• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B to Grab

handog99

Smash Rookie
When I play as ness against my family, I always use the pk fire into a side grab. It racks up like 24% damage if done correctly. I'm thinking about starting to go to tournaments and compete. The thing is, does this combo work in tournament play? Or are my family members just that bad?

FamiGrafx

Smash Rookie
You can SDI out of PK Fire, so you won't get it as often, but it's still fairly dependable imo. You'll certainly have a smaller window to grab against any player who SDIs properly, so it's a good idea to be ready with other followups too.
Just in case, here's a brief explanation of SDI, along with other forms of DI. It's Melee, but the mechanics are all the same.
http://smashboards.com/threads/a-gu...-teching-and-crouch-cancelling-updated.60218/

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
If you're going to use that as a movement disrupt-er and to start a combo into something else, I'd use a move with that covers the adjusted distance from the SDI. If I PK fire and catch them close, I usually go for a cocky bat and if they're far I'll just dash attack.

shepdogg

Smash Rookie
This is a pretty common thing for Ness to be able to do and if you land a pk Fire about 80% of the time you'll get a grab depending on which way they di and whether they are hit in the back or front or whatever. But the problem is that grounded pk fire is very punishable if they just shield or even absorb or reflect so be careful always running in for a grab right afterwards. I've gotten quite a few f-smashes to the face because of my instinct to go run up and grab After pk fire.

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
Just make note that it's very easy to avoid PK Fire, which means it's also easy for a player to punish you for using it. You'll want to rely on ALL of Ness's tools, so start playing around with everything he can do.

Top Bottom