• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Aim for the head, you won't get caped.

One thing I like to do is jump and fire above Mario, but within Mario's SH range, so that you deny him a little space to jump.

Mario's BAir is probably the most annoying thing in this MU.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
oh yeah

don't be a scrub and forget to DI dsmash

please lucarios

you don't want to be dying early now

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
This matchup is heavily in Lucario's favor. We beat him on the ground and in the air. Mario only has 2 kinds of approaches, short hop fireball and bair.

Dealing with fireball is similar to dealing with Pika's jolts. Powershield or fair them at early percent. Once we start getting the boost, AS beats it.

Dealing with bair is easy enough. If you see Mario jumping towards you with his back turned, he's going for a bair. If we fair it will hit Mario but you might get hit by bair as well. So what I like to do is powershield and punish.

The only way Mario is going to get kills on Lucario is by mindgaming you which will probably happen but avoid them and you win easily. And the cape is nothing to fear really.

And I 3 stocked a certain Mario main on the previous page in tourney.

steep

Smash Lord
Lucario's moves seem to all outspace Mario's in the air, so getting a fair string for Lucario probably wouldn't be too hard and it makes it really hard for Mario to do much about. HOWEVER! Watch out for Mario's up b whenever you feel like you are getting a string going. Up b has disjointed hit boxes and can really be a good momentum stopper.

As has already been mentioned a little, Mario's lack of reliable kill moves / kill setups means a smart lucario will live for a long time. If you can outspace Mario and watch for baits into fsmash/usmash then you should live for quite a while, and Mario's recovery isn't very good and he can be pretty easy to kill so yeah....

I would say this MU is in Lucario's favor, but not by too much.

P.S. The fact that we can't cape you during / at the beginning of your up b is a pain. If Mario is trying to cape gimp you and he goes off stage, just up b through him to the ledge and laugh at our inability to recover well.... But don't get obvious or we'll nair you or something....

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
This MU is stupid. Lucario's D-air is stupid and so are all his moves in the ground. The walls are so annoying to get past. At higher %, even fireballs become really dangerous as AS just goes right through them and hits us during the animation. I'd say the most important thing for Mario in the MU is to save Up-smash and B-throw for kills. Up-tilt too, use plenty of ftilts. B-air is really the only tool we have until we get in, which is not likely to happen if the Luc is playing super safe.

I believe we can stutterstep fsmash on you if you don't space yours fsmash perfectly against our shield. I'm not sure. It's hard to go full aggro on this character because of his stupid d-air. I don't like d-throw in this MU. F-throw for the 9% is better imo.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wow...I fell really far behind in this.

Either way I may redo this in a way since I got ideas doe reinventing how these are discussed.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Requesting that we start to talk about the TL MU because I think there is a lot we could discuss about it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So this thread is far behind, I will be starting it up again in the near future.

If anyone wants to volunteer to help me out please do.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
....Those are somewhat outdated... ZSS should be a bit closer to even, we beat DK, we do not beat Mario that hard, Diddy may be worse, Pika may be closer to even, Marth may be closer to even, and Falco may be closer to even.

What are people's opinions now?

Raven¤

Smash Cadet
hi Red Ryu, actually (2013), How is the MU vs pikachu(+1), Ice climbers(-1), and Peach (+2). Anyone Know?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
When I get time in the next weeks coming up, I'm gonna do a redo of this whole thing so we can get it done right instead of me procrastinating on it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So I got potentially a week off school so...

If I remade the MU thread, what would our goals be?
What is the purpose of it for others to get from it?
What priorities do we need?

I'd like these answered so I can learn how to organize this.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So I got potentially a week off school so...

If I remade the MU thread, what would our goals be?
What is the purpose of it for others to get from it?
What priorities do we need?

I'd like these answered so I can learn how to organize this.
Hm.
Well this is just me, but usually when I read or participate in a MU thread i'm really just looking for everyones views on how they play the match up. Lucario'sa a versatile enough character to the point where many people have different styles for how they play him. I guess if there were to be another MU thread, i'd like focus on how to improve some of our bad match ups.

but again, just me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Just one person, shame.

So far I feel like the goals should be,

Ratios should be an end thought not the first thing. We need to tell people how to play a MU, whatever the ratio is doesn't matter that much, just the info and what to do and how to do it is what should come first.

The purpose is to inform others and get them to play Lucario better and learn to use him better.

The end goal is to make sure people understand what to do, and enforce good decision making from it.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
I would really like to have a list of specific counters to approaches. Something around the lines of this move is good if your opponent tries to do this. I feel like the matchup discussion so far have been way too general. For example with MKs tornado I would like a list of counters such as F smash or as charge at high percent or rolling away and then running up and shielding the mks landing

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
We should have a general idea of what the other characters game plan is also. Figure out how to cover what they want to do.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I would really like to have a list of specific counters to approaches. Something around the lines of this move is good if your opponent tries to do this. I feel like the matchup discussion so far have been way too general. For example with MKs tornado I would like a list of counters such as F smash or as charge at high percent or rolling away and then running up and shielding the mks landing
Lucario actually has a lot of ways around Tornado.

Anyways this topic, I think I know how to move this along, when my finals for school are done I'll start it.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
ok I think I just made some good headway in understanding some matchups. I might post something here as an example of what I would like to see in a matchup guide.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
QD: THE MK MATCHUP

Direct Counters:

· Mk ftilt + mixups

o if the mk likes to use all three hits we can shield + grab or punish how we want. Sometimes we can DI away and punish with fsmash which has more range

o If mk likes to mix up we need to understand what they are trying to punish. Ftilt + dsmash is common because mks expect us to roll behind. We can beat this by approaching with fair + dair but this is risky. We can also delay our roll to avoid dsmash which is very rewarding but risky. We can also try to space fsmash.

o Ftilt + dash grab – this is a common mix up mks use when they condition us to shield. If we expect this we can react by spot dodging or some other evasive option. Ideally we can also jab mks’ approach.

o Ftilt + fair wall – mks use this to wall us out. We can compete with this by trying to space our fairs between mk’s fairs depending on how they are spaced. We can also AS the landing of the fair.

· Dair camping + mixups

o When lucario gets his high percent aura boost mks will tend to avoid being in the same vertical plane as us if we are grounded. If they dair on shield we can punish hard with our fair combos. When they realize this the mk will frequently dair a few times and then nado in anticipation of our attempt to fair approach. If we are fast enough we can still beat nado’s start up because its priority is not high at that moment. Alternatively we can bait the nado with a wave bounce AS. The only problem with the wave bounce AS is that if we do not manage to catch the mk in this trap we are putting ourselves in a worse position (retreating away from the mk).

· Tornado

o Mks have a lot of mind games with tornado. They can cancel it with almost no lag if they end it at the correct altitude. They can pressure shield and then retreat usually safely. They can also fake the retreat to get us to lower our shield and then catch us with the nado again. If we jump, our horizontal speed is slower than mks maximum tornado speed. It is extremely hard to air dodge through tornado because of lucario’s floatyness. If lucario’s shield is low the mk tornado is guaranteed to shield poke lucario (our shield is subpar anyway). Finally, if we are landing, mk can tornado our landing to cover most of our options.

o Dteam if the tornado is obvious and reactable.

o Bair beats nado if we hit the top of it.

o Dair can beat nado – but I’m not sure if it has to do with aura boost or just proper spacing.

o Up air can beat nado if it’s a fast fall up air on the top of nado.

o Start up nado frames are susceptible to all sorts of interruption. Pretty much any of our moves beat it if we catch it early enough.

o AS semi-fully charged beats nado if lined up in the same vertical plane.

o We can pivot grab nado if spaced perfectly.

o Roll + punish

o Shield + spot dodge + punish – if the tornado does not retreat.

o Good mks will try to land behind lucario if they are forced to land close to lucario. Spot dodge + turn around grab or spot dodge + up tilt (covers both sides of lucario) are good options in this scenario.

· Mk glide approaches + mix ups

o Mk has a ton of mixups if we allow him to glide freely. The glide attack can be spaced unpunishably because mk can follow up with an instant grab tilt or dsmash (or sometimes nado).

o The glide itself can be canceled laglessly into the ground and turned into a dash grab when we expect the glide attack.

o The glide can also be used as a bait of our aerial approach. Mk can anticipate our approach and cancel the glide into nado or some other punishing move.

o In general most of our aerials clash with glide attack. That lets us punish a reckless glide with our fair + dair approach. If we don’t have time to set this up we can try to dair since our dair has two hits which means that the first hit clashes with glide attack and the second should connect.

o By moving unpredictably we can cause the mk to misspace the glide attack which lets us shield grab mks landing.

o We can fake an aerial approach to bait a nado and punish with wave bounce AS.

Gameplan:

Mks generally try to play without risk. This means that they don’t try to go for reads, but rather rely on safe pressure (tornado, spaced aerials, spaced tilts, and so on), covering options by putting the opponent in a bad position and punishing when characters have to take risks in order to compete with mk’s safe pressure or to get out of a bad position. Vs lucario, mk can punish non-fsmash or AS ground moves by outranging/outprioritizing us with his own tilts. So when we try to compete with these tilts with fsmash/AS we allow ourselves to be easily read and punished by power shield + grab or whatever follow up the mk wants. If mk waits for us to approach him in the air he can easily catch us with tornado or his superior aerial moves (his fair beats our fair and so on).

Therefore we need to realize what the mk is baiting (roll? Fsmash? Aerial approach?) and use that as a mind game that we can use to our advantage. In general our greatest source of mind games comes from our ASC. Charging ASC lets us channel the mk in predictable ways. If the mk is on the ground they are likely to shield hoping to power shield and punish. We should expect this and delay our aura sphere. This lets us make the mk shield become low if they continue to shield (giving our aerial approaches a high probability of shield poking). If they jump OOS we can read this and intercept them with jump AS. We can also behave as though we are going to AS and then quickly grab the mk. A good setup is sh retreating fair + ASC + AD + dash grab.

Mk Edge guards:

Mks are generally able to pressure us with fairs, uairs safely. Our dairs can compete with his uairs but this can be risky as our dairs can be baited and punished with mk’s shuttle loop sending us in a horizontal trajectory. Air dodging predictably will cause us to be punished with nair, dair, etcet. It is a good idea to accept fairs and uairs rather than try to air dodge in a trajectory where mk can frame trap us. Our double jump is extremely precious. Jump + air dodge gives a trajectory that cannot be inherently frame trapped but can be read. We cannot do this predictably either because losing our double jump puts us in a horrid position.

We need to recover calmly and unpredictably. To accomplish this we need to use wave bounces and dairs to manipulate our trajectory to cause the mk to misspace his frame traps. If the mk overcommits we can try to challenge him with our aerials. Bair is our best aerial for this purpose because it trades with mk’s aerials. Dair, AS, and nair can all be very rewarding for us as they should have enough knockback to let us recover safely.

If we are forced to UpB we need to be aware of all our options. Obviously we can be ledge hogged. Therefore if we up B we need to have at least 2 options to have any chance of recovery. On some stages we can land on the stage or aim for the ledge. If we up B from below the vertical plain of the stage, we can curve our trajectory in such a way as to cover both options meaning if we are ledge hogged we can still curve to the stage but if we are expected to do so we will grab the ledge before our cling occurs. This cannot be done from a vertical plain that is the same as the ledge or above it. Obviously some stages let us wall cling or land on a platform.

Top mks will try to intercept our up B with nair or reverse up B. The reverse up B (anti loop) is particularly harmful to us as it sends us in a terrible trajectory. Therefore if we know that the mk is in position to do this we may need to consider gambling and aiming our up B higher to get hit by the weak part of the shuttle loop that will enable us to attempt another recovery from a better position.

Ledge pressure

Our Dair lets us punish mk’s attempts to pressure us with uair. We can also double team in this position as it is not as punishable as dting on the ground and most mks cannot restrain themselves from pressuring an opponent who is on a platform. We can pressure mk with fair to nair reasonably safely. Mk’s best defense is up B OOS.

Last thing: Our uair can trade with mk’s up B if spaced correctly. This can be really useful because mk will die very early to lucario’s uair whereas lucario should survive up B in most cases. Also our dtilt can beat mk's up B to the ledge if we are edge guarding him.

This isn't super well organized yet but I thought I'd post it to get things started! I'd like to have vid clips showing applications of stuff we mention but I don't have time to do that right now.

Last edited:

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
We should cover throws+ follow ups and counters to follow ups on both sides of the matchup. Also kill set ups. Also ledge options. Also how to di **** (throws, fair nado??? Etcet)

Last edited:

Raiuz

Smash Rookie
I like what you wrote so far! Little addition from me:
-Our F-Smash also beats out Nado. I mustly use this, when I read a Nadoapproach
-I think D-Air beating Nado has to do with proper spacing.Sometimes I manage to perfectly SDI Nado and D-Air him out of it

-When MK glides I like to throw out some BAS to force him on a "path" in the air if he doesn't want to give up his glide, this only works if there's still some distance between you
-Another option I choose is to ASC, wait until it's fully charged then cancel it't into a jump/short hop and fire it, often the MK is cached off-guard and will get hit, even killed if the percentage is high enough, same issue with the distance as above
-Just jump at him to bait out GA, airdodge it und punish with D-Air/ Fastfall N-Air, if he doesn't GA we can just hit him with any aerial

Am going to write some things about kill set ups later

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Some more useful infomation vs MK:

It is possible to get easy fsmash/aura spheres on mk if you bait an up B and wave bounce behind its trajectory. This is also for the glide in general: If mk is gliding toward you and you are retreating you can b revers and land below mk covering his landing /glide cancel options. This can yield easy kills.

Also an MK that likes to "overspace" sh retreating fairs can be punished by shooting aura sphere at the exact moment in which he initiates the sh retreating fair. There is actually enough lag on that move to guarantee a hit assuming that his fair is "wiffed." This is actually a pretty common situation in my experience.

When mk respawns he's going to usually try to use his invincibility to dsmash you and kill you /gimp you. This was a pretty big problem for me because I had a hard time avoiding getting hit. My strategy as of late is the following : go to center stage and wait for mk to move. If you try to run away to a ledge too early you've already let mk box you in and if you want to avoid the dsmash you have to either cross him up, which he can read, or retreat to the ledge, or just shield. If you wait for the mk to move he will either commit to one side of the stage before you do which lets you roll to the other side safely or if he goes straight down toward where you are standing he will have to use up his invincibility chasing you to one side of the stage. I've had a lot of success with this approach.

In general when you get in on MK its good to know exactly when your offense is no longer safe. This is hard because it depends on percents on MK and yourself. Early on throw + follow up is all you will get. Later, if you know his DI you can do some nice mid percent combos. The important thing is that MK will always want to hit you out of a combo and you can read what his habit is in that situation (dsmash, tornado, up B are common ones) and bait one of those options to extend your punish. If the mk likes to nado then you can always jump away and ASC in anticipation of the Nado. Remember that Nado is vulnerable during its startup so if an mk tries to nado out of a combo you will get away with a lot more than if they try to uair or ftilt/dsmash.

If you're on the ledge vs MK that is charging fsmash you can either ledge attack to punish it, or if he is baiting this, you can get up normally and fsmash which will outspace mk's fsmash. I recently killed mk at 69 percent (92 after my fsmash tipper) and it killed across the stage in the top corner with perfect DI on the mk's part.

Of course better mk's won't commit like that but I think its a useful thing to keep in mindh.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll do a write up at some point with the info you guys posted but I will be making individual threads for this like tonight for MK.

Top Bottom