• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon or Richter?

Who's the better Belmont and Vampire Hunter?

• Simon, always go with the OG.

Votes: 71 48.0%
  • Richter, ( hell the guy's name means Judge for Christ's sake!)

Votes: 77 52.0%

• Total voters

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
Richter is actually making me consider buying a switch to play this game.

Rondo of Blood was everything that made classic Castlevania great, before it shifted into the Metroidvania style. Richter is my favourtite Belmont as a result, and I am SUPER glad he was adding as an echo for Simon.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Conan the Barbarian. He's the OG Belmont, and the face of the series. I like Richter, but I have way more memories with Simon than I do Richter.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Richter, definitely. Whenever I play against bayonetta Ill always start the match with " Die monster! You don't belong in this game!"

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I honestly don't know Simon at all other than being the OG Belmont. Although I started playing this series through Rondo of Blood, I prefer Simon's design overall.

He vaguely reminds me of Gabriel Belmont's design, which is probably one of my favorite Belmont designs in the series.

Essora

Smash Cadet
I think I'll probably end up using them about 50/50, they both make me feel some kinda way, and for different reasons

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I'll play classic Simon more, but I'll give Richter some combat time too. My two favs in the series are SCIV and Rondo, after all.

I really appreciate that Sakurai kept Simon's classic design too. His rugged manliness really stands out from the rest of the cast!

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I grew up on the original NES trilogy, so I'm far more familiar with Simon than the Metroidvanias. OG for me. Obviously I'll go with Richter if he ends up controlling better to my style, but you never forget your first Belmont.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I was a big advocate for Simon in smash but only cuz hes the most iconic representative from the series. If I were to pick one serious whip user from cv it'd be simon. But I like Richter a lot more so i'm super glad they added him in, and if they're the same I'd definitely pick him :love: but realistically i'd pick the better if they're different.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, I think I'll just try both. Honestly, I can't say I favor either too much over the other, but I'll try Simon first, then Richter to see how they play.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I played SCIV 1st but I love SOTN the most but I never played Rondo of Blood...

I dont know who to pick honestly. It would probably come down to playstyle for me.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Richter. He is HOT.

Besides, dabuz said that simon had a good dair while richter had a terrible one. Where is the source? Any other difference between the two?

Xiammes

Smash Cadet
I'll be switching between both assuming there aren't major differences on how they are played. Like if Simon or Ricther get a marth/Roy/Lucina thing that could change things up, like the tip of the whip has more knockback for someone.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Richter was always my favorite Belmont but I do like Simon as well. Im not huge on the classic simon look but I get why they did it. I will be maining Richter though.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I don't know much about Castlevania, but this

this makes me love him. I will play Richter. Being the originator of "Die monster! You don't belong in this world!" scores bonus points.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I'm partial to Simon since his design is super macho. Richter looks cool, but doesn't stand out as much as Simon next to Smash's many existing prettyboys.
Same reason for me. I love Simon's Conan the Barbarian look, his look adds something unique to the cast. Nothing against him, but Richter looks like he could be Fire Emblem character.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
What's really convenient about both Simon and Richter being in the game is that I mainly play Super Smash with my brothers, and we try not to step in each other's character territory. One of my brothers really wanted Simon because he really likes Super Castlevania IV, but I would've liked to play as him, too. But since there's Richter, I can have him instead (and I like him more because of Symphony of the Night) while my brother can take Simon (who he likes more).

So that worked out well for me. Never would've expected that.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
as a proud igavania fanboy, Richter is going to be one of my mains.
i kinda dislike simons generic conan the barbarian look. i much prefer ayami kojimas (no relation to hideo kojima) design. i adore her "bishonen, but baddass" artstyle employed in both her work in sotn and chronicles. hoping the chronicles design becomes an alt for simon, much like how i hope richter gets an alt based on his artwork from sotn (in-game he re-used his rondo of blood sprites, but in the artwork he takes on a wildly different appearence befitting of him falling under the control of draculas minions.)
a bit bummed blood relations/ strange bloodlines isnt among the tracks to be played in the draculas castle stage. you know, richters boss fight in sotn that is a dark, twisted version of divine bloodlines.
Mains so far: :ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultridley::ultrichter::ultfalcon:

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Same reason for me. I love Simon's Conan the Barbarian look, his look adds something unique to the cast. Nothing against him, but Richter looks like he could be Fire Emblem character.
funny you should mention that.
Richters modern voice actor is david vincent. who also voices Robin (the male voice for robin)

Mime-Control

Smash Rookie
Simon for me. I never really knew about Richter since I've never invested myself in any of the Castlevania games, but I knew that Simon was the best face representative for the series since he was in the original titles. Plus I just like Simon's older, barbarian look more than Richter's younger, bishonen looks. Makes him feel a real gruff badass.

Iridium

Smash Hero
It's been 15 days, and I still stand by my opinion. I probably will primarily go Simon, and maybe use Richter if I really feel like it.

Maikou

Smash Ace
So, like, basically, every single character in the game besides the villains are my secondaries, I just favor a few over some others, though it depends on my mood. I'll play both the Belmonts, but I favor Richter because of his design, more endearing personality, and overall just feeling overall lighthearted and more heroic compared to Simon. Ironically, my first Castlevania game was Castlevania 1 on the Wii's Virtual Console, and I've never played Richter's games. I also feel like the overall moveset fits Richter more than Simon, as Richter is more recent in-universe as well and thus has had time to not only master the techniques of his ancestors, but create his own.

That's not to downplay Simon though. I won't deny he's got a lot of appeal to some as a rare embodiment of pure, raw masculinity with only maybe his long hair being any sort of "pretty" in a cast that's mostly comprised of guys who have at least some sort of pretty boy traits, and it's hard to deny how badass it is that Simon only had the Vampire Killer and a few holy weapons when he killed Dracula. Which I know he did at least twice, but did he ever fight Dracula again after Simon's Quest? Like, canonically. I know he's been in a lot more games, but I don't really know the specifics.

Ultimately, I'm really happy they're both in the game, I love how they both echo each other in some regards, and I'm going to enjoy both.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm definitely going with Simon. Super Castlevania IV is one of my favorite games in the series, and my second favorite classicvania is Chronicles.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I love that they went with the classic barbarian design for Simon, but I'm going to have to go with Richter "Die Monster! You don't belong in this world!" Belmont. Also, most of the moveset belongs to Richter, so it would feel weird to play as Simon with Richter's moves. Still going to use Simon regardless though.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Simon for sure. Richter is awesome, but CV1 is my favourite classic Castlevania (followed by Rondo, to be fair) and Simon is the Belmont I really wanted. ;)

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Definitely Richter. I'm not a big fan of Simon's barbarian look, and Richter just looks so cool.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Is official now that they only have visual changes? if thats so im probably playing 50/50 or 40%simon and 60% richter...

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
Gotta be Simon. He just looks so much more like a vampire hunter, conan the barbarian style. He's a unit. Richter's cool, and I love that they incorporated him into the moveset so much and I'll probably use him sometimes as well but Simon is just way cooler imo.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Kinda wish we had the red-haired anime Simon! His face right now looks like something outta Marvel Ultimate.

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Simon. Mostly because he's among the least "anime" human-like characters in Smash.

And before you ask anything about my taste, Mario and Meta Knight have cartoon-based designs.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm a pretty casual Castlevania fan, the only games I managed to beat were the ones that starred Simon ( and portrait of ruin ), so he's my pick... however, I do have memories of downloading a rom of Dracula X that, for whatever reason, had a built in cheat code menu before you started the game. I guess I technically beat that game too... but I absolutely cheated.. I don't think I would have beat it otherwise, that Dracula fight was a load of crap.

What I'm saying is, my pick is Simon, but if there had to be a second Belmont in the game, I'm glad it's Richter.

Top Bottom