• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sing isn't Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
We don't get a frame advantage from Sing until the opponent is at over 200%. A whiffed Sing can lead to the opponent punishing us horribly. A mis-timed or failed ledge-canceled Sing will cause us to die.

There is NO reason to use Sing in a competitive situation.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
We don't get a frame advantage from Sing until the opponent is at over 200%. A whiffed Sing can lead to the opponent punishing us horribly. A mis-timed or failed ledge-canceled Sing will cause us to die.

There is NO reason to use Sing in a competitive situation.
Don't whiff it.
Don't mistime it.
Don't fail.

Problem solved.

EDIT: To be more specific, the "no frame advantage until > 200%" only applies when your opponent is caught in sing from the very first frame, no?

Hence why I said "mindgames > sing" in the OP.

EDIT2: Please note that I am not suggesting it should be bread & butter. Just that it has uses, and players should learn them.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
EDIT: To be more specific, the "no frame advantage until > 200%" only applies when your opponent is caught in sing from the very first frame, no?
During its initial activation is the only time you'll manage to even attempt to put the opponent to sleep. It's not exactly hard to get away from a move that stops horizontal movement.

Hence why I said "mindgames > sing" in the OP.
I could "mindgame" my opponent into getting hit with a double reversed aerial Warlock Punch, but that's certainly not happening anytime soon.

EDIT2: Please note that I am not suggesting it should be bread & butter. Just that it has uses, and players should learn them.
By all means, show us how Sing should be used successfully in a legitimate match.

You'll be the first.

A respectable amount. I've certainly hit people with it consistently.

Not that the SA scene is top-level play, but I think it counts.
Please throw out a few names or show us some videos of you actually putting an opponent to sleep mid-match without getting punished then. If the opponents are brain-dead, I might have to question the legitimacy of your local scene.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
6 comments in 20 mins on the Jiggs boards, get outta here.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, Sing is made sexy when combined with mindgames.
Catch em on the last frame of sing and BAM there's your frame advantage.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
During its initial activation is the only time you'll manage to even attempt to put the opponent to sleep. It's not exactly hard to get away from a move that stops horizontal movement.

I could "mindgame" my opponent into getting hit with a double reversed aerial Warlock Punch, but that's certainly not happening anytime soon.

By all means, show us how Sing should be used successfully in a legitimate match.

You'll be the first.

Please throw out a few names or show us some videos of you actually putting an opponent to sleep mid-match without getting punished then. If the opponents are brain-dead, I might have to question the legitimacy of your local scene.
Ledge-cancelled Sing is amazing if you can hit with it, which really isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

Warlock Punch is more difficult to hit with than Sing. The "active" frames are out for a much shorter duration of time, it only hits on one side, etc...

Sing can be used for punishing the lag on moves.
For example, a MK player tornadoes, you avoid it/DI out, predict where they will land and start a sing.
Simply bait a move and release.
Can be used when the opponent is occupied with hazards as well.

Names of people I've hit: Jamage, Aces_ and Desert Eagle. Probably Apollo and Gaganova once or twice as well.
No vids, sorry, but you can ask them. Browny knows a few of them as well.

EDIT: Mota knows what's up.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
6 comments in 20 mins on the Jiggs boards, get outta here.
I put the blame solely on myself.

Ledge-cancelled Sing is amazing if you can hit with it, which really isn't as hard as people make it out to be.
It can also become really predictable, and the opponent could easily ledge-hog you. We can't put opponents to sleep in the air.

Warlock Punch is more difficult to hit with than Sing. The "active" frames are out for a much shorter duration of time, it only hits on one side, etc...
It's almost as if I was making a hilariously biased comparison with no regards to the current move in question.

Sing can be used for punishing the lag on moves.
For example, a MK player tornadoes, you avoid it/DI out, predict where they will land and start a sing.
Simply bait a move and release.
Can be used when the opponent is occupied with hazards as well.
If you're wanting to punish, then why not use F-Smash, DACUS, or Guthix forbid, Rest?

Names of people I've hit: Jamage, Aces_ and Desert Eagle. Probably Apollo and Gaganova once or twice as well.
No vids, sorry, but you can ask them. Browny knows a few of them as well.
And take time out of my busy schedule? I'd rather not.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I put the blame solely on myself.

It can also become really predictable, and the opponent could easily ledge-hog you. We can't put opponents to sleep in the air.

It's almost as if I was making a hilariously biased comparison with no regards to the current move in question.

If you're wanting to punish, then why not use F-Smash, DACUS, or Guthix forbid, Rest?

And take time out of my busy schedule? I'd rather not.
Look, don't you go an take credit for the activity increase in here. It was MY trolling that got people to post here.

How much are you using it so it becomes predictable? If it is going to hit, use it, if it isn't, don't use it.

A hilariously biased comparison with no regards to the move in question!?

Sing will almost always be an instant kill, those won't.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Look, don't you go an take credit for the activity increase in here. It was MY trolling that got people to post here.
There's a difference between "trolling" and posting idiotic statements. If you were trying to incite any feelings of anger or "rage", then you've ultimately failed.

I ain't even mad.

How much are you using it so it becomes predictable? If it is going to hit, use it, if it isn't, don't use it.
Personally, I'm not using it at all. If you happen to use it once and miss, the opponent will adjust their ledge play accordingly to prevent them from getting punished.

A hilariously biased comparison with no regards to the move in question!?
Right.

Sing will almost always be an instant kill, those won't.
lol but sing don do no damaages

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
There's a difference between "trolling" and posting idiotic statements. If you were trying to incite any feelings of anger or "rage", then you've ultimately failed.

I ain't even mad.

Personally, I'm not using it at all. If you happen to use it once and miss, the opponent will adjust their ledge play accordingly to prevent them from getting punished.

Right.

lol but sing don do no damaages

Haha. Oh God.
I'm not going to even bother arguing with you anymore, your clearly an idiot.

Sing is the most powerful move in the game if you sweet-spot it.
noob.

Judo777

Smash Master
Heres the reason sing sucks.

Its only real application is using it on the ledge with is retardedly dangerous. People like pit can kill you at 0% for trying it. People with good spikes can also take u out farily low.

The last reason it sucks is because in the example u gave of somehow being able to predict ur opponents landing far enough in advance to sing them with the later frames isn't likely at all. Even more so if u can precti ur oppoents landing hat far in advance..... why not just rest them or punish them with the move that u plan on hitting them with once u land the sing? It would honestly be easier to hit someone with a fully charged move than to sing someone that late in the animation. So just do that and dont risk missing sing.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Heres the reason sing sucks.

Its only real application is using it on the ledge with is retardedly dangerous. People like pit can kill you at 0% for trying it. People with good spikes can also take u out farily low.

The last reason it sucks is because in the example u gave of somehow being able to predict ur opponents landing far enough in advance to sing them with the later frames isn't likely at all. Even more so if u can precti ur oppoents landing hat far in advance..... why not just rest them or punish them with the move that u plan on hitting them with once u land the sing? It would honestly be easier to hit someone with a fully charged move than to sing someone that late in the animation. So just do that and dont risk missing sing.
*Sigh*
Way to ruin a great thread.

T-block

B2B TST
Why are we so active now of all times?

I'm gonna leave this open, because it looks like we're actually discussing the applications of Sing lol

He claims he's trolling but I actually agree with several of his defences on the move.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Why are we so active now of all times?
I'm telling you, it's because I'm here.

I'm gonna leave this open, because it looks like we're actually discussing the applications of Sing lol

He claims he's trolling but I actually agree with several of his defences on the move.
You do realize that he's saying nothing more than "Don't screw up Sing" and that one can actually BAIT someone into falling for Sing. Also, he mentions nothing about potential follow-ups and how Sing itself is the kill move.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I thought you were supposed to use sing to punish dodges, and get frame advantage by catching them with the last pulse.

T-block

B2B TST
Yes I realize. But Sing definitely is easier to land than Warlock Punch.

In any case, we can discuss now lol... I think I've landed it off reading a ledge roll before.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yes I realize. But Sing definitely is easier to land than Warlock Punch.

In any case, we can discuss now lol... I think I've landed it off reading a ledge roll before.
This a million times.

This is useful to consider in matchups like vs Snake, Donkey Kong, and Bowser, since their edge games are total trash and you can use this option to sorta cover both ledgestand and ledgeroll feasibly to sorta "hit confirm" into a free Smash/Rest.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This a million times.

This is useful to consider in matchups like vs Snake, Donkey Kong, and Bowser, since their edge games are total trash and you can use this option to sorta cover both ledgestand and ledgeroll feasibly to sorta "hit confirm" into a free Smash/Rest.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

Though I will say that landing Sing is more viable on characters with larger frames, it's generally much harder to properly follow it up.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
OP either doesn't know what the hell he is talking about or is a troll.

I still flagged him for being a troll though.

This game has been out for years, sing has been the same for all games and only use sing has is edge cancel, and it only works on people who don't know about it READ: no one decent

the people you play suck big time if it's working for you.

lock please.

You do realize that he's saying nothing more than "Don't screw up Sing" and that one can actually BAIT someone into falling for Sing. Also, he mentions nothing about potential follow-ups and how Sing itself is the kill move.
This. Wake up mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom