• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side up-B possibilities

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
HIIIIIII!! Kirby has just been announced and shown off for Project M. He looks like he's been very much improved in a few ways. One of the most notable is that his up-b can now move sideways. Although it's obvious that new possibilities are always good, we have to ask ourselves what we can do with them.
Personally I think that this will give him another approach option, and a quick movement option, especially when wavelanded.
Feel free to discuss more ideas on how to use this move, and how it would interact with the rest of his moveset.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Kinda wondering if you can Inhale after it, and actually catch someone reliably. Being able to rush an enemy down and swallow the whole sounds awesome, and possibly even effective.

More importantly, though, this thing needs a name! Normal Up-B is "Final Cutter," and this new move doesn't seem to have any particular basis in the Kirby games. Cutter Rush, maybe? First Cutter seems apt, since it seems to start combos well, but that has the same initials. Genesis Cutter?

I might be bad at names.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Kinda wondering if you can Inhale after it, and actually catch someone reliably. Being able to rush an enemy down and swallow the whole sounds awesome, and possibly even effective.

More importantly, though, this thing needs a name! Normal Up-B is "Final Cutter," and this new move doesn't seem to have any particular basis in the Kirby games. Cutter Rush, maybe? First Cutter seems apt, since it seems to start combos well, but that has the same initials. Genesis Cutter?

I might be bad at names.
Well, since you can waveland out of it, I'd guess you could quickly get an inhale out of it on the ground, not sure about the air though. It would be pretty insane if he could just cancel it like Quick Draw.

Cutter Rush sounds pretty cool.

Sobreviviente:
"I hate this move with flame passion.
I just want to slide of an edge, come on."

Why don't you like it? I personally think it could be quite useful. Besides, we can already slide off of the edge with our dash attack, and if you want to go straight off the edge, just SH before doing the move.

P.S. In case you can't tell, I'm not the most familiar with all of the features of the forum yet, sorry. :lick:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Why don't you like it? I personally think it could be quite useful. Besides, we can already slide off of the edge with our dash attack, and if you want to go straight off the edge, just SH before doing the move.
Useful? of course it is, is PM, but that doesnt mean i like it.
And i just want to say i hate it >;P is like brawls hammer, not fun.

Slide works completely different in kirby games, i may create a thread about it later.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Useful? of course it is, is PM, but that doesnt mean i like it.
And i just want to say i hate it >;P is like brawls hammer, not fun.

Slide works completely different in kirby games, i may create a thread about it later.
Oh, you meant slide like the actual Kirby games, I though you just meant sliding in general. I think that Kirby's slide could be a good crouch tilt, or maybe d-smash (but I think that his current one fills the role better). His slide would give him a really cool way to duck under projectiles, so I could picture it being pretty useful.
That said, I don't think that the sideways cutter was ever going to be the Kirby slide, and they fill different purposes.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
That said, I don't think that the sideways cutter was ever going to be the Kirby slide, and they fill different purposes.
I know, but i just feel to compare them :p

I just cant believe we dont have one of the basic kirby moves yet, i have hopes for it in smash 4, but after watching wario canceling his boulder dash by crouching like in his games, im just shocked to see this horizontal cutter thing before the slide.
I know this is based on kirby super star but really xD

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
I know, but i just feel to compare them :p

I just cant believe we dont have one of the basic kirby moves yet, i have hopes for it in smash 4, but after watching wario canceling his boulder dash by crouching like in his games, im just shocked to see this horizontal cutter thing before the slide.
I know this is based on kirby super star but really xD
It is rather odd when you think of it. Also, I meant to ask in my last comment (forgot halfway through) what's your problem with Brawl's hammer? I find that the one in Melee is only as useful on the ground, as its greater range is hurt by a huge sourspot, and I've never found any use for the Melee hammer in the air.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
It is rather odd when you think of it. Also, I meant to ask in my last comment (forgot halfway through) what's your problem with Brawl's hammer? I find that the one in Melee is only as useful on the ground, as its greater range is hurt by a huge sourspot, and I've never found any use for the Melee hammer in the air.

I myself like to use it on edges for some reason, and i kinda got the range move and conect most of the time, but yes, it sucks.
I just preffer when a move is closer to the game it came from, feels more natural, and sd remix did a good job with it for example.

Again, is not that is bad, but warios bike wasnt bad neither...

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty annoyed seeing this cutter dash or whatever. I remember posting somewhere being worried they're going to make Kirby faster and have more movement stuff before this new trailer. Kirby doesn't need to be faster. I think a lot of characters don't need to be faster, but whatever.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
I was pretty annoyed seeing this cutter dash or whatever. I remember posting somewhere being worried they're going to make Kirby faster and have more movement stuff before this new trailer. Kirby doesn't need to be faster. I think a lot of characters don't need to be faster, but whatever.

I thought that Kirby needed the arial mobility, and I was happy to have his PAL running speed. Why do you think he doesn't need it? How do you play where this boost in speed wouldn't be useful.

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
eh, sorry. He definitely needed some speed buffs compared to his melee self. I was thinking of an earlier developer build from before 2.6 that I really liked. Or maybe it was 2.0? I can't remember if kirby has been playable yet.

I'm generally of the camp of less is more. If his recovery sucks, that was okay with me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Cutter dash as of right now has no fancy cancels or anything like that. It doesn't have much endlag though.

GeZ

Smash Lord
dat cutter.

I'm mostly curious about if it can be cancelled to a grab or inhale

It's not cancellable but has such low endlag and lets you waveland so both of those options are totally feasible, and I can confirm that Cutter Dash can lead to grab as I tried, and succeeded in doing so. Definitely character/ percent specific but still existent.

eh, sorry. He definitely needed some speed buffs compared to his melee self. I was thinking of an earlier developer build from before 2.6 that I really liked. Or maybe it was 2.0? I can't remember if kirby has been playable yet.

I'm generally of the camp of less is more. If his recovery sucks, that was okay with me.
I think the main/ most noticeable buffs are the ones on his priority, or I guess it's probably hitboxes, on his moves. Nair is the best example as that thing will straight devour a lot of your opponents prospective ripostes.

Rizner

Smash Ace
It's not cancellable but has such low endlag and lets you waveland so both of those options are totally feasible, and I can confirm that Cutter Dash can lead to grab as I tried, and succeeded in doing so. Definitely character/ percent specific but still existent.

I think the main/ most noticeable buffs are the ones on his priority, or I guess it's probably hitboxes, on his moves. Nair is the best example as that thing will straight devour a lot of your opponents prospective ripostes.
What about if they shield your side-up-b? Can they grab before you land? Can you air dodge away then land on the ground, or does it wavedash away? Are you pretty much out of luck in that situation or can you move fast enough to get out of a grab punish?

GeZ

Smash Lord
What about if they shield your side-up-b? Can they grab before you land? Can you air dodge away then land on the ground, or does it wavedash away? Are you pretty much out of luck in that situation or can you move fast enough to get out of a grab punish?

I think that's a matter of spacing. I'm not completely sure, but I think that it has a set distance and doesn't cancel on contact with opponent so at maximum distance (connecting with the sword during the spin at the very end) I think you have a good chance of being able to air dodge away from them. Alternatively If I am remembering right in that it goes a set distance you could pass through the opponent and pressure from behind so they can't just grab OoS.

Doq

Smash Lord
Completely irrelevant to the above few posts:

If you position yourself just right, you can pseudo-wavedash. (like just above the edges of stages, or next to slopes)

Top Bottom