFFL Nair and QA, landing skull bash on an opponent will NOT make you cross-up and land on the other side, so it provides a potential positional mix-up
  • It's a damaging move that moves Pika towards the opponent, something Pika rarely has in his moveset besides QA (miniscule damage) and dash attack (which sucks)
It's not that it's in need of replacement, it's just that its cons outweigh its pros

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Skull Bash is adequate at recovery, and I was going to also say it had a situational use in punishing low-percent Rest-whiffs/shield breaks/stuff, but I tested just to make and it turns out its full-charge has actually been nerfed from 29% to 25%, compared to Fsmash's 28%.

This is definitely something that needs to be fixed in the next revision. Beyond that, I was already going to suggest a buff before I noticed the change. I think being just a 1% better punish, and only at low percents where U/Fsmash won't kill, is an underwhelming niche. I think it should be more like Pichu's, allowing, in those occasions, truly massive damage from massive distance, kills earlier than his already respectable smashes, and more satisfyingly disrespectful kills at higher percents, while staying true to Pikachu's great ability to take advantage of opponents in poor positions even at low percents.

Other than that, I can't really think of any way SB could be improved that wouldn't be redundant or contradictory to Pika's established gameplay. But the flavor offered by the original increasing Defense is too enticing to not throw out ideas.

Perhaps, rather than armor, Pikachu could have knockback reduction during the charge, allowing a potential offset to his low weight, but which could be baited out as a notably laggy move.
Or Pikachu's Shield Size could be nerfed back to Melee, but SB given the ability to cancel (not save) the charge with Shield, and doing so would heal his shield proportional to the charge cancelled, even allowing an overheal.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
The situational punishes can still be done - sub optimal or not it's an alternative to F-smash if that's stale. It's just that it's situational.

I personally need some time to process your ideas, so anyone else could critique. But in the mean time, @ Cubelarooso Cubelarooso I noticed from your left-hand details box thing that you play Luigi. How does Green Missile work for you? I assume it's more important for Luigi's recovery than Skull Bash is for Pikachu, but would you consider it more useful overall?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Yeah, the most important difference is how much more important Side-B is for Luigi's recovery than Pikcahu's, but Green Missile can do more than just that. A Misfire can allow otherwise-impossible recoveries, and kills at around 70%. Even without one, a hit can deal respectable knockback at higher percents (and just dealing enough to avoid punishment is better than Skull Bash), and the landing animation is a little safer since it's so low.
GM actually figures into my Luigi game, while SB does not for Pikachu.

Rubix.

Smash Rookie
I say they should get rid of Skull Bash for a better move. One the rat can actually learn!
Yea something like iron tail since pikachu's always using it in the anime. They can have his tail glow white and make it another kill move that does decent damage to a shield. It also wouldn't hurt to add a little ending land to prevent the move from being "too good."

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Just make it jump cancellable. That's basically the pmbr's go to gimmick if they don't feel like putting balance into it kek

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Ok so heres an idea. What if the explosion behind skull bash had some kind of effect? Maybe it could spike like Diddy's or somehing. Imagine running off stage and doing a reverse skull bash, spiking your opponent, AND getting back on stage.

Another idea is to have it just push your opponent far horizontally. That way, when short hopping with your back facing your opponent, you can throw it out to quickly get them off stage. It would be hard to follow up on since it sends Pika in the other direction, though.

It could also electrify your opponent, causing them to flinch every second for 10 seconds or so. This is probably not practical though

Finally it could be used to put you opponent into the ground, ala DK's side b. It would have to be for quite some time so Pika could follow up on it.

Last edited:
Ideas for Skull Bash

1. Allow Pikachu to save the charge like DK's punch. To balance this out on the recovery side, Pikachu can only store the charge during the ground version while the air version will release on its own if it reaches full charge. However the stored charge can still be used in the air.

2. Get rid of this move all together and replace it with Volt Tackle (the anime version). Basically just give him Wario's side B with a new animation. The Air version would go downward in the same angle as Lucario's down B. Another idea is making like a Falcon kick where the air version does a ground impact at the end.

MorphGuy1000

Smash Cadet
2. Get rid of this move all together and replace it with Volt Tackle (the anime version). Basically just give him Wario's side B with a new animation. The Air version would go downward in the same angle as Lucario's down B. Another idea is making like a Falcon kick where the air version does a ground impact at the end.
omfg Volt Tackle would be so sick...pls PMDT D:

Top Bottom