• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SIGNUPS: These are things I like - The Mafia game

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Good Morning, Good Afternoon, and Good Evening. And welcome to "These are things I like: The Mafia Game" Where the flavor of the game is based off of pop culture/media that I like, including video games, movies, celebrities, books, and more. Flavor will have no importance in the long run, just something fun I wanted to include. Set-Up is a closed setup and I am aiming to have anywhere from 9-13 players.

01. Be kind to each other.
02. Do not edit your posts. Feel free to double post for corrections if necessary.
03. Vote in bold; you do not have to unvote to vote a new person. Please try to place your vote at the top or bottom of the post to help prevent mod errors.
04. Days will last for roughly 4 days, Nights will last for 24 hours. Day will end early if a majority vote is reached. If no majority has been reached by the end of day, the player with the most votes cast against them will be eliminated. In the event of a tie, the player that gets to that number of votes first is eliminated. There is no twilight phase.
05. You are allowed to vote for No Elimination.
06. Don't talk about the game outside of the thread unless your role says you can.
07. It is preferred you ask questions to the mod in your role PM.
08. No hidden code and text and such. You can breadcrumb.
09. You can not post screenshots containing any private data, or reference any private data such as the time a PM was sent, etc. You can not directly quote any PMs from the mod or reference any pictures. Screenshots of personal notes are OK to post, as long as they contain no mod data.
10. No posting in the thread when you are dead, or during the night phase.
11. Prods will be issued for not posting for 24 hours. Three prods will get you replaced.
12. Failure to submit a night action will result in no action being taken.
13. Rules are subject to change, and if the rules are changed post game I will make an announcement doing so.

Player List:

1. Gorf
2. Kary
3. LaserGuy
4. Chaco
5. Dark Horse
6. Frozen Flame
7. Pythag
8. BoomFrog
9. Sabrar
10. Synchronicity (Xivii and Bessie Hydra)
11. Somitomi
12. Malakandra
13. Wam

Replacement List:
1. Fontisian
2. Osie

Feel free to ask to spectate as well.

Last edited:

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
/in
Not sure how the short day phases will work for me, but I'll give it a go. Would it be at all possible to try to finagle things so that deadlines don't typically fall on the weekends?

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
/in
Not sure how the short day phases will work for me, but I'll give it a go. Would it be at all possible to try to finagle things so that deadlines don't typically fall on the weekends?
Yeah, I'll try to figure something out! Just to confirm which weekend days should I try to avoid for deadlines?

Chaco

Never Logs In
/in to actually solve right this time

Solid line up so far though

Last edited:

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Ideally both Saturday and Sunday. I basically have one block of time in the evening where I can post on those days and that's it so if the deadline is at an awkward time from that period then I'm kind of out of the game during a critical phase. If it has to be on a weekend day, I guess Saturdays are better since at least I can post a bunch on the Friday.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I'd like to see some of those pinged play so am leaving the slots open.

I'd like to spec though. giraffelasergun giraffelasergun what do you think of having the spec posts use spoiler tags like I did for oasis (except in a private chat), so spectators can retain their replacement potential?
Please no. I'm not sure what exactly you're proposing but if it's close to what you did for Oasis it makes me uncomfortable.

I feel like if you want to spec and potentially replace, you can message the mod directly with thoughts.
(Then if during postgame you want to share those thoughts you can multi-quote them into a thread.)

If you want to spec and talk to other people, you compromise your opinion in doing so and probably shouldn't replace in.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
As to who I want to play with, those are just the people that sprang to mind from my last game on here.
I'd be happy to meet new people as well for sure, as long as they're going to be active.
I might even be nice for a change.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I feel like if you want to spec and potentially replace
This is correct. I'm proposing what I did for Oasis but in a private chat. So you can post your thoughts without being spoiled if you want to replace in. If you're signed up as a replacement, you don't read the spoilers. And as a private chat, it eliminates the potential for actual players being spoiled on accident. It's no biggie either way, but I like reading people's thoughts post-game.

Edit: Also it makes it less clunky by eliminating the need for two spec chats.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I support Xiivi's proposal and I think it's not meant for interaction between spectators so there shouldn't be a problem.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
giraffelasergun giraffelasergun are you capping at 9 when it fills and just modifying if additional slots want to join?
I would like to get more than 9, maybe 12 or 13 so I was planning on waiting a weekish to see if we can get there, but In the event we don’t I’ll have a setup meant for 9.

I'd like to see some of those pinged play so am leaving the slots open.

I'd like to spec though. giraffelasergun giraffelasergun what do you think of having the spec posts use spoiler tags like I did for oasis (except in a private chat), so spectators can retain their replacement potential?
I think what I may do is have a chat where people will know the setup, a chat where people don’t. I would prefer potential replacements to not be in any spectator chat, and I have the feeling not everyone would trust that a replacement would not have read any one else’s thoughts if they participated in a spectator chat. I would be more than happy to have potential replacements PM me there thoughts and then I can post them in the without setup knowledge spectator chat.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Nah you shouldn’t let people replace in if they’ve been talking to other people so I don’t see why you can’t just talk to the mod on your own. Plus there’s no way to make sure that no one’s reading the spoiled messages before replacing in. Above all this seems like a huge risk for a very marginal benefit.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
We did just fine in Oasis Mafia. You wouldn't be meant to be interacting / talking with people in Xiivi's proposal. It'd just be you posting your thoughts into the void and then end game everyone would read them. On the final point, it would be based on an honor system. Yet you could talk to the mod on your own sure. I'll leave it at that though. Like Zen, I don't mind if it's not considered.

Last edited:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Yeah but it’s still a huge risk for very little benefit. Just because it worked well for oasis doesn’t mean it’ll work perfectly in the future. I think glg’s “you can pm the mod your thoughts and he’ll put them in the spec chat” is the best compromise

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I'd love to /spec

About to start working on a play so I'm not sure I'd have enough time to contribute as much as I'd like. If it hasn't started in a week or two and I realize I have enough time I might join, but I don't wanna commit and not be able to deliver, yk? Lol

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Yeah but it’s still a huge risk for very little benefit. Just because it worked well for oasis doesn’t mean it’ll work perfectly in the future. I think glg’s “you can pm the mod your thoughts and he’ll put them in the spec chat” is the best compromise
I don't really think it is for the player base. Like it's not something I would have proposed during the nzone era, or if unknown/new players were involved, but I don't see anyone here taking advantage like that. Every game on xkcd people could place their thoughts in the social thread spoilered and there was never any problem as far as I know, with the occasional accidental spoiling, in which case the player informed the host privately (only happened once my time playing there and this concern is removed if it's done via private chat rather than a public thread).

Again though, no biggy.

fontisian

Smash Champion
We did just fine in Oasis Mafia. You wouldn't be meant to be interacting / talking with people in Xiivi's proposal. It'd just be you posting your thoughts into the void and then end game everyone would read them. On the final point, it would be based on an honor system. Yet you could talk to the mod on your own sure. I'll leave it at that though. Like Zen, I don't mind if it's not considered.
You can get these benefits without risking accidental spoilers by doing the following:

1. Make a discord server for the game. Have a spoiled and an unspoiled channel for spectators. Let players into either channel when they die if they're interested.

2. Give each player a private quicktopic to record their thoughts. Offer one to any interested spectators or observers as well. These can then be shared at the end of the game and can be very fun to read through.

By doing this, you get the comradarie of spec chat along with the experience of reading through players' and observers' private thoughts when the game ends, all with no risk of accidental spoilers. You also don't have to worry about limits on the number of people you can add to private conversations through this site. Win-win.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Yeah I like the idea of having quicktopic journals for each player and having them linked in the spec chat OP.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
You can get these benefits without risking accidental spoilers by doing the following:

1. Make a discord server for the game. Have a spoiled and an unspoiled channel for spectators. Let players into either channel when they die if they're interested.

2. Give each player a private quicktopic to record their thoughts. Offer one to any interested spectators or observers as well. These can then be shared at the end of the game and can be very fun to read through.

By doing this, you get the comradarie of spec chat along with the experience of reading through players' and observers' private thoughts when the game ends, all with no risk of accidental spoilers. You also don't have to worry about limits on the number of people you can add to private conversations through this site. Win-w
Yeah...

Yay!

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
With Sabrar we have reached 9 ins, but if I missed someone please notify me.

I would like to see if we could reach 12 or 13/have a few replacements so I may wait a week still to start.

Last edited:

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
f it, /in

provided of course that people don't expect the same amount of content from me that I had 3 years ago and that we lynch all lurkers and liars with extreme prejudice
I will have no trouble self voting in this case :p

Top Bottom