• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skin Gripe

Zeldark

Smash Rookie
I don't understand how they could replace the incredibly iconic fire flower outfit with the obscure wedding suit. Fire white/red, is in nearly every game? Wedding suit used in 1 game? 2 tops? There are some annoying choices that were made. Who green-lighted this decision?

D

Deleted member

I too hope that we'll still have a Fire Mario skin, it was one of my favorite new additions in Brawl back in the day.

Yeah I dunno why either.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm not a fan of them keeping the Waluigi skin either. It was OK when Mario had the Wario skin and Luigi had the Waluigi, but Waluigi colors for Mario just don't fit. I would have much preferred keeping the Wario colors.

We should never have lost the Fire Mario recolor.

I also miss the dark blue/red Jumpman palette we lost between Brawl and Sm4sh. I preferred that to MarioBros boxart pink/light blue.

Builder Mario is all kinds of awesome though.

link Г

Smash Rookie
Wedding and builder Mario is cool and all, but can we get shirtless Mario?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
See, I'll probably exclusively use the wedding suit. but I'm surprised they'd also 86 Fire Mario

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Not a fan of how they've handled Mario's alts in the past few games.

My preferred Mario alt was always the reversed blue/red "Jumpman" one. Smash 4 replaced that with the cotton candy pink/blue "Mario Bros box art" alt, which is a nice reference but to me looks hideous (plus it's a much less iconic look than the Jumpman one).

After losing the Jumpman alt, I switched over to my second favorite alt: the Fire Flower one. Now that seems to be gone, too, along with the classic "Wario" alt as well. Now Mario doesn't have any alts left that I really like. Builder and wedding outfits are cool and all, but I'm more of a fan of nice-looking, simple color swaps than overt costume changes.

D

Deleted member

The fire outfit is iconic. Not sure why it was taken out hope it returns.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
It does seem very odd that they would remove Mario's iconic Fire Mario outfit. If they were going to swap two palettes for costumes worn by Mario in Odyssey, they might as well have changed out all of them except the golf one since that was in Odyssey also.

I liked the Fire Mario outfit and if it is gone, I guess I'll use the Mario Maker outfit.

I also agree that the Waluigi colors never seemed to make sense for Mario. Couldn't he have had his SMB colors or something?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm not sure the demo showed all the alts. We know Meta-Ridley is an alt for regular Ridley, yet it wasn't present in the demo.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I too really hope Builder and Top Hat costumes don’t end up replacing any of his existing recolors, i also don,t like how characters with alternate costumes only have 8 recolor slots but Little Mac has 16 for some reason.

But the game’s is not finished yet so here’s hoping it gets fixed.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not a fan of them keeping the Waluigi skin either. It was OK when Mario had the Wario skin and Luigi had the Waluigi, but Waluigi colors for Mario just don't fit. I would have much preferred keeping the Wario colors.

We should never have lost the Fire Mario recolor.

I also miss the dark blue/red Jumpman palette we lost between Brawl and Sm4sh. I preferred that to MarioBros boxart pink/light blue.

Builder Mario is all kinds of awesome though.
All of this. I'm upset that they gave Mario a Waluigi skin that they could have replaced with say Ice Mario. Instead, they got rid of the Wario color palette. Why? I didn't even realize they removed the Fire Mario. WTF? Don't get me wrong. I like the Builder Mario and the Wedding Suit Mario, but still, why?

Well, let's just hope those costumes are only missing because this is a demo. If they AREN'T in the full game, my jaw will drop all the way to the earth's core.

(Oh yeah, and here's to hoping he gets his Jumpman alt back.)

D

Deleted member

Will probably use the wedding and builder outfits a lot they look good.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I too really hope Builder and Top Hat costumes don’t end up replacing any of his existing recolors, i also don,t like how characters with alternate costumes only have 8 recolor slots but Little Mac has 16 for some reason.

But the game’s is not finished yet so here’s hoping it gets fixed.
IIRC one of the Treehouse employees mentioned that Little Mac only has two wireframes alts in Ultimate (so 10 instead of 16, unless they removed two "normal" alt colors for him to have 8 skins like everybody else)

As for Fire Mario: in past Smash presentations, Sakurai has often pointed out how tough it can be to see characters from afar, for various reasons. In this particular case, he might have thought that having both Wedding and Fire Mario in a 8-player battle (especially in huge stages) would lead to players confusing the two, because their primary color is white.

IIRC one of the Treehouse employees mentioned that Little Mac only has two wireframes alts in Ultimate (so 10 instead of 16, unless they removed two "normal" alt colors for him to have 8 skins like everybody else)

As for Fire Mario: in past Smash presentations, Sakurai has often pointed out how tough it can be to see characters from afar, for various reasons. In this particular case, he might have thought that having both Wedding and Fire Mario in a 8-player battle (especially in huge stages) would lead to players confusing the two, because their primary color is white.
I mean..... we have Pit and Dark Pit running around togheter, I don't think Mario's gonna have any problem with that.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
That's what I think as well. But Sakurai is known to make odd decisions here and there, y'know? Not dissing the man or anything, but I couldn't think of any other reason why Fire Mario got cut.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Marth has 3 blue recolors for some reason.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m still holding hope Fire Mario will appear in Ultimate somewhere

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm completely blown back that they would remove fire Mario, it's not like the Waluigi alt is doing Waluigi fans any favors anyway...ah well, looking forward to specific alts in Smash always tends to be a bit of a letdown. Let's not forget their apparent hatred of shiny Charizard (no, purple with green wings doesn't count and never will)

Well, remember, this is still just a demo version. Just because these alts aren't in now dosen't mean they won't be in the final game.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Honestly, I have a feeling that the omission of Fire Mario in the demo (along with the Meta Ridley alt confirmation despite not being in the demo either) is more of a soft-confirmation, or just kind of a subtle hint, that most, if not all characters will obtain more than 8 palette options this time around. I wouldn't worry too much yet about Fire Mario being permanently gone.

Exclamation Mark

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5095-5731-3909
His Wedding Outfit looks amazing in my opinion, and so I don't care if we lose the Fire Mario suit because now we have a costume that I personally like more.

Morbi

Scavenger
His Wedding Outfit looks amazing in my opinion, and so I don't care if we lose the Fire Mario suit because now we have a costume that I personally like more.
I prefer the Wedding Tuxedo myself; however, not really sure why the Fire Mario had to go. Even if you wanted to keep it capped at 8 for whatever reason, I would prefer one of the nasty recolors left instead of a lore skin.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
In my opinion, they should've ditched the Waluigi and green alts and kept Fire Mario and brought back the Jumpman alt in their place. Wario alt could either replace the blue/pink Mario Bros. alt or just be retired (since Wario is already playable anyway). That's how I would've handled it, anyway, assuming Mario is still limited to 8 palettes.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm with you guys. Ditching Fire Mario was a really weird choice

That being said, I'd probably instantly forgive it if somehow Smash 64 Mario becomes an alt costume

D

Deleted member

I hope the fire Mario outfit is in, one of his most iconic looks, besides, his tried and true overalls, cap, and gloves. Hopefully it's in.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I may have just had an epiphany...

Maybe Mario doesn't have a certain alt color because Fire Mario is becoming an echo fighter! It is probably his most iconic transformation, and he could use some of his customs from smash 4, like fast fireball and explosive punch.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Fire Mario is iconic, why they would replace it with the wedding suit when there are other skins that nobody cares about is beyond me, but I guess Sakurai is just odd.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this, they should replace Waluigi Mario with Fire Mario, Japanese Boxart Mario Bros. (blue/pink) with Ice Mario, and Japanese Boxart Wrecking Crew Mario (green/brown) with Boxart Jumpman Mario (dark blue/red).
They cut Black/Yellow Mac and Blue Mac, so Mac only has 8 costumes in Ultimate.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Who’s to say though that any of this goes beyond the demo build? I’m all for more skins instead of less, so give Little Mac his other wire frames, and give us more RIdley skins after Meta Ridley, and give us our Mario skins back ;)

Ridely doesn't have his Meta Ridley skin in the demo either so I don't think we should be upset just yet. It is really really odd though.

Mario should really have this as alt by now though:

Also this as a Dr Mario outfit PLEASE Sakurai!

Last edited:
Top Bottom