• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon/Richter Video Database

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Edit: I am going to change this into a game-play footage, Guide, and combo video database of sorts

This one has some really nice combos

Last edited:

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
My only fear was the lag of its projectiles, and its effect with the parry. but seeing it in video calmed me down.
ezgif-1-4afe35754658.gif

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Wow that is a fast follow up, so at midrange looks like projectiles will be safe on shield. Nice find!

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
glad we got a look at jab, and how the dangly whip works. i think the only moves we dont have footage of now are throws. i cant seem to find the video in full 60fps, so no frame analysis yet. hopefully thatll be uploaded to youtube at some point.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
his attacks look great. but his air speed isnt too great as excpected, which also means that his recovery seems kinda garbage.

I like what i saw with his ftilt. really looking forward to abusing it for spacing. all in all , i get some ike and robins vibes, which is great in my book. seems like a character i will enjoy playing a lot.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
glad we got a look at jab, and how the dangly whip works. i think the only moves we dont have footage of now are throws. i cant seem to find the video in full 60fps, so no frame analysis yet. hopefully thatll be uploaded to youtube at some point.

his attacks look great. but his air speed isnt too great as excpected, which also means that his recovery seems kinda garbage.

I like what i saw with his ftilt. really looking forward to abusing it for spacing. all in all , i get some ike and robins vibes, which is great in my book. seems like a character i will enjoy playing a lot.

The landing lag with the neutral looks so bad, but i need play to know it. Also i think the best recovery is with the vampire killer, however, i think i saw a short distance of recovery with the whip, I hope I'm wrong and that it resembles the distance of zero suit.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
TBH I like the character and I like his overall design, but from a competitive standpoint, I don't really think he will be any higher than a mid-tier. Mostly, I think his poor overall mobility and recovery will hold him back. I think some of the quicker, rushdown characters will give him fits. But he could be a good counterpick character. Of course, this is just a hard guess since we don't know what the meta is going to be like.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Same. They gave Ken his proper finishers, so it only makes sense Richter have his.
To be fair, Richter can use grand cross in multiple games, but I would have prefered hydrostorm as well. "HYDROSTORM!!"

Miley

Smash Cadet
TBH I like the character and I like his overall design, but from a competitive standpoint, I don't really think he will be any higher than a mid-tier. Mostly, I think his poor overall mobility and recovery will hold him back. I think some of the quicker, rushdown characters will give him fits. But he could be a good counterpick character. Of course, this is just a hard guess since we don't know what the meta is going to be like.
Super solid counter pick for anyone who has trouble getting in. That'll be my main usage of Richter.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I was hoping they'd talk about the whip's ability to absorb(?) certain types of damage, like how Richter's whip becomes a fire whip after deflecting Samus's missile:

I'm just curious to see if it can take on other properties.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
I was hoping they'd talk about the whip's ability to absorb(?) certain types of damage, like how Richter's whip becomes a fire whip after deflecting Samus's missile:

I think is just the animation.

I think the characters are the same, one rumor is the diference in the jab, but i see the both jabs and are the sames.

ezgif-1-19eabaafe01f.gif

ezgif-1-9281030aa19a.gif

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Well knowing you can cancel dash into anything. Dash away ftilt/fsmash with that range sounds pretty nasty. And dash into 2x dtilt away sounds like a cool mobility trick. He does have 2 recoveries

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If no one confirmed this, seems you don't have to do the lunge lick after the sliding dtilt.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
They were on my list before, but I’m liking what I see from the Belmonts. They’ve got ridiculous range—A Forward Smash longer than Corrin’s? FTW—strong attacks, they look a bit heavy so I that’s easier control for me imo. I prefer to keep my opponents at a distance so I can think and perform slow and decisively. So they might be good replacements for Dedede.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

Pretty sure that's just the whip hitting both Samus and another missile she fired.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Just saw the match with Richter vs Sheik durring the Japanese tournament.
Ftilt is pretty good at keeping them away and hits above as well.
Specials are amazing, Cross flies really far and hits hard, the axe killed her as 68! (56:45 in Video).
I didn't see holy water used effectively. Mobility wasn't terrible.

This is probably our best example of gameplay from the belmonts at 53:34

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
yeah watching the tournament now. Brood is giving us a good look at just how awesome Richter can be. and it looks like tether might have more range then we think. I get the impression that up B won't actually be our main recovery option

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Brood put in some good work, rushdown characters like roy seem to be a big problem for us. spacing practice with specials is going to be really necessary. Brood probably could have used Nair more in some situations.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Here are the last matches with Richter vs Roy!

Edit: Here is another one where he whips pit, This one shows off upair very well. There is no more richter after the first battle.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I WANT THE GAME NOW. Let me play my demon-slaying daddies!!

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Some people are saying that Richter is faster and has less lag. Can anyone verify this from what they have seen?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I think the belmonts are gonna play in a way like Rosalina. using disjoints to just stuff peoples approaches and control the pace of the match. while their frame data looks slightly slower there is still enough speed there to keep up. Brood showed some cool stuff but I also thing he was respecting his opponent to much and approaching too much. up tilt looks like a good tool for stuffing air approaches. and I do like that we have a normal jab. so that if they do get that close we have an option besides grab to keep them on their toes.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I just wanted to say that f-tilt and f-air look hilariously good. F-tilt is decently fast with low endlag for a move with so much range, and f-air looks like it has very little landing lag. That recovery is completely awful though, so I hope Richter can tether grab the ledge with uair.

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Here is some gameplay from simon, It is kind of hard to follow and they aren't very good

DiSCERiTY

Smash Rookie
I just hope to god Richter isn't better :/ I really want them to be the same just so it is up to the player who looks visually better, not who plays better.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I just hope to god Richter isn't better :/ I really want them to be the same just so it is up to the player who looks visually better, not who plays better.
yeah I want them to be comparable. but I still want them to be different. Ideally they will be equally good but have certain things that make them better at different match ups. giving us more options.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Then there's no point in making them separate characters. Damage and property differences are guaranteed.

DiSCERiTY

Smash Rookie
Then there's no point in making them separate characters. Damage and property differences are guaranteed.
Well honestly, I want there to be differences, but I don't want them to be so apparent that it makes one better than the other, like Dr. Mario and Mario in Smash 4. Anyways, so far, Mew2King has reported that Simon's Bair has two frames less landing lag, but he thinks Fair might have a bit more landing lag to even it out. What do y'all think?

Phatty

Smash Cadet
Well knowing you can cancel dash into anything. Dash away ftilt/fsmash with that range sounds pretty nasty. And dash into 2x dtilt away sounds like a cool mobility trick. He does have 2 recoveries
I do agree that he has great tools and a good neutral overall but most top tiers have good mobility and they're great at edgeguarding. I think he'll probably end up kind of like duck hunt who also has a good neutral based on keeping people out. I can see him harassing a good chunk of the cast but the characters that handle projectiles well, zone break, and attack from funny angles will give him nightmares. And most of those characters are probably top tier.

As far as the tether recovery goes, that will help him out at low to mid percents. He won't get the cloud or little mac treatment of getting hit with a downtilt at 0% or anything like that. But at higher percents, like say 80% and above, his slow drift will be a problem and he won't be able to mix up how he approaches the edge either since his up special goes nowhere.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
I am going to change this thread into a video database of good examples of gameplay, combo videos, and guides.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
RAWFOE is uploading a ton of super cool 1v1 no item matches, i really hope that chanel doesn't get targeted from Nintendo casue this stuff is great for hyping up!.

Simon got an actual crouch walk like in Super Castlevania IV... How cools is that????

Holy water can be grabbed like an item? this actually could end being quite interesting XD

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
That match with Richter was really awesome, It seems like we will have some super frame traps with projectiles and fsmash combo, when he used the axe to cover ledge and then fsmashed right as he got up, that was amazing,

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
RAWFOE is uploading a ton of super cool 1v1 no item matches, i really hope that chanel doesn't get targeted from Nintendo casue this stuff is great for hyping up!.

Simon got an actual crouch walk like in Super Castlevania IV... How cools is that????

Holy water can be grabbed like an item? this actually could end being quite interesting XD

That victory animation on the Lucina match though... "Some people say that Simon is still jumping to this day"

I don't think I've posted in the Simon/Richter boards as of yet, but they are shaping up to be more unique than I imagined, and seeing them played with capable hands really makes me want to pocket him; he looks immensely fun to play.

DiSCERiTY

Smash Rookie
Also, now that we are closer to release, it has been datamined that Simon and Richter have the exact same properties. They have the same weight, speed, power, frame data, everything.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Also, now that we are closer to release, it has been datamined that Simon and Richter have the exact same properties. They have the same weight, speed, power, frame data, everything.
There still gotta be something different between these two that makes them both unique in some way. Anyone have any idea what the differences are between Simon and Richter?

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
There still gotta be something different between these two that makes them both unique in some way. Anyone have any idea what the differences are between Simon and Richter?
The flame from Simon’s Holy Water is orangish red. Richter’s is a bright blue.

Top Bottom