• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skler's Incredibly Awesome Link Guide! Discussion too!

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
Good games Irish Mafia

and Skyler im thinking about picking up link b/c i feel like he has some potenial ppl dont realize so is their anything that i could be told that would be useful...i mean really useful?

Spife

Smash Master
up b out of shield..... a lot
>.> cause not being able to bomb jump and getting punished at low percents is a good idea.

Best advice is pick up link as a not so serious character until you get good at the game cause he's pretty awful.

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
>.> cause not being able to bomb jump and getting punished at low percents is a good idea.

Best advice is pick up link as a not so serious character until you get good at the game cause he's pretty awful.
yea well i have been playing the game for years now i main peach and falco but honestly im just getting tired of peach i feel like she is just to slow and very hard to punish other characters when they make mistakes, and yes laugh i understand that might be some of the same problems i will have with link but i feel like his projectile game can really make up for alot of those things

and yep sman i am picking up link in hopes to try and see what this guy is made of.....maybe we will see each other in some tournament soon or later keep sova's melee game up i want to see some improvements next we play =)

The Tusk

Smash Cadet
New discussion topic, yes? I just wanted to bring something up to the ol' Link forums, because I haven't really seen it specifically discussed in guides.

Many of the Link videos I watch seem to not utilize ALL projectiles at once. I'll explain:

Before I explain (hehe), I'd like to say that all of these influential Links (HDL, Skler, 8000, Garde, GERM, etc) are absolutely incredible. Making a name for themselves with f-ing Link. Wow. You guys handle the other big names in smash like champions. Beautiful work. After watching these videos, I feel like Link has potential to make huge appearances in competitive play...as long as we keep up the discussion!

Now. I feel like a method of projectile usage that isn't utilized enough, primarily for edge guarding or situations where there is substantial space between the two of you, is to create a sort of wall. Take out bomb > Long boomerang > approach > throw bomb above 'rang > approach with attack OR arrow, then approach with attack. I find that even if NONE of the projectiles hit, it still only gives your opponent one option of escape, which is the single hole between the projectiles. In other words, it's sort of a mindgame to get the opponent to walk exactly where you want them to. Overwhelming opponents with projectiles is enough to startle them, but to strategically (and almost artistically) create a wall with ONE hole forces the opponent to take that hole, which of course, leads to the master sword. If this doesn't happen, that means one of your projectiles hit them! Which means hitstun! Which means (with quick reaction timing) MASTER SWORD! OR NAIR! Ah, yes, nair.

Does this make sense? For me, visually conceptualizing the bombarding projectile usage as a wall helps my approach. Link is ******. Link has awesome approach. He would be top tier if he had Navi. Just admit it.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm not sure if anyone know if this the right place to put it because I'm not a link player, or if it's already discovered or not useful.

Anyways I was playing link with my friend and messing around when I did a down throw to an Up Special on a fox. It appeared he couldn't DI out of it or tech the floor when I used the down throw.

Skler

Smash Master
The dthrow can always be teched, it knocks every character down.

The uthrow can't be teched by spanimals up until about 25%, only problem is they have less stun than link has lag so you get comboed.

Edit: This semester is hard, I'm working on putting up a stage guide soon though, maybe Saturday since I should a decent amount of free time then.

HiIH

Smash Lord
The dthrow can always be teched, it knocks every character down.

The uthrow can't be teched by spanimals up until about 25%, only problem is they have less stun than link has lag so you get comboed.

Edit: This semester is hard, I'm working on putting up a stage guide soon though, maybe Saturday since I should a decent amount of free time then.
Wait, Dthrow can be teched when he throws them down before they bounce up?

...Really? o.o;

Skler

Smash Master
I mean it can be teched when they hit the ground the second time. They can't tech the elbow drop/body slam, but every character can tech it if Link is slow. Spacies can tech it up until like 110% before Link can do anything, which is why his tech chase works on them.

**** junior year second semester is hard :(

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I was pondering the Marth matchup. here are things i thought about.

1) I love to hookshoot marth. I love it. Combos from the hookshot are why i use Link. BUT I find that trying to get that in can sometimes be tough. of course there's the obvious whiffed smashes and after marth misses a dair (if youre close). what are some other options to get a grab?
2) On smaller levels like Yoshis and FOD how should I use my projectiles. I find that marth can just chase you down if you try to use too many. Basically i need some spacing help with projectiles and without them on those levels.
3) And lastly, how to kill a marth fair storm approach? Im not too sure about what to do. i mean theres the bomb but if im pressed for space and time...idk what to do. are the tilts of any use here?

Skler

Smash Master
The best way to grab a Marth is to wait for him to use an aerial near the ground and just grab at where he'll land. This works well if he's doing M2K nairs, constantly double fairing or using non-fair aerials from shorthops. Only try it if he will be in aerial lag upon landing so that he can't waveland or DJ near the ground.

You shouldn't be playing Marth on smaller levels, Yoshi's story should be banned. FoD is rough, but you can try running on platforms to at least pull a bomb and try using standing boomerang spam.

Marth's fair is outranged by your grab, just wait for his predictable fair spam and grab him upon landing. You can also just CC the second fair of his double fair into a dsmash.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I mean it can be teched when they hit the ground the second time. They can't tech the elbow drop/body slam, but every character can tech it if Link is slow. Spacies can tech it up until like 110% before Link can do anything, which is why his tech chase works on them.

**** junior year second semester is hard :(
Wait, seriously? So dthrow never combos anybody for real?

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
He is talking about space animals.
Down throw against sheik and marth at most percents is simply beautiful.
Also, a quick dthrow on marth at 0% can lead to another downthrow chaingrab (if the marth doesn't DI). No i'm not talking about a tech chase, i mean Chainrgrab out of the air. ;P
it's pretty flashy, the risk really doesn't outweigh the reward whether you miss or get the grab, but the extra like 6% does come in handy i guess lol.

Skler

Smash Master
Marth sucks at using the Dreamland platforms, they're too high for him to fsmash through. His utilt can poke it but it's slow enough that you have no excuse for getting utilted when you're on a platform. Dreamland allows Link to run and spam with some effectiveness. Another benefit is that it keeps you away from edges, and edges are where Marth wants you to be.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I've been playing with bomb jumping with Link. If you drop a bomb at around the apex of your jump and then immediately nair, you explode. Since you're usually at high percentage when you need to recover from afar, I was thinking that this could be used to extend your recovery while still allowing you to hookshot back on.

I haven't had the chance to test this, but it may also be possible to use this in combination with normal bomb jumping. That is.. you could aerial jump -> bomb drop -> nair -> explode -> bomb throw -> up-b -> explode -> up-b. You'd need some height to pull that off though.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I want add to this discovery. Even though you can do this using bomb drop -> nair, if you're moving forward as you do it, it won't work. In order to move forward and do it, use bomb drop -> bair.

That is all

Skler

Smash Master
Young Link can do that too, for maximum hilarity.

Does the bair/nair need to be at full strength for Link to pop bombs will it? I'm sure the nair doesn't (it's pretty strong as long as it's the start) but bair isn't all that powerful.

More on Stages - Pokemon Stadium is especially good vs Marth if you're in the mountain transformation, you control the entire stage except the edge. At the very least Marth has to get next to an edge in order to not get projectile *****. This means he's at the edge when the stage resets and you should also have a bomb in your hand and a boomerang on the way. What a silly stage.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Idk about the bomb drop nair. It hits you backwards if youre facing the stage. But i guess if you bair it youll get sent forward. this could be a possible stall to mess with the timing of someone's edgegaurd. but it would probably be better to just throw the bomb...

Skler

Smash Master
The upB gives you more height than just blowing up the bomb, the thing about using a nair or bair to break the bomb is that you can have a weak spin and still gain some extra distance. Apparently this can only be done at the top of your jump, however.

Maybe you can throw it straight down and fast fall quickly to catch up to it with the nair/bair to make it less situational?

Just tossing ideas out there, not enough time to test it right now :(

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I dont know if its just the marths i play but I get messed up on Dreamland quite a bit. i played like 10 matches there against a marth who is just learning ATs and he even got a match on me. the other marths that know the matchup usually win there no matter how much i projectile spam and run away. marths uair just kills me. RC is an easy win tho...wow. it was great, never had such a satisfying victory with link. FD and PS are still a little more difficult.

rhan

Smash Hero
Link doing good on Rainbow Cruise? That's news to me. I hate moving stages in general. Link v Marth Dreamland should be the better choice. Then FD if you're very good at playing keep away.

Skler

Smash Master
RC forces characters into the air where the bomb is king. Link's only problem vs Marth on that stage is the ship, which can be brutal.

Marth has to approach if Link gets the right side of the stage on non-ship portions. If Link has a bomb Marth isn't going to have an easy time getting past him. It isn't too tough to keep a Marth away from where he wants to go while you're on the carpets or right before returning to the ship.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
RC has become my favorite Link stage for most matchups. I even beat a really good captain falcon there about 30 minutes ago. i aviod the spacies there tho...fox is ewww. but it has got to be the best against marth. there are no edges except on the ship. and as skler said that bomb is just toooo good. the platforms at the "top" of the stage are amazing for uair combos.

Skler

Smash Master
RC is amazing, it wins tournament matches if people don't think to ban it or understand exactly how vicious bombs can be when combined with forced aerial movement. It helps even up the Falcon matchup, puts Marth and Link pretty much even and removes some of Sheik's stupidest combos.

The only character it doesn't help at all against is probably Fox (and Young Link, but you never really see him in tournaments). Falco is still kind of rough there, but he's rough everywhere.

Also, new Skler related videos!

Skler vs Mango, final round (ROM2 Link ditto, 2nd round pools)

Skler and Pine (Doc) vs Dr. PeePee and LOZR, round 1 (Pound 4 brackets)

Skler and Oine (Peach) vs Dr. PeePee and LOZR, round 2 (Pound 4 brackets)

Skler

Smash Master
I'm updating the guide and adding a new section! Should be done in a few days. Hurray for spring break when nobody else has it :(

UNH is dumb.

On the plus side the update is going to be beyond amazing.

Top Bottom